Why does Peter Parker seem to be wayyy more sad about the death of Uncle Ben than his own parents' death?

DSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean , it fine that Uncle Ben and aunt may took him in and cared for him, but shouldn't you naturally feel more closer to your dead parents ? shouldn't you miss then more ?

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he could've prevented his death and his failure to do so was the perfect example of what could happen if he ignored the advice his uncle gave him.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rogueshadow  Moderator

Why wouldn't he be? He was raised by Ben since infancy. For all intents and purposes, Ben is his father and May his mother, he's obviously not going to feel as sad about people he can barely remember, even ignoring the fact that he feels shame over Ben's death.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#4  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Ben raised him. He also feels responsible for Bens death.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Why wouldn't he be? He was raised by Ben since infancy. For all intents and purposes, Ben is his father and May his mother, he's obviously not going to feel as sad about people he can barely remember, even ignoring the fact that he feels shame over Ben's death.

Avatar image for passingthroughv2
passingthroughv2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rogueshadow said:

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter never knew his parents. They're virtually strangers to him. It's not surprising that he loves Ben more, but the real factor that multiplied his despair by orders of magnitude was the fact that Ben's death was completely his own fault.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@captain_batman_ftw said:
@rogueshadow said:

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman needs to take some notes from Peter lol.

Still haunted by his parents death while peter has already accepted it.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That's not really comparable. Bruce saw his parents killed right in front of them. Peter was too young to remember his parents when they died and never even knew that they were murdered until several years later.

In fact both are still haunted. Bruce is still haunted by his parents' deaths because he was helpless to do anything and Peter is still haunted by his uncle's death because there was something he could have done to prevent it but didn't. That defines both of them, with Batman never letting himself be helpless ever again and Spider-Man never ignoring any who might need help.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@passingthroughv2 said:
@rogueshadow said:

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb question.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Beast_mode999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

I was talking more about uncle Ben

And I'm just saying That Ben's death did mold Peter however I wouldn't say it haunts him. Peter is still lively and still a happy go lucky personality. Batman I s always serious always stressed always Dark... because of his parents death.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Because a parent is much more then being made from them, is the fact that they take care of you, show love, and help with your journeys. Ben is more of a father then his real parents who was never with them to begin with.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aros001

@aros001:

And I'm just saying That Ben's death did mold Peter however I wouldn't say it haunts him. Peter is still lively and still a happy go lucky personality. Batman I s always serious always stressed always Dark... because of his parents death.

I suppose age could be a factor in this. Uncle Ben died when Peter was a teenager while the Waynes died when Bruce was 8, so Bruce's world was shaped by tragedy at a much younger age. Not to mention it has been stated many times before that one of the reasons Spider-Man is always wisecracking is to hide how nervous or scared he can get or at least to distract himself from his nervousness or fears. So both characters have issues and I think it's completely relative how well either has dealt with them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df
deactivated-5b9a7b52ce5df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't know his parents. If I grew up raised by two individuals who were related to me, but didn't know my parents I'd be more sad over their deaths than my biological parents.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fat_hobo389: Not really a matter of being familiar with comics, more of a asking dumb questions problem here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76
deactivated-5b9c488ed7f76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Because he could've prevented his death and his failure to do so was the perfect example of what could happen if he ignored the advice his uncle gave him.

This. But also, he knew him better.

gingerpenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb: Because it was his lack of doing something that got his Uncle killed, plus his Uncle and Aunt raised him.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay i think i got my answer . Can this thread be locked now please ?

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ArranVid

@aros001: Batman should just get over it. My mum faced a more traumatic situation than Batsy. Btw a weirdo touched my cousin when she was way younger than Bruce was (when his parents got murdered) and she's fine now and she's a happier person than Bruce. I bet if that weirdo touched Bruce when he was young, Bruce would be such a crybaby about it and say as an adult "waa waa this event has made me darker and lonelier waa waa" instead of getting over it.

DSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid: What makes you say Batman is a crybaby ? He just used the sadness over his parent's death as motivation to fight crime so that another kid doesnt lose his parents like he did.

Also you know what makes Bruce stronger ? Peter still has Aunt May , has a girlfriend and has some friends

Bruce has got NOTHING . He was alone from the day his parents died .

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@passingthroughv2 said:
@rogueshadow said:

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid said:

@aros001: Batman should just get over it. My mum faced a more traumatic situation than Batsy. Btw a weirdo touched my cousin when she was way younger than Bruce was (when his parents got murdered) and she's fine now and she's a happier person than Bruce. I bet if that weirdo touched Bruce when he was young, Bruce would be such a crybaby about it and say as an adult "waa waa this event has made me darker and lonelier waa waa" instead of getting over it.

@aros001:

You guys should read a Batman comic book first before commenting, Bruce is neither unhappy nor lonely.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb: No he doesn't have nothing, my friend! He has Alfred, tonnes of money, fame, women that want to marry him, sidekicks and so much more. He should stop acting all dark and mysterious...he says there's a reason for him to be gloomy but there isn't imo. There are comic book characters that have had it WAY worse than Bruce did when they were kids yet they're less darker.

DSB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Please enlighten me more about Bruce then. Ok he may not be unhappy but he does say often that he likes to work alone. His personality reminds me of the personalities of Vegeta, Kai, Seto Kaiba. I know the BvsS movie perhaps doesn't represent the core comics well, but as soon as Superman mentions a name that Batman's mom and Superman's mom share, Bruce gets into Mr. Angrypants mode for no reason since his mom died years ago and he should've got over it by now. Really Bruce? the name "Martha" gets you so triggered??

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb: There is a version where Mary Jane Watson also dies but Peter Parker still goes along with it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid said:

@rustyroy: Please enlighten me more about Bruce then. Ok he may not be unhappy but he does say often that he likes to work alone. His personality reminds me of the personalities of Vegeta, Kai, Seto Kaiba. I know the BvsS movie perhaps doesn't represent the core comics well, but as soon as Superman mentions a name that Batman's mom and Superman's mom share, Bruce gets into Mr. Angrypants mode for no reason since his mom died years ago and he should've got over it by now. Really Bruce? the name "Martha" gets you so triggered??

I guessed you're only knowledge of Batman was from movies, seems I was right. Now let me enlighten you, Batman probably has the most number of allies in DC such as JL, BoP, Batman Inc. and many other groups and characters, Batfamily is probably the biggest family in DC, he's part of two of the most popular duo team, Batman and Robin, Batman and Superman so yeah he's not a loner and I don't remember him saying he likes to work alone even once.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsb: 1. Wolverine (also he's less gloomier than B.Wayne is)

2. Magneto (also he's less gloomier than B.Wayne is)

3. (non-fictional) Raymond Robinson aka The Green Man

4. Guts from 'Beserk' (still is less gloomier than Batman is)

5. Jamal Malik from Slumdog Millionaire (parents are killed in front of his eyes, gangs try to use him when he's a kid etc)

6. Salim Malik from Slumdog Millionaire (parents are killed in front of his eyes, gangs try to use him when he's a kid etc)

7. Arvind from Slumdog Millionaire (a gang leader is happy with how beautifully he sings and proceeds to blind him when he's a kid so that he can earn more money as a blind singing person. Is forever blind begging on streets from then on. Was a clever and able boy before he became blind)

8. Mikasa Ackerman from Attack on Titan (not only watches her parents being killed in front of her eyes like Bruce Wayne but also murders a man herself in order to survive and she's still less gloomier than B.Wayne)

9. Eric Brothers from Fullmetal Alchemist (the brothers grow up by themselves and have to sacrifice their bodies in an attempt to save their dead mum. While Edward loses his left leg and right arm, his brother loses his entire body and from that day on his soul has to rest in a suit of armour. They're on a quest to find the Philosopher's stone to give them back their original bodies. They're less gloomier than B.Wayne)

10. Lucy from Elfen Lied (she's a human experiment and she grew up without parents and is despised by children her own age. She has a split personality. She is forced to brutally murder others in order to survive and yet she's less gloomy than B.Wayne)

I thought Disney's Tarzan had it bad as a child but after seeing part of the film again he was actually a happy baby even though his parents had died (reason is probably because he didn't realize that his parents had been killed by Sabor the leopard moments before)

Yeah a lot of these mentioned aren't comic book characters but I just put characters from different formats. If I find more I'll put it down here.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, there should be a law stopping peole whose never read Batman comics from talking about him.

ArranVid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ArranVid

@rustyroy: Well I think I remember Bruce saying that he works alone from the heavily bashed film Batman & Robin (starring George Clooney) but some other people seem to think the same as I do, they've made these images:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I have read some Batman comics (about 5 perhaps) when I was about 13 but you'll have a better knowledge than me about Batman. Thank you for enlightening me more about Batman. Yes I'm not sure whether he likes to work alone but I do remember him saying to Robin "I work alone" in the heavily criticized film. Yes I don't remember him saying that in the comics. One comic I remember did seem to portray him as a loner. The Justice League were working together but Batman went in a sewer and I think he was the only one working alone. He fought a creature there and when I saw that it was very cool, he hid in a place and then kicked the creature or something and won the fight.

You said this "Batman probably has the most number of allies in DC such as JL, BoP, Batman Inc. and many other groups and characters, Batfamily is probably the biggest family in DC, he's part of two of the most popular duo team, Batman and Robin, Batman and Superman" and I agree with you and I know you're right there.

Here are some links of people asking about why batman prefers to work alone (if he does prefer to work alone):

https://greymeter.com/forum/why-does-batman-prefer-to-work-alone

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-batman-prefer-to-work-alone

Someone from Quora even thinks that Batman is a "lone wolf". Well many people on greymeter are saying that Batman prefers to work alone and there are people also calling him a lone wolf there too.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@passingthroughv2 said:
@rogueshadow said:

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Peter never knew his parents. They're virtually strangers to him. It's not surprising that he loves Ben more, but the real factor that multiplied his despair by orders of magnitude was the fact that Ben's death was completely his own fault.

@jgames said:

Because a parent is much more then being made from them, is the fact that they take care of you, show love, and help with your journeys. Ben is more of a father then his real parents who was never with them to begin with.

These^... His Uncle and Aunt were the real MVPs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5988def3424a7
deactivated-5988def3424a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Uncle Ben was practically the father figure that Peter never had.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ben raised him. He also feels responsible for Bens death.

This.

shonuff33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By shonuff33

Peter should grow up and learn to move past the past to find his own sense of purpose.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arranvid said:

@rustyroy: Well I think I remember Bruce saying that he works alone from the heavily bashed film Batman & Robin (starring George Clooney) but some other people seem to think the same as I do, they've made these images:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I have read some Batman comics (about 5 perhaps) when I was about 13 but you'll have a better knowledge than me about Batman. Thank you for enlightening me more about Batman. Yes I'm not sure whether he likes to work alone but I do remember him saying to Robin "I work alone" in the heavily criticized film. Yes I don't remember him saying that in the comics. One comic I remember did seem to portray him as a loner. The Justice League were working together but Batman went in a sewer and I think he was the only one working alone. He fought a creature there and when I saw that it was very cool, he hid in a place and then kicked the creature or something and won the fight.

You said this "Batman probably has the most number of allies in DC such as JL, BoP, Batman Inc. and many other groups and characters, Batfamily is probably the biggest family in DC, he's part of two of the most popular duo team, Batman and Robin, Batman and Superman" and I agree with you and I know you're right there.

Here are some links of people asking about why batman prefers to work alone (if he does prefer to work alone):

https://greymeter.com/forum/why-does-batman-prefer-to-work-alone

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-batman-prefer-to-work-alone

Someone from Quora even thinks that Batman is a "lone wolf". Well many people on greymeter are saying that Batman prefers to work alone and there are people also calling him a lone wolf there too.

Batman and Robin was heavily bashed for a reason, nobody takes that movie seriously and iirc even in Batman and Robin, Batman didn't say he works alone, he said he understands now that why Superman likes to work alone. As for the comic, not all members are available all the time for League missions including Superman, Flash and WW. After Batman RIP Batman was barely alive but he still went to help the League. Don't base you're opinion only on movies otherwise you'll see memes and comments about Spider-Man where he's called a emo or crybaby all the time.

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001:

no, peter is still haunted by his uncle's death. that's why he has this 'everything is my fault' attitude. that's why he has that responsibility hangup.

GreatSpiderBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Peter never knew nick wasn't going to finish this CAV. Nick CAVs are virtually strangers to him. It's not surprising that he loves Jashro more, but the real factor that multiplied his despair by orders of magnitude was the fact that death of this CAV was completely his own fault.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/cav-spider-man-jashro44-vs-ultimate-captain-americ-1814820/#131

DeathHero61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NickoSaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He knew Ben longer than his parents

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this