Why don't people like the dceu?

• 91 results
rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I know they made some bad movies but hasn't every franchise? Marvel has made some pretty bad movies but people are okay with that. I think its either snyder haters, Marvel fanboys, or the fact that DC tried to copy avengers, but it isnt all that bad. MoS isn't (wasn't) the abomination people say it to be

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

It all comes down to three different things: color, tone, and stories.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff
deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There's a few good movies and a few bad movies in the DCEU. That's your answer.

sabracadabra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the dceu. only film imo that was truly bad was justice league. the others were good or mediocre.

Kidolio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just don’t like their version of Superman and Batman.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's not faithful to the core of their characters.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the dceu. only film imo that was truly bad was justice league. the others were good or mediocre.

suicide squad crying in the corner

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its starting to be liked. I mean people loved shazam! and WW and 1984 is gonna be amazing. snyder cut will at least be better than theatrical one and darkseid is coming.

StealthGrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the DCEU. only film imo that was truly bad was SUICIDE SQUAD The others were good or mediocre.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are sheep. JL & SSQUAD are pretty bad though.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No people are not sheep. BVS, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, Man of Steel, how many bad movies does the DCEU need to churn out before you consider it fair to dislike the rushed mess?

And who honestly hates it at this point? Everyone I know hates the first three movies and has ones they think aren't very good but then say "but Wonder Woman was great". Nobody hates the universe, but when you're consistently bad in the beginning, you need constant wins for a while before trust is restored. It's like feats, prove that Wonder Woman and Shazam aren't outliers and people will become bigger supporters.

And for the record, the MCU has not made a bad movie. Not as good as the rest? Sure. Less satisfying than the last? Yes.

Bad? No. Suicide Squad and Justice League are far worse than any MCU movie has been.

And not I don't care, but OP brought up the MCU. Insinuating that people who don't like that horrendous superman film are Snyder haters or MCU fanboys is ignorant as all people who went into that theater in 2013 WANTED a great Superman film, but got that mess.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first impression, I supposed.

It starts with a rather divisive film, the second is bad and the third is worse. It'll need a string of good films to gain the audience's trust in the brand.

Ccbm2208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@war_of_light_2814: I guess people just don't enjoy certain aspects of the DCEU . Aquaman was the movie that changes things up ALOT and it was the first in the franchise that grossed over a billion dollars . It seems like it will be hard for the DCEU to succeed if they keep maintaining the flaws of the first few movies .

SireMystKing52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SireMystKing52

@rawsos: You answered your own question bud: Marvel fanboys.

These are the same people that think the MCU movies are anything above cheap action flicks that happen to have Marvel characters in them lol

Avatar image for essentiallyheroes
EssentiallyHeroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People don't like DCEU because it takes material that should be really interesting and entertaining and makes it asinine.

Mainly BvS, Justice League, Suicide Squad, and to a degree Man of Steel are the movies most people don't like. Aside from MoS its clear that the filmmakers had no respect for the characters and only wanted to use them to take money away from Marvel. WW, Flash, Aquaman, and Cyborg were portrayed well enough in Justice League but Batman and Superman were treated so poorly.

There are definitely some Marvel fans that feel some ridiculous sense of tribalism and want to prove that Marvel movies are better but the majority of us really couldn't care less about which is better. We just wanted good movies and DC failed until WW Shazam and Aquaman came around. Things would have been great if they at least kept MoS on track but WB blew it.

eslay03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Generally speaking, the common person just follows the crowd. Currently it’s “cool” to love the MCU films and in turn dislike the DCEU films even if they all may not be bad films.

I personally think the DCEU just started off on the wrong foot, and because of that it’s been hard to recover.

The MCU began with one of the best CBM ever in Iron Man, and because of that solid foundation it was significantly easier for them to continue, even with movies like The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2 following. Sure Man of Steel wasn’t a bad start to the franchise but it wasn’t a strong enough foundation to support the failures of Suicide Squad and Batman vs Superman. It also didn’t help that when the DCEU began, the MCU was hitting its stride and was beginning to become a global hit.

Recently the DCEU has began making solid films consistently with the likes of Wonder Woman, Shazam!, and Aquaman, and while these films have had a generally good reception, the DCEU as a whole is still considered a failure to the common person. I think this I mostly due to the rough first few movies and the shadow of the MCU. I do however, think that is slowly beginning to turn around.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a few good movies and a few bad movies in the DCEU. That's your answer.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly my main complaint is the rushed things instead of slowly building up to Justice League. Suicide Squad might have been better if we saw the various villains be captured so there was some actual investment into the cast.

Van-Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people are sheep. JL & SSQUAD are pretty bad though.

I love you but this ain't it.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: it’s how I feel. You disagree, it’s fine.

The problem is you're not treating others with the same regard. It's hypocritical of you to:

1. Expect others to respect your opinion when you're calling others who disagree with you "sheep."
  2. Call people who disagree with you "sheep" and then say "if you disagree with me, that's fine."
Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not really hated at this point. It's starting to gain some leverage

OG_Guts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By OG_Guts

Because the DCEU is shit and failed on several aspects:

solid foundation, continuity, tone, keeping the core elements of the character. That one is hypocritical because Marvel has changed characters too e.g. GoTg, Thanos, Ragnarok Thor, but their takes are equally as beloved or seen as an improvement, the same can't be said for DC:

Miserable jesus Superman who snaps necks

Xenophobic punisher esque Batman

Riddler Lex with weird ticks

Those were polarising takes, whereas people like Wonder Woman and Shazam.

DC should have stuck with what sells and kickstarted off the universe with Batman. Banking on their mary sue was a mistake. They can still course correct if they choose to soft reboot following The Batman, we'll have to see.

Odimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's deeper and more nuanced than formulaic MCU movies meant for children, which makes it a little harder to understand, and people don't like what they don't understand. The concepts are more mature, the tone is darker, and characters actually have consequences to decisions they make. There also isn't as much slapstick comedy involved like the MCU.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sigh, are people really still trying the whole “oh people just don’t like dark stuff hue hue hue” reason as if it’s actually valid?

Anyways, the reason at this point really isn’t hard to see, and besides, at this point, people are either indifferent to it or somewhat enjoy it

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really grinds my gears that people try to pass it off as the DCEU not being “faithful” to the source material and yet don’t apply that logic to the MCU.

The MCU ignores or changes the source material as much as the DCEU as did the Nolan trilogy.

It’s lowkey the sheep mentality, the fact that Marvel is on 🔥 and was first, people have no basis for the Marvel Universe pre MCU whereas people know who Superman and Batman are and what THEY want the character to be, also the Snyder hate train.

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problems:

1. Superman acts like being a hero is a burden he doesn’t really even want to do.

2. Jon Kent was horrible.

3. People don’t like the rewrite of the Superman origin.

4. The end of man of steel was straight out stupid. They did it for the sole reason to show that Superman will kill if he needs to. However there was no reason for him to kill Zod at all. Should have had a better reason.

5. Batman with machine guns and explosives, killing dozens of people at the drop of a hat.

6. No reporter, investigator, or person with common sense would think Superman killed the people in the desert.

7. Lex. Literally every single thing about him was absolute poison on the screen.

8. Lex’s plan, to stop a reasonable and human like alien he saw as a threat but could talk to and manipulate, was to create a much more powerful, chaotic, raging monster of destruction that he KNEW was going to be a monster. What was he planning to do if it did kill Superman?

It was horrid writing to just put doomsday in the movie any way they could.

9. Martha

10. Wonder Woman looked way too much like Sucker Punch fight scenes.

11. JL fight scenes were the same way.

12. Don’t introduce characters in a team up movie and then go do origin movies later.

13. Steppenwolf was lame.

14. Ezra Miller is a horrible Barry.

15. Justice League was like watching a power rangers episode. Bunch of useless plot points and bad guys are winning, until the pullout their main weapon everyone knows is coming and then essentially one shots the villain like a punk.

16. Snyder and Whedon are extremely different styled directors and having them work on the same movie was stupid.

17. In Shazam they should have switched the two main teen actors.

18. Just about all of Suicide Squad. Horrible acting from the villains, plot that makes little sense, Editing and chopping it to pieces to turn it from an abusive joker to an obsessive one.

19. Birds of Prey sucked completely.

20. Kristen Wigg as a villain... think about that.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it sucks

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

People remember failure more than success. DCEU started off very divisive with MOS and BvS/Suicide Squad certainly didn't help matters.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They just don't think the movies are good I guess

Jesten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they lost heart and are trying to be more like Marvel movies now

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I’m disappointed that you haven’t even bothered to ask me why that’s my opinion.

You mean kind of like how you've generalised the people who don't like the DCEU and assumed you know the only reason they don't like it is because they're sheep?

You're literally disappointed in the same thing you're doing, mate.

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No people are not sheep. BVS, Justice League, Suicide Squad, Aquaman, Man of Steel, how many bad movies does the DCEU need to churn out before you consider it fair to dislike the rushed mess?

And who honestly hates it at this point? Everyone I know hates the first three movies and has ones they think aren't very good but then say "but Wonder Woman was great". Nobody hates the universe, but when you're consistently bad in the beginning, you need constant wins for a while before trust is restored. It's like feats, prove that Wonder Woman and Shazam aren't outliers and people will become bigger supporters.

And for the record, the MCU has not made a bad movie. Not as good as the rest? Sure. Less satisfying than the last? Yes.

Bad? No. Suicide Squad and Justice League are far worse than any MCU movie has been.

And not I don't care, but OP brought up the MCU. Insinuating that people who don't like that horrendous superman film are Snyder haters or MCU fanboys is ignorant as all people who went into that theater in 2013 WANTED a great Superman film, but got that mess.

All of This!!

Its all about consistency. When I watch the MCU, I know I can expect that I will be given a product that will be in pocket 9/10 times. Its gonna be good...Sometimes they give me GREAT and they may give me a stinker every blue moon, but most movies are gonna be in the 4 out 5 stars, 8 out of 10 range. Super consistent. Arguably the most consistent film franchise in history. Is the MCU formulaic? Yes, but guess what, the formula works and people like it, otherwise they would not go see these movies. I mean seriously, the MCU has what, 23 films, and like 3 are what you could say not that good. 3, out of 23. TWENTY THREE!!!

• Iron Man 2
  • Incredible Hulk
  • Thor the Dark World

That is insane. And the thing is, the MCU got BETTER as it went along. Iron Man 2 and Incredible Hulk are both phase 1 movies. So 2 out the 3 bad movies happened in phase 1. That means 1 out of the next 17 films were considered 7/10 or better. CONSISTENCY.

With the DCEU, I have no idea what Im getting from movie to movie and that is very frustrating. Its either a great (Wonder Woman) or terrible. With the DCEU, half their movies are just not good:

• Batman v Superman
  • Suicide Squad
  • Justice League
  • Birds of Prey

8 Total films and 4 are well below average. Thats not good.

So when people say they dont like the DECU, what they are REALLY saying is, the DCEU is an inconsistent product

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ninetoadclown: well the turned lupin evil.lets see because if patty Jenkins is good at something,it's wonder woman

Avatar image for deactivated-5f07824e0850d
deactivated-5f07824e0850d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it was rushed.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it really comes down to two things; 1) Zack Snyder, be it with personal issues or disagreements with him, or just not liking his vision of the characters/world since the whole thing ultimately originated with what he created 2) The studio, the movies at the beginning were rushed to make a quick buck and capitalize on the current cbm trend/status-quo, and as a result were unnecessarily interfered with causing poorly constructed films.

You can go film-by-film and breakdown the good and the bad and all, but imo these are the two main culprits in why the DCEU as we know it hasn’t been received as positively, or at least as positively as it should have been

Avatar image for deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9
deactivated-5ede7a8106dc9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It felt rushed.

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@rawsos said:

I know they made some bad movies but hasn't every franchise? Marvel has made some pretty bad movies but people are okay with that. I think its either snyder haters, Marvel fanboys, or the fact that DC tried to copy avengers, but it isnt all that bad. MoS isn't (wasn't) the abomination people say it to be

Well the MCU started out very strongly with Iron Man and Captain America, while the DCU started out very weakly with Superman, Batman vs Superman, Suicide Squad.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the DCEU. I just don’t like half of the movies that make it up. I loved Wonder Woman, really liked Shazam, mostly liked Aquaman, liked the characters of Suicide Squad. Man of Steel did not appeal to my appreciation for the Superman character, I did not care at all for Dawn of Justice or Birds of Prey. Justice League had a lot of problems I am not confident will be corrected in the mythical Snyder Cut. We’ll see next year. If I didn’t like the DCEU I wouldn’t be looking forward to WW84, Black Adam and whatever else follows. I don’t have to like everything in a franchise to like the franchise as a whole. I love Star Wars, but have no use for the prequels or The Last Jedi. I completely agree that Rise of Skywalker was fan service trash, but similar to JL, I had a good enough time with it.

Andrelf7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think people hate it, actually. Well, some do...but it's probably a minority.

And people think they hate the DCEU because it's movies are harder to understand than MCU...seriously? Now you need a philosophy degree to keep up with DCEU?

Most people i know liked Aquaman and Wonder Woman (i liked both). They both did pretty good in the box office and WW 1984 probably will to. Doesn't sound like something people hate. Their problem was the beggining.

It's not very hard IMO...we just try to overthink it. Noone was in love with Marvel around the time of the Hulk films...it didn't really matter if there was a Marvel label there.

But the shared universe idea was great, they hit a home run with Iron Man (and RDJ), did decent jobs with Cap 1 and Thor 1 e did a nice build up to the first Avengers film. It worked pretty well and from that point on, people were already invested. They cared about those characters.

DCEU had the "bad luck" of starting of after Marvel in the shared universe. In that moment people had high expectations, considering Marvel did it without Spiderman, Wolverine. Can you imagine what DC can do with Superman and Batman? And then they didn't start off very strong.

MoS had mixed reactions, BvS had a lot of problems and they decided to kill Superman way before a connection was made between character and fans. And Justice League and SS weren't great either. The death of Superman should have been an event. From there, DC would have to achieve consistently good movies in a row to get the viewers confidence back up...they are doing it, but it takes time.

At the end, i really don't think people hate it. It's just that Marvel has gained more of there attention and expectations with their record. DC failed Batman and Superman and Marvel found a way around the fact that they couldn't even use their most famous characters (Spidey and Logan) and achieved success with character a lot of people had never heard before. I mean, if you had asked me about a movie using a raccoon and a talking tree, i would never guess how big it would be.

Planning helps a lot. You can be one of those people that always blames the others for your failures, or you can actually try to understand the audience and how to adapt your product for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's boring and not funny always too dark.