• 166 results
#1 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

Ring Feat:

For proving this, I'm gonna be using some of the commentary from Avengers: Infinity War. I believe these Director's comments are valid in reinforcing what was said and seen On-Screen

Now, many have claimed that Thor only had to break the ice because the rings moved on their own after the ice was broken, hence the machine was doing most of the work. I'm going to explain why that's incorrect:

Etri: You'll have to restart the forge. Awaken the heart of a dying star

Thor: Rabbit, fire up the pod

What we can take from this dialogue is that the forge needed to be restarted, obviously, and that they needed to move the rings to restart it. Not once is the ice mentioned here, and what that leads me to believe is that the rings needed to be moved to kick start/restart the engine, very similar to how you pull a cord on a lawn mower to get the engine going

This scene was meant to be visually stunning, showing the incredible power of Thor. This is further proven by the Director's comments made while Thor was moving the rings (IW Commentary)

Joe Russo: And, Thor, one of the things I loved about him as a kid was the fact that he was a god. And that his abilities were god-like. And this is like the Trials of Hercules

Mcfeely: Right

Joe Russo: He has to do something insanely difficult that requires as insane display of power that very few people in the universe could pull off

What I take from this is that this scene was supposed to display Thor's god-like abilities. Joe Russo even compares this ring feat to the trials of Hercules and says that very few people in the universe could pull this off

Rocket: I don't think you get the scientifics here. You wanna get those things moving you're gonna need something a lot bigger to yank em loose

Thor: Leave that to me

Rocket: Leave it to you? Buddy, you're in space, all you got is a rope and ah....

Clearly Rocket is saying Thor needs to move the rings here

Summary:

I believe that all of this evidence together proves that Thor did in fact move these rings and that the engine was not working before he kick started it, so Thor was not assisted in any way by the engine

Star Feat:

First, I want to say that I did not take this feat as anything more than a Energy/Heat durability feat until I watched the scene with the commentary again

No Caption Provided

Etri: You understand, boy? You're about to take the Full Force of a Star. It'll kill you

Thor: Only if I die

Etri: Yes, that's what killing you means

Now, this had all been ignored for good reason. I personally did not think this was any more than some comment by Etri that couldn't be taken seriously due to the On-Screen evidence that seemed to the contrary. I could see an argument for the forge having contained the Force/Heat in to that beam of energy, but I wasn't totally sold. I was convinced further by this comment by Mcfeely:

Mcfeely: Right. And again, if it gets too technical and it somehow takes away from character, we've screwed up. He has to endure in order to make the thing

Director: Mhm

That comment right there changed my entire perception of this scene. It is clearly stated that if there is some kind of visual technicality that seems off (Like visually appearing to not have as much force), it's due to wanting to keep focus on the character

Summary:

Taking Etri's words plus the Director's leads me to believe that this was indeed meant to by A large amount of force from that star. I think this is also reinforced by Joe Russo talking about Thor having "god-like" abilities. I'm not going to make any calcs on this because it's kinda hard to calculate this

#2 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like this to be an open discussion. I'm more than happy to have constructive criticism of my reasonings

X

#4 Edited by MetalJimmor (6446 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how your director's quote confirms that Etri was talking about a beam of solid star matter rather than the heat necessary to melt the metals.

Maybe add the bit that McFeely was responding to? You posted the response to what looks like it was a question without the actual question, which removes context from the statement.

#5 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't see how your director's quote confirms that Etri was talking about a beam of solid star matter rather than the heat necessary to melt the metals.

Maybe add the bit that McFeely was responding to? You posted the response to what looks like it was a question with denies context to the answer itself.

It was just a response to Joe Russo talking about the work they did make the forge look realistic

X

#6 Posted by MetalJimmor (6446 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

I still don't get how that equates to the star actually being a beam of mass. He was probably talking about why they didn't show the inner workings of the forge or go into more scientific details concerning temperature and the like. They wanted it to be a more mythological moment and less of a sci fi moment.

#7 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

I still don't get how that equates to the star actually being a beam of mass. He was probably talking about why they didn't show the inner workings of the forge or go into more scientific details concerning temperature and the like. They wanted it to be a more mythological moment and less of a sci fi moment.

I'm not sure it's as much a beam of mass as force from the beam. Why would they be talking about the inner workings when they were talking about what Thor endured. Mcfeely's comments alone don't stack up for me either, but that on top of Etri's comments seem a lot more solid to me

X

#8 Edited by Emanresu_20 (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

Here we go.

E

#9 Posted by MetalJimmor (6446 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

You just said they were talking about making the forge look realistic. It seems reasonable to think they didn't want to make it too technical in terms of design and function. More fantasy and less sci fi, basically.

McFeely's comment had nothing to do with the beam or its composition, and the beam doesn't need to be one of "force" in order for him to endure. Thor was badly burned after his struggle and almost died. You can get that with heat alone pretty easily. Writers don't think in terms of Battle Forum shenanigans. Enduring the immense power of a star by exposing yourself to its heat is extremely impressive. Something only a god-like being could survive. Just because it isn't applicable to punching doesn't make the scene less spectacular.

#10 Posted by Emanresu_20 (2846 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly let’s hope the tie in comics elaborate more on this and how the Forge works.

#11 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

why did any of this need defending. i mean even if all thor did was break the ice, he had to move the rings to break the ice. there is no way of getting around the fact that thor moved the rings

Avatar image for deactivated-5c917f846ef0b
#12 Posted by deactivated-5c917f846ef0b (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

Its still an outlier...

#13 Posted by Amcu (16676 posts) - - Show Bio

You're right regarding the rings but I don't think you'll convince anyone.

Regarding the star I saw a statement from a VFX supervisor where he describes Nidavellir as a Dyson Sphere Link

Thor and Rocket have to get Nidavellir turning again so that they can open the Dyson sphere in the center of it to release the energy of the sun to light the forge that would melt the Uru needed to build the new hammer.

From what I can tell a Dyson sphere seems to collect the solar energy of the star(Like a huge solar panel). The attack still contained force but its hard for me to say how much exactly without knowledge on stars and energy.

#14 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

You just said they were talking about making the forge look realistic. It seems reasonable to think they didn't want to make it too technical in terms of design and function. More fantasy and less sci fi, basically.

McFeely's comment had nothing to do with the beam or its composition, and the beam doesn't need to be one of "force" in order for him to endure. Thor was badly burned after his struggle and almost died. You can get that with heat alone pretty easily. Writers don't think in terms of Battle Forum shenanigans. Enduring the immense power of a star by exposing yourself to its heat is extremely impressive. Something only a god-like being could survive. Just because it isn't applicable to punching doesn't make the scene less spectacular.

Which is exactly why those comments by Mcfeely fit

Joe Russo: It took us a long time to figure out how to design this Dyson sphere and the forge, and how it would work. There's a lot of conceptual art created to figure it out. Kept refining the rules in post as we were developing the VFX. Hopefully it's evident that, you know, this is a forge and it needs to be opened in order for it to work. And that when the door is closing and forcibly needs to be pried open again.

Mcfeely: Right. And if it gets too technical, we've screwed up. He has to endure in order to make the thing.

Joe Russo: And it almost cost him his life.

To me, the first part of Mcfeely's statement would make me agree with you, but the second bit seems to imply he's talking about the scene as a whole, especially since he's making these comments while Thor is taking the star's force/energy. He's not just talking about how the forge works, but about what Thor had to endure

X

#15 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

You're right regarding the rings but I don't think you'll convince anyone.

Regarding the star I saw a statement from a VFX supervisor where he describes Nidavellir as a Dyson Sphere Link

Thor and Rocket have to get Nidavellir turning again so that they can open the Dyson sphere in the center of it to release the energy of the sun to light the forge that would melt the Uru needed to build the new hammer.

From what I can tell a Dyson sphere seems to collect the solar energy of the star(Like a huge solar panel). The attack still contained force but its hard for me to say how much exactly without knowledge on stars and energy.

You're probably right, but I was interested in hearing your opinion on the star having force. As you probably know I didn't think the feat was legit for a while, but Mcfeely's comment seems to kinda hammer the point in, especially considering Etri's comment

X

#16 Posted by Amcu (16676 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: I've never felt that we should hold them to being 100% scientifically accurate so I agree with you about what he said.

#17 Posted by MetalJimmor (6446 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

I am still not getting where you connect what he's saying to the beam having force behind it. What he's saying, as you say, has nothing to do with how the forge works. Thor doesn't need to be getting hit by a beam of "force" to endure it. A beam of the concentrated energy and radiation of a star is still immensely impressive. It also just makes more sense in the context of igniting a forge.

#18 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:

@xzone: I've never felt that we should hold them to being 100% scientifically accurate so I agree with you about what he said.

I completely agree which is one of the reasons why I didn't calc it

X

Avatar image for ifdcruledtheworld
#19 Posted by IfDCRuledTheWorld (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

So....that means that Thor's clothing is even higher tier than he is. It also took the full force of the star and looked better than he did.

Awesome.

#20 Edited by deltahuman (4975 posts) - - Show Bio

Wooh Nice. Finally someone did it.

I'll get back to you on this soon and explain why none of these feats are legit and should be considered inconsistencies or outliers at best. I already posted counters to both on another thread but I can't remember which so I'll have to rewrite it from scratch. I'll do it again, no issues but, For now, I just have some simple questions that I'm sure you'll love to answer objectively

Do you or do you not consider the following feats of DCEU Superman as legitimate.

1) The 300 decibel sonic canon feat that's confirmed to be 300db in movie trivia

2) The Mother Box revival feat that makes him as strong as a planet which was again backed by both statements, the on-screen portrayal of the box's powers and him being actually revived by the box.

3) The Tectonic Plate feat which was again clearly meant to be legit since the director put the newspaper clipping in the movie (the only aspect we don't know is how he did it but we'll get back to it too)

Answer these three simple questions and we/I can provide an unbiased opinion on Thor's feats without even needing to debunk or scrutinize your points (I might need to scrutinize your points at a later stage of this discussion though)

Thank You

#21 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@deltahuman: As to “bias” I’d like to point you to the part where I said I didn’t take the feat as legit simply based off Etri’s statements. I only took the feat seriously when I heard Mcfeely’s statement

1) Was there a Director’s statement like the one I provided? It’s also a lot less believeable and there was not a forge that could contain and make it seem more realistic

2) I really don’t understand what you’re saying here

3) Come on now, you have to know I’ve provided more evidence than a newspaper clipping

X

#22 Posted by GateOfBabylon (4077 posts) - - Show Bio

Great job proving the ring feat.

No idea how anyone could doubt the star feat in the first place. It's literally explicitly stated in the film and by directors. Any lowballers who try to refute this feat by claiming that it's visually not scientifically accurate forget that this is a comic book movie. Logically Thor should be so dense he sinks through floors if he has that much strength within a human-sized body too. But then again, comic book movie.

#23 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by APEX_pretador (20340 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it is performed on screen with no outside context and no external amps.

#25 Edited by jashro44 (52492 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure where your getting that quote from the star feat but when I rewatched infinity war on Netflix I noticed Thor's quote specifically talks about the stars blazing power. Going by what is said directly on screen Thor is only talking about the heat and energy of the star:

No Caption Provided

And honestly there is no way you guys can seriously justify Thor tanking the gravitational force of a Neutron star. It would be so inconsistent it would be ridiculous.

EDIT: Also reading the comment Mccfeely basically just says he doesn't want to get to technical and the feat shouldn't be analyzed to much. He's not confirming Thor took the gravitational force.

#26 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Even in that quote tho, Thor is referencing the Power of the star, not just the heat or energy

As to the quotes, they were from the commentary as I said. Mcfeely seemed to be saying that the visuals shouldn’t be taken quite as seriously as Thor doing something, hence why he said: “he has to endure in order to get the thing”

X

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
#27 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22776 posts) - - Show Bio

Directors/writers/guidebooks don't know crap about the scale or science. If we confirm feats simply on what they say, then DCEU Superman is light speed, and even if Thor can resist the power of a star, he's still getting pieced up lmao

#28 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Which directors said Clark was light speed?

Where was it shown On-Screen? I’m not just taking a Director’s word; I’m basing my conclusions on

1) On-Screen evidence

2) Character’s statements

3) Director’s statements

That’s very different from a director just saying something

X

#29 Posted by jashro44 (52492 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: Thor is talking about the power of the blaze specifically. Otherwise he would have used the term power in a more general sense.

I mean you really can't quantify force based on just visual queues. I know there was force behind it but the same gravitational force of a neutron star? No way. He would be strong enough to move planets easily. My two issues with the feats:

1. I think when Thor mentions the power of a neutron star he is specifically talking about the power of the blaze.
  2. Its bullshit when you look at Thor's consistent feats throughout all films. Even in infinity war. I know Thor was weakened by Thanos when he was restrained by Ebony Maw but if he were that strong to resist the gravitational force of a neutron star he would have ripped the metal Ebony Maw used to restrain him like tissue paper. He does not get to use the excuse he is weakened if we are arguing him withstanding that level of gravitational force of a neutron star.

I don't think Mcfeely is saying anything I disagree with. He's not saying Thor took the gravitational force. He is saying its an epic moment and they didn't want to get to technical to take away from that character moment.

#30 Edited by buttersdaman000 (22776 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

@buttersdaman000: Which directors said Clark was light speed?

X

My bad, heat vision is light speed and combat speed is as fast as his travel speed which is around mach 900+. This was in the official BvS guidebook. Also, as Deltahuman said, the 300db of Batmans canons, which is equivalent to a volcanic eruption, yet hardly damaging the building around it. These guys don't know anything about the scale of the feats they write, and most of the time they conflict with the established power levels, as we see with Thor. You really think he went from getting KOed by glorified tasers in thor 3 to resisiting a star in IW???

#31 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44:

Which is exactly why I didn’t try to quantify the force; I said as much in my post, but he was obviously taking some form of force or he wouldn’t have been shot back towards Rocket and the other after he let go of the forge handles

1) Please don’t take this the wrong way....

You’re grammatically and factually incorrect. When someone says “blazing power” this is not “power” modifying “blazing”, but “blazing” modifying “power”. This means he’s simply using blazing as a modifier of power, as in to describe it. So, no, Thor is not talking about the power of the blaze at all, and that is a fact

2) Weakened and a feat for Maw? I really don’t see what’s wrong with this. Heck, Maw told Stark that his power didn’t even matter to him, that it was nothing compared to his, and Stark agreed with him. Maw said the same kind of thing to Strange. Maw is underrated

X

#32 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Actually, That guidebook doesn’t say his combat speed is equal to his travel speed. The guidebook says that Clark can fly fast enough to create sonic booms, and that he can react equally as fast, meaning he can react at the speed of sound

That’s besides the fact that you’re obviously using a flawed comparison

About the cannons from Batman, come on. If the evidence were truly equivalent, we would see Bruce Actually saying that they were that, a director saying that they didn’t want the scene to look too technical, and some kind of contraption that was containing the power

Obedience disks in the comics could restrain the likes of silver surfer IIRC, so idk why it’s so unbelievable...

X

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#33 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7369 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor was almost KOd by a 200 ton boulder... theres no way the mass thing can be taken seriously massive outlier the amount of force is so great Thor wouldnt be fazed by anything

Taking the heat of it makes much more sense and is consistent with Thor

#34 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22776 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

@buttersdaman000: Actually, That guidebook doesn’t say his combat speed is equal to his travel speed. The guidebook says that Clark can fly enough to create sonic booms, and that he can react equally as fast, meaning he can react at the speed of sound

That’s besides the fact that you’re obviously using a flawed comparison

About the cannons from Batman, come on. If the evidence were truly equivalent, we would see Bruce Actually saying that they were that, a director saying that they didn’t want the scene to look too technical, and some kind of contraption that was containing the power

Obedience disks in the comics could restrain the likes of silver surfer IIRC, so idk why it’s so unbelievable...

X

It explicitly says faster than the speed of sound. Mach 900+, which is what he flies in the movies, is faster than the speed of sound.

What are you replying to? The decibels? How is that a flawed comparison? The commentary specifies that the sound canons were 300 db.

Lmao wat........

These aren't the comics sooooooooooo

#35 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Honestly, why don’t you first prove he was actually flying at Mach 900

Second, the guidebook says he can fly fast enough to create sonic booms and can react as fast. Again, that’s not saying he can react at Mach 900, it’s saying he can react to Mach speeds

It wasn’t said on-screen, it wasn’t shown on screen. This is the kinda thing that has 0 validity like directors saying the leviathans in Avengers one were hundreds of thousands of tons. There is no backing at all for it

Sure, it’s not the comics, but why is it so unbelievable? Why is it believable in the comics but not in the movies?

X

#36 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22776 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

@buttersdaman000: Honestly, why don’t you first prove he was actually flying at Mach 900

Second, the guidebook says he can fly fast enough to create sonic booms and can react as fast. Again, that’s not saying he can react at Mach 900, it’s saying he can react to Mach speeds

It wasn’t said on-screen, it wasn’t shown on screen. This is the kinda thing that has 0 validity like directors saying the leviathans in Avengers one were hundreds of thousands of tons. There is no backing at all for it

Sure, it’s not the comics, but why is it so unbelievable? Why is it believable in the comics but not in the movies?

X

I don't got time for that. But that's the consistent average given he's able to get to space in seconds, and travel the world in minutes.

mach 900 is a mach speeds....you literally just said "mach"....lol

What...the sound canons weren't onscreen??? What movie were you watching??? Or are you talking about the 300db not affecting the surrounding area like it should? Kind of how the force and heat of a star didn't affect Thor like it should.....hmmmmm

Because the comics aren't the movies. You just wanna make things up, and twist feats, to make Thor stronger. It's transparent as hell dude lol

#37 Posted by Emperorb777 (11137 posts) - - Show Bio

Lmao, dude do you jerk off to MCU Thor? Been wondering this for awhile now.

#38 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000: Cut scenes

It didn’t say Mach 900, come on now

Wouldn’t that be a feat for Thor though? That’s besides the point that there wasn’t anything funneling that power in to a single point like there was in Thor’s feat, and someone directly saying what was happening On-Screen, and a director talking about the affect not being as large as you would expect due to not wanting to distract from the character

No... I’m following the logic where it leads here. “The comics aren’t the movies” how does that make any sense here

Obedience disks in the comics do something: You think it’s legit

Obedience disks do something in the movies: You think it isn’t legit

I ask you for a reason for that, and you say I’m twisting things, Alright...

X

#39 Posted by buttersdaman000 (22776 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

@buttersdaman000: Cut scenes

It didn’t say Mach 900, come on now

Wouldn’t that be a feat for Thor though? That’s besides the point that there wasn’t anything funneling that power in to a single point like there was in Thor’s feat, and someone directly saying what was happening On-Screen, and a director talking about the affect not being as large as you would expect due to not wanting to distract from the character

No... I’m following the logic where it leads here. “The comics aren’t the movies” how does that make any sense here

Obedience disks in the comics do something: You think it’s legit

Obedience disks do something in the movies: You think it isn’t legit

I ask you for a reason for that, and you say I’m twisting things, Alright...

X

What??

Um so? It said faster than the speed of sound though. You just tried to misrepresent it as strictly the speed of sound. Last time I checked mach 900 is faster than the speed of sound.

No, it wouldn't. It's so far above his consistent showings any rational person would consider it an outlier. The heat flowing in around Thor, from an actual star, would heat the surrounding area, turning the likes of Rocket and Groot into puddles or gas particles. And the director, as people have said in this thread before, solely meant he didn't want to take away from Thors moment. You're the only one attributing battle forum feats to that.

I honestly don't see how you correlated those two points. Counter example,

• Thor in the comics walks on a star, with years of evidence to back it up, I think it's legit.
  • Thor in the movies takes a "star" with no evidence whatsoever to back up, I don't think it's legit.

Seems pretty logical to me....

#40 Posted by jashro44 (52492 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

Which is exactly why I didn’t try to quantify the force; I said as much in my post, but he was obviously taking some form of force or he wouldn’t have been shot back towards Rocket and the other after he let go of the forge handles

Obviously not the gravitational force of a neutron star.

1) Please don’t take this the wrong was...

You’re grammatically and factually incorrect. When someone says “blazing power” this is not “power” modifying “blazing”, but “blazing” modifying “power”. This means he’s simply using blazing as a modifier of power, as in to describe it. So, no, Thor is not talking about the power of the blaze at all, and that is a fact

What I am saying is he is saying the forge has the burning power of a neutron star. He is talking about the type of power the forge harness ("blazing power"). Which aligns with AMCU's quote from the VFX supervisor. You can't harness gravity. Gravity is not matter, its not tangible.

Thor is talking about the type of power the forge harnesses. Think of it like this: when I talk about someone's muscle power I am describing the power there muscles generate. Or when I am describing harnessing power from the sun its called solar power. I view Thor's statement the same way. When he says blazing power I view it as him talking about the forge harnessing heat and saying the power of the blaze is like a neutron star.

2) Weakened and a feat for Maw? I really don’t see what’s wrong with this. Heck, Maw told Stark that his power didn’t even matter to him, that it was nothing compared to his, and Stark agreed with him. Maw said the same kind of thing to Strange. Maw is underrated

All Maw did was wrap him in metal. Maw's telekenesis doesn't make the metal anymore dense. He wasn't making a conscious effort to keep the metal around Thor wrapped around him. Doesn't matter if Thor is weakened. And besides he went on to do the star forge feat in than 24 hours after his ship was blown up. So I highly doubt Thor was that weakened.

Maw being more powerful than Iron Man and Strange is irrelevant if we are arguing Thor can withstand the gravitational force of a neutron star. The gravitational force of a neutron star is enough to crush planets. Its not far off from a black hole. I just don't see how you can justify Thor withstanding that kind of force.

#41 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Either it’s not, or it’s an outlier, and again, I’m not trying to quantify this, but the feat is legit at least to some extent

That’s not how it looks On-screen

No Caption Provided

Atm, I don’t have the extended gif where it shows the force as much, but look closely when the camera is focused on Thor’s back. You can clearly see that there is some kind of push against Thor, and while I again, won’t attempt to quantify it, it is there. Another reason why I think Mcfeely’s statement applies here is because there is some sort of push/force here

As to the “blazing power”, Thor didn’t seem to be using the modifier that way, IMO

Maw Actually was trying to keep him contained. We know this because Thor breaks out as soon as Maw is gone, unless Thor simply didn’t break out for some other reason. It’s also worth noting I don’t think Thor could even walk over to Loki and was forced to crawl to him

Like I said in my post and multiple times in my Comments with you, I am not going to try and quantify it, and the Star was nearly dead, but there was some sort of force that hit Thor and that’s obvious

X

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
#42 Edited by DarkPsychicLord_Prime (4086 posts) - - Show Bio

Y'all can call it an outlier or whatever, the fact is that is better represented than any other high end feat in a CBM, and calling it an outlier would be erroneus as he hasn't failed to replicate something similar again yet.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
#43 Edited by ThEBeStOfTheBeST (11268 posts) - - Show Bio

#44 Edited by ourmanuel (11428 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorb777 said:

Lmao, dude do you jerk off to MCU Thor? Been wondering this for awhile now.

Actually it’s more like he jerks off MCU Thor

#45 Posted by jashro44 (52492 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

That’s not how it looks On-screen

You cannot quantify gravitational force by looking at something.

Atm, I don’t have the extended gif where it shows the force as much, but look closely when the camera is focused on Thor’s back. You can clearly see that there is some kind of push against Thor, and while I again, won’t attempt to quantify it, it is there. Another reason why I think Mcfeely’s statement applies here is because there is some sort of push/force here

Just because there is some force or push doesn't mean its the same gravitational force of a neutron star. The power of the neutron star comes from the mass of the star being pushed together so tightly that the electorns and protons are being crushed together into neutrons. That can't be happening in the star forge scene because:

1. The energy of the star is shooting outwards. Its not being crushed together like a nuetron star
  2. There isn't enough mass.

The forge was never said to have that kind of power. Just the blazing power of a neutron star which makes much more sense. Because its channeling the energy at Thor which is what Thor is taking. But that isn't the same thing as standing inside of a neutron star because there are so many factors.

There is some kind of push but it can't be quantified. So its not really notable.

As to the “blazing power”, Thor didn’t seem to be using the modifier that way, IMO

That is how I interpreted and going by the quote @amcu posted it makes most sense to interpret it that way (and again because its just more reasonable). Even the quote you posted from Joe Russo also refers to it as a dyson sphere.

Maw Actually was trying to keep him contained. We know this because Thor breaks out as soon as Maw is gone, unless Thor simply didn’t break out for some other reason. It’s also worth noting I don’t think Thor could even walk over to Loki and was forced to crawl to him

The metal actually just fell off of Thor when Maw left. Regardless this would be like if I had telekentic powers and tried to restrain you with tissue paper. You would still rip it apart.

Like I said in my post and multiple times in my Comments with you, I am not going to try and quantify it, and the Star was nearly dead, but there was some sort of force that hit Thor and that’s obvious

Are you not trying to argue that Thor essentially stood inside of a neutron star? If your saying Thor took some unqunatafiable level of force I agree. I just don't think its significant to point that out because we can't measure it. There isn't really a way to imagine/say how difficult it would be.

#46 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44 said:

@xzone:

Are you not trying to argue that Thor essentially stood inside of a neutron star? If your saying Thor took some unqunatafiable level of force I agree. I just don't think its significant to point that out because we can't measure it. There isn't really a way to imagine/say how difficult it would be.

That's pretty close. What I'm saying is that the feat is in-fact legit, as in Thor did take the force of this star. The part that is hard to quantify is how much force Thor was actually hit with. Personally, I'm unsure If I believe this is the same as a dying neutron star, if it's more of an artificial star, or if it has the power of a normal neutron star, but what I was stating in this post was that Thor did in-fact take the force of this particular star

Let's say Thor survives a planet exploding in End Game. I'll be more inclined to believe this could have been a real star. If Thor gets bloodied by a city or lower level explosion or attack, we know this feat is not legit past an artificial star that would be pretty weak. That's how I see this

X

#47 Posted by Kevd4wg (12750 posts) - - Show Bio

The ring feat I can buy, the Star I still think is just heat and maybe some energy. If it's anything else, it's a massive outlier.

#48 Edited by Tyger (461 posts) - - Show Bio

"You're going to need something alot bigger to yank em loose"

And by that he meant yank the rings free of ice so that it moves on it's on.

#49 Posted by BruceRogers (17320 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, its still an outlier.

#50 Posted by WhyZoSerious (1722 posts) - - Show Bio

DCEU fanboy's logic about Thor- it is not legit because it's just a movie and movies ain't real.

DCEU fanboy's logic about superman - it's legit because it was in the movie and stated by the directors.