inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

If you're a wrestling fan, then you probably saw last night's episode of Raw where Stephen Amell, the star of CW's Arrow took on Stardust and it was announced Amell, teamed up with Neville (whose finisher is the Red Arrow, so it's Red Arrow and Green Arrow together) would face Stardust and King Barrett at Summerslam, one of WWE's bigger PPVs of the year.

Now, you might be thinking "why are we talking about wrestling on a comic book site?" These two are so interconnected it's crazy. Comic books and professional wrestling have an immense amount of similarities. Just to kick things off, let's present the first piece of evidence for the comics/wrestling connection: Stardust's entrance attire.

No Caption Provided

If you're looking at this outfit, scratching your head and can't pinpoint where this costume comes from, then you may need to read up on the X-Men story line, "Inferno" because that cape is 100% inspired by Mr Sinister. Even on Twitter, Stardust posts references to comics here and there, and so does Cody Rhodes, the person many people say is behind the facepaint, but frankly, I don't see it. Cody has his own, separate Twitter account and post images of comics he's reading, like SECRET WARS. Normally, I'd share the image, but his account is private. but just imagine the cover to SECRET WARS #3.

Ok, so it's apparent that Stardust likes comic books in some way. Big deal. Lots of people like comics, right? Why does that connect to comic books?

Now, fiction in general is really about the protagonist overcoming obstacles to defeat the antagonist, even if said antagonist isn't a living, breathing thing. But where comics and wrestling really cross over is the simplification of that formula. Mainstream books, for the most part, pit a "bad guy" against a "good guy" and after tensions build between the two characters, they fight, and most times, good triumphs over evil. And both avenues have this level or "normality" where things can get reset back to what fans are used to. After an event is over, the heroes go back to regular life and feud with a new villain. The same goes for wrestling.

What's been happening, for months, is that Stardust has been taunting Stephen Amell, on television, and when Amell finally shows up to a live event, there's a little big of a brawl, which, in turn, turns into a big PPV match at Summerslam where we see if the Green Arrow can take down the insanity of Stardust.

Warning: Insanity coming your way.

In both comics and wrestling, it's all about the buildup to that final fight. For months, Stardust taunted Amell, and we're finally getting the fight between them in a couple of weeks, and if you think about SECRET WARS, since it was already mentioned once, the buildup in NEW AVENGERS and the first few months of SECRET WARS are both the precursors to this final fight, which I'm sure will be good, but a big part of the story is building up to those moments through story. Final fights are memorable, but you can't have them without a set-up.

Let's not forget the many, MANY wrestling characters that have appeared in comics as well. The only real problem is that I can't tell you anything memorable or worthwhile. However, we have had wrestlers like Mick Foley and CM Punk write comics. It's a New Day in comics and wrestling and putting Stephen Amell in a Summerslam match seems nutty, but it actually makes complete sense. Comics and Professional Wrestling are so similar it hurts: The "larger-than-life characters," the unstoppable forces, the storylines, the giant summer events.

If you want to see the moment Amell fought back, check out the video below.

What do you think about the wrestling and comics connection?

Rag_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

As totally cheesy as this whole thing is, I could not help but cheer Steve Amell, ya just can't help but dig that guy.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've always said wrestling is real life Comics. Heroes, villains, colorful costumes, muscular men and hot women in scantily clad clothes. Wacky names and themes.

It fits to have this. Hell, Stardust sounds like a Green Arrow villain.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

post-Attitude Era wrestling is garbage

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Undertaker had a good comic.

Avatar image for amazingspiderdan
AmazingSpiderDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't watched wrestling in few years.

What... What happened to Cody Rhodes?

Doc-Holiday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By Doc-Holiday

@sprior93: True, this is the first match I've seen in a long time

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@sprior93 said:

Yep. We still have our memories, though...

Swabbleflange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wrestling and comics, eh? Time for the return of Krozor!

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

I haven't watched wrestling is such a long time, I may have to check out this fight tho. @inferiorego is Stardust related to or have a connection to Golddust. I remember Golddust but don't think Stardust was around while I still watched.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

I enjoy stardust but..This angle is straight up Monkey crap. WWE booking has been weak.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, this crossover is just stupid. Guess I would care if I actually watched/liked Arrow.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I haven't watched wrestling is such a long time, I may have to check out this fight tho. @inferiorego is Stardust related to or have a connection to Golddust. I remember Golddust but don't think Stardust was around while I still watched.

They're real life brothers and the sons of the late wrestling legend Dusty Rhodes.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By donmeca2020

Another big ploy to get people to watch..... i recall dennis rodman, lawerance taylor, Mr.T, the names are endless. I also recall a famous female fighting against either chyna or one of the hot blondes on WWF (WWE). Either sable or tori.

Good ol wrestling...

Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

As fun as it is to see Amell in a WWE ring, Stardust needs to go back to being Cody Rhodes. While I'm sure he's having a blast, he's too skilled as a performer to serve as a celebrity's punching bag. He has the in-ring and promo skills to hang with the Cenas and Ortons.

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't watched wrestling in few years.

What... What happened to Cody Rhodes?

He and Goldust were tag-teaming for a while and when they lost the titles and went on a losing streak Cody told him he was going to find the perfect partner for him. Thus, Stardust was born. Somewhere along the line he turned heel and broke away.

Anyway, I don't watch wrestling actively anymore but Stephen Amell really sold that little bit well. He looked legitimately pissed and I got into it even knowing that he's been actively trying to get involved with WWE like all year.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm surprised that Hurricane Helms didn't come to Neville's aid as well.

Loading Video...

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HAHAHAH Stardust is insane lol

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't like wrestling, but i'll watch this fight.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#21  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

this is gonna be awesome

~MiB

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like wrestling. I can't suspend my disbelief like with comics, because these are supposed to be real people in real life fighting in a ring. Ive seen real wrestling and noone gets thrown off cages or against the ropes.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait this really happened? lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was very excited to see Stephen Amell on RAW. He's an actual wrestling fan though and not just someone they're paying to promote their show, so it will be cool to see someone who actually cares put on a show in the ring. Amell actually looked pretty smooth in the ring.

jack16ichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That first video made me really happy to see Stephen Amell punch him in the second lol

I haven't been into WWE for years but this is still pretty cool.

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really really don't understand what there is to like about this stuff. Maybe it is because i`m brazilian.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Second Rate Batman vs Second Rate Goldust.

It makes perfect sense.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This makes exactly as much sense as Stephen Amell having a freestyle battle with GFK.

rememberyhorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a wrestling fan, but I always seem to enjoy wrestling content on the site.

I would watch wrestling if Stardust hatched a century long plot to overthrow Triple H with a clone Andre the Giant.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always said wrestling is real life Comics. Heroes, villains, colorful costumes, muscular men and hot women in scantily clad clothes. Wacky names and themes.

It fits to have this. Hell, Stardust sounds like a Green Arrow villain.

I'm kind of hoping Cody/Stardust can appear on Arrow season 4 as a Villain for Green Arrow.

Second Rate Batman vs Second Rate Goldust.

It makes perfect sense.

Batman wishes he could hang with Stardust...

@sprior93 said:

Yep. We still have our memories, though...

...They wrestled in the Attitude Era?

Seems more a blur of beer and puppies.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: With Ziggy Stardust.

Not this clown.

Cody Rhodes Mustache was more over that this guy.

Also, your comment on the attitude era is spot on, people has a crazy case of nostalgia about that.

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yes, the Attitude Era was great but now is the PG era. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Enjoy this for what it is, a genuinely good crossover that makes sense unlike when Triple H, did that whole Terminator Genisys thing at Wrestle Mania. It's going to be fun, enjoy it.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By Darling_Luna

Amell is one cool cat

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sprior93 said:

Very true. I'd say everything after the fall of WCW was a big trip downhill. Vince being second, however briefly, sparked that once in a lifetime situation where they were willing to try new and crazy things and it led to the Attitude Era just killing it with story beat after story beat.

Once the only true competition was gone, swallowed up even, it all went downhill so fast. Competition breeds excitement, causes promoters to take risks. Even if you hated WCW (and by the end of it all who didn't?) even die-hard WWF(and later E) fans owed them a debt for that wonderful period of unmatched creativity in the Pro Wrestling space.

Man, there's was nothing like a live WWF show in that era. I was lucky enough to attend 4 of them, one of which a PPV which I had floor seats to. Undertake threw Kurt Angle into our row! It was so cool, they were just right there! We even got to take the chairs home after. You have to wonder who came up with that idea? "I know, let's get the whole arena pumped up on adrenaline and alcohol and then send them home with what functions as a weapon in our story-line!"

flaggsarmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That video was hilarious

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great article, except for the very first line.

"If you're a wrestling fan, then you probably saw last night's episode of Raw..."

Lol, wrong! But I did seek out this segment because it's a pretty cool mid-card angle. The only logic necessary is that Stardust is a nutcase and Amell don't take s#%t from no one. I can kind of buy it because he plays that type of guy on TV. To be honest, the only pieces that don't fit are Nevill and Barrett. They seem like background pieces to me, especially the floundering King of the Ring, Barrett.

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By d9000

@inferiorego:

How often does Stardust dress like that? I've never seen it before and the picture looks outdoors. Was it Wrestlemania?

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least it could better then Bam Bam vs Lawrence Taylor

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

STARDUST....You have FAILED this arena!

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm actually excited to see how the match goes down.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 owie  Moderator

Wow, that is totally hilarious. I don't care about wrestling, but they do a good job of sucking people in and putting on a good show.

Makes me think back to Andy Kaufman.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are a wrestling fan you are watching Lucha Underground.

Not RAW.

Avatar image for sirdoctoroftardis
SirDoctorofTARDIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d9000:Neville is there to do most of the wrestling for the good guy team and because he's been feuding with Stardust in Amell's stead for the past few weeks and they've been playing up the comic book angle. Neville was probably chosen for the role because he's crazy athletic and is the type of guy who'll keep new viewers watching after Amell leaves. You're right about Bad News though, he's just there so the two heroes don't "heroically" gang up on the bad guy.

webheadcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bone-Saw is ready!

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are a wrestling fan you are watching Lucha Underground.

Not RAW.

Don't be that indie smark....

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Manchine

I haven't watched Wrestling in a long time. I have to say I watched this episode just because of this.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really glad the article didn't make references to the comic the WWF (before it was WWE) had in the 90's. I'd prefer to pretend it didn't happen.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

And for a moment there I thought that I might start watching wrestling again.....

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

... I might actually watch this. I've never been a wrestling fan but this sounds neat