Why doesn't anyone bring up this MCU Thor feat ?

• 70 results
Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Saberscar223

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because MCU thor is weak

Hemehero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's an awesome feat so yea idk why

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That gets brought up all time from what I've seen in various threads involving MCU Thor. Hell, I've even used/mentioned it myself in conversations. More often than not it gets pooh-pooh'd on because it's just....ice....?. You can see it talked about and debated in most of the "It's time to Lowball MCU Thor" threads lol.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish it was a strike instead of lightning.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223: Why bother. They're just gonna say it's weak or your wanking.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He does hit the ground with his hammer there.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By renamed040924

@jayc1324 said:
@nickzambuto said:

He does hit the ground with his hammer there.

I mean as a feat. I wish he caused that destruction with a strike. Instead, the lightning caused that destruction. So his lightning is really powerful, but I wish his strength was instead.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By deltahuman

Eh the problem with MCU Thor isn't that he hasn't got high end feats. For the matter of fact he does. There are plenty. Like this feat in Jotunhiem where he destroys huge amounts of ice or goes through the beast. He has fought guys with power imbued by an Infinity stone. It's another fact that Makekith wasn't himself impressive. There are plenty others like the Sokovia feat. But problem with MCU Thor is his inconsistency. Never been shown to no sell high calibre gunfire or missiles at close range while a certain someone from another Studio has. To present Loki as a legitimate threat we'll have Loki pierce Thor by a dagger or to show Hulk's strength we'll use Thor as the punching bag. We'll have Tony Stark make quips on Thor and fight him on par although clearly Tony was amped and Thor weakened. We'll make Thor get bruises and cuts from punches because why not.

Now compare this to a certain someone from the rival studio. He's presented as a legitimate powerhouse capable to wiping out the entire human race. He no sells guns missiles and what not. Destroys mountains, doesn't die in a nuke blast point blank and is hurt or overpowered only by beings stronger or through plot device like a certain xenomineral.

Imagine how great it would have been in the Avengers movie when the nuke was being launched and instead of Stark it was Thor who would take the nuke to space and detonate it there, survive it and return to earth and say, Fear not my friends, I am Mighty

The closest Thor has been to being portrayed as a legitimate powerhouse is the First Thor movie. Yeah I know it was a mediocre film with short boring action sequences but at least whenever Thor was on screen with his powers, he was unstoppable. If y'all remember, Loki even went as far as to say that Thor could've slaughtered every Forst Giant in their Jotunheim encounter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deltahuman: They nerf Thor because they don't want him to be an actual god, and they want the other Avengers to seem useful. Sadly.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deltahuman

@jayc1324: Don't worry. MCU has got its God in Russo force Cap.

"When Captain America throws his mighty shield,

All those who choose to oppose his shield must yield.

If he's led to a fight and a duel is due,

Then the red and the white and the blue'll come through.

When Captain America throws his mighty shield.........!!! "

Do you not know this prayer..? this hymn of praise for his holiness, the pinnacle of mortal perfection, the almighty Captn Murica.

Someone might as well troll everybody here by making a thread titled " Is Captain America an invincible God in the MCU "?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d29c479f1ca
deactivated-59d29c479f1ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MCU Thor has many impressive heavy attacks than most of the heroes but they are quite impossible to use in combat.

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deltahuman:

@jayc1324:Don't worry. MCU has got its God in Russo force Cap."When Captain America throws his mighty shield,All those who choose to oppose his shield must yield.If he's led to a fight and a duel is due,Then the red and the white and the blue'll come through.When Captain America throws his mighty shield.........!!! "Do you not know this prayer..? this hymn of praise for his holiness, thepinnacle of mortal perfection, the almighty Captn Murica.Someone might as well troll everybody here by making a thread titled" Is Captain America an invincible God in the MCU "?

This this this.

and I don't really remember but I think I have heard it somewhere.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deltahuman

@touma: It's your conscience mate. Get inside an empty room. Close your eyes and meditate deeply. You'll be surprised to find that your conscience has been yelling this to you since the birth of the MCU. That's why it sounds familiar

touma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deltahuman:

@touma:It's your conscience mate. Get inside an empty room. Close your eyes and meditate deeply. You'll be surprised to find that your conscience has been yelling this to you since the birth of the MCU. That's why it sounds familiar

dude are you a messenger of God who has come here to enlighten us and give us salvation ?

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because MCU Thor is street level and this feat doesn't suit that narrative.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d29c479f1ca
deactivated-59d29c479f1ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@touma said:

@deltahuman:

@jayc1324:Don't worry. MCU has got its God in Russo force Cap."When Captain America throws his mighty shield,All those who choose to oppose his shield must yield.If he's led to a fight and a duel is due,Then the red and the white and the blue'll come through.When Captain America throws his mighty shield.........!!! "Do you not know this prayer..? this hymn of praise for his holiness, thepinnacle of mortal perfection, the almighty Captn Murica.Someone might as well troll everybody here by making a thread titled" Is Captain America an invincible God in the MCU "?

This this this.

and I don't really remember but I think I have heard it somewhere.

Loading Video...

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it took ages to accomplish and would be pointless against the people he's put against.

Except it didn't take ages. Thor lifted his hammer, caught the lightning, and smacked the ground. That was it. Other than that he just stood there grinning as the giants closed in.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because of the amount of context surrounding it, its not exactly a striking feat

High_Noon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's too busy city Planet busting to worry about lesser feats.

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like to lowball that is why. It isn't a striking feat, but it is a destructive power feat aka AOE. One full powered lighting bolt can do that. Imagine what Sokovia was feeling with tens to hundreds of those charged up in mjolnir. Even with the unsupported land, it would still take a heck of a lot of energy to topple it all like that.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26 JediXMan  Moderator

People bring it up all the time.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: he was spinning his hammer for ages to gain that momentum.

But it wasn't the hammer that did the damage, it was the lightning. He didn't have to build momentum in the Avengers when he shot lightning at the Leviathans.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: but even the lightning he summoned in Avengers didn't come to him straight away though.

Some did, others didn't, the bigger bolts took a while but that was because the storm had to build, it had nothing to do with Mjolnir's momentum when Thor swung it.

Loading Video...

Clip starts at the important bit. This one didn't take long, the one at the start did but it was much larger. And that didn't take long because Thor had to build momentum with his hammer it was because the storm had to build.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By GXrevs06

Because it's not relevant in the context of a fight. Superman can fly, so that attack would do nothing.

Yh, I brought Supes into this. Fight me

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It gets used a lot... and it gets blown out of proportions a lot.

Avatar image for dextersinister1
Dextersinister1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Dextersinister1

As has been said many times already it gets used all the time.

The biggest problem with it though is that it's used on an ice sheet and in cinema land/TV world when you crack an ice sheet they often have the affect shown where they crumble. The straw that broke the camels back if you will.

Here is an example taken to it's absurd extreme, now the squirrel doesn't have continent breaking strength, there was simply a ripple effect. In short, it's very hard to quantify.

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am still confused why people are saying this isn't a striking feat. He hit the ground with his hammer to cause all of that. How isn't that a striking feat? Yes he used lightning but the destruction still came from his strike. And lightning travels 220,000 miles per hour so it isn't like it takes long to charge up.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

I am still confused why people are saying this isn't a striking feat. He hit the ground with his hammer to cause all of that. How isn't that a striking feat? Yes he used lightning but the destruction still came from his strike. And lightning travels 220,000 miles per hour so it isn't like it takes long to charge up.

It seems pretty clear to me that the shockwave wasn't created until the lightning struck. Thor placed his hammer to the ground, and at least a full second passed of him settled in that position before any destruction.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

It seems pretty clear to me that the shockwave wasn't created until the lightning struck. Thor placed his hammer to the ground, and at least a full second passed of him settled in that position before any destruction.

That just isn't what happened. It is clear as day, Thor raises his hammer to the sky, lightning is drawn to it, then he slams his hammer on the ground. He does stuff like this all the time. He did it to a Leviathan too. It is a lightning charged hammer strike. The lightning came with his hammer, they aren't two separate attacks.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see this gif posted a lot.

TBH not that impressive. The shockwave he caused from the lighting was pretty small. (the radius of the blast)

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ChildoftheAtom

Lol comic fans almost never understand there is such a thing as overpowering a character. Thor is without a doubt the most powerful and this high end feat is awesome but they knew not to set him up as being able to stroll through literally anything without risk to himself because it would create continuity errors later on. I think they have been treating Thor very well so far besides needing to buff up maleketh to really push Thor to go above and beyond

Avatar image for almightyamortal
AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

@jayc1324 said:
@nickzambuto said:
@jayc1324 said:

That just isn't what happened. It is clear as day, Thor raises his hammer to the sky, lightning is drawn to it, then he slams his hammer on the ground. He does stuff like this all the time. He did it to a Leviathan too. It is a lightning charged hammer strike. The lightning came with his hammer, they aren't two separate attacks.

The thing is that the feat is not.... exactly a striking feat. While his strength is great, it seemed like it was the lightning that caused the ripple effect, and that in turn, changed the icy landscape of Jotunheim. Thor did not simply hit the ground and cause it to crumble. The lightning spread, starting the ripple effect, and caused sufficient damage so that the glacial grounds collapsed, due to it being structurally weak.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@childoftheatom: This feat isnt even that impressive. The radius of destruction is very small and from then on, its a chain reaction. His most impressive feat is the leviathan one

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a
deactivated-5ed476aa4e89a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:
@nickzambuto said:
@jayc1324 said:

The thing is that the feat is not.... exactly a striking feat. While his strength is great, it seemed like it was the lightning that caused the ripple effect, and that in turn, changed the icy landscape of Jotunheim. Thor did not simply hit the ground and cause it to crumble. The lightning spread, starting the ripple effect, and caused sufficient damage so that the glacial grounds collapsed, due to it being structurally weak.

Loading Video...

I guess that makes sense. Thor can just use lightning powered strikes to create shockwaves though, like he did with Malekith in this video, so that is why I feel like the Jotunheim feat is a striking feat. But the way it is shown I can see how the lightning can look like it is doing a lot of the work.

Avatar image for almightyamortal
AlmightyAmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By AlmightyAmortal

@jayc1324 said:
@almightyamortal said:
@jayc1324 said:
@nickzambuto said:
@jayc1324 said:

Loading Video...

I guess that makes sense. Thor can just use lightning powered strikes to create shockwaves though, like he did with Malekith in this video, so that is why I feel like the Jotunheim feat is a striking feat. But the way it is shown I can see how the lightning can look like it is doing a lot of the work.

I would not say that he used lightning to create shock waves. Some of Thor's strikes are powerful enough to generate shock waves independently from lightning... but it seemed to me as if the lightning does most of the damage. The video you posted seemed to show that the lightning from mjolnir traveled through Malekith and into, as well as along, the ground causing it to crack further than it would have if Thor had not channeled lightning through mjonlir.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

rajjarsalt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering how far that shockwave went, it is a confirmed multi-city block level feat.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff45903d43d7
deactivated-5ff45903d43d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People like to downplay. This feat is very good.