Why does about every single hero take place in USA?

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

While numerous mindless crimes is going on in Europe. Why doesn't Superman or Green lantern get over here and help us ? are they racist?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of these heroes are just vigilantes who are not appointed to stop criminals plus they represent the US so that could escalate hostility between nations.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk about the DC universe, but Marvel has European heroes there too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were created by Americans.

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk about the DC universe, but Marvel has European heroes there too.

Possibly but not more than 5%

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know, but still... Americans can research other parts of the world, Europe has some cool cultural cities where it could take place

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taquie: True. Well, when things get bad enough in Europe they will go there, but there just seems to be more villains and crime in America.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taquie: that would only create problems if we get it wrong. I mean I guess giving Europe its own heroes would be ok but to me it wouldn't be as interesting because European cities are kinda similar to American ones. If they did some heroes in Africa that would be great because Africa has a different terrain and style.

DonatelloRawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@taquie said:
@silkyballfro94 said:

I know, but still... Americans can research other parts of the world, Europe has some cool cultural cities where it could take place

The writers are primarily situated in America. The writers are more familiar with America. The settings would usually be American then.

darthdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They probably don't want to deal with all the refugee invaders

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Both Marvel and DC have European heroes/and heroines as well as crime fighters from other. They just aren't as focused on as much because DC and Marvel are American companies however heroes like Superman and Green Lantern do work in other countries on occasion however when it comes to sensitive matters such as threats that involve a lot of politics and relation with foreign countries, they are severely l united do to their connections to the us government.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

K_Brimstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• They're created by American based comic companies, and their readership is (or was) very largely American based
  • Creators could very well be lazy and not wanna do research.
  • (Not so much in the past) These days, things get politicized all to hell. If Superman were to go into say...Denmark, and start trying to fix a major problem, and ANY kind of interaction took place that involved ANYthing political. For instance Superman busts a member or their Parliament doing something seriously wrong (I don't know all what, that's why there'd have to be research). If something is done wrong, European people would likely have a cow. Creators also tend to use the United States because most creators are from there, know (or think they know) the political situations and such. How the police work, or are perceived to work etc. Heck, Captain America/Falcon just had a minor to do in the news about some weird political garbage, and that was from people in THIS country.
  • It's possible (again I'm just giving possible reasons, I doubt I know any better than anyone else) The Big Two's lawyers don't want to deal with garbage they might get from the governments of other countries about events portrayed there.

Any...all... none of these...I'm just SWAGing here folks.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like others have said, American creators and American based companies. No brainer.

jumpstart55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By jumpstart55

Um if you've read alot or any of the of comics spanning nearly a century or watched any of the films or various animated tv shows and movies, then you would know that Superheroes travel globally to different countries and continents on the regular and are constantly shown over throwing dictators,toppling corrupt regimes, intercepting missiles,warheads and constantly shown engaging in foreign affairs all the damn time. Especially the likes of Superman, Captain America, Wonder Women,Wolverine, X-men,Avengers,JL,Black Panther,Aquman, etc. And like others have said most of the major and popular superheroes were created by American companies so this thread is sort of like saying why dosent more anime and mange take place in America. And not to mention there are whole bunch of Superheroes that live in different continents such as Europe, Asia,Africa. I mean how is this even a thread? Word of advice, read more comics before shouting racism..

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Most comic publishers are US-based and a sizeable chunk of creators are still American, so it makes sense that the medium would reflect a US-centric point of view. The content someone puts out tends to (involuntarily or not) reflect their background. It's branching out as of late, though.

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the writers and artists live in America.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Because America is the land of the free and the best there is.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

Because the writers and artists live in America.

That or they lack Creativity. Also plenty do not live here.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By linsanel_Doctor

I'm pretty sure there's a Justice League Europe... anyway this is a terrible thread

Sommie7890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read aphla flight

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just catering to their base. I like it when they go into Europe, for personal reasons. When the X-Men toured the world, fixing things up after the P5 came into existence, it was fun to see other countries be represented, although it could be argued the stereotypes were troublesome.

Most of the world knows about the United States. Not so much the other way around (typically), so again, like I said, catering to their base. Same with films and other media.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

• They're created by American based comic companies, and their readership is (or was) very largely American based
  • Creators could very well be lazy and not wanna do research.
  • (Not so much in the past) These days, things get politicized all to hell. If Superman were to go into say...Denmark, and start trying to fix a major problem, and ANY kind of interaction took place that involved ANYthing political. For instance Superman busts a member or their Parliament doing something seriously wrong (I don't know all what, that's why there'd have to be research). If something is done wrong, European people would likely have a cow. Creators also tend to use the United States because most creators are from there, know (or think they know) the political situations and such. How the police work, or are perceived to work etc. Heck, Captain America/Falcon just had a minor to do in the news about some weird political garbage, and that was from people in THIS country.
  • It's possible (again I'm just giving possible reasons, I doubt I know any better than anyone else) The Big Two's lawyers don't want to deal with garbage they might get from the governments of other countries about events portrayed there.

Any...all... none of these...I'm just SWAGing here folks.

While all of this is true. I would like to point out that we Europeans generally aren't terribly thin-skinned when it comes to how other people depict us. True enough there will always be politicians who throw a fit if anyone says something bad about our back yard (thinking like the one in Romania who went after Top Gear for being called 'Borat country' at one time). But most average people wont really care... because we do this constantly amongst ourselves due to centuries old national rivalries on a multitude of stages. Brits insults the French and German in particular, they fire back at them and at the Spanish and Dutch and so on, and for the most part it's all taken in good spirit, most of the time. Like:

British quizshow host to his panel: "Now, whats the biggest load of rubbish in the world?"

Someone in the audience before the panel can respond: "France!"

What Flapcap, as I call him, did caught flack in the US because Fox News thinks it's audience would be terribly insulted, and quite a few I suppose went along with it and got really angry about it.

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason why most heroes are white

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Who cares? I'm a Brit and most of the comics I read are US based. It never occurs to me that Superman should go to London or something. They're fictional characters. It doesn't matter.

ryubh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ryubh

Same reason why most anime and manga takes place in Japan, familiar culture

dan12456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the most part, people don't buy series not set in America. Simple as that.

K_Brimstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While all of this is true. I would like to point out that we Europeans generally aren't terribly thin-skinned when it comes to how other people depict us. True enough there will always be politicians who throw a fit if anyone says something bad about our back yard (thinking like the one in Romania who went after Top Gear for being called 'Borat country' at one time). But most average people wont really care... because we do this constantly amongst ourselves due to centuries old national rivalries on a multitude of stages. Brits insults the French and German in particular, they fire back at them and at the Spanish and Dutch and so on, and for the most part it's all taken in good spirit, most of the time. Like:

British quizshow host to his panel: "Now, whats the biggest load of rubbish in the world?"

Someone in the audience before the panel can respond: "France!"

What Flapcap, as I call him, did caught flack in the US because Fox News thinks it's audience would be terribly insulted, and quite a few I suppose went along with it and got really angry about it.

Yeah, like I said, I was just SWAGing (Scientific Wild Assed Guess). lol btw I rather like FlapCap. The whole thing with the Fox News nuts was only a thing to THEM (as far as I could tell).

I can see all the Europeans talking garbage to each other, y'all have been doing that forever, however fact is LOTS of Europeans aren't big fans of the U.S. I don't CARE I'm just saying what (I think) is a fact.

American comics digging around in their politics and stuff might bother some people (again, might not just guessing). Personally, I'm all for more international super heroes and stories, but I'm a small percent of the market, So I don't know. :)

Taquie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dan12456 said:

For the most part, people don't buy series not set in America. Simple as that.

bunch of liberals that what they are

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel tried Marvel UK. It was... awkward.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Marvel UK went down the drain because it started pandering to Americans.

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber said:

@combatkung said:

Marvel UK went down the drain because it started pandering to Americans.

So it ended up not appealing to anyone.

I bought a couple issues to get some X-Force appearances back in the day. The books were odd, but I still pick up old Warheads issues whenever I find them in the quarter bins at the LCS.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So it ended up not appealing to anyone.

I bought a couple issues to get some X-Force appearances back in the day.

The books were odd, but I still pick up old Warheads issues whenever I find them in the quarter bins at the LCS.

I watched a documentary on Marvel UK once, essentially their Liefeld-esque 90s comics sold really well in the United States and the company grew very, very quickly, but they reinvested all of their profits into launching more comics and then the market crashed.

I actually didn't mind Warheads, but it didn't hold a candle to Moore Captain Britain, Delano Night Raven, or original Death's Head IMO

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: I haven't read any of those. I did pick up a few Motormouth & Killpower issues because I thought the girl was cute. Then she didn't shut up and ruined everything.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did pick up a few Motormouth & Killpower issues because I thought the girl was cute.

Then she didn't shut up and ruined everything.

I felt like the first issue of Motormouth had promise but that it just got worse as it went on.

Never liked Dark Angel much, and Death's Head 2 replaced a character I liked so it was on my bad side from the start.

Did you read Mys-Tech Wars? jeez that was bad, so bad it actually ended up being funny.

CombatKung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: I stopped actively searching for Marvel UK stuff just before Mys-Tech Wars. I already knew that I didn't want to be too invested. I did read some Shadow Riders, though. I think they officially turned me off to the line.

If the arc was so bad that it was good then I may have to revisit this stuff.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kind of like asking why does most manga take place in Japan.