Why do you personally love Lord of the Rings?

JackKira89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whether you are a fan of the books, movies, games etc Lord of the Rings has touched the hearts of many but for people they are for different reasons. I wonder what made Lord of the Rings such a great experiences for you? :)

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The world building for one, especially the quaint, idyllic nature of Middle Earth in general.

If I had to pick a fictional world to live in, it'd be the Shire anyday, no questions asked.

Super_ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i don't.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

World-building and lore for sure.

Too many new fictional franchises these days are all: "Look at this cute character!" "Look at that cool action sequence!" "EXPLOSIONS!" "DRAMA!", but in the end you don't really learn anything about anyone or about the world it's all happening in. It's all too in-the-moment, disposable entertainment.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Too many new fictional franchises these days are all: "Look at this cute character!" "Look at that cool action sequence!" "EXPLOSIONS!" "DRAMA!", but in the end you don't really learn anything about anyone or about the world it's all happening in. It's all too in-the-moment, disposable entertainment.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunmetalgrey said:

Anna_Karenina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Tom Bombadil

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@kevd4wg said:
@the_magister said:
@gunmetalgrey said:

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Magic + its just a damn good movie

Avatar image for thedarkknight9283
thedarkknight9283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The lore of the movies and the books.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They were good movies with great characters in the original trilogy the hobbit trilogy was meh but the original trilogy was just epic

Boogeymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gandalf being Gandalf.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Amazing acting, script writing, directing and casting.

Boogeymonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This is a guy you want to smoke weed with. You know he has the good shit.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheSpartanB345T

This.

And how great the movies are meshed together. Greatest trilogy of all time, such consistent quality throughout.

Avatar image for stvblackrose801
stvblackrose801

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the forbidden love story between Sam and Frodo. Their bond through the whole journey was just amazing. I know the idea of them being in love with each other was wish fulfillment but I do think it is one of the best bromances out there. Also the bonds of all the other characters of the followship were amazing.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's socially unacceptable not to.

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Lord of the Rings is my all time favorite novel. I used to read it over and over. I love the characters and the world building, and I think it's the best story of good conquering evil that I've seen.

The entire fellowship is among my favorite fictional characters. Aragorn and Gandalf are two of the most alpha male characters in fiction.

Frodo and Sam have one of the greatest friendships in fiction, and I think they demonstrate some of the best displays of willpower in fiction. They went from living in Hobbiton to hell. They were lucky to keep they're sanity. Although, Frodo got more messed up since he didn't have Rosie like Sam.

Movie-wise, they have great acting, great quotes, great scenery, and great music. Character-wise, the book is far better, but as action movies, they're pretty good!

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's the greatest. Great lore, great plot, great characters, great battles, great climax, great ending, great humor. It has everything.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read The Hobbit and TLoTR in middle school. They showcased a fascinating world filled with deep, well crafted lore and adventures. I've been a fan ever since.

Trullare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because of the world, creativeness, lore, fantasy aspect, illustration and most of all the story.

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Gotoucanario

Epic battles and mythos. Frodo's perspective was boring af but then again I watched them when I was a kid so yeah. I like fantasy.

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for echostarlord117
echostarlord117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm being completely honest, it's probably mostly nostalgia. One of the first serious books I ever read was The Hobbit, and I watched the movies a lot as a kid. That being said...

@kevd4wg said:
@the_magister said:
@gunmetalgrey said:

this is very true. Aside from my nostalgia, The Lord of the Rings stories are just quality. Say what you want about them, but they're definitely well written and very original. As these people already pointed out, so much fiction nowadays is conventional and mindless.

WARMACHINEROX3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WARMACHINEROX3
the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trullare said:

Because of the world, creativeness, lore, fantasy aspect, illustration and most of all the story.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aragorn and Gandalf are two of the most alpha male characters in fiction.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MetalJimmor

The Hobbit was one of my favorite books as a kid, but beyond that I just love the scope of the world Tolkien built. The people and cultures vary without being direct copy pastes of existing civilizations like you see in most fantasy settings these days. Yes, Tolkien took inspiration here and there, but Tolkien blends his inspirations together well enough that I don't walk away going "So this is Fantasy China, and these guys here are Fantasy Holy Roman Empire..." His creations were so outstanding that they are now what we point to when describing other fictional societies. "These are not-elves and these are not-hobbits".

I also adore the themes of the setting. On it's surface it is a standard good vs evil story, but it's really more along the lines of "hope vs despair". Sauron never appears in the books, but his presence lingers over every step of the journey as a cloud of unease around the Fellowship. The knowledge of the futility of their task and the certainty of their doom. This presence is at it's weakest in Fellowship where they spend much of their time in the idyllic Shire and beautiful Rivendell, far from the conflict. But it peaks in Return of the King as Sauron's gloom lingers over Gondor. Denethor's character is perhaps my biggest issue with the movies, which I otherwise love. In the books he is a proud, noble man with a keen mind that can rival even Gandalf in wit and foresight. But he had gazed deeply into the Palantir where Sauron showed him images of the greatness of his army and the inevitable end of the War of the Ring, driving Denethor into hopelessness and in turn madness. It makes Sauron's influence much more frightening than the movie version where Denethor was a weak willed ruler already.

This is why Sauron is one of my favorite villains of all time. He doesn't need to show up and punch things to death to feel like a threat. His constant presence is felt from start to finish. Through the Ring's seductive presence to the dark cloud of doubt and fear that settles over the people of Gondor. His terror is personified by the nazgul, dark riders who tirelessly pursue the main characters from the very first book and bring ruin on Sauron's enemies as generals in the last. Despite, or perhaps because of, Sauron's lack of personal presence in the series he easily becomes one of the most influential and daunting villains I've ever read. It is only through courage and the guiding hand of Gandalf and his fool's hope that the people of Middle Earth make it through to the end.

And the ending. People often give Tolkien crap for all his heroes surviving (minus Boromir, who doesn't count apparently) to the end and having a happy ending. I often wonder if those people were reading the same book as I was. The ending to Lord of the Rings is a bittersweet one. Frodo doesn't save the day. He fails at the very end, finally being consumed by the Ring. It is only through Sam's courage that the Ring is destroyed and Frodo is saved, and even then Frodo is ruined. He constantly feels the pain of his old wound and the gnawing influence of the Ring. Sam goes on to have a happy life with a wife and kids. Frodo is so spiritually ravaged by his experiences that he isn't able to find happiness even when the war has been won. That is why he is taken to Valinor at the end along with the elves and Gandalf. So he can finally find peace. But to do this he needs to leave Sam, Merry, and Pippin behind and depart this world. In other words, Frodo dies and finds peace in the afterlife. Sam is forced to continue on without his best friend, but moves on with the love of his family.

I could keep going. I absolutely love the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Hobbit. As well as the Children of Hurin, a darker tale set in the First Age of Middle Earth that I highly recommend to fans of LOTR. Unfortunately I have other things I wanted to do tonight, so I am stopping myself before I go on an even longer rant.