Why was movie Doctor Doom pretty much just Electro?

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

I have always wondered why Dr. Doom in the 2005/2007 Fantastic Four movies was basically just Electro. Think the writers were just lazy or think that they had to nerf him to make him beatable or what?

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701
deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Because FOX has never known how to portray him in a movie.

Skardas_Videk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much this haha

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paperbatvg said:

Pretty much this haha

Such a same too because they did a great job with the Four. Just sucks because Doom is such a great character.

Skardas_Videk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom:

It's an unpopular opinion, but I too actually enjoyed the first two Fantastic 4. Thought Silver Surfer was awesome. Galactus....well, not so much.

I hope the MCU makes Doom into the next big threat.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom was basically electro because they didn't have time to give him more powers. Doom in comics is a mystic master but he needed time to learn.

Overall it was a good set of films

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care what anyone says, I get a real kick out of that FF movie.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skardas_Videk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@depinhom said:

@skardas_videk: Do you think they'll introduce him soon?

I'd say it'll be awhile yet. Definitely a good few years

Upendi3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Upendi3000

Dr. Doom in Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes is the only good portrayal of him outside the comics. One of my favorite moments in the show.

Loading Video...

skywalker95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ignorance of the source material or just laziness.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By brucerogers

Bad writing.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skardas_videk: Gotta be smart about it too. So far though the MCU has proved they handle villains well.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@depinhom: I mean, I think they handle them better than most, but "well" might be an overstatement. When they do villains right they do them VERY right, but in total I think they've only managed that for like 10-20% of the villains they've portrayed. The others are technically comic-accurate, but are somehow much more... bland.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@njchrispatrick: Which ones do you have in mind when you say that? I guess the most bland ones I can think of are Iron Man's, but the rest are pretty great overall.

njchrispatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom's inaccurate movie portrayals never struck me as being because FOX COULDN'T do him right, but more because they (mistakenly) thought that they shouldn't. I mean the era of movies during the 2005 Fantastic Four leaned heavily into more realistic villains, and Doom, although iconic, definitely can come off as larger-than-life. I don't think FOX thought they NEEDED him to be perfect, if they got the overall themes down. Unfortunately they misidentified what those themes were.

To be honest I still get a ton of enjoyment from the 2005 Fantastic Four. It's not perfect, but it's still enjoyable enough to watch now and again. I definitely want a more comic-accurate Doom--assuming that Marvel can pull that off--but that version was still fun enough to earn it an honorary place alongside all the other wasted Marvel villains.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The comic accurate Doom, as beloved as he is in fan communities has a pretty complex backstory and power set. You'd need to establish not just the concept or magic but superhuman technology levels just to scratch the surface of his power set. In a Fantastic Four origin story movie which already had to explain four heroes that just wasn't possible to do without becoming a complete mess. Giving Doom electric/metal powers contrasts what the team could do and still gave an excuse for the character to obtain his iconic look.

That's one of the reasons why I'm glad that the Fantastic Four are coming back to the MCU. With Doctor Strange and Iron Man having franchises in that continuity all the groundwork is set up to do a completely comic accurate Doom and have him actually work and play off a lot of pre-established lore.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#21  Edited By KrleAvenger

Because establishing a character is too much for Fox. What we need is means to an end with zero logical sense and explanation, Jessica Alba fan service, scenes with them just being in skin-tight costumes, filler with no super hero stuff, and fighting evil only when either you yourself cause the trouble or you and only you is the one who is gonna die. I mean, they had a character as complex and interesting as Wolverine and they couldn't do anything with him with 5-6+ movies and 17 years. Don't expect them to do Doom justice.