Why I think DC has SUPERIOR female characters compared to Marvel

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

I hope not to offend the female posters on this site, but this has been on my mind. DC has superior and more likable female characters compared to Marvel thats it almost a no competition. Marvel has been trying to boost some of their female characters yet they still fall extremely short compared to DC, but they are still going at it the wrong way.

DC has... Supergirl, Powergirl, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Batgirl(Barbara), Batgirl(Cassandra Cain), Catwoman, Starfire, Black Canary, Huntress, Zatanna and to top it all off... Wonder Woman. Those are some heavy hitters. Meanwhile, Marvel doesn't really have anything to counter that. Heck, if WW were to leave, DC would still have a long roster of quality female characters.

Again, not to offend female posters, but to me the problem is how differently the two companies see female characters.

To me DC female super heros are characters you would go to a bar and drink with, they like to have fun, everyone wants to be around them. They're sexy but also chill at the same time. Overall they're just popular but also just enjoyable. That's what I get from female DC characters whenever I read them.

When it comes to Marvel however... They are the type to constantly complain, they go on and on about feminism, they dont like to have "fun" and then wonder why they can't get a man. This is how I envision them when i read about them.

In a nutshell...

No Caption Provided

vs...

No Caption Provided

Marvel is trying to build up Carol Danvers are their own Wonder Woman, not only are they coming up short but they're going at it the wrong way. I know there will be LOTS of disagreements and hope this didn't come off offensive, but this is how I personally see it. ONE OF the reasons is that Marvel female characters are not "fun", especially in personalities.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Amonfire1776

Phoenix Jean Grey kills everyone on your list at the same time...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Phoenix Jean Grey kills everyone on your list at the same time...also nice bait...

I'm talking about characterization. Read.

Plus the majority on the list are far more interesting than Jean Grey IMO.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Amonfire1776
BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for generalbeastgod
generalbeastgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol You didn't help your argument at all. Your reasoning is super weak. Just the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think one thing that DC does have in its favor is that is does have more female heroes who can stand on their own. Don't get me wrong, both companies have plenty of female heroes whom exist mainly as part of a team or the side character/partner in another book. But most of the best female Marvel heroes exist primarily on a team: Invisible Woman, Jean Grey, Black Widow, Storm, etc. With very few ever operating on their own or being know of outside of that team. For DC, characters like Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and Black Canary are known outside of the teams they work with.

Not saying DC is perfect in their female representation though, as they do still have plenty of characters who are more sidekicks and villains of a more main hero, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley, and Catwoman being the biggest examples of this, so they don't get too much over characters like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, or Mystique.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

I think one thing that DC does have in its favor is that is does have more female heroes who can stand on their own. Don't get me wrong, both companies have plenty of female heroes whom exist mainly as part of a team or the side character/partner in another book. But most of the best female Marvel heroes exist primarily on a team: Invisible Woman, Jean Grey, Black Widow, Storm, etc. With very few ever operating on their own or being know of outside of that team. For DC, characters like Wonder Woman, Zatanna, and Black Canary are known outside of the teams they work with.

Not saying DC is perfect in their female representation though, as they do still have plenty of characters who are more sidekicks and villains of a more main hero, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley, and Catwoman being the biggest examples of this, so they don't get too much over characters like She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, or Mystique.

Agreed with the bolded.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 anthp2000  Moderator

Black Widow and Storm are the most well known ones Marvel has, and even they are nowhere near the popularity of Wonder Woman / Catwoman or even lesser ones, Supergirl, Harley Quinn etc.

It's really not a lie that DC has done a much better job with the iconic female characters.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol You didn't help your argument at all. Your reasoning is super weak. Just the silliest thing I've ever heard.

Elaborate or don't bother.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men females alone BTFO DC female characters.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Widow and Storm are the most well known ones Marvel has, and even they are nowhere near the popularity of Wonder Woman / Catwoman or even lesser ones, Supergirl, Harley Quinn etc.

It's really not a lie that DC has done a much better job with the iconic female characters.

Well partly yeah, but they had also a lot of luck and good basics considering the tons of bullshit they did and still do sometimes.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000

Agreed.

@cattlebattle

Who? The only one I can think of is Storm and Rogue. And X-Men writers don't even wanna push Storm.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

X-Men females alone BTFO DC female characters.

Pah not even in their wildest X-dreams.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously if DC were to kill off WW they would STILL be solid with their female rosters. Heck, Harley Quinn alone can carry DC female roster.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator

@alsimmons77 said:
@anthp2000 said:

Well partly yeah, but they had also a lot of luck and good basics considering the tons of bullshit they did and still do sometimes.

DCEU or DC in general?

Don't get me wrong I absolutely hate Rebirth, I just don't get what you're refering to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4
deactivated-5c8fd6cb3e4f4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously if DC were to kill off WW they would STILL be solid with their female rosters. Heck, Harley Quinn alone can carry DC female roster.

seriously what is so special about Harley Quinn.

Rouge is a much more developed character than her.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

She has A LOT of female fans and they helped build her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786 said:

She has A LOT of female fans and they helped build her.

still isn't as developed as Rouge, Carol, Storm, She-Hulk, or Scarlett Witch

I mean when someone says name some comic book female character names I can name more Marvel females than DC females

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 anthp2000  Moderator

Harley Quinn is easily one of the most well written characters in both Marvel and DC.

Only people who haven't read stuff about her would say she's not objectively interesting.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@trust_this_786:

And YET she's more popular than all those you listed. Especially with female readers. And Carol more developed than Harley??? LOL!

@anthp2000

Agreed again...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trust_this_786:

And YET she's more popular than all those you listed. Especially with female readers. And Carol more developed than Harley??? LOL!

@anthp2000

Agreed again...

I've seen the same story time and time again. The only thing interesting about her is that she was once Joker's lackey and now she's defected from it and wants to bang other men who aren't as abusive

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol will never be the same level as WW, not even with her movie, and ESPECIALLY not after Civil War 2.

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol Danvers is popular no matter if you think so or not. She is the girl power of the new age and really the Anti-Wonder woman. She dont need to show T or A to be strong and powerful. SHe's just like every girl in the world, plain. But with make up can look pretty and stunning. She also started off as a regular woman, which would resonated with young girls where as Wonder Woman has godly origin. Young girls can't relate.

That's why Carol books sells so well.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druzzie said:

Carol Danvers is popular no matter if you think so or not. She is the girl power of the new age and really the Anti-Wonder woman. She dont need to show T or A to be strong and powerful. SHe's just like every girl in the world, plain. But with make up can look pretty and stunning. She also started off as a regular woman, which would resonated with young girls where as Wonder Woman has godly origin. Young girls can't relate.

Last I checked they been flopping. Especially compared to WW.

And this whole "can't relate" is exaggerated. WW symbolizes what young girls want to be.

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druzzie said:

And this whole "can't relate" is exaggerated. WW symbolizes what young girls want to be.

Once upon a time when the world was more gender based. Now a days, Carol is showing girls they don't have to be pretty to be heroes or be specials. They can be plain and nobody and still save the world. SHe even cover herself up from head to toe, no need to be like WW. It's a different age King.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know if I necessarily agree with the reasoning, but I do agree with the sentiment. If I were to make a list of my favorite female comic characters, I would have way more for DC than for Marvel (and mind you, I'm not even a WW fan).

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@druzzie said:
@druzzie said:

Once upon a time when the world was more gender based. Now a days, Carol is showing girls they don't have to be pretty to be heroes or be specials. They can be plain and nobody and still save the world. SHe even cover herself up from head to toe, no need to be like WW. It's a different age King.

Who said anything about being pretty? Yeah, you're points would be true IF Carol books actually sold especially on comparable to WW's. This has nothing to do with "different age." WW clearly represents what women want. Its not me. The sells speak for themselves.

Wonder Woman 34: 41,185

Captain Marvel 126: 15,037

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-11.html

Again, WW clearly symbolizes what women like. Which is why her film was such a success. Its not me who said this. Carol Danvers is just a boring character. And being "special" is important for character development. Harley Quinn is "special" yet "plain."

PS: Just to be clear... I'm not even a big WW fan and read more Marvel than DC.

Alsimmons77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alsimmons77 said:
@anthp2000 said:

DCEU or DC in general?

Don't get me wrong I absolutely hate Rebirth, I just don't get what you're refering to.

DC in general, long before Rebirth already.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Asgaard

The X-Men franchise has great female characters, and after Disney buying Fox movie division, they should have a big role again in the MU, hopefully not portrayed like some of the current political correctness caricatures.

Sif and Hela also are great characters, but i really doubt that we will ever see that under Aaron's pen...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@asgaard said:

The X-Men franchise has great female characters, and after Disney buying Fox movie division, they should have a big role again in the in MU, hopefully not portrayed like some of the current political correctness caricatures.

Sif and Hela also are great characters, but i really doubt that we will ever see that under Aaron's pen...

Hope Storm becomes front and center. Yea I said that...

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who said anything about being pretty? Yeah, you're points would be true IF Carol books actually sold especially on comparable to WW's. This has nothing to do with "different age." WW clearly represents what women want. Its not me. The sells speak for themselves.

Wonder Woman 34: 41,185

Captain Marvel 126: 15,037

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-11.html

Again, WW clearly symbolizes what women like. Which is why her film was such a success. Its not me who said this. Carol Danvers is just a boring character. And being "special" is important for character development. Harley Quinn is "special" yet "plain."

PS: Just to be clear... I'm not even a big WW fan and read more Marvel than DC.

Ok that's books, mostly bought by men who loves to see the eye candy that is WW, Carol naturally do better with women comic readers as Men would not buy a book with a plain looking Superheroine. Well, most men. So yes there is paraity, but Captain Marvel would be for true females while WW are boys comics fans.

AS for her movie, when Carol movie comes out, watch her make bank, especially as she is taking center stage in the Marvel Rising cartoon that is coming up.

Also being specials is overplayed, look at the general consensus now a days. Special-ness that was once a staple of story telling is now toss out the window. Anybody can be anything. It's just how the times are changing.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it sad that if you remove characters Claremont created or heavily developed than you lose 3 of Marvel's top 5 female characters?

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@druzzie:

Ok that's books, mostly bought by men who loves to see the eye candy that is WW, Carol naturally do better with women comic readers as Men would not buy a book with a plain looking Superheroine. Well, most men. So yes there is paraity, but Captain Marvel would be for true females while WW are boys comics fans.

This seems like a reach. How do you know they were mainly brought by males??? DC has a large fanbase. Hell, Harley Quinn books sell out and most of the purchases are definitely buy females. WW is a iconic female character, saying her books were mostly brought by male readers is again a reach. And WW is more than "eye candy", lol... You don't read a book JUST OFF "eye candy." And your last sentence is extremely subjective.

AS for her movie, when Carol movie comes out, watch her make bank, especially as she is taking center stage in the Marvel Rising cartoon that is coming up.

We'll have to see about this.

Also being specials is overplayed, look at the general consensus now a days. Special-ness that was once a staple of story telling is now toss out the window. Anybody can be anything. It's just how the times are changing.

???? Being special is a VERY important part of characterization... Its what operates characters from other characters. The Punisher is as "plain" as it gets yet he is still "special." And you keep bringing up times are changing but never elaborate.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

?

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Black Canary, Zatanna, Amanda Waller, Hawkgirl, Starfire, Raven, Mera, Huntress, Vixen

Marvel fanboys are in denial, ignore them

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel is one of the worst female characters I've seen

Only good Marvel female characters are in the Xmen or mutants the rest suck

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Marvel is one of the worst female characters I've seen

Only good Marvel female characters are in the Xmen or mutants the rest suck

FACT. "Buh... Buh... Buh... Females like her because she's 'plain." Yet she can barely outsell Gwenpool...

But as far as your second sentence kinda disagree... I love Monica Rambeau but Marvel doesn't wanna do anything with her. :( :(

TheGhostKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol Danvers used to such a hot cheerful piece of ass

Now some lifelong LOSERS have gotten hold of her and use her to push their LOSER agenda

Ask ANY woman if they want to be Wonder woman or Carol Danvers and the answer is sadly not even somewhat close as it once would have been

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol Danvers used to such a hot cheerful piece of ass

Now some lifelong LOSERS have gotten hold of her and use her to push their LOSER agenda

Ask ANY woman if they want to be Wonder woman or Carol Danvers and the answer is sadly not even somewhat close as it once would have been

"BUH...BUH...BUH...ITS A DIFFERENT AGE! WOMEN WANT SOMEONE MORE RELATABLE!!!! Carol Danvers doesnt have to be eye candy! WW is for little boys while Carol is for real women!" Meanwhile, WW movie is a hit for women and Carol's books keep flopping.

Seriously, be around any women and they would choose WW. Heck, my girl would choose WW. Hell there is a reason why females like Beyonce are so popular among women. This whole "relatable" thing is exaggerated. You can be a "diva" while still being a powerful female.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93 said:

DC: Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Supergirl, Batgirl, Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, Black Canary, Zatanna, Amanda Waller, Hawkgirl, Starfire, Raven, Mera, Huntress, Vixen

I don't see how this is even being debated. DC has done a way better job at promoting their female roster over the years. As far as recognition with the general audience goes, the only ones that come close are Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey, Black Widow and The Invisible Woman. As of right now, people outside of comic book fans still don't know who Carol Danvers is. She isn't even in the same tier as Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn right now. Will this change after her solo movie? Absolutely. But as of right now, no, and it's not even close.

Kingnemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. DC has way better and most interesting characters. Marvel females are boring hax characters especially x-women

OldBoy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93 said:

I don't see how this is even being debated. DC has done a way better job at promoting their female roster over the years. As far as recognition with the general audience goes, the only ones that come close are Storm, Rogue, Jean Grey, Black Widow and The Invisible Woman. As of right now, people outside of comic book fans still don't know who Carol Danvers is. She isn't even in the same tier as Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn right now. Will this change after her solo movie? Absolutely. But as of right now, no, and it's not even close.

IMO Mystique is more popular than Rogue and Jean Grey

Gpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Au_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They can both do better with their superheroines.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldboy93 said:
@thatduderox said:
@oldboy93 said:

IMO Mystique is more popular than Rogue and Jean Grey

You're right, she's up there too. I forgot about her.

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman solos.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

The X-Men franchise has great female characters, and after Disney buying Fox movie division, they should have a big role again in the MU, hopefully not portrayed like some of the current political correctness caricatures.

Sif and Hela also are great characters, but i really doubt that we will ever see that under Aaron's pen...A

Aaron already set up the relationship between Hela and Thanos which will probablly carry into the mcu