Why do people say that the MCU is more accurate/pays more respect to the source material & characters?

• 140 results
Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Petey_is_Spidey

I've never gotten this. So turning mostly everyone into a Tony Stark clone is paying more respect to the source material? Sure, DCEU by no means portrays all their characters accurately, but at least people don't act like they do. Yet when it comes to the MCU, everyone goes on about how "THEY RESPECT THE CHARACTERS?" As a huge Thor fan, I just laugh whenever I see that comment. It couldn't be farther from the truth.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, this thread isn't meant to bash the MCU, but simply meant to point out something I find hypocritical in its fanbase.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

When people say something like that I just assume they haven't read any of the books or that they assume it's 'in the spirit of the characters'.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

People say that?

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People say that?

Yes, or they imply it indirectly when they make comments like "The DCEU pays no respect to the source material" or "Snyder shits all over the characters".

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Id say the MCU just found the best way to portray the characters on screen possible without being cheesy.

minorincon32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole respect thing I agree with. Snyder didn't respect the stories he pulled from. Or the characters for that matter. He went for the most popular batman story there is (TDKR) on his first go, which doesn't sound like a bad idea but he gave batman zero motivation to hate superman so it felt like a just because\click bait kind of decision, then he killed superman in his second appearance which made his death practically meaningless, then showed dirt move to instantly take any gravity away from superman dying. He basically said in an interview that you cant take characters seriously when they're in their costumes, so that's lack of respect to the fans IMO.

So IMO Zach and DC don't respect the characters I grew to admire.

MCU films IMO respect the character, and the stories, but they don't expect everyone to take it all 100% seriously, so they add levity that isn't really needed. That's why Marvel Netflix properties are my favorite live action adaptations. They are dark like DCEU tries to be, but also have heart and meaning without the philosophical nonsense Luthor seems to be obsessed with. Marvel Netflix just needs to have more platform freedom, meaning more control over the amount of content they choose to produce. Punisher is a prime example of a great show that suffers from trying to fit the slots. 6 episodes would've been plenty.

But, when people say marvel follows the source material more, ask them to show you the panel where star lord dances with ronan. Or where the Mandarin is a drunken actor. Please, please, tell them to produce a copy of the issue where Black widow falls for Bruce Banner.

Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole respect thing I agree with. Snyder didn't respect the stories he pulled from. Or the characters for that matter. He went for the most popular batman story there is (TDKR) on his first go, which doesn't sound like a bad idea but he gave batman zero motivation to hate superman so it felt like a just because\click bait kind of decision, then he killed superman in his second appearance which made his death practically meaningless, then showed dirt move to instantly take any gravity away from superman dying. He basically said in an interview that you cant take characters seriously when they're in their costumes, so that's lack of respect to the fans IMO.

So IMO Zach and DC don't respect the characters I grew to admire.

MCU films IMO respect the character, and the stories, but they don't expect everyone to take it all 100% seriously, so they add levity that isn't really needed. That's why Marvel Netflix properties are my favorite live action adaptations. They are dark like DCEU tries to be, but also have heart and meaning without the philosophical nonsense Luthor seems to be obsessed with. Marvel Netflix just needs to have more platform freedom, meaning more control over the amount of content they choose to produce. Punisher is a prime example of a great show that suffers from trying to fit the slots. 6 episodes would've been plenty.

But, when people say marvel follows the source material more, ask them to show you the panel where star lord dances with ronan. Or where the Mandarin is a drunken actor. Please, please, tell them to produce a copy of the issue where Black widow falls for Bruce Banner.

How can they respect their characters when most of their lineup is so monotonous in their characterization and personality? How can they respect the characters when many of their characters (Thor, Black Widow, pretty much all of their villains, etc) barely resemble the source material, or make a mockery of the source material? How do they respect their characters? So showing respect for the source material means making it "lighthearted"? Please.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

I agree. It annoys me especially in the case of Thor. That is NOT Thor in the MCU nor is it Black Widow.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Wrong. You're looking for 100% accuracy across the board and that's not possible it's easily the most comic accurate

Galactic_1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They don't.Look At Thor.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dernman

@kgb725 said:

@petey_is_spidey: Wrong. You're looking for 100% accuracy across the board and that's not possible it's easily the most comic accurate

Nobody expects 100% accuracy but with things like Thor and Black Widow they don't even try.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman: They clearly tried with Thor who just consistently failed

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725: Not really. Thor from the beginning strayed away from the character. It's just now that they totally abandoned it. Regardless even if it WAS true it doesn't mean it wouldn't work. It would just mean that what they did do wasn't very good. Which it wasn't.

I mean regardless if you think they were close or not it had way to many problems besides that. You shouldn't abandon the idea of being closer to the source for reasons that don't have to do with it.

Chris-Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Chris-Sama

Ahh the butt hurt is so real.

Because star lord and stark are the same person.

OP is just a crybaby.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Citation needed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Because the MCU didn't take one of the most happy and hopeful comic book characters ever created and have him do stuff such as snapping necks or saying stuff like "Nobody stays good in this world".

Did I forget to mention that they made Batman kill?

AngelJax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MCU is an adaptation. Not a beat-for-beat re-telling. It would be kind of stupid and redundant if every character adapted behaved exactly like their comic book counterparts.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@angeljax said:

The MCU is an adaptation. Not a beat-for-beat re-telling. It would be kind of stupid and redundant if every character adapted behaved exactly like their comic book counterparts.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it's true if you're comparing it to the DCEU.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It depends on the movie and characters. Literally all of Spiderman: Homecoming's characters were their comic-book counterparts in name only.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MonsterStomp

They disgraced Thor after the first film. He apparently a comedian now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5abbc73944668
deactivated-5abbc73944668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor couldn't be more degenerated from his comic book form. Same goes for Hulk suddenly gaining the ability of limited speech. Both franchises have taken their fair share of liberties when it comes to staying true to the comics, they do so when it suits them, and do not when it suits them

JamesWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uuummm have you seen the dceu? superman and batman were peversions of themselves and even in the most recent JL, sure they got superman right character wise, but they made the entire league irrelevant to do so. honestly, I understand that not everyone shares my opinion and that the dceu has fans, but look at reviews and sales, if the dceu is to survive, defending it is not the way to do it. And it's not just that people want only jokes, look at Netflix, look at Nolan, Christopher reeves, etc. the dceu is just poorly done.

GrImuS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate what they've done to Thor and Hulk

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People see really well performed and inspired characters and assume that must mean they're accurate. It's a strange phenomenon that I often fall victim too as well, assuming I know more about the source material than I actually do.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't want to see the exact same story if I did I would just read the comics. Of course Marvel is not perfectly comic accurate nor should they be just like the DCEU should not be 100% accurate. As long as there is still a piece of the actual character(Which they don't always do) or make a drastic change that is highly enjoyable even if it is not comic accurate(Starlord) then why do I care if Civil War is made differently than the comics or if Captain America doesn't crack jokes in the comics.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@petey_is_spidey

Lost post incoming. Because I'm bored and it's late. Bear in mind I am no a comic book expert. I don't proclaim myself to be a comic book expert. I am a casual comic book reader, but I like to think I have a decent understanding of what makes them beloved and what makes them work and tick with people. I will also use examples from the DCEU of where the characters did work to help illustrate my point, and also examples from the MCU where the characters did work and didn't work.

First off, if you're claiming that Thor should be held to the same standard as Batman and Superman, you're being unrealistic. Batman and Superman are the most iconic superheroes ever made. They've been ingrained in pop culture via comics, TV shows, movies and video games for decades. We've seen Batman done again and again in popular media. The same goes for Superman. Of course the standard for accuracy is going to be higher: these are the most iconic superhero movies ever made. We've had predetermined notions of them that have been build for decades, that have also been passed down to us from older generations such as our fathers and mothers who read comics and watched Donner's Superman. It's unrealistic to expect Thor, a character most didn't care for until the movie, to be held to the same Standard as Superman: the Superman. Superman is pretty much the Superhero. The same goes for the goddamn Batman. He's the goddamn Batman, lol. We've seen him done through animation, Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, live-action TV shows etc. All of these things have built expectations of these characters. The MCU had the advantage of using smaller, more obscure characters that are no where near the popularity of Marvel's main IP's (X-Men and Spider-Man) must less Superman and Batman. There's a reason a lot more people complain about Supes and Bats being inaccurate than they do about Flash and Aquaman.

Second of all, paying respect to the source material isn't just talking like the character, looking like them, moving like them and acting like them. If this were the case, BvS's Batman would be the most accurate depiction of a CB character ever: he looked like he leapt off the pages, he talked like Batman and he acted like Batman. Saying Thor isn't accurate because he isn't a comedic character in the comics, or saying that Superman isn't accurate because he should always be smiling, is silly. These characters have been written by hundreds if not thousands of writers in the past. Thor has been written comedic before. Superman has been written as not always smiling before (Superman: Earth One, a book I highly recommend. That shit's good). It isn't about acting like them, because each writer has a different spin on their personality. As a person who writes often, the personality of the author always comes through in the work. It's unavoidable. It isn't about writing Thor as a serious character, or writing Superman as a character who is always smiling. That isn't what it's about. It's about understanding the fundamentals of the characters, what makes them work, what makes them so compelling, and emphasising these aspects.

This is what IMO, the MCU has done very well. They understand what it is that works about Cap, and they Emphasise it, with a capital E. The First Avenger is one of my favourite MCU films (a lot better than the bland, fast-food Doctor Strange & Ant-Man which for some reason get higher ratings) and why? Because it gets Captain America. This scene right here is one of the best scenes in the MCU, and one of my favourite conversations in a CBM ever:

The serum amplifies everything that is inside, so.. Good becomes great. Bad becomes worse. This is why you were chosen. Because a strong man. Who has known power all his life. They lose respect for that power. Whatever happens tomorrow, you must promise me one thing. That you must stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier. But. A good man.

This line gets Captain America. I don't know how to elaborate on it anymore because the line does such a good job of summing up everything about Cap. Why he was chosen for the experiment. Why he values his power and why he uses it for good. The fact that if in anyone else's hands, they could've abused the power. But not Rogers. He understands the value of the power and understands to never abuse it. He was a good man before the serum. The serum only amplified it and allowed him to use this to do good. This is an accurate portrayal of the character. This is paying respect to the source material.

Let's look at Superman now. The point of Superman in the comics is that he couldn't have been raised by better parents: Jonathan and Martha were fantastic parents who taught Superman kindness, using his powers for good, compassion, to be good human being etc. This is a core part of Superman's character. Instead of emphasising these qualities in the DCEU, we get two movies of Supes's parents telling him to lay low, to hide his powers, "you don't owe this world a thing", 'don't save me because it'll put your life in danger" etc. etc. and barely anything about being a great person. A great human being. A compassionate, caring person. Such a big part of the comics and they gloss over it. Here's the thing about Supes as a character, and something his death in BvS 99.9% misses. Superman shouldn't be inspiring because he is willing to kill himself. There are millions of wonderful soldiers who do this everyday. I don't see monumental built about every soldier that dies saying "if you want to see x soldier's monument, look around." Superman is inspiring because he has unimaginable power - power you could only dream of - but he uses it for good, because he had great f***** parents who raised an ace human being. But no, instead of emphasising this quality, they glossed over it in favour of "humans will not react well to aliens." This ISN'T why people read Superman. That isn't the reason he became such a beloved character. The Superman symbol didn't become the 2nd most recognisable symbol in the world because it's a story about how humans wouldn't react well to aliens. It's because Superman is so inspiring IN LIFE, not in death. He inspires people because he has enough power to destroy a planet, yet he is so compassionate, kind, friendly and heroic. Not saying these qualities don't exist in DCEU's Supes, but they gloss over them in favour of other aspects, and think Supes is inspiring because he kills himself. No number of jokes, quips and smiles from Cavill will make this a comic accurate interpretation.

The same goes for Batman, who was woefully mishandled in JL. Does he look like Batman? Abso-freakingly-lutely. Does he move like Batman? On point. But is he Batman? No. Because they glossed over what is so appealing about Batman in favour of making him a thug with a lot of money lol. Batman is supposed to be the prep god. That was handled well in BvS, but in JL, he shows up to the final fight with.... a gun? That's it? They completely glossed over the intelligence & prep that makes Batman such a cool character.

Who is one of the DCEU's best characters and one of the best examples of the DCEU paying respect to the source material? Zod. Why? Is it because he looks like him? Is it because he talks the way Zod should talk like? No. It's because they emphasised the best aspects of Zod: his leadership, his commitment to his people, portraying him as a sympathetic figure. This is what paying respect to the source material is about. Understanding what makes the character work, applying it, and emphasising their humanity. I don't care how many jokes Cavill cracks or how wide he smiles. It means nothing if they can't get these aspects of the character right.

I'm out.

EDIT: I also wanted to add one more thing. Cap and Supes are both leaders. The MCU gets this. We got a scene in The Avengers where he was telling everyone what to do and everyone listened. Supes on the other hand, shows up to the fight in JL asking "what can I do to help?" Like a goddamn waiter, lol. This could've been a perfect opportunity to show him coming into a leadership role. But instead: two steps front, three steps back.

EDIT 2: By the way I'm not saying you shouldn't be able to enjoy these interpretations. If you enjoy them, that's great. But this is what people mean when they say they don't pay respect to the source material. Writing Supes into a situation where he HAS to kill is the least Supes thing ever. One of the most appealing aspects of the character is that he always finds a way. So is "no one stays good in this world."

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Because the MCU didn't take one of the most happy and hopeful comic book characters ever created and have him do stuff such as snapping necks or saying stuff like "Nobody stays good in this world".

Did I forget to mention that they made Batman kill?

yeah, cause no live action Batman has killed before

Loading Video...

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Terrific post. I came to write something similar, but I doubt I could’ve said it any better.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I notice the only MCU character you even mention is Cap being right, tell me what other characters have they gotten the essence right and emphasized it?

you go on and on about Batman and Superman not being right, but this thread is about MCU character accuracy

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@mrnoital:

This thread is about comparing the two. Just read this:

So turning mostly everyone into a Tony Stark clone is paying more respect to the source material? Sure, DCEU by no means portrays all their characters accurately

I could've gone into more characters, but that would be a giant-a** post so I used one character to emphasise my point. But since you asked, I'll elaborate: Homecoming emphasised Spider-Man's sense of obligation and responsibility: he turns down Liz, the girl he has a huge crush on, multiple times in order to do the right thing, leaving the academic decathlon etc. They nailed the "sometimes Peter has to lose for Spider-Man to win" aspect, such as when he saves the day and defeats the villain, but he didn't get to enjoy the prom date, his girlfriend is miserable and is moving out of the city. They also got the "friendly neighbourhood" part of the character right, with him deciding to stick close to the ground and help the little man instead of joining The Avengers.

Iron Man: The first film was all about a selfish, rich, egotistical, narcissistic man learning selflessness. The movies have also constantly emphasises Tony's internal conflict, weapons he's manufactured, being ostracised as a public figure etc. He is a flawed hero, and the MCU movies capture this very well IMO.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Mrnoital

@theamazingspidey: it didn't have to be

you made 9 paragraphs, and 2 of them are about MCU characters

you aren't really comparing them as much as just talking about DCEU with small mentions of the MCU

and Tony didn't so much learn selflessness as get traumatized into it

it wasn't a gradual process, it was one big event that completely changed him

there wasn't internal conflict, he didn't waver in what he wanted when he came back

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital said:

@theamazingspidey: it didn't have to be

you made 9 paragraphs, and 2 of them are about MCU characters

you aren't really comparing them as much as just talking about DCEU with small mentions of the MCU

Sorry my essay wasn't perfect enough for you but I was thirsty to watch Punisher. Next time I'll get you as a freelance writer. But yeah, I elaborated.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t think the DCEU does any worse or better with source material than Disney/MARVEL Studios, FOX or SONY. They all take liberties with characterization, backgrounds, abilities and appearance. Honestly not everything from source material would translate well to film or be acceptable for General Audience ticket buyers. I don’t feel any one studio is better or more guilty than the other in this aspect

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Mrnoital

@theamazingspidey: the thread asks why people say the MCU is more accurate, and you just go on about why DCEU needs to be better with Batman and Superman

just sayin

Avatar image for redhoodsavagery
redhoodsavagery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dceu sticks with source material the best mcu does not

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@mrnoital:

it wasn't a gradual process, it was one big event that completely changed him

Your point being?

there wasn't internal conflict, he didn't waver in what he wanted when he came back

If you think Tony has no internal conflict in these movies, I don't know what to say. Tony is constantly burdened by guilt in Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron and Civil War.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They portray the characters to cater to general audiences, make them like-able.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petey_is_spidey: Saying that does not mean that the MCU is innocent of this but also consider that the mcu is a mix of the 616 and ultimate universe and that in generally movie portrayal will always be somewhat different than fans expectation and if the movies themselves.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an adaptation. Some adaptations are better than others. Fox and MCU are several country miles ahead of the DCEU and very few of their characters are comics accurate.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of CBM fans don't read comics so they wouldn't have anything to compare the movie characters to. If they do read comics, a lot of them started after they became fans of the MCU, and we all know how Marvel conforms to it's movies at times. But, for the most part, i'd say the MCU is at an advantage because it deals with lesser known characters. These characters are mostly a blank slate in terms of characterizations. If you change Drax the Destroyer into a short bus buffoon, how many people really care enough to protest loudly? The 11 Drax fans? Versus the millions who were introduced to him in GotG?? On the other hand, everybody and their mother has an idea of how Superman should be characterized regardless of whether or not they've ever even held a comic in their hand. They have multiple other live action sources to pull from. They think DCEU Superman should be more like Reeve despite the fact that comic Superman hasn't been like him in decades. Or maybe Smallville, despite the fact that Clark was a douche in that series.

It's basically a double edged sword for the DCEU. They put more butts in seats by default, but they lose more butts if expectations aren't met.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of CBM fans don't read comics so they wouldn't have anything to compare the movie characters to. If they do read comics, a lot of them started after they became fans of the MCU, and we all know how Marvel conforms to it's movies at times. But, for the most part, i'd say the MCU is at an advantage because it deals with lesser known characters. These characters are mostly a blank slate in terms of characterizations. If you change Drax the Destroyer into a short bus buffoon, how many people really care enough to protest loudly? The 11 Drax fans? Versus the millions who were introduced to him in GotG?? On the other hand, everybody and their mother has an idea of how Superman should be characterized regardless of whether or not they've ever even held a comic in their hand. They have multiple other live action sources to pull from. They think DCEU Superman should be more like Reeve despite the fact that comic Superman hasn't been like him in decades. Or maybe Smallville, despite the fact that Clark was a douche in that series.

It's basically a double edged sword for the DCEU. They put more butts in seats by default, but they lose more butts if expectations aren't met.

Clark wasn't a douche, he was a clueless punk that let Lana, Chloe and Lois walk all over him, and didn't have the balls to deal with Luthor.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:
@buttersdaman000 said:

Clark wasn't a douche, he was a clueless punk that let Lana, Chloe and Lois walk all over him, and didn't have the balls to deal with Luthor.

Nah, he was a douche and a toolbag. Remeber how long it took him to move on Lana after Whitney left for the Marines? Like...a day. Look how he treated Ollie. Ollie was basically an abused housewife, the way he always vied for Clarks approval only to be met with a cold shoulder 90% of the time.

He and Jonathan were extremely self-righteous as well, always thinking they were on the right path. But, when it was time to extend that righteousness to those that needed it, they always assumed the worst. Look at Lex. John distrusted him simply because of his father, and that distrust trickled down to Clark. The thing about Smallville Lex Luthor is that Clark and Jonathan created him. If they had simply been more trusting, as Superman should, Lex would have likely never done the things he did. But they ignored him, talked down to him and lied to him repeatedly. He felt betrayed and left out, turning to his own devices to solve the mysteries of the town. Hell, going back to Jonathan, his distrust literally got him killed.

So, yeah, I agree that Clark was a clueless punk, but he was also a douche/tool bag.