• 54 results
Avatar image for thedarkknight9283
#1 Posted by thedarkknight9283 (245 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

While it isn't my favorite comic book animated series, it's my favorite Spider-Man series and favorite Marvel animated series . The X-Men series from 1992 is just like it and aired on the same block, yet people love that series while people on this series. I don't get it.

I know it has flaws and is a little dated by today's standards, but Christopher Daniel Barnes is by far the definition interpretation of Peter Parker/Spider-Man outside the live-action movies.

#2 Edited by Spidey_Jackson (6324 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a trend to hate on things that "don't age well"

I will never understand this term.

Beata

#3 Posted by Hush114 (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestley i loved it. It was part of my saturday morning ritual.

#4 Posted by Gotoucanario (2472 posts) - - Show Bio

Who hates good ol animated Spidey? it rocks.

#5 Posted by Invain (4652 posts) - - Show Bio

That was the best Spiderman cartoon, and by far the most comic accurate version of the character that has appeared in mainstream media.

#6 Posted by thedarkknight9283 (245 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll tell you who:

• The Spectacular Spider-Man fans (yes they exist, LOL).
  • The Nostalgic Critic (He completely bashed the 1994 series, but didn't give any good reasons other than "he never watched it." Yet, he loves the 1992 X-Men Animated Series.
  • I met some younger fans say they hate the 90's cartoon because it's "older" and they want Spider-Man to be a young teenager all the time.

#7 Posted by MAZAHS117 (9535 posts) - - Show Bio

This show was great. People hate this show?

#8 Posted by Super_ninja (2295 posts) - - Show Bio

i like it.

#9 Posted by TheDeathstroke (992 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Posted by Farkam (9952 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by All-Father (3029 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never seen anyone who hates it

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
#12 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (8821 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkknight9283: Why do you say "Yes, they exist" as if it's surprising Spectacular Spider-Man had/has fans?

That show deserves every bit of acclaim it received.

Now, Ultimate Spider-Man I can understand.

#13 Posted by Monstrous93 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@hush114 said:

@farkam said:
@thedeathstroke said:
@mazahs117 said:

@invain said:

That was one of the best Spiderman cartoons, and by far the most comic accurate version of the character that has appeared in mainstream media.

#14 Posted by adamTRMM (5951 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn my cousin had this Carnage toy! Why does this forum love to pull my nostalgia strings so often?

Also, from what I've seen, this show is till plenty loved, thank god.

#15 Edited by TwentyGoodMen (564 posts) - - Show Bio

I've never met anyone who didn't like this series despite his durability being trash and never throwing a punch, the storytelling was great and it has that great nostalgic feel

#16 Posted by JokerBat88 (769 posts) - - Show Bio

This show was legit. It was part of my Saturday morning cartoons along with Batman the Animated Series and the Xmen. One of the greatest things growing up.

#17 Edited by Watcher5000 (5053 posts) - - Show Bio

Who hates it? It was my favorite cartoon growing up, that and spectacular spider-man of course.

#18 Posted by Saberscar223 (1656 posts) - - Show Bio

#20 Posted by Itachus17 (1144 posts) - - Show Bio

@monstrous93 said:

@hush114 said:

@farkam said:
@thedeathstroke said:
@mazahs117 said:

@gotoucanario said:

@invain said:

That was one of the best Spiderman cartoons, and by far the most comic accurate version of the character that has appeared in mainstream media.

This.

#21 Edited by MrAbductor (285 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Edited by The_Hajduk (683 posts) - - Show Bio

I was born after this show's time so I'm not blinded by nostalgia goggles. I can say truthfully that this show kicked ass. It was probably even more amazing for its time period. It was one of those first cartoons along with DBZ to be an actual ongoing story rather than episodic. Some of the arcs and ideas in this series were just straight awesome, especially the final season when they do Secret Wars, and then a bunch of alternate Spider-Men join forces against SPIDER-CARNAGE. But even before that they had an amazing Black Suit/Venom saga, and Otto's German accent is now the way I read him.

#23 Posted by webinyoureye11 (2365 posts) - - Show Bio

This show is better than most comic book related media even today. Haters gonna hate

#24 Posted by J_Tonic (34 posts) - - Show Bio

The cartoon was great. I wish more cartoons would of used that style of storytelling.

#25 Posted by StormShadow_X (12928 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a trend to hate on things that "don't age well"

I will never understand this term.

Beata

This.

#26 Posted by JustOneShot (810 posts) - - Show Bio

That cartoon was great. What I don't understand is why Spectacular was so popular.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
#27 Posted by The Impersonator (8289 posts) - - Show Bio

How can people hate this show? This show was amazing.

#28 Edited by silent_bomber (4642 posts) - - Show Bio

A better question would be "why did anyone like this show in the first place"

#29 Posted by Kevd4wg (1093 posts) - - Show Bio

@monstrous93 said:

@hush114 said:

@farkam said:
@thedeathstroke said:
@mazahs117 said:

@gotoucanario said:

@invain said:

This.

#30 Posted by wildvine (13826 posts) - - Show Bio

@kevd4wg said:
@itachus17 said:

@monstrous93 said:

@hush114 said:

@farkam said:
@thedeathstroke said:
@mazahs117 said:

@gotoucanario said:

@invain said:

This.

Ditto

#31 Posted by TommytheHitman (5649 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Mike_Fowler (4056 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would people be surprised if people hated this show?

I love it, but there's flaws to it that can make people hate it

A) the censorship (to the point where not only could thugs not use guns, but spider man couldn't throw a punch)

B) just how much recycled animation there was.

C) nearly every villain working for kingpin

Cmon now, really can't see why some people would hate it?

#33 Posted by silent_bomber (4642 posts) - - Show Bio

Just how much recycled animation there was.

Yup, every other week you'd get the same damn Spider-Man animation just overlayed over a different background.

#34 Edited by PenguinDust (4879 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a product of its time, but I don't think any part of it is worth hating. I enjoyed it back then, but honestly I don't have much desire to revisit it like BTAS, Rocko's Modern Life, Beast Wars or the better shows from the Disney Afternoon. The 90's had great cartoons, and Spider-Man was certainly one of them, but I'd rather watch Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends because that was the show I watched every Saturday morning with an ice cold bowl of Fruit Loops growing up. That's my nostalgia trigger.

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#35 Posted by scott_summers52 (1492 posts) - - Show Bio

It's better than every Spider-Man series that's come after Spectacular Spider-Man

#36 Posted by Farkam (9952 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotoucanario said:

I'll tell you who:

• The Nostalgic Critic (He completely bashed the 1994 series, but didn't give any good reasons other than "he never watched it." Yet, he loves the 1992 X-Men Animated Series.
  • I met some younger fans say they hate the 90's cartoon because it's "older" and they want Spider-Man to be a young teenager all the time.

Why wouldn't they? Spectacular' is a much beloved show. I was shocked when it was canceled.

#37 Posted by foxerdes (6743 posts) - - Show Bio

Who hates it?

#38 Edited by ANTHP2000 (9350 posts) - - Show Bio

Why because of the meme storm?

#39 Posted by Monstrous93 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@gotoucanario said:

I'll tell you who:

you act like SS was a bad show or something.

#40 Posted by thedarkknight9283 (245 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkknight9283 said:
@gotoucanario said:

I'll tell you who:

you act like SS was a bad show or something.

It was. I'll take Spider-Man: Unlimited and Spider-Man: The New Animated Series over it anyday.

#41 Posted by Mike_Fowler (4056 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Monstrous93 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkknight9283: what made it bad?

No, in all my life he is literally the only person to say it was bad. All the reviews of the show I have ever seen have been positive.Most are actually still upset that it was cancelled.

#43 Edited by thedarkknight9283 (245 posts) - - Show Bio

@monstrous93 said:
@mike_fowler said:

@thedarkknight9283: what made it bad?

No, in all my life he is literally the only person to say it was bad. All the reviews of the show I have ever seen have been positive.Most are actually still upset that it was cancelled.

Then I think you need to get out of the rock you live under because plenty of people didn't like the show and still don't. It got canceled because it wasn't popular with kids OR adults. I'll go into reasons I didn't like it:

• The animation of the show was terrible.
  • The voice acting was terrible.
  • Peter Parker is a high school student instead of college-aged young adult as Spider-Man.
  • The writing was crap and the show was extremely childish.
  • I hate Peter Parker's awful bowl-cut hair in this show.
#44 Posted by ScouterV (7647 posts) - - Show Bio

That cartoon was great. What I don't understand is why Spectacular was so popular.

I mean...it had a pretty sweet theme song, but that's about all that comes to mind as really standing out.

#45 Posted by uugieboogie (11921 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn’t even know people hate this show.

#46 Edited by Monstrous93 (364 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedarkknight9283:Lol if you're going to tell me to get out of the rock I've been under at least make sure you actually know what your talking about, instead of spouting nonsense like you are right now.

It got canceled because it wasn't popular with kids OR adults.

Lol what? It got cancelled because Disney bought Marvel, therefore Sony no longer had the rights to the spectacular spider-man tv show.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/09/02/sony-no-longer-producing-spectacular-spider-man-studio-loses-spidey-tv-rights

This is very basic knowledge too, so to say what you just said makes you look misinformed.

Then I think you need to get out of the rock you live under because plenty of people didn't like the show and still don't.

What? Everyone LOVED that show.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/the-spectacular-spider-man

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-spectacular-spider-man/reviews/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0976192/reviews

https://www.comicmix.com/2008/07/07/review-the-spectacular-spider-man-animated-series/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/spider-man/4005-1443/forums/why-is-spectacular-spider-man-seen-as-the-best-spi-665186/

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/spider-man-167/best-spider-man-tv-show-of-all-time-573404/

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/tv-reviews/the-spectacular-spider-man

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/26/the-spectacular-spider-man-the-complete-series-blu-ray-review

Here is what one of the reviews said

The Spectacular Spider-Man is the best animated series ever made about any Marvel character, and if it had a longer run, really feels like it would be up there with Batman: The Animated Series in terms of its perception as thedefinitive animated version of an iconic character as important and beloved as Spider-Man. The show ended in the middle of the legal complications of Marvel getting the TV rights back to Spider-Man completely (Weisman's written about exactly why the show basically had to end as a result), which is a huge shame, given how much had already been accomplished and what we could have gotten in the future. But at least we have these 26 episodes to enjoy over and over again.

So yeah definitely hated by PLENTY of people dude, and I need to get out from under I rock.

The animation of the show was terrible.

What? You think this is terrible?

No Caption Provided

Peter Parker is a high school student instead of college-aged young adult as Spider-Man.

And? Spider-Man in the comics started off in high school too, sure by issue 32 he was in college but guess what? They show ended prematurely, they didn't have time to have him in college.And really if the story is good, why does it matter?

The voice acting was terrible.

Nothing I can really say to this because it's your opinion, but his voice acting to me and EVERYONE ELSE who watched it good.

The writing was crap and the show was extremely childish.

You see, the thing you're saying aren't criticisms. You're just randomly saying certain things about the show are bad, name one story in the show that was bad and explain why it was.

I hate Peter Parker's awful bowl-cut hair in this show.

That has nothing to do with the story so whatever.

Literally everything you have said is garbage, I love the 90s spider-man cartoon but to say SS is garbage for the reasons you have said is silly.

#47 Posted by theacidskull (21629 posts) - - Show Bio

People don't hate it, but you have to acknowledge that for today's standards, it's heavily censored, especially for a superhero show. The stories were great, but the actions scenes left much to be desired.

There were two punches thrown in the entire season.

#48 Edited by Mike_Fowler (4056 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: heck I wouldn't even say for today's standards

BTAS and XTAS were still less censored (I really don't get why that was the case)

#49 Posted by theredhood44 (774 posts) - - Show Bio

I like it alot

But spectacular spiderman was probably the best spidey series

#50 Posted by JustOneShot (810 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: heck I wouldn't even say for today's standards

BTAS and XTAS were still less censored (I really don't get why that was the case)

X-Men was just as censored as Spider-Man. The censorship stemed from the channel that they aired on: Fox. Batman and Superman didn't have the same censorship problems because they aired on WB,