#1 Posted by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio

Their movies suck.... On second thought, their animated films rock, I wish Marvel put out animated films that were even close to equal in quality (not sure what the trouble is, all you do is find a good team to convert a great storyline from the comics into an animated film, it's not exactly microbiology) but back to the point, DC's films are an absolute embarrassment to all things pop culture. Its just flat out depressing how behind on the times they are. That Green Lantern film was such an obscene atrocity, I actually asked myself might they be doing it on purpose. It was SO bad, that there's just no way they could've been trying to make it anything but bad and even if the stars did align and they really did just happen to make a god awful film unintentionally, they then released it with the expectations of it being taken seriously

#2 Posted by TheExile285 (4353 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the current animated films are any goof but since I'm enjoying their comics so much right now, I feel somewhat apathetic towards everything else they are doing atm.

To answer the question, I think its because WB is trying to rush these movies rather than taking the time to make them something enjoyable and something than fans and casuals can both enjoy.

#3 Posted by longbowhunter (9425 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm enjoying their comics so much right now, I feel somewhat apathetic towards everything else they are doing atm.

This echoes my sentiments. I'm a comic book reader first and foremost.

#4 Posted by Jgames (8084 posts) - - Show Bio

More power to you opinion.

#5 Posted by Slayz (2236 posts) - - Show Bio

*Ahem*

Dark Knight Trilogy.

#6 Posted by Aros001 (3608 posts) - - Show Bio

At first I thought you were just going to be talking about the DCEU movies but since you brought up Green Lantern, I guess the other DC movies are on the table too, so...

The Richard Donner Superman and the Tim Burton Batman movies are incredibly highly rated and seen as classics and basically defined what a good superhero movie was for their times.

The Christopher Nolan Batman movies are still greatly respected to this day, with The Dark Knight being regarded as one of if not the greatest comic book movies of all time.

Man of Steel had audiences split, with many people liking the movie and many people hating it.

Batman v Superman's extended cut, which is the version we were meant to get before the studio interfered and chopped it up, is a pretty good film and while it's not perfect by any means, it was trying to do its own thing while trying to catch up to the success of the Marvel movies.

But yes, people do go on about how terrible the DC films are and that nothing noteworthy or good has been produced by them.

#7 Posted by from_beyond (863 posts) - - Show Bio

DC movies can be just as good as Marvel. Nolan proved that. They need better directors though.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#8 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#9 Posted by jb681131 (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostrider88: What ?!

DCEU has 3 movies 2 ok 1 bad. DCEU has failed its new 52 animated movies.

Marvel has failed Thor, Iron man, Avengers, Fantastic 4, Hulk, ... (let's ignor Spiderman and X-men which are from other studios)

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#10 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: Yeah, the MCU has absolutely disgraced Thor to the utmost degree.

#11 Posted by MICKEY-MOUSE (36609 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#12 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

While an embarrassment to pop culture is extreme, the main reason behind WB's struggles with the DCEU stem from lack of planning, reactionary film-making and hubris.

#13 Posted by judasnixon (12663 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why..... I really don't know.

#14 Edited by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: I meant no disrespect mate but just stating my opinions and I fully stand behind them but only regarding what they've done up to this point. If we're looking towards the future, I do think things will come around for them, i think Suicide Squad is going to be awesome and I HOPE Justice League is too but why has it taken them so long to get it going?

Also, Marvels been averaging 3 films a year while DC's put out 3 films in the last 4 years.

#15 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think the current animated films are any goof but since I'm enjoying their comics so much right now, I feel somewhat apathetic towards everything else they are doing atm.

To answer the question, I think its because WB is trying to rush these movies rather than taking the time to make them something enjoyable and something than fans and casuals can both enjoy.

This times 10 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

#16 Posted by jb681131 (3064 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostrider88: Marvel studio only puts out one a year. The other studios have movie rights for Spider-man and X-men and Deadpool.

DC/WB did put out lots of Animated movies.

DC had a different strategy than Marvel. Who could have guessed that flooding the market with poor Superhero movies would work ?

#17 Posted by Conner_Wolf (6378 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostrider88: In all honesty, DC's films rating so terribly is making Marvel look bad, they're causing the general public to see comic movies as a whole, badly. This hurts everyone, not just DC.

#18 Posted by Deathstroke52 (7006 posts) - - Show Bio

They aren't?

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
#19 Posted by TheAmazingSpidey (17508 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel is abysmal, but I can concede why someone behind the camera could consider it the second coming of Batman Begins.

Batman v. Superman, although disappointment, I loved it.

Suicide Squad made me feel dopey. Like, did anyone actually check that film as as "good." Or even decent? ffs.

#20 Posted by Heatforce (5912 posts) - - Show Bio

Their movies suck.... On second thought, their animated films rock, I wish Marvel put out animated films that were even close to equal in quality (not sure what the trouble is, all you do is find a good team to convert a great storyline from the comics into an animated film, it's not exactly microbiology) but back to the point, DC's films are an absolute embarrassment to all things pop culture. Its just flat out depressing how behind on the times they are. That Green Lantern film was such an obscene atrocity, I actually asked myself might they be doing it on purpose. It was SO bad, that there's just no way they could've been trying to make it anything but bad and even if the stars did align and they really did just happen to make a god awful film unintentionally, they then released it with the expectations of it being taken seriously

There were good parts IMO like Oa. Either way the Green Lantern film is not relevant, it's not part of the DCEU.

#21 Posted by Mike_Fowler (4966 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: uh, marvel studios put out 2 a year (with next year turning into 3 per year)

#22 Edited by Farkam (12019 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Flop is more of an embarrassment than all the DCEU movies combined.

#23 Edited by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@jb681131: yes I know.. I'm including all Marvel films based on Marvel comics, not just Marvel Studios films. You're taking the point of my thread to another direction entirely. And I get what you mean, that deserves another separate discussion but here I'm referring to all Marvel & DC related live action films

Avatar image for green_ballerina
#24 Posted by Green_Ballerina (523 posts) - - Show Bio

The extreme fanboys that sit there and continue to eat that trash up are more embarrassing than the bad movies IMO.

#25 Posted by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: I agree Fantastic Four was a terrible film. Big deal. 1 recently terrible film versus all the recent great ones. And when there's about 3 Marvel films being released each year, the chances are one will eventually be bad. This isn't even arguable so why deny it? You're too biased to even use common sense.

#26 Edited by LonePunchMan (10 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's first mistake was thinking all the things that made the Dark Knight trilogy great would work for Man of Steel's Superman who is a vastly different character. Their second mistake was trying to do too much too soon in Batman V Superman, trying to play catch up with Marvel's last 11 films, sprinkling in elements non-comic book readers are not familiar with. Their third mistake was trying to make Suicide Squad too Avengers-like when it was the perfect film to make Dark Knight-like.

#27 Posted by Stormdriven (17720 posts) - - Show Bio

DC Cinema gave us TDK trilogy, three of the most critically acclaimed superhero movies ever created. Hell, people still consider The Dark Knight to be the greatest superhero film ever. So it's not an embarrassment. Only the DCEU is subpar.

#28 Posted by Farkam (12019 posts) - - Show Bio

@farkam: I agree Fantastic Four was a terrible film. Big deal. 1 recently terrible film versus all the recent great ones. And when there's about 3 Marvel films being released each year, the chances are one will eventually be bad. This isn't even arguable so why deny it? You're too biased to even use common sense.

What does all this got to do with what I said?

#29 Posted by TheKinfing (11699 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by HighAccuser (9696 posts) - - Show Bio

Blame everything but Nolan related.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green
#31 Posted by Avatar_of_Green (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Suicide Squad. Go figure.

#32 Posted by LlehDevil (7259 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by comicace3 (12429 posts) - - Show Bio

SS was actually pretty good compared to Batman v Superman. And saying it is a disappointment to pop-culture is a bit extreme. But to echo what someone already said

Since there are too many "DCEU sucks" threads

Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#34 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (907 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz said:

*Ahem*

Dark Knight Trilogy.

TDK was good. The other two? Just okay. WB and DC have been in freefall ever since.

#35 Posted by HDoom16 (193 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayz: maybe noon should direct all their films. I really don't care that much though, I really only like batman and green lantern in dc

#36 Edited by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio

@stormdriven: lmao that is ALL you people say! "The Dark Knight!" "The Dark Knight!". We get it already, that was a decent series of films, thank heavens because we all love batman. Now show us something else for Christ sake. Oh.. Can't do that, can ya?

#37 Posted by OldBoy93 (1073 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostrider88: We can't show you something else because Snyder destroyed the DCEU. WB should have kicked his butt out of this project after MoS and BvS. Instead they confirmed Snyder for the JL movie. Let's be honest, there's no hope for DC right now.

#38 Posted by Stormdriven (17720 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by Squalleon (9994 posts) - - Show Bio

@theexile285 said:

I'm enjoying their comics so much right now, I feel somewhat apathetic towards everything else they are doing atm.

This echoes my sentiments. I'm a comic book reader first and foremost.

Avatar image for name_already_chosen
#40 Edited by name_already_chosen (238 posts) - - Show Bio

> Why is DC Cinema such an embaressment to pop culture?

My personal opinion is that DC tries too desperately to appeal to the lowest (and therefore most profitable) common denominator with their live action films, whereas their animated features are aimed at comic book geeks as well as teens, young adults, and the young-at-heart-adults.

It makes sense from a purely economic perspective. Because live action films cost so much more than do animated features, DC must appeal to a far broader range of viewers. The most famous DC superhero is Superman, but from a cost perspective, he is incredibly difficult to do well in a live action film; the second member of DC's superhero trinity, Wonder Woman, is nearly as difficult to handle unless one nerfs her down to a snarling version of Jaime Summers the Bionic Woman -- or hides the SPFX problems under a camouflage of camp, as they did with the Lynda Carter television series, or under a camouflage of the most desperately hackneyed and disingenuously mean-spirited "bad ass" vibe, as they attempted with the abominable recent Wonder Woman TV series that lasted just one episode. Small wonder then that The Batman has been the most successful of the DC live action franchises both on television and in the films.

Thus, in a humiliatingly naked bid for pop culture street cred and for all the money that comes from shameless catering, we end up in our 21st century live-action movies with a petty, spiteful Superman who calmly threatens torture and allows the deaths of thousands, a Wonder Woman with a serious case of testosterone poisoning, a Green Lantern who is less a hero than a caricature of a clueless adolescent boy in a man's body, and a Batman who mistakes heavy breathing for a tough pose.

In contrast, Marvel superheroes are relatively easy to depict -- and they handle nerfing quite well. Sure, The Hulk in the live action TV series was so much less powerful than the comic book Hulk, but they managed to make it work (and having The Hulk spend most of his time as Bruce Banner -- pardon me, David Bruce Banner -- cut costs as well). Similarly, the mechanical nature of the Iron Man suit makes it far easier to get away with a CGI Iron Man than it is to get away with a CGI Big Blue Boy Scout.

If you pay attention to the narrative patterns and subject matter, you will notice that Marvel aims its live-action films at the teen and young adult and young-at-heart adult market (as well as tossing in a few easter eggs for the comic book geeks), the same market at which DC has aimed many of its animated series and films, such as Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths.

Why are Marvel animated series so terrible in comparison? Because Marvel never aimed them at people like us; Marvel aims those squarely at the kiddies, something DC seldom does any more (with the exception of a few series as Teen Titans Go!). Don't compare them to Batman:TAS or Justice League Unlimited; compare them to Pokemon.

On the positive side, things are looking up a little with recent DC television series such as The Flash.

#41 Posted by GhostRider88 (603 posts) - - Show Bio
@oldboy93 said:

@ghostrider88: We can't show you something else because Snyder destroyed the DCEU. WB should have kicked his butt out of this project after MoS and BvS. Instead they confirmed Snyder for the JL movie. Let's be honest, there's no hope for DC right now.

Couldnt agree with you more, especially your last sentence. So I went to see Suicide Squad and what do you know? A disappointment from what it should and could have been. It wasn't terrible but wasnt at all anything special either. It has gotten to the point now where i'm starting to feel sorry for DC.

#42 Edited by AkshSarpanch (3569 posts) - - Show Bio

DC movies>>>>Trash >>>>>>> Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor 2, Hulk, Ghost Rider,AoU

#43 Posted by BruceRogers (17183 posts) - - Show Bio

DC movies>>>>Trash >>>>>>> Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Thor, Thor 2, Hulk, Ghost Rider,AoU

Uh-huh. Remind me what Marvel movies have to do with this again?.