Posted by haydenclaireheroes (11935 posts) - - Show Bio

Tell me what you guys think:

#1 Posted by ShrimpDino (886 posts) - - Show Bio

My reasons why Spiderman is my favorite is

His costume,His Spider powers,His rogue gallery,and he is funny

#2 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17181 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes:

Now for the video on why people like Spider-girl so much :P

Anyway you are totally right. Spidey doesn't get the same amount of hate as Supes, Batman or even Iron Man.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
#3 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (11935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn: That would be an awesome topic video or at least why i like Spider-girl so much. I am going to do it on either Comic Uno or DarkAvengerINC and say you recommended it

#4 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17181 posts) - - Show Bio

@haydenclaireheroes said:

@Glitch_Spawn: That would be an awesome topic video or at least why i like Spider-girl so much. I am going to do it on either Comic Uno or DarkAvengerINC and say you recommended it

Glad I could contribute ha! :D

#5 Posted by Timandm (3393 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you got the main points...

• He's an "every man" type of character, so most of us can relate to him. He's not an alien, he's not an eccentric billionaire... He's just a regular guy... sort of...
  • He has super powers (which we love the idea of super powers) but he's not ALL-POWERFUL and absolutely unbeatable. He has definitely limits. I honestly believe that a character with too much power becomes boring.
  • Personality! He has a unique and fun personality. We love that! Sure, we appreciate that Batman is dark and surly, and some love that Hawkeye is cocky, but Spider-man is FUN...
  • Humility - he is absolutely not arrogant nor a glory hound.
  • He's a good mix... He's strong, but not the strongest. He's smart, but not the smartest. He's fast, but not the fastest. He's a little bit of everything...

But even with all that, I think it still comes down to the writing... If you have a good writer, people will love the character. If you have NOT a good writer, well....

#6 Posted by maddpanda (57 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: I absolutely agree. Spidey was created as a character that readers would be able to relate to. I think it's that relatability that really pushes him to first in any popularity contest.

#7 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17181 posts) - - Show Bio

@Glitch_Spawn said:

@haydenclaireheroes said:

Glad I could contribute ha! :D

Let me know when you decide to do this! You'd think I would just come across it but I'm a total OTF user. My time spent surfing the general discussion board is pretty limited.

#8 Posted by the_stegman (40085 posts) - - Show Bio
Because he's amazing, spectacular, and superior to all others.
Moderator Online
#9 Posted by SavageDragon (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

Spiderman is just Amazing...uh er Superior I mean.

#10 Posted by jobbernos (1522 posts) - - Show Bio

most spiderman fans are usually kids.

Avatar image for thevoiceofreason
#11 Posted by TheVoiceOfReason (751 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his power set but for me hes no Batman or Superman.

#12 Posted by KnightRise (4811 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

• He's an "every man" type of character, so most of us can relate to him. He's not an alien, he's not an eccentric billionaire... He's just a regular guy... sort of...
  • He has super powers (which we love the idea of super powers) but he's not ALL-POWERFUL and absolutely unbeatable. He has definitely limits. I honestly believe that a character with too much power becomes boring.
  • Personality! He has a unique and fun personality. We love that! Sure, we appreciate that Batman is dark and surly, and some love that Hawkeye is cocky, but Spider-man is FUN...
  • He's a good mix... He's strong, but not the strongest. He's smart, but not the smartest. He's fast, but not the fastest. He's a little bit of everything...

But even with all that, I think it still comes down to the writing... If you have a good writer, people will love the character. If you have NOT a good writer, well....

This

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
#14 Edited by turoksonofstone (14805 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man was very consistently written for 30+ years and was the face of Marvel. Who then shifted its focus toward Hollywood after the Mid-90's comic bubble burst.

*see the 345 part 90's clone-saga to see him go over shark.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
#15 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (7649 posts) - - Show Bio
@Timandm

THIS
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (45774 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: he's a regular guy with a genius level intellect that works for a multinational science think tank and has a supermodel girlfriend that owns her own club and an aunt that's also married to a millionaire that cruises around in a private jet

#17 Posted by Strider1992 (18501 posts) - - Show Bio

Thats an interesting observation actually. There really isn't any hate for him. Every now and then you see one or two but they are very very rare whereas you see quite a lot for characters like Superman, Batman etc.... What you've said in this video is true he is relatable I think the one reasons he isn't actually hated per-say is because whenever he meets an enemy there isn't very often a quick fix.

For example Superman can just move at near lightspeed and throw the guy into the sun or something like that to deal with problem. Batman can pull out an Iphone and shut down an alien spaceship or other things along those lines. While they are both good characters they have some very overpowered feats and that sometimes frustrates and disengages people. With Spider-man there is no quick fix. When he gets into a situation you can see he's actually pushing himself to find an answer which is something I don't find in many other characters.

Another reason there isn't much hate for Spider-man is because he walks that grey line between being mainstream and not being mainstream. There seems to be a trend that quite a lot of people follow and thats hating on popular characters just because they are popular. If we look at this in a worldwide view Superman is definitely the most well known followed by Batman, who is then followed by Spider-man. Now think about this. Who hates on the guy whos in third? There's nothing to hate as he isn't near the top he is spared the hate from the hipsters who just want to hate on the guys who are on top. Which to me is one of the reasons some people might say they dislike Spider-man but very few say they actually hate him. Even though he isn't at the very top he's still in the top 3 comicbook creations thus he has a lot of exposure so when you look at it in this light Spider-man has very very little negative publicity. Its not seen as hip to hate him because he's not top but he's also incredibly popular because he is popular.

Another reason is simply because he is relatable to kids at a younger age thus people grow up with that sense of nostalgia. Superman and Batman are both grown ups in their animated series Spider-man is not (why do you think DC made Young Justice instead of a program consisting of adult characters like the JLA? And why do you think it was so popular?). He's generally a 15 year old or maybe a bit older so put yourself in a kid's shoes would you rather watch the adventures of adults or someone your age who suffers with the same problems you do? The answer is generally the latter. Not to mention Spider-man is a much lighter style character than Batman and Superman. Both Batman and Superman are orphans not many young people can relate to this (at least I hope not). So I can pitch the same question again put yourself in a younger person's shoes who would you relate to? The people who's parents were murdered or the character who still has a motherly figure watching over him and grounding him when he does things wrong? Again the answer is the latter because younger people watching it think "Oh crap my mum does that to me too when I do something wrong" so you're essentially bridging the gap between the gap slightly between Spider-man's fantasy life and the observers real life. It puts young people in a position were they think If Spider-man can get grounded, bullied, strike out with women and do things wrong and make the wrong choices then why can't they be Spider-man? Which is exactly what he was designed for he was made so people could see how his life goes and think "There is no reason (aside from the powers) that I can't be the same as Spider-man." The same cannot be said for someone who's parents were murdered in front of him or a superhuman alien who can fly round the world in less than a second. Spider-man is also popular with older audiences due to the fact he is still quite reality driven for example when Peter got the job at Horizon he was very excited about it and couldn't think about anything else. Anyone picking up that book who knows what its like to be starting a new job knows exactly what hes feeling which is engaging for the older audience. Even though he's got superpowers he's still nervous about starting a new job which again bridges the gap between fantasy and reality because it makes you think that if someone who can lift a car and dodge bullets is nervous about something as normal as that it makes you feel connected. So the main reasons there isn't much hate for Spider-man is:

• There are no easy fixes for his problems making him engaging to read about.
  • Due to his life being close to reality both young people and adults can relate to it.
  • He is engaging to both adults and children as he suffers with problems both faced or will face at one point or another
  • Due to his overall popularity position it isn't in anyone's interest to hate on him so he is spared all the unnecessary hate from hipsters that characters get simply because they are top.
  • He is a lot more relatable to a younger audience who then grow up still clinging to that nostalgia they felt for the character when they were a kid which makes people want to catch up with what he's doing now and keep following him.

Throw in the fact he's funny, has an interesting powerset, his unfading desire to do good, a great costume, a brilliant rogues gallery and supporting cast and you've got what you see today.

@TheAcidSkull said:

In the marvel universe, there a re a lot of powerful characters, but even so, none are the equal of spider-man. I love the Hulk, but he is sometimes overshadowed by the awesomeness of spider-man. Peter Parker is one of Marvels greatest heroes. The words " with great Power comes great responsibility" had a great impact on me, because it's completely true. These words are the core to who spider-man is, his whole carrier revolves around on uncle ben's lesson. Peter Parker teaches us that no matter what the cost, you must always try to make the right decision, he shows us what a real hero is, He demonstrates the principles of a brave and noble warrior. Besides spider-mans bravery and Responsibility, there is one more thing that is very likable about his character, his sense of humor, he always managed to make me laugh no matter what the situation. Moreover, spider-man, even though he is cheerful, is a very tortured soul, his girlfriend died in his hands by one of his greatest enemies,and he blames himself for the death of Gwen stacy and his father figure uncle ben. And last but not least, Spider-man is loved by almost everyone in the world because he is just a likable and lovable character. Nerdy, Witty, and Brave, spider-man will always be one of my favorites.

This is also true.

#18 Posted by Timandm (3393 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Timandm: he's a regular guy with a genius level intellect that works for a multinational science think tank and has a supermodel girlfriend that owns her own club and an aunt that's also married to a millionaire that cruises around in a private jet

Yes, exactly! A regular guy... LOL!!!

Well, I did say "sort of." And:

1: Working for the think tank is still a fairly recent development... (I've been reading Spider-Man comics since the 70s.

2: He doesn't have a girlfriend at the moment. The last girlfriend he had is a cop... Carlie Cooper.

3: There's something about Aunt May and Jameson that sort of weirds me out... Not sure what it is...

#19 Posted by Razero (339 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm genuinely worried about what's going to happen in ASM 700. That should tell you how much I care about the character.

I like characters from all over the Marvel and DC universes, but for me, Spider-Man>>>>>>>>All of them.

Avatar image for speedforcespider
#20 Edited by SpeedForceSpider (945 posts) - - Show Bio

Spider-Man is an extremely likable character. His sense of humor in tough situations and heroism are a great trait of his. He isn't the most overpowered hero and that's one of the reasons why I like his character so much. I feel his powers and fighting style are the coolest also. In my opinion, he is the greatest hero of all time and wears a great costume.

#21 Posted by Malevolent1 (1100 posts) - - Show Bio

Stan Lee's original premise behind the creation of Spider-Man was in the tradition of characters that had already become popular at Marvel, such as the Fantastic Four and The Hulk. These characters had "feat of clay", like the OP indicated..."a down to earth guy...". Stan also mentioned that he hated the annoying teenage side-kick that was popular at DC (or National Comics as they were called back then...). Why not make that type of character the feature character. He was his high school's biggest "wall flower"; the biggest nerd and the last one to invite to a party, if at all. Since most kids were not jocks or on the cheerleading squad, or Prom King and Queen, etc...many could relate. Ironically, Flash Thompson, who picked on Peter something fierce...was Spider-man's biggest fan.

Peter Parker was a superhero that most could relate to right off the bat, simply put.

#22 Edited by Dayvid3 (919 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

Yeah this too, plus...

He helps people. So many of the superpowered 'heroes', and I ranted a little a week or 2 ago on this, just seem to beat up other super powered people. They don't feel like they care about helping so much as flexing their muscles. Spidey does

#23 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7703 posts) - - Show Bio

Always wondered this myself. IMO, he's the most generic superhero you could think of, may be the proponent of everything 'good', 'noble' and 'patriotic' of America, but i find him boring. Relatable shimatable. "One-note" is the first adjective that comes to my mind when thinking of Spidey.

#24 Posted by TrueMoonchilde (2020 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

This.

#25 Posted by Timandm (3393 posts) - - Show Bio

@Dayvid3:

Yeah this too, plus...

He helps people. So many of the superpowered 'heroes', and I ranted a little a week or 2 ago on this, just seem to beat up other super powered people. They don't feel like they care about helping so much as flexing their muscles. Spidey does

YES! Lately it seems that comics are all about super powered "heroes" all fighting each other and creating a mess of New York City...

• Civil War
  • Schism
  • AvX
  • Wonder Man goes a little crazy and attacks the Avengers. Now he's sorry and wants to be on the team again.
  • Magneto attacks the X-Men... Then joins the X-Men... Then attacks the X-Men... Then joins the X-Men...
  • The Scarlet Witch comes back and naturally all the good guys have to beat the snot out of each other

The list just goes on and on... Sometimes it seems like the only one still fighting actual crime is The Punisher... (and the super heores think HE'S crazy...)

#26 Posted by dirtytree332 (530 posts) - - Show Bio

cause hes the best damn superhero there is

#27 Posted by Michaelbn (2142 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he WAS because of what others said but right now he is not those things he was.

#28 Posted by Dogzee (123 posts) - - Show Bio

Everybody saying the same thing... Makes zero sense to like a made up superhero by trying to find relatablilty, Batman breathes air and works a 9-5 during the day just like me! He's so cool. Spider-Man alright to me, far from the top of my list.

#29 Posted by King_Krown (1177 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

Everybody saying the same thing... Makes zero sense to like a made up superhero by trying to find relatablilty, Batman breathes air and works a 9-5 during the day just like me! He's so cool. Spider-Man alright to me, far from the top of my list.

Eh,makes zero sense to you. Everyone gets into things for different reasons. I don't read comics,watch movies, or play games for relatability. I'm just enjoying the story/world. However,I'm not going to knock people for finding relatability in these things.

#30 Posted by Dogzee (123 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by King_Krown (1177 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for benjamin_poindexter
#32 Posted by Benjamin_Poindexter (887 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

Bats is less believable as a character. In a world full of metahuman bad guys, he would have been dead within a month.

Avatar image for despero_z_amazo
#33 Posted by DESPERO_Z_AMAZO (238 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is the face of Marvel.

#34 Posted by Richubs (3398 posts) - - Show Bio

He's an average everyday guy trying to be someone more

#35 Posted by Darkthunder (795 posts) - - Show Bio

Comedy

#36 Posted by Supermanthor (13725 posts) - - Show Bio

He has his problems while still Haveing a superpowers

#37 Posted by Dogzee (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee said:

Bats is less believable as a character. In a world full of metahuman bad guys, he would have been dead within a month.

Not when he hides behind the super friends and abuses his technology.

@richubs said:

He's an average everyday guy trying to be someone more

Average guys can't lift 10 tons+ and dance around bullets. He wasn't even average before his powers he was below that :P

Superman as Clark Kent is a standard person... And so are a lot of other heroes with civilian aliases until they put on a mask to become icons and symbols so I dont see how that is a valid reason for Spiderman to be special.

#38 Posted by Richubs (3398 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee: Peter's personality and life experiences along with the stuff he deals irl are more relatable than any other hero.

Others are very dark or have lived a dark life.

So does Peter but he's a kid with other problems too.

#39 Edited by Dogzee (123 posts) - - Show Bio

@richubs said:

@dogzee: Peter's personality and life experiences along with the stuff he deals irl are more relatable than any other hero.

Others are very dark or have lived a dark life.

So does Peter but he's a kid with other problems too.

Personality? What did you just speak for an entire population by saying that everyone who is a fan of Spiderman acts similar to him? He's pretty awkward, bit of a loner, righteous, and humorous but only when behind the mask. As for life expierence, his life is filled with tragedy and inconvenience specifically his identity, his aunt, girl troubles, death. I guarantee you that is a ton of other characters, you really think none of them have touched upon losing someone, or got caught up with girls, financially struggling and such

Not really... Peter isn't the only character who doesn't have some traumatic event mold him and he's not candidate for easiest life either.

I think it's that because Spiderman is Marvel's poster boy and is like really mainstream that people just take a liking to him, and all 360 trillion of his spider clones

#40 Posted by GateOfBabylon (3447 posts) - - Show Bio

He's a lot more relatable.

A young science nerd getting bitten by a spider who's funny > An alien who looks exactly like a human sent in a spaceship from an exploding alien planet and has godlike powers

#41 Posted by Richubs (3398 posts) - - Show Bio

@dogzee: Actually his personality is actually bits and pieces of things everyone finds in common with.

Here's the thing. A lot of people say that Spiderman is relatable to them. Some people, like you don't feel so.

That just means he's not relatable to you but still relatable to a nice proportion of the population.

He's not really relatable for everyone (like you, again). But to me and everyone else who say he's relatable he is in fact relatable.

A lot of characters have some tragedy to shape them up. Mostly it's a parent's death. But the things Peter does in his real life, delivering pizzas, trying to pay his rent, trying to live a normal relationship and maintain a beat friend is why a lot of people like him.

Another reason is that he is very sympathetic.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#42 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1067 posts) - - Show Bio

Very relatable figure with a lighthearted personality.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
#43 Posted by FireStarLord73194 (4612 posts) - - Show Bio

I never liked him growing up due to the fact he seemed very gimmicky, like he needs to be in NYC to be a superhero. He becomes less of a threat without buildings to swing from and stick to

#44 Posted by chuckwolf (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's the greatest super hero of all time... 'nuff said.

Avatar image for strongerthanrin
#45 Posted by StrongerThanRin (278 posts) - - Show Bio

yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6e6a1ed23a2
#46 Posted by deactivated-5c6e6a1ed23a2 (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he's funny, has actual flaws that don't go away in a single issue/run, is one of the most relatable dudes out there as far as character behaviour goes, actually cares about his family, has movies in his bag which are mostly good, doesn't beat his vilians simply be being/getting stroner, has struggles, one of the best villians as whole.

I'm sure someone can write an essay about why he's likable, but as far as I go, these are things that come top of my head.