Why is Batman considered the "best hero"?

• 62 results
UFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

it seems like talking anything bad about him has become heresy.

one reason i always see is "he has no powers". well for one, that means him beating people with powers is extra ridiculous. second, he is faaaaar from the only non powered costumed hero. and definitely nowhere near the most relatable. how is a billionaire genius maxed out to peak in every human trait relatable?

also "omg people who suffer but still do the right thing are the best". oh yeah! because your mummy and your daddy getting shot is truly the most tragic thing ever. batman's never tasted desperate. hes the prince of gotham.

try bucky barnes for sheer human relatability and tragic backstory. literally tortured, brainwashed and enslaved for over 60 years.and bucky also manages just fine in battle without all the fancy tech.

hell any of the robins i would think are more relatable than batman is, because they've had to build themselves up from nothing, and werent born with innate talent. yes batman worked hard, but he's not the first non powered hero to do so and certainly not the most flawed or tragic

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uft said:

one reason i always see is "he has no powers". well for one, that means him beating people with powers is extra ridiculous. second, he is faaaaar from the only non powered costumed hero. and definitely nowhere near the most relatable. how is a billionaire genius maxed out to peak in every human trait relatable?

also "omg people who suffer but still do the right thing are the best". oh yeah! because your mummy and your daddy getting shot is truly the most tragic thing ever. batman's never tasted desperate. hes the prince of gotham.

try bucky barnes for sheer human relatability and tragic backstory. literally tortured, brainwashed and enslaved for over 60 years.and bucky also manages just fine in battle without all the fancy tech.

hell any of the robins i would think are more relatable than batman is, because they've had to build themselves up from nothing, and werent born with innate talent. yes batman worked hard, but he's not the first non powered hero to do so and certainly not the most flawed or tragic

be careful man, over time on this forum I've observed extreme batman "fanboys" who are not afraid to speak out loud for their favourite superhero and scream blasphemy whenever someone made just a tiny bit of criticism - Like what you are doing right now.

You're going to attract these people with this kind of thread.

I'm a casual batman fan who doesn't care that much if anyone criticizes Batman's character or lowballs his feats in fictional battle discussions - or any other character in particular... but I'm sure some batman fanboy on this forum will call me a hater for not being on his side.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

Cause opinions.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of his fanboys

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

No Caption Provided

This one better.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarthAznable

Oh. Another one of these threads.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goatzilla

Some people just don't get it.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uft: And by the way sure Bucky was tortured and that's bad and all but at least you weren't a little boy watching as both of your parents, the people that you love more than anything, killed in front of you. And then that whole thing with Jason Todd. Bats has had it far worse, pretty sure they didn't actually do it for 60 years, they probably stopped after a week at the most. Nobody gets tortured for 60 years straight.

VashtaNerada88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By VashtaNerada88

Batman..... his backstory isn't even all that great; John Con had a really rough childhood also....and wasn't a billionaire.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Squalleon

30 years of top notch story-telling in various mediums.

People actually don't understand the power of a good story.

goatzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By birdman400

Basically Bruce Wayne witnessed both his parents be killed in cold blood in front of him , went home to his butler who raised him like son in the most corrupt crime driven city in all of DC universe , he goes on a mission to avenge his parents death and find the killer , later in his 20s , he ventures off to train from a scrawny man to top peak physical human , he takes on the mantle of batman , he is at first reckless , not caring about killing and physically harming people then he realizes "I'm not a killer" , adopts his code of not killing , he then finds Dick Grayson adopts him after his parents are killed and takes him in as his sidekick "Robin , the boy wonder!" , they go through a lot and batman eventually meet the JL members and has more sidekicks, the notable Jason Todd who "dies" on his watch and Batman grieves over it , Batman is the greatest hero for the shear fact he is one of the smartest ever and he is the only "human" in the JL core founders and he still knows how to defeat every single one of them , not many humans can got toe-to-toe with Hal Jordan , MM , Shazam , Superman , Wonder Woman, The Flash and Cyborg and defeat them

Avatar image for the_master_merc
The_Master_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman400: First off, if I got a penny for every superhero/villain that's had relatives die, I'd be living in a real life Wayne manor, and whilst I know that Batman's had it worse than some, there's been a ton who's had it worse than him.

Batman is the greatest hero for the shear fact he is one of the smartest ever and he is the only "human" in the JL core founder

While it's true that he's one of the smartest in the DCU, writers tend to make knowledge only go so far in comics. One of, if not, the smartest being in the DCU, Brainiac, who has the knowledge of thousand of cities across the DCU, always gets beaten by Superman who practically doesn't have a brain compared to Brainiac's intellect.

he still knows how to defeat every single one of them , not many humans can got toe-to-toe with Hal Jordan , MM , Shazam , Superman , Wonder Woman, The Flash and Cyborg and defeat them

He does know how to beat the JL, but lets be honest, he didn't have anything that a regular person couldn't come up with. Also, he can't go toe-to-toe with all them, when his plans to beat the JL were executed, it wasn't done by him, but by an entire league of Assassins, and Ra's al ghul even tweaked them. In an all serious, blood lusted battle, Bat's wouldn't beat any of them with the exception of Cyborg.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_master_merc: you dnt realize parents were killed in front of him and he was raised in the worst city in all of DC universe , and Superman actually is smart , he retains enough knowledge on braniac on every encounter , and Batman can beat WW and Hal Jordan

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has very good stories to showcase the character in an appealing light.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's the goddamn Batman.

TheMan44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great supporting characters, the best rogue's gallery in comics, and has been written and drawn by some of the best in the biz.

These kind of threads get created all the time, you're not a special snowflake. Nice try.

The_Master_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_master_merc: you dnt realize parents were killed in front of him and he was raised in the worst city in all of DC universe , and Superman actually is smart , he retains enough knowledge on braniac on every encounter , and Batman can beat WW and Hal Jordan

YOU don't realize that's hardly anything. There's been people who's had worse in real life and haven't gone insane. Also, Gotham being the worse city in the DCU is bullshit, the city is actually civilized which is a lot better than some other cities, let alone the whole DCU.

Superman actually is smart , he retains enough knowledge on braniac on every encounter

You're missing my point. Brainiac is said to be so god dam smart but can't come up with ideas smarter than the writers.

Batman can beat WW and Hal Jordan

In a regular training battle, sure, but an all out battle, no writer bullshit and blood lusted, Batman doesn't have a chance

panther21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Pulls out popcorn

so what havr i missed? anything good yet?

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_master_merc: do you want a list of villians that have came out that city ? Joker , clayface , falcone family , scarecrow , firefly , intergang ,mr,freeze , bane , poison ivy , two-face, the penguin , the riddler , victor zsasz , mad hatter, should I name more? Gotham is the worst city in all of DC universe

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

He's been active for at least 5 years plus Bruce Wayne's efforts with his money. Gotham is still one of the sh**tiest cities in the country. He's not the best hero.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

NeonGameWave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don`t think he is the greatest hero but there are many who are on the opposite side of my opinion who believe he is but that still won`t change my opinion though.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By lamdaddy20

Another one of these threads...smh

No Caption Provided

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

he's not

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo Batman is the best hero of all time. As he is an ideal of justice and what you can achieve when you put your mind to achieving you goals. He is a hard working hero.

But to answer your question it is because people have different opinions on who is the best hero as we all have different thing we enjoy about heroes. Batman isn't considered the best hero he is one of the best heroes although.

Also

30 years of top notch story-telling in various mediums.

People actually don't understand the power of a good story.

Well said Squalleon.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Rouflex

Because Fantômas is a villain.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Zetsu-San

@uft: I don't like batman and I don't like superman. Both are written with juvenile power-fantasies in mind. Everyone says "he has no powers" as an excuse for why it's not a 'power fantasy', but they fail to see that that is supposed to make him seem even more badass. Also, I fail to see how special gadgets that no one else has are any different from powers.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He has a a lot of great story about him in almost every medium.

Not exactly rocket science.

VegetaPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Nuff said..

The_Master_Merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_master_merc: do you want a list of villians that have came out that city ? Joker , clayface , falcone family , scarecrow , firefly , intergang ,mr,freeze , bane , poison ivy , two-face, the penguin , the riddler , victor zsasz , mad hatter, should I name more? Gotham is the worst city in all of DC universe

Sure m8

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@uft said:

Nah you can say what you want friend.

People have many different reasons for liking Batman (or considering him is the best). Bruce not having powers, but still finding a way to prevail is a reason why some people consider him the best (there are lots of other reasons why people consider him the best). Also its not so far fetched in thinking that Bruce can defeat opponents he studied extensively and has the tools to get the job done.

True he isn't the only non powered hero, but he is still one of the greats. Him not being a powered hero is whats interesting about his character because through will power and determination he accomplished so much and stands as an equal on the JL (in terms of respect and other things).

He doesn't have to be the most relatable hero for people to consider him great. He is just there he isn't the most relatable and he isn't the least. When it comes to reliability it honestly just picking and choosing what traits you like about the heroes. Many superheroes aren't relatable due to their abilities but because we can resonate with the heroes upbringing, personality, plight, etc. In the case of Bruce Wayne he is relatable because he had to parents who loved him, he had a good upbringing, he has a great set of morals, he knows what loss is (and that's something we all know or will come to know) and he knows what its like to be lonely. We can also resonate with his plight of waning to stop injustice from happening to others because no one wants to suffer injustice.

Bruce isn't relatable because of his abilities (tons of superhero aren't relatable for their abilities), he is relatable for the things he has been through and the goals he strives for.

Him being a genius and peak human in terms of physical means is something he worked hard to achieve plus lots of street level heroes are peak human and there are a good amount that are intelligent.

Bruce losing his parents was him is him tasting despair. They were killed in front of his eyes and in that moment he lost his entire world. Tragedy effects people differently as well.

Also the "Prince" of Gotham title means nothing when Gotham is a very corrupt city and the people doing crime doesn't care what your "title" is. Look how far Bruce's parents got they were upstanding citizens of Gotham City and their dead. So Gotham criminals or corrupt officials don't care about what Bruce is to it.

Bruce's life is Bruce's life and Bucky's life is Bucky's life. Their different because they experienced different things. Bucky life is tragic no doubt but Bruce's life is tragic as well. And yes there are people with more or less tragic backgrounds than Bruce, but it doesn't the matter tragedies just shape the characters into who they are.

Bruce's life is tragic because when his parents died so did Bruce. Like I said he lost his world and he dedicated every ounce of his being to fighting crime. He for goes love, fun and to an extent family in order to do right. Its also worth noting for a long time its been debated is there even a Bruce Wayne. Which goes to show you he even put his mission over himself. That's why he a tragic character, because of the things he has gone through but also the life he sacrificed to help his city and the world.

And also Bucky has had access to the Avengers resources and he was the Man on the Wall which has crazy tech as well. He was also retro fitted to have a cool robotic arm. So he has/had resources.

hell any of the robins i would think are more relatable than batman is, because they've had to build themselves up from nothing, and werent born with innate talent.

The robins aren't at all that much more relatable. They too have their unrelatable things about their character as well.

The only robin who had nothing was Jason. Dick had loving parents. Tim had that and money. Damian had Money and really no parent. And each of them are born with an innate ability that makes them better than Bruce in an certain area. Dicks a natural acrobat, Jason is naturally more tenacious, Tim is a natural detective, Damian is a jack of all trades just like Bruce. It even extends to Cassandra who is a natural fighter and Babs who is a natural computer whiz. Steph is just Steph but she is naturally a very positive person. Everywhere else their good/ok in an area (meaning there skill level) Bruce is good at (plus they are peak human or very close to it). Bruce on the other hand work hard to become a jack of all trades.

They all built themselves up from the lives they were delt.

yes batman worked hard, but he's not the first non powered hero to do so and certainly not the most flawed or tragic

Bruce was the first non powered superhero (in relation to comics) to work hard and achieve great things.

Regardless he isn't the only non powered hero who achieved great things, he doesn't have to be the first to be considered the great. Bruce also doesn't need to be the most tragic hero to be considered the best. And when it comes to being flawed Bruce is a immensely flawed character, but again he doesn't have to be the most flawed character to be great. Who is the greatest hero is completely subjective and is dependent on a person's preferences.

For me I consider Bruce the best hero because he is an ideal for achieving anything you put your mind to and work hard for. That he is a beacon of justice and then he is relatable.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Geez Batman detractors cant even let his fans think about loving the character. Nah they say look at this D-lister,he's totally more tragic/relatable/cooler/can do everything Batman can/blah blah. People are fans for their own reasons,get over it.

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman might currently be the biggest star amongst superhero fans that don't read comics, but amongst comic readers he is not. If he was, then he would have the best selling comic books, which he has not consistently had since the 1960s.

Yes, some people give stupid reasons why they like him, but I have heard people give stupid reasons for liking my favorite charecters too. Not everyone likes somthing for the same reasons.

You don't have to be relatable to be popular. Deadpool is popular right now, and he is not relatable in general either. Same with the original Ultimates who were very popular in the early 00s, not relatable, but they were still a fun read. Personally I don't relate to him, but just because I don't does not mean someone else can't.

The reason why he is popular is simple. Because he is featured in a lot of good stories. That is all it takes to become popular.

LordWhis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He is the original superhero, been around since 1925, other superheroes wouldn't exist if it weren't for Batman

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Invain
@lordwhis said:

He is the original superhero, been around since 1925, other superheroes wouldn't exist if it weren't for Batman

Batman was created in 1939, not 1925. He was not the original superhero, seeing as how he was predated two years by Superman. He was not the original masked vigilante seeing as how he was predated nine years by the Shadow and twenty years by Zorro.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I like Batman very much in his solo series. I just wish he would stay there. I don't like him in the justice League. He is better fitted to fight criminals and his rogue's gallery, not JL calabur supervillains.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Popularity.

Also BEACUSE HES BATMAN

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By OrangeBat

Boo-hoo-hoo: The Thread.

Seriously, I have yet to see ANY of this "extreme fanboyism" that Batman fans supposedly display or "the best hero" spiel. In the past year, I have counted one, exactly ONE case of extreme fanboyism on this forum that was not a clear case of trolling people for the heck of it, because God knows anti-Batman folks are ridiculously easy to rile up.

On the flip-side, there's at least one case a week of people bitching about Batman here. It's as bad as the "Superman is an overpowered hack" thing, except that one mostly comes from people who are unfamiliar with the comics, while with Batman it's mostly a case of comic fans with some weird chip on their shoulder against the guy.

@immolation said:

Batman might currently be the biggest star amongst superhero fans that don't read comics, but amongst comic readers he is not. If he was, then he would have the best selling comic books, which he has not consistently had since the 1960s.

???

You're entitled to your opinion, but where are you pulling this from?

I mean, have you checked Batman's sales numbers? He's consistently one of the top-selling DC properties. Heck, DC has even taken to shoving other characters and books under the Bat-Brand to push them.

Guy's referred to as DC's cash-cow for a reason. Plenty of comic readers and non-comic readers alike love him.

@invain said:
@lordwhis said:

Batman was created in 1939, not 1925. He was not the original superhero, seeing as how he was predated two years by Superman. He was not the original masked vigilante seeing as how he was predated nine years by the Shadow and twenty years by Zorro.

Damn my pedantry, but it's one year, not two. Superman first appeared in 1938.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Invain

@orangebat: I made a error! Thank you, thank you Mr. bat fan for taking time out of your busy schedule to correct me!

Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Immolation

@orangebat said:

@immolation said:

???

I mean, have you checked Batman's sales numbers? He's consistently one of the top-selling DC properties. Heck, DC has even taken to shoving other characters and books under the Bat-Brand to push them.

Guy's referred to as DC's cash-cow for a reason. Plenty of comic readers and non-comic readers alike love him.

You could ask me for a link without implying that I am stating opinion as fact.

Batman is the top selling DC proberty, but currently Star Wars, Secret Wars, or whatever "event" Marvel is doing at the time is usually number one. Occasionally Batman takes number one, but not consistently. Before the New 52 relaunch Batman was rarely ever number one and occasionally did not even make top 10. Check it out.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@orangebat said:
@immolation said:

???

Batman is the top selling DC proberty, but currently Star Wars, Secret Wars, or whatever "event" Marvel is doing at the time is usually number one. Occasionally Batman takes number one, but not consistently. Before the New 52 relaunch Batman was rarely ever number one and occasionally did not even make top 10. Check it out.

By your admission the only thing that takes the lead over Batman are gimmicks.

Here's something from your link,sales figures for November 2010. Still this is a pointless debate and I dont want any part in it. Batman is certainly a high selling property,that's good enough for me.

1Batman The Return
2Batman Incorporated
3Avengers
4Batman Return Of Bruce Wayne
5Batman And Robin
6Brightest Day
7Brightest Day
8Amazing Spider-Man
9Green Lantern
10Batman And Robin
11New Avengers
12Batman
Immolation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Immolation

@entropy_aegis:

Actually star wars is not a gimmick comic, and if you would look through the months you will see that Batman is also commonly beaten by Avengers and Spider-Man.

Yes, Batman sold well in November 2010. Most months looked nothing at all like that though.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:
@immolation said:
@orangebat said:
@immolation said:

???

By your admission the only thing that takes the lead over Batman are gimmicks.

Here's something from your link,sales figures for November 2010. Still this is a pointless debate and I dont want any part in it. Batman is certainly a high selling property,that's good enough for me.

1Batman The Return
2Batman Incorporated
3Avengers
4Batman Return Of Bruce Wayne
5Batman And Robin
6Brightest Day
7Brightest Day
8Amazing Spider-Man
9Green Lantern
10Batman And Robin
11New Avengers
12Batman

What is the point of posting the month of November 2010? You think because he was popular for one month that it means that he is always popular? Here is the month of May 2001.

1. New X-Men

2. Uncanny X-Men

3. X-Treme X-Men

4. Ultimate X-Men

5. Green Arrow

6. Ultimate Spider-Man

7. JLA

8. Amazing Spider-Man

9. Wolverine

10. Brotherhood

You know what this proves? Nothing. Just like November 2010.