Why do people hate Captain Marvel?

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mister_Surreal

Simple question, why do most people seem to despise her so much? Not only the movie version, but also the comic book version.

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Because they're toxic "fans" who hate everything.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because civil war II mostly.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a comic book character, I've never hated her, but then again, I've hardly read any of hers.

As for her MCU version, I think it looks just bad. Brie Larson looks like she's just phoning it in.

I've said this probably 50 times before and I'll say it again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope I love Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. I just don't think I will.

Space_Coyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Carol was a lot more fun when she was just Ms. Marvel

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

This is a big reason many people hate her, I think she will be a better character in the movie tho

IAmTheLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the movie character will be better than the comic character. My favorite version will probably continue to be Earth's Mightiest Heroes version.

I'm excited to see her solo movie but I'm not excited about her inclusion in End Game because I don't want a new character to come in and outshine the original characters. Thor finally had a good team up movie, and I'm hoping Hulk gets some shine, but it's going to be tough when there's a stronger, faster, more cooperative, less dangerous new teammate. I probably wouldn't worry about this too much but I hated the last arc of Justice League, ruined the movie for me.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Tomkatie

I’m holding out judgement on her MCU version until I’ve seen the movie. MCU hasn’t steered us wrong for the most part, so I’ll wait and see

As for her comic version, it’s because I’m a toxic “fan” who hates everything

EDIT: Her outfit and hair is not a problem. Honestly, her suit is kinda dope, and the whole “Carl Manvers” thing is bullshit

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Civil War II she was literally written as a facist and seemingly like purposely put in the wrong. Marvel tried to make her their flagship character, but during CW II made her as unlikeable as possible. It wasn't like CW where there were arguments for both sides, Tony was clearly right in CW 2. Otherwise, people(myself included) generally like Carol. She's a good character and her books are fine.

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They pushed her to the fronts completely unnaturally. Pretty much all of a sudden she become as respected Captain America from being a b lister.And keep getting a power boost without zero explanation.

I really liked her Ms.Marvel/Warbird years, best reason i don't like her and i think most feel the same way is that unnatural flagship that came out of nowhere.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unnatural push, Civil War II, her haircut (I kid you not), and rumors that she'll be the most powerful hero thus far in the MCU.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In b4 ANAD(where she became Mary Sue of Marvel or flagship character), she wasn't really recognized as much of character in comics. And for the record, she was not the real Captain Marvel. And I don't like Legacy characters. If they really wanted to make other characters to shine then Marvel should go for the minorities rather Legacy characters.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Richubs

Because Brie Larson made various SJW comments and given that Marvel is pushing her to be the new face of MCU people are worried that Marvel is going to become SJW plus the trailers have been average.

And her comic book version is also not very good so there's that too.

The majority is hating her because they think its cool and have no idea where the hate is actually coming from.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Do they hate CM? Or do they just not enjoy poor writing?

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

@jashro44 said:

Because they're toxic "fans" who hate everything.

As a comic book character, I've never hated her, but then again, I've hardly read any of hers.

As for her MCU version, I think it looks just bad. Brie Larson looks like she's just phoning it in.

I've said this probably 50 times before and I'll say it again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope I love Brie Larson's Captain Marvel. I just don't think I will.

Comic book fans gotta be mad about something

Unnatural push, Civil War II, her haircut (I kid you not), and rumors that she'll be the most powerful hero thus far in the MCU.

In b4 ANAD(where she became Mary Sue of Marvel or flagship character), she wasn't really recognized as much of character in comics. And for the record, she was not the real Captain Marvel. And I don't like Legacy characters. If they really wanted to make other characters to shine then Marvel should go for the minorities rather Legacy characters.

@kevd4wg said:

In Civil War II she was literally written as a facist and seemingly like purposely put in the wrong. Marvel tried to make her their flagship character, but during CW II made her as unlikeable as possible. It wasn't like CW where there were arguments for both sides, Tony was clearly right in CW 2. Otherwise, people(myself included) generally like Carol. She's a good character and her books are fine.

lol every single one of these point is legit

also some angry youtubers making constantly video and mocking her

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simple question, why do most people seem to despise her so much? Not only the movie version, but also the comic book version.

Well, coming out of nowhere to be among the most powerful heroes sounds like textbook Mary-Sueism, a pitfall in which the later Star Wars movies brutally fell in. I fear they will try to shove down our throats another perfect, character-less woman dressed up to the neck (because sexyness is bad, you see). Gee I can't wait for this era to be over.

I have got nothing against the convulted 616 character itself.

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think they rather Thor or Hulk to be as powerful as they claim she is. I think she is just fine.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Vertigo-

Because she was bland before Civil War 2, being pushed as Marvels response to Wonder Woman (and failing to catch on) and during Civil War 2 people hated her because she was essentially a fascist, arresting and detaining people without tangible evidence while blatantly violating people's right to due process .... and after Civil War 2, Marvel is still trying to make her super important, and she's still not catching on, despite the attempt to force her on us.

Carol is just bland, at best.

Now, people may not agree with me, but this is my reasoning

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

For several reasons. The ones that come to mind right now are:

- Her power level. The fact that she has been stated many times to be one of the most , if not the most, powerful characters in the MCU, is something that not a lot of people like. Especially since this make them feel that their favourite characters are sidelined.

- The push. It is true that Marvel has been trying to promote the character for a while now in the comics with less than successful results. A lot of fans feel that this is just something agenda-driven.

- Her character in the comics. Most people thought she was bland at best before CW2 but after that, most don't like her.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

What happened in CW2

Avatar image for deactivated-5edaa8b959055
deactivated-5edaa8b959055

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol was a lot more fun when she was just Ms. Marvel

I'm not excited about her inclusion in End Game because I don't want a new character to come in and outshine the original characters. Thor finally had a good team up movie, and I'm hoping Hulk gets some shine, but it's going to be tough when there's a stronger, faster, more cooperative, less dangerous new teammate. I probably wouldn't worry about this too much but I hated the last arc of Justice League, ruined the movie for me.

They pushed her to the fronts completely unnaturally. Pretty much all of a sudden she become as respected Captain America from being a b lister.And keep getting a power boost without zero explanation.

I really liked her Ms.Marvel/Warbird years, best reason i don't like her and i think most feel the same way is that unnatural flagship that came out of nowhere.

Unnatural push, and rumors that she'll be the most powerful hero thus far in the MCU.

In b4 ANAD(where she became Mary Sue of Marvel or flagship character), she wasn't really recognized as much of character in comics. And for the record, she was not the real Captain Marvel. If they really wanted to make other characters to shine then Marvel should go for the minorities rather Legacy characters.

@nucleon said:
@mister_surreal said:

Well, coming out of nowhere to be among the most powerful heroes sounds like textbook Mary-Sueism, a pitfall in which the later Star Wars movies brutally fell in. I fear they will try to shove down our throats another perfect, character-less woman

I have got nothing against the convulted 616 character itself.

@magian said:

For several reasons. The ones that come to mind right now are:

- Her power level. The fact that she has been stated many times to be one of the most , if not the most, powerful characters in the MCU, is something that not a lot of people like. Especially since this make them feel that their favourite characters are sidelined.

- The push. It is true that Marvel has been trying to promote the character for a while now in the comics with less than successful results. A lot of fans feel that this is just something agenda-driven.

- Her character in the comics. Most people thought she was bland at best before CW2 but after that, most don't like her.

@richubs said:

Because Brie Larson made various SJW comments and given that Marvel is pushing her to be the new face of MCU people are worried that Marvel is going to become SJW plus the trailers have been average.

And her comic book version is also not very good so there's that toom

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jashro44

@gxrevs06: There was an inhuman that could see into the future so carol started to arrest people before they committed crimes. It was later revealed that this inhumans powers weren't always right but carol didn't stop. It ends with carol punching tony into a coma by accident.

To add insult to injury recently in Aaron's avengers carol said to tony "I'm not apologizing for what I did. It's your fault for pushing me that far" or something along those lines.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its amazing when ppl bring up the CMB fans don't like strong female leads-
Like isnt WW one of the most popular? The issue is when characters just suck. Look at Jyn Erso Vs Rey (i think her name is).

You see the difference? I'm not even gonna get into it.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By GXrevs06

@jashro44 said:

@gxrevs06: There was an inhuman that could see into the future so carol started to arrest people before they committed crimes. It was later revealed that this inhumans powers weren't always right but carol didn't stop. It ends with carol punching tony into a coma by accident.

To add insult to injury recently in Aaron's avengers carol said to tony "I'm not apologizing for what I did. It's your fault for pushing me that far" or something along those lines.

I just started reading the latest captain marvel comics and this seems well out of character and her and Tony are depicted as best buds.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jashro44

@gxrevs06: Well as I said my reading has been limited in recent years. I haven't really read her ongoing.

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't comment on the mcu version BUT the comics version is a uptight fascist who feels more like super power enforcer than an actual super hero beyond that marvel tried pushing her as they're wonder woman wen there are so many other females in marvel comics that deserves that push WAY more than her