Why Thor: Ragnarok is not and will not be considered a comic book movie classic.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Thor: Ragnarok was a blast of a movie: it did to Thor what TWS did to Cap, Hulk's characterisation and performance were on point, Valkyrie, Korg and Grandmaster were awesome, it was a funny film, it was full of colour, and had a good soundtrack. I would rate it an 8 on a whole. So while I consider it a great CBM, it is missing that something to make it a classic, something to put it over some of the best MCU films. I don't think it's the humour: after all, all of Waititi's films are hilarious and no one is complaining. The problem is IMO, that the movie isn't really about something. I don't mean it has to be this super dark, super serious, deconstruction of superheroes, but even Spider-Man: Homecoming was about something - which is Peter being an inexperienced hero, wanting to join The Avengers, but deciding to help the little guy instead - that is the emotional core of the film. Hell, even The Avengers about something: the team putting their differences aside to save the world. Logan is about something. The first Thor was about Thor learning the value of selflessness.

Ragnarok isn't really about something. I mean sure, there's a plot - it is about something in literal terms - but what's the movie about metaphysically? What's the emotional core of the movie? Sure, they threw in this thing in the end with Thor realising he is something even without the hammer, and that Asgard is the people, not the physical location - but neither of these were consistent and built upon throughout the film, they're kinda just last second.

So yeah, just some shower thoughts. Wanted to hear what everyone else thinks.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I disagree

It was the wackiest, most free MCU movie yet and will be a cult classic

Avatar image for deactivated-5a13797b4eb42
deactivated-5a13797b4eb42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're spot on, I just don't think that's what they were aiming for. They wanted a good Thor movie for once, but I don't think they were aiming for a Dark Knight/Logan level of film.

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How many comic book classics are there in the first place?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're spot on, I just don't think that's what they were aiming for. They wanted a good Thor movie for once, but I don't think they were aiming for a Dark Knight/Logan level of film.

Like I said in OP, being about something doesn't need to mean The Dark Knight/Logan. Homecoming was neither of those movies, but it was still a coming of age story about an inexperienced hero who decided he wants to stay close to the ground and help the little guy instead. That was the emotional core of the film.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashugan said:

How many comic book classics are there in the first place?

The Dark Knight, Logan, Spider-Man 2, The Avengers, X2: United etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a13797b4eb42
deactivated-5a13797b4eb42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I think it was about Thor finding out he was the God of Thunder, not the God of Hammers.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By APEX_pretador

Because it was rushed, couldn't get serious when it should have, didn't quite follow up from where it left and didn't live up to the hype

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly thought metaphysically it was about moving on from the past and looking towards the next chapter of one's life

Thor- I think this part for him is captured not only in him finally becoming the king of Asgard, but also when he's talking to loki in the elevator and accepting that there's not a point in trying to change his brother and that he is who he is

Loki- obviously the elevator scene, seriously, if you pay attention to Loki's facial expressions during that scene, you can see some sadness when Thor grows past trying to change his brother and him suggesting they never see each other again

Valkyrie- obviously becoming an alcoholic following Hela slaughtering most of the Valkyries

Odin- he chose to ignore his past (no matter what that meant doing) and simply focused on strengthening Asgard and becoming a benevolent king

Light1150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is hard to be a comicbook movie classic, out of the era of dceu and mcu films I can only name 6 out of roughly 35 films that will be classics. It is hard and everything needs to go right for certain films to be classic.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

The thing I find most interesting is the subtext questioning Asgard's imperial past and rewriting of history, that hit me the most and I think it's no coincidence the director happens to be of Maori descent. I thought it was clever how he snuck that in.

But if you look at the trilogy there's a story of Thor wanting the throne without understanding it... Understanding it and running from it... And then finally accepting it for his people, understanding the alternatives (Loki or Hela) would be their downfall. So I think it does complete the overall arc of the Thor trilogy about Thor the 1,000 year old child growing up, he's certainly not the same character he was at the start of the first movie. That's the main non-abs related reason I like him in the MCU - he learns and keeps learning.

That and the fact it's a total pisser.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I'd say it wont be because its just not a very good movie and it lacks the significant something to make it memorable. Like in a few years I imaging its the kind of thing that will be played during a dull saturday afternoon.

Ianosm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: kind of disagree. I think there was an arc the film that dealt with quite a lot really.

If you look at it from the perspective of Asgard being the protectors of the 9 realms for ages and how being all but destroyed.

Also from the perspective of Thor rejecting the throne previously because he doesnt feel hes ready and now being forced to take up that role.

The realisation of his true power and hes not dependent on mjolnir in the way he thought he was.

Loki realising his brother is on the verge of not caring about him and also that Odin still loves him in spite of all hes done.

Hulk/banner dealing with the core of who is the dominant personality and what it means for the other.

Sure it deals with things in a lighthearted way but I dont think that diminishes the film. If you think about the end result it is actually one of if not the darkest marvel film as Thor has lost nearly everything by the end, hammer, dad and his home.

Maybe reading too much into it I admit but I genuinely felt when Thor was looking at himself in the mirror with the eyepatch he was realising that he is expected to be his father now and all that entails.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MonsterStomp

I'm all for comedy, but I mean, even something like Rush Hour had its emotional connections. The tone was pretty one dimentional in Ragnarok.

At least the cast had fun. Hemsworth pretty much said a lot of it was improvised to see what worked and what didn't.