Avatar image for deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f
deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The big 4 Shonen. Dragon Ball, Naurto, Bleach, and One Piece. These are four of the biggest franchises with the biggest fanbases in all of anime and manga.

However, despite it's popularity in it's home, One Piece has had a harder time shifting across seas to a different audience like it's fellow Shonen have.

This thread is to share my reasons as to why I personally love the series despite the hate that it gets. So if you already don't give a S*** then now's the time to change tabs lol

So, without further ado.... let's get to it.... :D

One Piece is not a "battle manga"

No Caption Provided

One Piece has fighting, yes... but it's not just a "battle manga". The difference between One Piece and the other big 3 Shonen... is that those series are mainly focused on giving you these epic, long-lasting, brilliant fights and battles. Whereas One Piece is focused on throwing at you a variety of different situations and obstacles for the heroes to overcome through adventure rather than fighting:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

See..... even MY OWN reason for not liking One Piece when I first saw it... was because it just didn't scratch that itch that I had for two guys beating the snot out of each other. And I know those other series aren't all just that and they offer a variety as well. I'm NOT saying they're so strictly confined to their genres and don't branch out at all. The entire final arc in Naruto is branching off into a war. Say what you want about that arc but in terms of action it was the most different type of fighting we've been given in the series thus far. Same with Dragon Ball and the Tournament of Power... it was all one giant battle instead of individual one-on-one fights like previously anticipated; therefore it is by far the most different the series ever takes itself action-wise. Bleach as well can be different with the variety of hollows there are especially ones like Menos Grande and such, and their are definitely team fights/battles that involve more than just 1v1 in Bleach.

However..... in my opinion One Piece changes things up more often, and that's because I believe it's not a "battle manga" like the others. If I were to label OP I would simply call it an "action adventure comedy" series. I say this because there is also no doubt that One Piece in terms of fights isn't as good as DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach.... there I said it. In terms of the fights, they are better than OP.... but that's because that's really all they focus on and all there is to those series.... is the fighting. I mean think about it. In terms of what we're always looking at when reading/watching these series... in terms of the "content" if you will... in terms of what we as an audience get out of the series.... we're mainly always watching/reading action in the form of fights, and on top of that specifically 1v1 fights...... there's no denying this. I love DBZ, Naruto, and Bleach to death... but that's just the type of series they are. And that's OKAY. I'm NOT criticizing these series for mainly being about fighting. Again.... they are "Battle Manga" .....of course they're about the fights.... too many fights is a stupid complaint to have about these series because that's what they're about. And this is of course why they have better fights than One Piece... I mean they BETTER have..... if they didn't then how S*** would they be? If they focused on the fights more than OP yet OP still has better fights? That would be crazy.....

With that being said.... that's just why I think I personally prefer One Piece..... because it HAS that... AND so much more. One Piece has the 1v1 fights for everyone like me who has that itch with Luffy vs Lucci, Luffy vs Doflamingo, Zoro vs mr. 1, etc...... AND it has action in a much more varied sense.

See.... when I say "action" I know a lot of people only think in terms of "fighting". But action can mean anything; walking, running, jumping, etc....

This is why in terms of ACTION....... I prefer One Piece because it's such an epic saga that stands the test of time imo. There are so many exciting moments in One Piece that DON'T involve fighting and that's just not something you can really say about those other series. AGAIN, those other Shonen aren't bad because of this... this is just my personal preference as to why I love OP... because I just LOVE "epic" types of stories filled with lore and mythology, characters and mysteries, action and wars, beautiful worlds and settings, etc.... so of course One Piece suits my needs just perfectly. I love battle series and 1v1 fights as well.... however I also love when a series can give me that ON TOP of a gigantic war..... just giving us so much more in terms of "action".

No Caption Provided

Most series seem to be content with just simply throwing two or more characters at each other with different powers and having them duke it out... but not OP. One Piece is fixated on creating a situation rather than a fight. It's hard to explain but just hear me out.....

No Caption Provided

In practically any other series.... they would just have Zoro fight Kaku normally without any real interruptions or anything else happening in the plot. It would just be your standard badass fight between two powerful characters... but I've seen that a billion times. What One Piece does.... is actually turn these fights into something more. They make the fights more situational thus adding an extra element of danger. Like... how many times can you just watch Zoro have a badass fight and kick someone's ass? That's cool and all.... but One Piece doesn't just settle for that. They go the extra mile and go above and beyond to give us the most creative and fun situations possible. OP doesn't seem to be able to just give us a straight forward fight. There's always some handicap or something about the environment or just any random type of situation that can influence fights. One of the only other series I've seen implement such random conditions to their fights is JoJo's.

I used to hate all this about OP. This used to be the reason why I dislike it, but now it's the exact reason why I love it lol.

Just think about it.... In most other series all they focus on is the fight that's happening at that very moment, but One Piece allows for all of it's characters to be doing something at the same time and allows for everyone to contribute and be relevant to the story. During most Shonen fights. the entire attention of the audience is just on that fight and none of the other characters are being very proactive or contributing much to the plot in their own way.

But not in One Piece.... because One Piece GIVES them something to be doing in the plot. The story always ensures that there's so much else happening besides just what two characters are doing....... while Luffy is fighting Crocodile the other characters are having their own adventure and doing something just as epic getting to the top of the tower and defusing the bomb. While Luffy is fighting Lucci even besides everyone else's fights they free Robin and fight the marines and escape the buster call. While Luffy is fighting Doflamingo... alright you get the point lol. I just love this about the series, I love how the action can give us everything from giant battles and wars:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

To high-stake, thrilling moments of adventure:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

To truly marvelous, eye-popping, fantastic spectacles that offer the reader a true breathtaking experience:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I can keep posting pics all day but I'm sure you get the point lol. You don't have to agree with it. Like I said that's not what this thread is about. This is just why in my personal opinion I love One Piece. Because I love the spectacle of it. I love how varied and creative the action the world is, and how captivating and brilliant the writing has been. I'm not trying to say how everyone should love OP.... I'm simply saying why love it despite the hate that it gets..... and why it suits the needs for someone of my tastes. Someone who is into these grandiose, fantastic, epic sagas like this.

My main reason for making this thread is because I have seen on this website that OP gets a ton of hate. I'm sure people in the comments will say "Because of annoying fanboys like you" but see... It's a free country.... so you can S*** on me or OP all you want... but that also means I can do the opposite... so there ya go! ^^

Sorry again for the super long thread.... but let me know your thoughts. Do you agree with me? Do you also love the action and adventure of One Piece? :D Or am I a worthless, piece of S*** OP-tard who deserves to die? Let me know any comments to help bump the thread and keep it at the top so people can see are much appreciated thank you very much and have a nice day! ^^

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

It gets hate? Most of the time I see it get nothing but praise. Personally, I don't like it, the animation/drawing isn't for me and it gets too silly for my tastes. And the arcs go on for too long, but hey, It's the top selling in Japan, so if anything, I think me and people who don't like it are in the minority.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since when does One Piece get hate? Even on CV?

Avatar image for larcadedragneel
LarcadeDragneel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Piece is good because of the world building and foreshadowing. I re-read a few times each year and every time I read the series again I notice so many small things that I didn't before. For example, the first time I re-read the series I noticed the mention of characters that are barely affecting the story now. For example, the Gorosei, Kaido, Shanks, and a few others.

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FaradaySloth

Only people who hate OP are salty Naruto and DB fans, and then the ones who don’t like it for some understandable reasons.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Too long for me to care about reading, but the only hate I see is the anime. Also you do not need to defend what you like. I like half of FT and SAO II, I do not give a crap about other people opinion (unless it validates mines XD).

Beyonder97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Beyonder97

it's ok to love something that someone else hate there's nothing wrong about it, no need to create a thread

Ebitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ebitan

One Pice is one of the best mangas I have read. So far one of my favourites and I prefer it more than Naruto because I like Adventure and it is funnier because it does not take itself seriously. I prefer Luffy's creative development with his powers unlike Naruto's Kyuubi mode GG , Shadow clone spam and Giant Rasengans.

GGtinyPP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I love this manga so much, the only hate it gets is its too long, which is very understandable

The series is long but it is very well paced, except for dressrosa that was wayyyyy to long

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People dont hate One Piece

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Piece is the most popular manga of all time, so I think this is silly.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Some people have an issue with the art style which I understand even if I don’t agree. Because it’s more comedic than the other well known shonen, its style reflects that just as TV’s Freskazoid differed from BTAS or 90’s X-Men.

FangDaNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Piece gets hate?

Avatar image for draculemiihawk_
DraculeMiihawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One Piece > Dragon Ball #FACTS

KGoulding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see much hate against One Piece here. I'm not a fan but I don't hate One Piece. I even watched some of its episodes before.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By legacy6364

I truly wasn't aware One Piece had any animosity toward it. I was under the inclination that most respected it regardless of whether they are a fan or not.

I'm starting to think people like you just make things up.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP is one of those fictional works that I can't manage to enjoy no matter how many times I try but at the same time I respect it and fully undestand why others would.

gelato_exotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably because it’s wacky... Just look at the art

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator

It gets hate? Most of the time I see it get nothing but praise. Personally, I don't like it, the animation/drawing isn't for me and it gets too silly for my tastes. And the arcs go on for too long, but hey, It's the top selling in Japan, so if anything, I think me and people who don't like it are in the minority.

my answer remains the same. It's just too silly for my liking and I can't get behind the character designs

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Favorite Anime of all time

And just started watching it the past year

Which is saying a lot

hkesupermantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hkesupermantis

What it get hates? even it has is pretty few, you know even you put it against FMA or other greater animes people will still blindly say it's a masterpiece, that's just how crazy popular and too much praise it gets.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get it, not too much of a fruit person myself.

El_directo_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This the first time I'm hearing one piece gets hate lol