Why was Bucky Barnes made to be the Winter Soldier?

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mister_Surreal

I honestly can't figure it out, why did Hydra choose Bucky? They could have gotten anyone to become the Winter Solider and yet they chose the guy who was Captain America's best friend. Pretty much anyone could have gotten the job done and the chose the guy who Captain America could get through to the most easily. So why did they choose him?

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Zola experimented on a bunch of soldiers in Buckys camp before Rodgers saved them he also experimented on Bucky and it somehow worked having a Super soldier is a very valuable asset Caps friend or not he was dead anyway not to long after Bucky was found

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelanddcfan24: So they chose him purely because he was the one person that the experiment worked on? That seems like a big coincidence.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By ProfessorRespect

I mean, Bucky must have been one of the best around if he was with Cap. Basically everyone knew of how effective he was on the battlefield.

They wouldn't have thought about Cap getting to him as he was missing in action for decades, so everyone believed he was dead. Also keep in mind that they never said that Bucky was the first Winter Soldier, so it's possible that there were others before him that failed or didn't survive the process. I guess Bucky was the most reliable, based on how uncontrollable some of the later subjects were.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why wouldn't he be? IIRC they found him when he fell from the train and decided to test stuff on him. So I guess it's just luck that they found him

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 The_Hajduk  Online

In the comics, the Russians (not HYDRA I don’t think) literally stumbled across his body in the water. There’s a small flashback scene in the movie that shows HYDRA pretty much did the same. As for why they then decided to take his body and do something with it? Because he was known to be one of the most effective soldiers in the war. He was Cap’s partner because he earned it in the comics (and probably the movie too, but the comic shows his training and skills more so we can say for a fact that he was already one of the best fighters in the world). Why WOULDN’T they want that kind of power on their side? Captain America was known to have changed the war, and if you can’t get Cap, they went for the next best thing.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Because they wanted to watch an epic Super Soldier fight filled with heated drama between former best friends. Then Cap has to go get frozen in ice, so they were like, dang, now we gotta make this guy not get old, cuz I really want to watch that fight in case Cap gets not dead.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: Cap theorized that a similar version of the SSS that Bucky was given when he was a prisoner must’ve have aided him in surviving the fall.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

Because they wanted to watch an epic Super Soldier fight filled with heated drama between former best friends. Then Cap has to go get frozen in ice, so they were like, dang, now we gotta make this guy not get old, cuz I really want to watch that fight in case Cap gets not dead.

Lol, this.

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am assuming we are talking about the MCU.

@tparks said:

Pretty much this. Everything else is mostly just head-canon and explaining away problems.

The writers demanded Bucky Barnes to be the Winter Soldier, so be it. And as for MCU, since Bucky Barnes is adapted from the Marvel Comics' incarnation, of course they had to follow what happened in the comics.