Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

Why is Batman the only DC movie liked latley

• 108 results
    Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Rell127

It's odd to me that this is the only movie DC has done right lately. I mean their last ones have been bad if it's not batman.

Im not really a Fan of Nolan's Batman. Im just shocked why batman is the only character people like from DC when it comes to films lately?

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Daveyo520

Because it is the only good one.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By _Zombie_

@Daveyo520 said:

Pretty much this. DC's far behind when it comes to making good live-action movies. Batman's the only film series to be consistently good so far.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I liked Green Lantern

luckydomino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By luckydomino1

becasuse its the only good one superman blowed the green lantern movie is crap watchmen oh god watchmen id dc decides to make wonderwoaman movie it better be good

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Zombie_

@luckydomino1 said:

becasuse its the only good one superman blowed the green lantern movies were crap watchmen oh god watchmen id dc decides to make wonderwoaman movie it better be good

Watchmen was actually good, though. Not a direct adaptation, but it was still good.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

Green Lantern wasn't nearly as bad as people say but it was by no means a good movie, if you ask me Nolan's Batman movies are liked more because more effort seems to be being done to make them good.

Avatar image for yumyumbubblegum
    yumyumbubblegum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By yumyumbubblegum

Minimum CGI. Maximum plot.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#9  Edited By The Impersonator

@Daveyo520 said:

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Hazlenaut

I think they need a consultant to tell them who any of the DC characters are. Hollywood needs a relation of any of the dc characters are. I am still surprise how they could mess up Jonah Hex. They just need to follow their Westerns.

Killerjax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Killerjax

Green Lantern was actually REAALLY good...

RedOwl_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By RedOwl_1

I haven't seen GL movie :'( but the only thing I know is that Superman Returns Sucks, is the worst sh*t ever, besides that one I haven't seen any non-Batman Movie

Enosisik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Enosisik

I liked Superman old and new but next time he needs to fight Darksied. Most DC comics are just so out dated and goody goody that ppl find it hard to relate to the story. You can look at Ironman and Batman and actually picture someone being smart enough to build a suit and machines like those in the story. It gives ppl a sense of 'hey that could be me'. X-men are young and or have a sympathetic story such as Cyclops and losing Jean and Logan not knowing who he is ect . It connects to the thoughts of young ppl who are looking to find themselves and of course the tragedy connects to raw emotion as well as real life losses that ppl suffer everyday. Not saying that Marvel has a better story just that many of their characters are easier to relate to. It's hard to feel bad for a Superman who is by our human standards perfect. He has the power that every man wants , he had the girl, he has a good job and he's loved by billions of ppl worldwide. oh and he never has to worry about getting sick or any of the normal physical pains that we as humans feel everyday.. So..., if Superman has a bad day and has to fight a couple of giant monsters that in truth (he could just throw into space and save himself some time if he chose to) .. Yeah it's just difficult to feel bad for the guy. Even with Batman there is some of the same. The man is rich beyond comprehension gets every girl he wants , has to coolest car possible but has a bit of Michael Jackson *ism* to him which throws people off. Joker and the dark version of Bats , was the savior of the Batman movies.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @ZombieBigfoot said:

@luckydomino1 said:

becasuse its the only good one superman blowed the green lantern movies were crap watchmen oh god watchmen id dc decides to make wonderwoaman movie it better be good

Watchmen was actually good, though. Not a direct adaptation, but it was still good.

I don't know how good the theatrical version was, but I liked the Ultimate Cut. 

Ironic part is, I like Watchmen but hate V for Vendetta, when most hate Watchmen and like V.
    _Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By _Zombie_

@JediXMan said:

@ZombieBigfoot said:

@luckydomino1 said:

I don't know how good the theatrical version was, but I liked the Ultimate Cut. Ironic part is, I like Watchmen but hate V for Vendetta, when most hate Watchmen and like V.

I liked them both, tbh. Watchmen was better, though.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

Cause it's epic and the others......well they just aren't

@ZombieBigfoot said:

I always hear people say Watchmen wasn't a direct adaptation but I saw the movie before reading the book and the day directly after seeing the movie I read the book and it looked like everything that was in the movie was in the book (other than the squid) and then I saw the movie two more times and re read the book and once again everything in the movie was in the book I know not everything that was in the book was in the movie but it seemed like a pretty direct adaptation to me can you please explain why it was not a "direct adaptation"

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#17  Edited By Deadcool

@spiderbat87 said:

I liked Green Lantern

Me too

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By Kairan1979
    @Rell127 said:

It's odd to me that this is the only movie DC has done right lately. I mean their last ones have been bad if it's not batman.

Im not really a Fan of Nolan's Batman. Im just shocked why batman is the only character people like from DC when it comes to films lately?

I disagree. I think Rorschash became very, very popular after the Watchmen movie.
    Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nova`Prime`

That is the one thing that always bothered me with the DC movies, Batman is a huge success, but when they tried to re do Superman it was a failure. You would think those two being the biggest cash cowes in the DC/WB stable they would be able to do Superman justice. I think the problem is they tried to hard to make Superman relate-able instead of focusing on making an awesome movie.

Also I think the biggest problem for Superman Returns was it was supposed to be a sequel of Superman and Superman 2, when in reality they probably should have started over with an origin story. I know nobody likes those, but hell they did it with Batman and it worked, we'll have to wait and see if it works again for the next movie I guess.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By HolySerpent

I kinda liked superman return. But green lantern movie was crap. I mean really! I'm betting the next superman movie will blow the dark knight and rises out of the water

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By progenitorigin

I own The Dark Knight, but i'm not really a Nolan fanboy or anything. TBH, I watch TDK for Joker more than I actually do Batman. I'm really not trying to hype up TDKR too much, it is what it is. Still haven't seen Green Lantern, but i've been more of a fan of the recent Marvel films, such as Thor and Captain America.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By entropy_aegis

@HolySerpent said:

I kinda liked superman return. But green lantern movie was crap. I mean really! I'm betting the next superman movie will blow the dark knight and rises out of the water

Maybe the series will eventually be on the same level as Nolan's Bat films(I hope so) but I doubt Supes is gonna blow TDK and TDKR.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By HolySerpent

That's my superman fanboy talking. But seriously Superman needs a villain ( not lex Luther) that can match him intellectually , and can go toe to toe with him .maybe someone similar .... maybe!

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
    cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cloudzackvincent

superman returns rally lacked action..did u notice..throughout the whole movie superman didn't throw a single punch....

i cannot say anythin about the acting or the plot but if the action sequences of 300, watchmen and suckerpunch are anything to go by....the man of steel will have some serious visually stunning action sequences

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By RainEffect
    @Daveyo520 said:

I have never seen a comment contain as much truth as this.
    Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By Magian

@RainEffect said:

@Daveyo520 said:

I have never seen a comment contain as much truth as this.

I will have to agree with this even though that hurts the Superman fanboy inside me lol

GuruOfFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By GuruOfFunk

The Nolan movies were good but I refuse to acknowledge them as Batman films. Hopefully the new ones will be more like Arkham Asylum/City, still have a feel of realism but aren't afraid to acknowledge the fact they're comic movies. Throw in someone like Clayface or Mr. Freeze, use Lazarus pits, that sort of thing (I would also LOVE a more material kind of costume, something that doesn't look like armour or plastic). I also found Green Lantern to be alright, wasn't great, but definitely somewhat enjoyable. With Marvel doing their thing DC will eventually pick up the pace.

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@Daveyo520 said:

Thats it!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @Rell127: its not just movie but games as well 
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Loki9876

Superman returns failed and the Green lantern did too (sadly i'm a GL fan). I hope they'll reboot it succesfully.

If they manage to make the new man of steel movie good (they'll may have a new franchise)

and maybe they'll make a flash movie.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @GuruOfFunk: material suit, really? but it'll look so stupid?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ReVamp

@Daveyo520 said:

Exactly what I was going to type.

Rell127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rell127

@spiderbat87: Well video games don't count because not everyone will play a game based off a comicbook character. I have a friend the only games he played based off comicbook characters are Spiderman 2 and Arkum City .

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Primmaster64

They have to put Superman punch something instead of lifting an island. I'm sick and tired of Lex Luthor...Thank God he's not going to be in Man Of Steel...But they should have used another villain...Zod has been done before...As for Green Lantern I can't really say anything because I haven't seen it.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#35  Edited By Magian

@Primmaster64 said:

They have to put Superman punch something instead of lifting an island. I'm sick and tired of Lex Luthor...Thank God he's not going to be in Man Of Steel...But they should have used another villain...Zod has been done before...As for Green Lantern I can't really say anything because I haven't seen it.

Agreed.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i think that the last series of Dc movies, Jonah Hex, Green Lantern, Superman Returns had great potential...but they just got shafted with lousy scripts, hopefully Green Lantern 2 and Man of steel will make up for it, and one day, hopefully we get a Wonder Woman movie

spystreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#37  Edited By spystreak

it's quite simple Batman is one of DC's mos popular characters and they actually have a good director doing these films personally I enjoyed Watchmen more than I did the Dark Knight I've seen Watchmen two hundred and eleven times and I've seen The Dark Knight about ten

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#38  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

Batman's much more relatable and realistic, unlike Superman who is an alien born with his powers or Green Lantern who was given his powers, Batman's a self-made hero. He's human just like anyone else who experienced a tragedy like many people do in losing loved ones and instead of letting that be a weakness he turned into a strength and uses it was his motivation to defend the city his family built from real world corporation and realistic villains. On some level, whether it be through losing someone you loved, fighting corruption in it's many forms, or taking something negative and turning it into a positive, Batman has something anybody at some level can relate to and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight captured those things perfectly.

But that's not to say other movies aren't as good, they just aren't as relatable as Batman is. I personally loved Superman Returns, I just didn't like that kid... <_< I liked the casting for Green Lantern, the plot itself was where the movie fell flat to me.

Hoboseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Hoboseid

Wrote by Joss (Buffy/Firefly) back in 2009 when his Wonder Woman script wasn't green lit by DC, he explained why Marvel's characters do better in movies

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2009/02/joss-whedon-why-its-so-hard-ge.html

JOSS WHEDON says Warner Bros is struggling to get many DC Comics heroes on to the big screen because they are too mythological and god-like to connect to audiences.

Whedon (pictured right), creator of TV hits Buffy, Angel and Firefly and the new series Dollhouse, spoke to Maxim about his involvement with superhero projects.He wrote the Astonishing X-Men comics until last year and also penned a Wonder Woman screenplay, which was shelved.Asked by Maxim why DC Comics was having a hard time turning its superheroes into movies, he said:

"Because, with that one big exception (Batman), DC's heroes are from a different era. They're from the era when they were creating gods."And the thing that made [rival publisher] Marvel Comics extraordinary was that they created people.

Their characters didn't living in mythical cities, they lived in New York. They absolutely were a part of the world. Peter Parker's character (Spider-Man) was a tortured adolescent. .

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#40  Edited By Deadcool

I am still waiting my movie about The Question...

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By ReVamp

I'd like to add that Watchmen is Vertigo, so I don't count it either way.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
    WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WaveMotionCannon

Other than Bats , most DC characters are hard to relate to. I

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By _Zombie_

@ReVamp said:

I'd like to add that Watchmen is Vertigo, so I don't count it either way.

Well, I feel stupid for forgetting that.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Because of Batman fanboys

moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By moywar700

Still waiting for a flash and wonder woman movie

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By _Zombie_

@Jnr6Lil said:

Because of Batman fanboys

LOL. It has nothing to do with 'fanboys'.

Avatar image for trueilluminatus
    TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TrueIlluminatus
    @moywar700 said:

Still waiting for a flash and wonder woman movie

Flash is more likely to happen within the next ten years.
    GuruOfFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#48  Edited By GuruOfFunk

@spiderbat87: Doesn't have to be a legit material suit. Something more like the comics though. Where its some sort of kevlar/body armour sort of thing but doesn't look as plastic as every suit so far.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Mayo88m

I kind of like the Green Lantern movie. Don't shoot me! I dunno it was fun at least, and I hadn't ever read a Green Lantern comic before the movie. It at least got me to try it out in the New 52. Don't get me wrong though, it is no where near as good as Batman's current run on the Box Office. Oh, and I liked the last Superman movie too.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By YoggSaron

@WaveMotionCannon: Batman is not someone you can relate to at all. He's a billionaire who spends his nights dressed up in a Bat costume who savagely beats and, on rare occasions, tortures people. Spider-Man is much better example of a relatable hero. As for it being about being relatable, it's unlikely that this is the case. So an alien from a dead planet isn't someone you can identify with, but someone like the god of thunder is? The Thor movie worked, and that proves that just about any character can work.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.