Why does Hal Jordan have the "strongest" will in the universe?

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DaAwesome2

He's a test pilot, right? I'm not saying that he should have zero willpower. But I don't understand why he would have incomparable willpower.

When I think of professions that require extreme willpower just to get through the day...test pilot doesn't pop into my head. Hell, A dedicated teacher would have more willpower than a test pilot. LOL.

For all you GL heads, let me know what I'm missin', as I'm sure there is some backstory to why Hal's will is so great.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Crom-Cruach

Because he's Geoff Johns golden boy.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3  Edited By Timandm

um.. Because he eat's his veggies?

Actually, I think you'll find strong willed people in MANY different professions.. And, to be fair, it takes a great deal of will to get through college, then military training, pilot training, and then finally JET pilot training... Consider the number of teachers versus the number of Jet Pilots... LOTS and LOTS of teachers... very few jet pilots by comparison...

But I really think it has more to do with the individual and the life they've lived rather than the profession they've chosen.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By minigunman123

@Timandm said:

Actually, I think you'll find strong willed people in MANY different professions.. And, to be fair, it takes a great deal of will to get through college, then military training, pilot training, and then finally JET pilot training... Consider the number of teachers versus the number of Jet Pilots... LOTS and LOTS of teachers... very few jet pilots by comparison...

But I really think it has more to do with the individual and the life they've lived rather than the profession they've chosen.

This.

Plus, look at some businessmen who made it to the top like Larry Ellison or Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs, may he rest in peace. High achievers often have quite indomitable will.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BlackWind

@Crom-Cruach said:

Because he's Geoff Johns golden boy.

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DaAwesome2

@Timandm:

It def doesn't take alot of will to get through college. As a college grad, I can tell you that. LOL.

It takes willpower to EXCEL in your classes in college IF you go to a party school. Or if you have to juggle many different activities.

I'll give you that military bit as they should have stronger wills than the average person. Are there very few jet pilots, though? I would think you'd have much harder time finding an Astronaut than a jet pilot as I know more than a few jet pilots, personally. But I've never met an astronaut.

RedMask1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RedMask1

he doesn't, actually sodam yat by technicality has the strongest will in the universe (save for the guardians) also he hosts ion, and I may be wrong but doesn't the military involve a lot of over coming fear? making Hal Jordan a natural green lantern?

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

Because Geoff Johns wants him to.

Although, I disagree with your argument that one's willpower is defined by their profession. While some professions do require strong willed people, a strong will does not automatically mean you will end up in one of those jobs.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By evilvegeta74

He always gets the girl, just like James T. Kirk/ Captain Kirk!

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dayvid3

Is he the "main" green lantern, at least human one? I started reading more chars as the new 52 started and I was curious who the is the like the default green lantern, if there is one. I know they all seem to be no slouches. Just curious

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Timandm

@DaAwesome2 said:

@Timandm:

It def doesn't take alot of will to get through college. As a college grad, I can tell you that. LOL.

It takes willpower to EXCEL in your classes in college IF you go to a party school. Or if you have to juggle many different activities.

I'll give you that military bit as they should have stronger wills than the average person. Are there very few jet pilots, though? I would think you'd have much harder time finding an Astronaut than a jet pilot as I know more than a few jet pilots, personally. But I've never met an astronaut.

As a college professor, I have to say I see far too many students who have the ability but lack the will to do what it takes to graduate... But, it doesn't take an "extreme" amount of will, but it does take a certain amount... I see...well...GOBS of students who whine the way my children did when they were younger and I would tell them it was bed time or they had to clean their room...

Student: I really need to bring my grade up. My parents are paying for this and I have to make at least a B in this class. Is there anything I can do?

Me: Have you read the book?

Student: (make a whiny facial expression) the textbook is really dry and boring.

Me: Aren't you pre-med?

Student: Yeah, I want to be a surgeon!

Me: and you find biology dry and boring?

Student: Uh-huh... Why do you ask?

Me: Well, trust me, this stuff about DNA and Protein and cells... Medical schools are really going to want you to know this stuff.

Student: REALLY?!?! sigh... So... I HAVE to read the book?

Me: Have you considered a career as a notary public?

Student: No.. Is that really cool?

Regarding the Astronauts. It used to be that one had to become a Jet Pilot before becoming an astronaut. But now, many astronauts serve as scientists and engineers who have nothing to do with piloting or navigating... But, in either case, it takes a great deal of will power to become one... Now, as I recall, Hal Jordan wasn't just a jet pilot but specifically a 'test pilot' isn't that so? Well, there are VERY few top notch Test pilots out there. Boeing isn't going to trust an fifty million dollar experimental air craft to just any pilot. Hal would have to have been one of the best pilots in the world..

I think that speaks volumes, no?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#12  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Timandm said:

@DaAwesome2 said:

@Timandm:

As a college professor, I have to say I see far too many students who have the ability but lack the will to do what it takes to graduate... But, it doesn't take an "extreme" amount of will, but it does take a certain amount... I see...well...GOBS of students who whine the way my children did when they were younger and I would tell them it was bed time or they had to clean their room...

Student: I really need to bring my grade up. My parents are paying for this and I have to make at least a B in this class. Is there anything I can do?

Me: Have you read the book?

Student: (make a whiny facial expression) the textbook is really dry and boring.

Me: Aren't you pre-med?

Student: Yeah, I want to be a surgeon!

Me: and you find biology dry and boring?

Student: Uh-huh... Why do you ask?

Me: Well, trust me, this stuff about DNA and Protein and cells... Medical schools are really going to want you to know this stuff.

Student: REALLY?!?! sigh... So... I HAVE to read the book?

Me: Have you considered a career as a notary public?

Student: No.. Is that really cool?

Regarding the Astronauts. It used to be that one had to become a Jet Pilot before becoming an astronaut. But now, many astronauts serve as scientists and engineers who have nothing to do with piloting or navigating... But, in either case, it takes a great deal of will power to become one... Now, as I recall, Hal Jordan wasn't just a jet pilot but specifically a 'test pilot' isn't that so? Well, there are VERY few top notch Test pilots out there. Boeing isn't going to trust an fifty million dollar experimental air craft to just any pilot. Hal would have to have been one of the best pilots in the world..

I think that speaks volumes, no?

Hal was jet pilot in the air force. the test pilot stuff was very early on

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180

Cause he Ryan renolds

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DaAwesome2

@Timandm:

Then you're essentially sayin' that any one who tests aircraft for any airline has a great deal of willpower. LOL. Yeah. I'm puttin' words in your mouth. Nah..seriously...I don't know any test pilots so I will have defer to your knowledge on the matter. I do, however, assume that airlines have plenty of test pilots. Boeing, in particular, has a chief test pilot. Was Hal the Chief one? And did he work in the private or public sector? I thought he worked for the military. But I admit, I don't know all the specifics.

DaAwesome2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DaAwesome2

Ah..so it was the military. I thought I remembered Hal being on an Air Force base but I wasn't sure. Especially as DC retcons their characters every 3 years. LOL.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Dayvid3: Yeah he's the main GL

TheCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 47

#17  Edited By TheCannon

@minigunman123 said:

@Timandm said:

This.

Plus, look at some businessmen who made it to the top like Larry Ellison or Bill Gates, or Steve Jobs, may he rest in peace. High achievers often have quite indomitable will.

This.

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Timandm

@DaAwesome2 said:

@Timandm:

Then you're essentially sayin' that any one who tests aircraft for any airline has a great deal of willpower. LOL. Yeah. I'm puttin' words in your mouth. Nah..seriously...I don't know any test pilots so I will have defer to your knowledge on the matter. I do, however, assume that airlines have plenty of test pilots. Boeing, in particular, has a chief test pilot. Was Hal the Chief one? And did he work in the private or public sector? I thought he worked for the military. But I admit, I don't know all the specifics.

It's hard to say who he worked for since the story lines keep getting retconned and what not... But, didn't he, at some point, have a girl friend whose father actually owned a company that built jets?

As for " knowing "test pilots, I've actually only known one personally. He was this really kewl older guy that was my grandma's boyfriend. He was testing the latest military planes back when Hoover was president... But I have read about test pilots. Not in comics, I mean in biographies and what not... They are a cocky bunch, but then they absolutely HAVE to be... Cocky, by definition, means supremely confident, and if you're not that, then I don't want you in the cockpit of a plane that I'm not sure will fly well... We all have heard of some notorious test pilots. Brigadier General Chuck Yeager, Neil Armstrong, Howard Hughes...

But, what I'm getting at is this...

It is difficult to become a pilot...

It is even more difficult to become a jet pilot, AND the number of positions are rather scarce compared to other fields... Think on it.. How many police officers, fire fighters, teachers, computer engineers,etc. are there in the world... Now, how many jet pilots? Much much less... There's a great deal of competition.

Now, beyond that, a 'test' pilot for new jets? it's not as if one can pick up the want ads and see a bunch of listings... How many are there? In the U.S. I'd be surprised if the number went over triple digits. There aren't that many companies that manufacture jets... and when they are making new jets, they are only making a few at one time, so it's not as if they need many pilots...

You're a college graduate, right? How many pre-med students did you know in school? Did you see them freaking out near graduation because they suddenly realized how much competition there was just to GET INTO medical school? Well, there are far more doctors then there are jet pilots. Can you imagine how fierce the competition is? it HAS to require SOME strength of will...

But, I think I've rambled on about this long enough....

Perhaps the truth is... Hal Jordan would have enough Will Power to be a Green Lantern even if he had never been a pilot... He probably could have been a notary public or parking attendant and still been a Green Lantern... Maybe we should discuss Beer colored Lantern's now!