Why is Carol Danvers so popular?

• 56 results
Raven_godKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It feels like lately Carol has become popular despite no one actually liking her. Not to long ago I read a CBR about how she could match MUI Goku and beat Vegeta. And why does she keep getting power ups? Is she really a well liked character, please explain this to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-651f5d490873c
deactivated-651f5d490873c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_godking: who tf-

CBR is the definition of 🧢.

They even said that Izuku Midoriya could defeat Groudon.

OT : idk actually, the thing that came in my mind is because that there is alot of guys simping for her lol, even though they didn't like her character in Endgame.

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was basically the original ms marvel but marvel then changed her to Captain marvel who was completely unlikable,and BTW CBR is bullshit,they made an article about Deadpool vs Vegeta.

omega_king13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was basically the original ms marvel but marvel then changed her to Captain marvel who was completely unlikable,and BTW CBR is bullshit,they made an article about Deadpool vs Vegeta.

I remember she was liked as Ms. Marvel but not as Captain. As for CBR the only article I agree with is Dr. Manhattan vs Goku other than that it is a crap site

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she was in a good movie. And she is not a bad character.

Baalhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really? Besides this site i don't see many people who care for her

Avatar image for deactivated-6349385499256
deactivated-6349385499256

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CBR's power scaling is just bad as casuals in YT, the site is trash.

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KillianDuclark

@byondeon: okay i can sort of understand thinking Carol was in a good movie. But to think she is a good character is just absurd

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@byondeon: okay i can sort of understand of thinking Carol was in a hood movie. But to think she is a good character is just absurd

Considering that she was a good character, I find it weird that you think she wasn't one. Was she the best character in the MCU? Far from it but certainly was a good character.

cypis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CBR's powerscaling is not reliable, they're the same people that said Levi Ackerman would kill Luffy just because he uses swords

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one likes her, some people think marvel needs a version of Wonder Woman, maybe they do, and Carol is it. She can not fail as an ip or be less powerful than a man or else it's "sexist." It's pure politics.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

CBR thinks Wolverine could beat Doomsday, so...

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she was pretty cool for a while

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I think people liked her more back when she was still Ms. Marvel. But then Marvel started pushing her rather aggressively and her portrayal in events like Civil War 2 didn't help either.

OG_Guts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Ppl like Carol because those who take the time to get to know her see she's awesome. She doesn't seem well liked because the significant amount of ppl who don't like her are more vocal.

@raven_godking said:

And why does she keep getting power ups?

She doesn't? And CBR is clickbait not worth taking seriously.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@og_guts said:

Ppl like Carol because those who take the time to get to know her see she's awesome. She doesn't seem well liked because the significant amount of ppl who don't like her are more vocal.

@raven_godking said:

And why does she keep getting power ups?

She doesn't? And CBR is clickbait not worth taking seriously.

How is she awesome? I'm curious.

Avatar image for deactivated-6055330d93f26
deactivated-6055330d93f26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she's that bitch

Avatar image for poedameronsbutt
Poedameronsbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn’t cbr say that All might could tangle with Goku lmao.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ironically, she never really was, until the anti-SJWs brought her to the forefront of cultural discourse. She was a D-lister as Ms. Marvel, and gained prominence after the revamp thanks largely to criticism. Currently her popularity stems mostly from Endgame, where she was pretty cool.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol's just annoying and uninteresting, I don't see the appeal to any of her iterations.

She was much better as Ms. Marvel.

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TobeyMaguire84

@divyansh13 said:

Other than stupid Civil war 2 event, her character is same. Simply she is called as Captain Marvel and does not wear a Thong. How can she become unlikable if she is the same character

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobeymaguire84: dude,you haven't seen much then.

Tell me exactly what is wrong instead of deflecting and saying Civil war 2

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#26 god_spawn  Moderator

CBR has some of the most unintelligent articles, lists, and forums I’ve ever seen. Not all forums are too bad, but really depends on the character. With that said, no, she’s really not that popular. I think she’s more popular than she was, but that’s due to the movie, which itself was one of the weakest, if not THE weakest and most bland Marvel film that did nothing but establish she’s strong, but at the cost of butchering certain things like shoehorning her as the name of the Avengers and Nick Fury’s eye.

So since Marvel didn’t have their own female character of Wonder Woman popularity, they shoved Carol into that role. They creeped up her power without much explanation until relatively recently when they did something with her binary form. But in doing so with the intention of making a “headstrong, independent” woman, like when Tony was the one that ended up apologizing to her with her kind of being passive aggressive about it, despite her being the one that killed him or sent him into a coma, whatever. Carol’s always been a headstrong character that’s original concept was overcoming gender stereotypes. With her becoming an Airforce Pilot, a spy, etc. But she had flaws and had her demons, she had battles with alcoholism like with Rogue and the death of Mar-Vell. So she felt guilt and remorse, and had to dig her way out of holes and had genuine interactions with characters like Tony, which makes the whole fact he apologized when she was throwing people in jail because of “future inhuman” when said person didn’t do anything yet, but she had to be right, and then she pretty much killed him. Marvel writers right now seem to confuse a strong and capable female lead character as a holier than thou, do no wrong, and always right character with a straight up bitch of an attitude with a solid character with demons and issues that managed to fight societal norms on her own merit and skill, proving that she belonged there.

Carol sucks right now.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 god_spawn  Moderator
Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: also Did Avengers apologize to her for them giving her to her rapist?

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Carol’s progression from her inception to about 2015 was actually very solid and natural growth. She wasn’t very popular but she was well liked in the position she was in, and when the time came for her to become Captain Marvel everyone thought it was great.

It’s just, since 2015, starting mostly with CW2 and the onset of her MCU introduction they’ve turned Carol into this holier than thou, unstoppable and “perfect” heroine with no real rhyme or reason. As Godspawn mentioned, the fact that she was ABSOLUTELY wrong about CW2 and didn’t apologize to Tony or Banner, that Jen, the cousin of the cousin she got killed encouraged her to continue, that they made Tony apologize for what SHE began, that STEVE told her she was wrong, and now she can hang with High/Herald tiers like Hulk/Thor/Ghost Rider because? Well...because? Her character growth has been stunted because she’s been forced into this Wonder Woman lite, stronk wahmen role that goes against her prior growth as a character and forces you to like her instead of making you genuinely care for her.

Notice how the increase in the GotG, Dr Strange and T’Challa’s popularity/presence hasn’t had anywhere near the same amount of pushback. There’s probably a reason for it, and it has to do with execution.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for geraldofvengerberg
Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 god_spawn  Moderator
cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, she is likely popular because of the movies and the pop culture that surrounds them.

As for the comics.....based on sales and generated interest she should change her name to "Captain Canceled". Oof.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, she is likely popular because of the movies and the pop culture that surrounds them.

As for the comics.....based on sales and generated interest she should change her name to "Captain Canceled". Oof.

Her comic sales is better than Dr Strange. Antman nearer to Wonder Woman

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah, that's impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 god_spawn  Moderator

@geraldofvengerberg: Because they’re recent enough to be relevant to a discussion? Her character hasn’t changed since then. And some of the stuff I and Superhulk mentioned are issues from the main two books she’s in.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg: Because they’re recent enough to be relevant to a discussion? Her character hasn’t changed since then. And some of the stuff I and Superhulk mentioned are issues from the main two books she’s in.

Her character is nothing like in Civil war 2 just like Wonder Woman in Injustice is not Wonder Woman actual character Why do you guys act like this about Captain Marvel? Bendis screwed her and you guys continue to pretend Bendis is writing Captain Marvel comics

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg said:

Woah, that's impressive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have no idea why Marvel has not cancelled Dr Strange

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 god_spawn  Moderator

@geraldofvengerberg: Bendis is irrelevant. Two other issues brought up were a power creep for no reason, evident by she was a mid-tier most of her career to being absolutely useless against a weaker version of the Hulk 6 years ago to now being able to fight characters like Thor, Jen,overpowering Tony on two occasions now, Bendis included, and being immune to cosmic ghost rider because “ive been through pain” all because the plot needs it to happen, not that it makes sense for the character. And her attitude is still shitty and has been since Bendis, now being written Aaron. Thompson’s book has just built around mainly plot devices and shock value, doesn’t make it good.

If you enjoy this Captain Marvel, that’s fine. If you think Thompson’s book and Aaron’s Avengers are good, fine. I think the depiction they have gone with over the last 6-8years, movie included, has been a step back. Yes, it brought her to a more prominent role. Yes, she got upgraded powerwise. But both of those came at the cost of her actual personality and what made her at least likable. And ironic you think I’m focusing just on Bendis, he wasn’t even who I was really focusing on when I’d say his Carol before CW2, so more mid-2000’s, she was in what I found to better stories than anything Thompson and Aaron has done with her.

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geraldofvengerberg: Bendis is irrelevant. Two other issues brought up were a power creep for no reason, evident by she was a mid-tier most of her career to being absolutely useless against a weaker version of the Hulk 6 years ago to now being able to fight characters like Thor, Jen,overpowering Tony on two occasions now, Bendis included, and being immune to cosmic ghost rider because “ive been through pain” all because the plot needs it to happen, not that it makes sense for the character. And her attitude is still shitty and has been since Bendis, now being written Aaron. Thompson’s book has just built around mainly plot devices and shock value, doesn’t make it good.

If you enjoy this Captain Marvel, that’s fine. If you think Thompson’s book and Aaron’s Avengers are good, fine. I think the depiction they have gone with over the last 6-8years, movie included, has been a step back. Yes, it brought her to a more prominent role. Yes, she got upgraded powerwise. But both of those came at the cost of her actual personality and what made her at least likable. And ironic you think I’m focusing just on Bendis, he wasn’t even who I was really focusing on when I’d say his Carol before CW2, so more mid-2000’s, she was in what I found to better stories than anything Thompson and Aaron has done with her.

Thats the thing I don't understand. What better stories?

How was her getting raped and Avengers helping her rapist a better story?

Her and Rogue story had potential but it was unceremoniously ended with her getting killed by Magneto

She was not in the funeral of Marvell for no reason

How is her attitude shitty? She has been taking care of her friends, trying to be a better hero and a person. Only example you continue give is civil war

Her power upgrade is only a problem if her villains cant match her which is not the case and it helps sell the comics. Comic readers want their heroes to become more powerful and have powerful feats. You don't even want her to beat Tony. Why would people read her if she cant beat Ironman. She absorbed a nuke in 2006

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

@geraldofvengerberg: I think you should read my posts more carefully. I’m not talking about Avengers 197-200. You’re putting words in my mouth again. You keep saying Bendis is my only example when I gave you two runs she is currently in with examples of why they have their problems in terms of powerset and character. I gave Carol a lot of praise before she became Captain Marvel and what made her likable to begin with.

You’re trying to argue with me over things that were never mentioned. You’re ignoring examples I’ve given in my initial post. Because something happened 5 years ago discredits something apparently, even though it’s still relevant and they’ve continued off of that personality in another title she is in, which I said. Who would want to read her if she can’t beat Iron Man? What does that have to do with anything? Wolverine and Spider-Man shouldn’t beat Tony but they’re well above and beyond both Carol and Tony in popularity. Just because one character can’t beat another has zero relevancy on their popularity. You’re pulling things out of thin air.

Finner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She slepped with her son

Geraldofvengerberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: You did not give any example of character other than Civil war? Wolverine or spiderman power make sense considering their story and villains and so does Carol plus she is a hero protecting planets plus her power is proportional to her absorption.

Why not talk about avengers 200 if you keep on bringing Civil war 2

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 god_spawn  Moderator

@geraldofvengerberg: I gave examples from Thompson’s run and Aaron’s run in terms of fights, and power creeps and her personality still being shitty and WHY both runs have their problems. Those are as recent as it gets and at least Aaron’s run had her personality and interactions with Tony still following her attitude from CW 2.

Don’t back track. You straight up said no one would read her if she can’t beat Tony, as If Stark is some pushover. So I gave you two characters both more popular than both of them that can’t beat Tony.

What does Avengers 200 have anything to do with anything?

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tobey is that you? lol

@god_spawn said:

Her character is nothing like in Civil war 2 just like Wonder Woman in Injustice is not Wonder Woman actual character Why do you guys act like this about Captain Marvel? Bendis screwed her and you guys continue to pretend Bendis is writing Captain Marvel comics

Because it became relevant over the next comics of Avengers where Tony apologize to Carol for CW II. Her taking moniker of "Captain Marvel" is failure from the start. It got relaunched like more than half a dozen of times because her IP is fueled with SJWs and Russo force unlike other female characters like Jean Grey or Scarlet Witch who despite not having their own solo comics, were written good.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

Shes not that popular tbh

She was in decent character back in the day but not so much anymore.