Why does Suicide Squad get far more hate than Ant-Man?

• 102 results
Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I pretty much want to discuss what is said in the title, why did Suicide Squad get bombarded with hate while Ant-Man and Thor: The Dark World (just to name a few) got a free pass?

I mean, I understand the reasons for people not liking it, hell, I didn't even like it much myself, it had lots of cheesy dialogue and moments, and pretty forgetable plot and action. However, the movie Ant-Man has got the exact same flaws that Suicide Squad did, much worse actually and it somehow gets a 7.3 on IMDB. Same thing goes for Thor: The Dark World, it's undeniably bad and yet it still has a 7.0 grade on IMDB. Suicide Squad on the other hand gets a 6.2 rating as of now.

How can anyone tell me this isn't bias?! It's undeniable!

And please, don't say stuff like "It's matter of opinions", that doesn't matter. It's a straight up fact that if we analyse both movies from a technical standpoint (and it is possible to analyse movies objectively without caring about opinions) they are both flawed, yet only one of them gets to take the hate. Regardless of opinions, this statistically proves that there is indeed bias by the critics and some of the audience towards giving negative feedback to DC movies and positiv feedback to MCU movies.

And now, as I said, if you're planning to comment with some generic line like "They're called opinions" just don't bother. I'm talking about objective facts that statistically prove people are biased, challenge that!

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Ant Man isn't a great film and neither is Thor: Dark World.

I'm not really the right guy to give a technical view on any film, I tend not to think that much into them unless the movie requires it of me (I'm looking at you, Enemy).

What I can tell you, is that whilst all 3 of them are technically flawed films, I found Ant Man and Thor more enjoyable to watch. They felt like more fun than SS. Aside from Deadshot and Cpt. Boomerang, none of the performances really grabbed me and it was a chore to watch the scenes without those guys play out, IMO.

I really like Paul Rudd as an actor and the concept of Ant Man is entertaining. Likewise, after a few movies, I am kind of attached to Hemsworth's Thor and Idris Elba is always a joy to watch. The action scenes were more colourful in the Marvel films (IMO) and again, felt like more fun.

Aside from that, I couldn't tell you. SS felt more like a chore I had to get through so I could enjoy the rest of the DCEU. Whilst I'm in no rush to watch the Marvel films again, it wasn't as bad to watch them 1st time round.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#3  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

There was far more hype for Suicide Squad so when whereas people doubted the Ant Man movie from the beginning.

Ant Man is fun when you turn your brain off whereas Suicide Squad is just boring Hot Topic schlock either way

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Because Suicide Squad is an awful movie. Ant-Man is very mediocre, but at least it's competent. There's no bias there.

I do believe there is somewhat of a bias towards MCU movies, though. Like how that garbage Iron Man 2 has a fresh rating on RT. It also still boggles my mind how Doctor Strange has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. It wasn't even that good.

Also, don't go by IMDB. That's all fan voting.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5 darthjhawk  Moderator

From my perspective it's the Marvel formula vs the DCEU arguably rushing to get GOTG/Avengers feel with Suicide Squad. People were already used to the comedic and ease of access that Ant-Man and Thor:TDW, give.

On the other hand it felt like, Suicide Squad seemed sort of choppy and didn't know if it wanted to be more serious or dramatic. Another factor I noticed was that the film mostly relied on the star power draw of Will Smith, Margot Robbie, and Viola Davis and less of building a cohesive story/ group akin to GOTG.

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

A lot of people really liked Ant-man.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

Seriously? Enough with these allegations about bias.

Wonder Woman just came out and it got praise. Deservedly so because it is spectacular. For all of Ant-Man's mediocrity, Suicide Squad is incompetent in it's villains, characters, emotion, action, cinematography, micro editing, structure, story, macro editing, music and even some of the performances. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a dry potato.

Also, after rewatching some scenes, even Harley Quinn and Deadshot aren't good. They're just the only bearable aspect of a defective product.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ahahahahahaha

Because ant-man was a good entertainment and SS was just a terrible, sloppy, rushed movie.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

I don't even want to think about Suicide Squad after seeing Wonder Woman. What a terrible movie Suicide Squad was. The best aspect of it is just turning it on and watching it descend into madness (not to say it wasn't terrible from the get-go).

TwotoneZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found Ant-Man to be an enjoyable movie, was it a great movie not by a long shot. But it was decent heist flick with super heroes. There was at least a cohesive story and character development. Where as Suicide Squad didn't have a cohesive story, it felt rushed to introduce all the characters in the first 10 minutes which lead me to not caring anything about them. I have tried to re-watch SS several times I just can't bring myself to finish the movie I get bored and turn it off, where as with Ant-Man if I just want to shut my mind off for a few hours and enjoy a film I can watch that again and still be entertained.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant-Man is a competently put together film. Suicide Squad is all over the place. It doesn't know if it wants to be a music video or a somekind of a horror film or a superhero film or a crime movie *smh* There certains things I do like about Suicide Squad and it's fun and all, but over all it's just a poorly put together movie. I refuse to believe what we got in the theater is the film David Ayer originally put together. Perhaps one day when Warners gets their head out of their a$$e$ we'll get a Directors Cut with all of Jokers scene, and movie that doesn't play like an actually music video....So while Ant-Man plays out with the usual MCU vanilla forumla, it still works as a well constructed film, while Suicide Squad is a mess.

MrAugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Editing mainly. Suicide Squad has some of the worst editing I've seen in a major studio release. Once I learned the behind the scenes issues and how there are multiple versions with multiple companies editing it made sense.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By uugieboogie

Seriously? Enough with these allegations about bias.

Wonder Woman just came out and it got praise. Deservedly so because it is spectacular. For all of Ant-Man's mediocrity, Suicide Squad is incompetent in it's villains, characters, emotion, action, cinematography, micro editing, structure, story, macro editing, music and even some of the performances. Joel Kinnaman has the charisma of a dry potato.

Also, after rewatching some scenes, even Harley Quinn and Deadshot aren't good. They're just the only bearable aspect of a defective product.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buttersdaman000

Because Suicide Squad is an awful movie. Ant-Man is very mediocre, but at least it's competent. There's no bias there.

I do believe there is somewhat of a bias towards MCU movies, though. Like how that garbage Iron Man 2 has a fresh rating on RT. It also still boggles my mind how Doctor Strange has a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. It wasn't even that good.

Also, don't go by IMDB. That's all fan voting.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By helloman

It's probably because it was more hyped, and IMO it was way less enjoyable to watch than either Thor: DW or Ant-Man. I tried to look at the movie in a positive light. But looking back, it just failed in my opinion. Can't say the same for the other two movies.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ya'll still tryna call bias after Wonder Woman is getting well deserved praise for being a great film. The marvel bias argument has no leg to stand on anymore it's clear that people just didn't like the other films and they obviously weren't good enough to get the good reviews, it's not because critics are paid or biased to review marvel better. For all of marvels shortcomings all their films are still well put together and appeal to everyone which is why they get generally good reviews.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In spite of similar problems, I think it is because Suicide Squad suffers a lot more clearly from "too many cooks in the kitchen". There were so many changes and edits made to the movie by the studio, some last minute, that really hit its pacing and tone. Thor 2 and Ant Man do have their problems but they at least feel consistent throughout in quality and tone.

Both Thor 2 and Ant Man also had the advantage of being solo-hero movies while Suicide Squad was a team movie. Thor's movie only had to focus on him and his main cast, so there was a lot more worthwhile development (the stuff between him and Loki and the rest of their family were easily the best parts of the movie). Same with Ant Man. But Suicide Squad had a lot of characters in the spotlight, most of whom actually had nothing to do with the big threat other than being brought in to fight it. There's not a lot of time for character motivation and development when you have to split it between an entire squad of people.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is easy. Flawed as it was, Ant-Man was still at least enjoyable for many folks (Myself included). And I think, THAT'S ALL THEY WRE GOING FOR. Mission accomplished, so to speak. About the "Marvel Bias"..I don't know, but to me, there was never "Marvel bias" because BvS and SS got bad ratings, but I do wonder how IM2, IM3, and AoU got good ones. BTW, I checked RT and apparently they've changed how they rate what is a good/bad review. (See their "50 greatest hero movies of all time" bit.) For example, Watchmen's adjusted score goes from a 65 to a 74. TDW, goes from 66 to 75 and so on. As it takes only a score of 60 to be "fresh" I wonder if MoS, which was at 55 under the old system, would break into Fresh territory now? Say maybe a 62 or so?

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of the main reasons it could be ranked higher is because as much as people complain about Marvel movie characters being nerfed and inconsistent all the characters and action feel real. No one is saying that ant-man or Thor 2 were spectacular but they were far more fun and they felt much more believable then some human criminals fighting enchantress who was an even worse villain then Yellow Jacket or Malekith. Suicide squad was just abysmal

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant Man is better than Suicide Squad IMO, but I agree, Suicide Squad is definitely above Thor: Dark World. There's definitely some bias regarding MCU and DCEU.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: One of the most vital, but underappreciated and also misunderstood aspects to any compelling story, is tone. Setting a consistent tone and atmosphere is absolutely necessary before any audience gets dragged into a fictional world. Ant-Man had a tone. That made the story interesting. Suicide Squad had conflicting tones from scene to scene, which made the film too unpredictable to be interesting.

Bastets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, Ant-man was a great film. Something that caught most MCU fans and newer MCU fans by surprise. As for suicide squad...... The movie was good in certain aspects, however it lacked in some areas that caused it to be the downfall overall for the movie.

The villains were okay..... I felt they should of either gave the S-squad a villain around their tier and not drop the ball with enchantress. Because in all seriousness she should of lolstomped the S-squad by just powers alone. Additionally the slow-mo in that was horrible choice as well.

Some of the characters needed to be shown more. I feel Captain B-rang had no depth to his character, same with Katara, and killer croc. I know they had great scenes, but overall the main focus was Rick, Deadshot, and HC.

Show casing deadshot, show casing deadshot's seen was cool in all, but his targets that he was shooting at.... was kinda lame. I was hoping for more like moving or swinging targets or pop up targets and so on. Overall should of really showcased some of his feats rather than just shooting the same four targets over and over again.

These are a few of my concerns about the movie, that they didn't really go above and beyond, there are still more issues, yet they just gave us an okay movie. Tbh SS was better than other DC movies though or so I personally felt.

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Antman at its best is bland but Suicide Squad apart from Harley and the scenes with the Joker was just bad at points.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@ouroborik: It's simple, more people have seen Suicid Squad than Thor or Ant-Man. Much was awaited for Suicid Squad and it was a big deception.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I feel alot of bandwagon hate comes with SS. People parrot what they hear critics say.

Having said that, it is pretty bad.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Spambot

I honestly think of Antman as a top 7 mcu movie(better than GotG2). I think a lot of the humor in it worked and I thought the overall dynamic between Michael Douglas and Paul Rudd worked well too. What's her name was also pretty good in it imo. Overall it was a well paced movie with a good enough plot. SS was just a horrendous mess and Thor Dark World gets plenty of hate so idk how anyone could say it gets a free pass.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ant-Man is good and Suicide Squad isn't?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Lol Antman isnt even bad, id rate it above Ironman 3.....either of the Thors.....Dr Strange.....and probably half the MCU honestly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967bf6197d40
deactivated-5967bf6197d40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because one is a terrible film while the other isn't?

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: The average person doesn't care about someone being nerfed

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ant Man and Thor TDW were both decent movies whereas Suicide Squad was horrible?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ant-Man was actually really good, and so was Suicide Squad. Thor: The Dark World, on the other hand, is one of the worst comic book movies I've ever seen.

AirDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 162

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By AirDave

I'm a DC fan, and I think I'm a little more critical of the DC films. I haven't read a Marvel comic since Secret Wars. Michael Douglas as Hank Pym makes sense. I'm not familiar with Scott Lang, but Paul Rudd rocks as Ant-Man. All of the Marvel films have been fun. I have not seen Suicide Squad, because I've been disappointed by the DC films. I respect Nolan's trilogy, but I'm hoping Batffleck channels Kevin Conroy. For my mileage, Green Lantern was ten pounds of movie in a five pound bag. The Man of Steel was much more angsty than it needed to be. Batman V Superman was just more of Green Lantern. It was two-and-a-half movies in one. I think I want Henry Cavill to wear Christopher Reeve's suit. I think I want every Superman to do that. I want the DC films to be fun and light-hearted as the Marvel films. I wanna see JLA: Liberty and Justice adapted!

What if Batffleck said "Schwarma"? ;)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Hating the DCU is the cool thing to do. They try to add some depth and feeling into their stories and the hardcore Marvel people can't handle. Personally, I loved Ant-Man even though it was the same plot as Iron Man and Hulk. It was fun and who doesn't love Paul Rudd.

Squad was good. BvS was good. I'm sure WW will be too. Thor 2 deserves all the hate these movies get. Not only was it boring garbage. It was PREDICTABLE boring garbage. That's the worse kind.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's because Suicide Squad was such a shit movie. If you honestly think that movies like Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man 3, or maybe Ant-Man get a free pass, then where have you been? Ant-Man is not even a bad movie and there is no way that it is worse in any way than Suicide Squad. It doesn't have the same flaws. Yes, it follows the Marvel formula and can be bland. But it got the job done at the very least. I'd rather watch Thor 2 and Iron Man 3 than Suicide Squad anyday of the week. These movies may be terrible, but at least they are better films overall than Suicide Squad. If you can't see how SS is such garbage, then I don't know what to tell you. The hate is justified.

theCrazyBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cuz ant Man was fun to watch, SS was not.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Ant-Man was decent. Suicide Squad was unwatchable.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Ant-Man isn't a pile of hot garbage

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I swear the first page of the Gen forum is filled with DCEU movies vs MCU movies. Dammit people

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Yassassin

SS was bad on a fundamental level of film making. It legit felt like everyone bts first film out of school. Any movie that introduces a character like this.

Loading Video...

Just ain't a good one. Like, holy shit, why was Katana in this film? Also Douglas's Pym was a treat.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RukelnikovFTW  Online

Ant Man is a funny and entertaining movie to watch, and AFAIR not facepalm inducing. Also, it has Luis.

T:TDW is proably the worst movie from the MCU, its biggest flaw being that it's boring and the action was underwhelming to say the least. However, it more or less made sense, had a couple fun scenes, mostly Loki's, and more importantly it didn't feel forced in any way.

SS tries to introduce a lot of characters in very little time, but fails to make the general public care for most of the cast, and that is it biggest and non reconcilable flaw. The team were also advertised as "the bad guys" and they weren't even a ragtag band of misfits, hell, they even brought stealing a purse from a deserted, wrecked shop to the spotlight. Also, Joker, whether it was a good or bad Joker, we can all agree there was far too little of him, and we expected more.

Well, there are a multitude more reasons, but i wanna go back to Andromeda.

tl;dr: SS failed to make ppl care for the cast.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Jgames

Bc movie are god damn subjective, something stupid to you might not come across the same. There no secret formula to a good movie. Is the same reason why someone can say GOTG 2 is terrible while I can said I had alot of fun. I like both film, but SS does have tons of flaw while Ant Man only real flaw is that is Iron Man but with Ant Man. Just accept that the only opinion that matters is yours when it comes to enjoyment

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because suicide squad is a pile of shit and Ant Man isn't.

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm?? I liked Ant-Man. Wished that it was Hank Pym as the hero (well, he was but now he was retired lol). Scott Lang is still cool too.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#46 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

@tvc-15: After watching that clip, I will never watch this movie.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, I really liked Ant-Man.

Anyway, Suicide Squad is so shit, I smell shit every time I mention or think of the film.

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yassassin

@tvc-15: After watching that clip, I will never watch this movie.

Then I've done my good deed for the day.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because SS had a good line up of actors and a lot of hype Ant Man had..... Paul Rudd

Avatar image for rudebomberboy01
RudeBomberBoy01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People still complaining about this 'Marvel bias' need to open their eyes and stop trying to force that which does not exist.