Why the cape?

Adidas Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Adidas Demon

Why do super heroes/villians wear capes? Super Man, Captian Marvel, Martian Man Hunter, Sentry, Gladiator. Bat Man uses his cape for things sometimes. But besides looking cool, it seems like the cape might be a bother.

Unbelonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Unbelonger

Capes are symbols of importance. it's the only reason i can think about.

zzzzzzzzzzz

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Nighthunter

because they look cool, they don't need anything else lol

Apparition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Apparition

Nighthunter says:

"because they look cool, they don't need anything else lol"

no clothes?

Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Nighthunter

Apparition says:

"Nighthunter says:
"because they look cool, they don't need anything else lol"

no clothes?"

touche

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Andferne

There's actualy a exsplanation for the capes in the MMO City of Heroes. I wish I remembered what they said about them and thier importance (I beilive it was more like a symbol). Once you hit level 20 you had to do a quest to unlock capes so your character could wear them.

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Rotten gun

they look cool when your flying... i would rather say "why the undies outside your pants?"

Adidas Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Adidas Demon

Well, That's just a comfort thing. Ever try it? It's heaven.

Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Ms. Invisible

What Nighthunter said: "They look cool." I think it's the image of a flowing cape that gives readers and viewers a sense of pride and empowerment. Wonder Woman doesn't wear a cape, though if you look at issue 13, she's wearing a cape on her cover, and along with her pose, gives a feeling of Wonder Woman's presence being a strong one.

hell-spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By hell-spawn

spawn uses his cape to fly and it takes the form of an axe called agony (axe agony)in the video games spawn has featured in. it also kills people at spawns will.

spawns flying:

spawns cape as axe agony:

and spawns cape killin a guy:

Post Edited:2008-01-21 01:43:31
Post Edited:2008-01-21 01:48:27

Rotten gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Rotten gun

Hell_Spawn says:

"spawn uses his cape to fly and it takes the form of an axe called agony (axe agony)in the video games spawn has featured in. it also kills people at spawns will. spawns flying: spawns cape as axe agony: and spawns cape killin a guy:
Post Edited:2008-01-21 01:48:27"

spawn always looks cool

Sling Shot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sling Shot

originally capes were a mechanic of art to depict motion. Later writers found purposes for their character's to have capes. Batman's cape acts as form of misdirection, disguising his weapons and has protected him from harm and assisted him in gliding, Supes cape is made from his Kryptonian blanket and has super qualities. but mainly they look cool and add drama.

Necro-Mimic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Necro-Mimic

Capes kill people. One guy got sucked into a turbine. Another's cape snaggged a missile. Capes are evil!!!!!

kuchiku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kuchiku

Necro-Mimic says:

"Capes kill people. One guy got sucked into a turbine. Another's cape snaggged a missile. Capes are evil!!!!!"

incredible's lover!!

freak

Garison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Garison

because some villains are mysterious and wear capes. Some villains have it because its apart of there outfit are it looks cool on them.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#16  Edited By The_Martian

Marvel has a mojor lacking in the capes. Most the poeple that do are Batman/Superman version characters.

Moon Knight - Batman

Sentry - Superman

Hyperion - Superman

Gladiator - Superman

There are others that have them that aren't based off of them but not nearly as many as DC seems to have.

Andferne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Andferne

Thor wears a cape (along with most of his copys), Adam Warlock did(not sure if his new version does), Dr Strange, Vision, Storm (at times), Dr Doom (more of a hooded cape), Stryfe, Magento, Quasar, Scarlet Witch, Cloak, Kang, Hobgoblin, Mephisto, White Queen (90s), are some others in marvel that wear capes or have in one variation :)

But of course for every one I named there are tons more that do not.

Thinking about this I also like the example from the Incedibles and why they dont wear capes. Jet engine ftw

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#18  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Sling Shot says:

"originally capes were a mechanic of art to depict motion. Later writers found purposes for their character's to have capes. Batman's cape acts as form of misdirection, disguising his weapons and has protected him from harm and assisted him in gliding, Supes cape is made from his Kryptonian blanket and has super qualities. but mainly they look cool and add drama."

Sounds right.

This thread is an excuse to post Mr. Majestic's fur-lined cape:

On a Marvel thing, I think it's funny that the troops sent to stop heroes are called "Cape-Killers" when most Marvel heroes don't actually have capes.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Static Shock

Post Deleted.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Static Shock

I don't mind capes at all. But, if I ever wanted to make a superhero, he wouldn't have a cape.

speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By speedlgt

doesnt it go back to the kinghts and such who would wear capes? or cape type things. they were seen as heroic so superheros trying to make that heroic connection have capes

BlackPanther

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlackPanther

Hell_Spawn says:

"spawn uses his cape to fly and it takes the form of an axe called agony (axe agony)in the video games spawn has featured in. it also kills people at spawns will.spawns flying:spawns cape as axe agony:and spawns cape killin a guy:
Post Edited:2008-01-21 01:48:27"

spawns cape is something else. its alive, a living part of spawn, which is why it changes shape.

WARLOCK2792

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WARLOCK2792

I think I know about Storm and Black Panther. Storm & BP often wear capes. I think that it is because capes can also be seen as a sign of royalty or political power. Besides that, the majestic flow of a cape can't be pulled off by everyone (if Professor X ever wore one, that would be a damn shame) but for the ones who do pull them off, with their posture and body movements, capes can add to the actual feel of the character.

Copy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Copy

I'm guessing the cape can be a symbol for superheroes. Like Superman he has a cape. And when kids put towels on them and pretend they are superheroes. And it can also be symbol for demonic creatures or something like that. Like Dracula and spawn.

Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DEADPOOL

Capes are fun!

Unbelonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Unbelonger

I agree with that. On the other hand, there are characters that were born to wear a cape and shouldn't be taken off them unless is circunstancial. An exapmle of it could be Dr Strange or Dr Fate.

zzzzzzzzzzz

White Phantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By White Phantom

I think it's just for looks, but on TV, capes do seem to get in the way a lot. Sucked into stuff, grabbed by bad guys, stuck on things, stuff like that.

SilverZeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By SilverZeo

If hero wear capes to be cool, then why do they wear color undies? I mean look at the first Robin outfit, and Supes too. What do you think that means?

Doomhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Doomhunter

SilverZeo says:

"If hero wear capes to be cool, then why do they wear color undies? I mean look at the first Robin outfit, and Supes too. What do you think that means?"

They were probably cold down there....LOL

Adidas Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Adidas Demon

I wonder why they didn't give Captain America a cape.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#31  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

Because wearing a flag would look ridiculous and that's the only kind of cape he could wear. Even Citizen V was pushing it.

Dash Dangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Dash Dangerous

It's regal and scary?

I imagine it creates a bigger target for baddies to shoot at, thereby making physical injury harder to attain with a gun?

I have a question about the Superman's blanket thing... didn't John Byrne's revamp in the 80s wipe that out? In the first few issues of the new Supermasn, it was revealed he had like a 'natural force field' that protected him from bullets etc, and also protected his clothing, and his cape was constantly in tatters (this tactile telekenesis is also where Superboy's powers come from) Has that gone back to the old way....

Jet Speeeeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jet Speeeeed

Andferne says:

"There's actualy a exsplanation for the capes in the MMO City of Heroes. I wish I remembered what they said about them and thier importance (I beilive it was more like a symbol). Once you hit level 20 you had to do a quest to unlock capes so your character could wear them. "

It is a symbol in MMO City of Heroes the story behind it is that Hero 1, the hero that gave his life in the first Rikti invasion to turn the tide in the war, wore a cape. And because of his sacrifice Statesman declared heroes to stop wearing capes in honor of him. This is why capes was not in issue 1 and 2 and i believe capes came in in issue 3 or 4 and the reason behind it is that Statesman soon believe that we actually should be wearing capes in honor of Hero 1. So at leave 20 you get a mission to go to protect a time capsule(believe it is Hero 1's) from the Rikti and you would be honored to wear a cape.