Why do people forget Blade is the first Marvel trilogy, Black Lead Hero, and R rated Marvel Film?

• 73 results
sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

Many people seem to forget that Blade was the first Marvel Movie franchise. Not the MCU or Spider Man/X-Men films. Why?

Many people forget Blade was the first black actor lead film, not the progressive Black Panther film... why?

Most people seem to think Deadpool was the first successful R rated Marvel movie... WHY!!!!

Seriously... wth. Thoughts?

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By the way, Wesely Snipes > any other Marvel Black Actor. Except maybe Idra Elba lol. Wanted to get that out there.

Coming to a theater near you!

Blade vs Asgard!!!!

lol

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why do you think why? Blade sucks.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jashro44
  1. Because it isn't associated with the modern era of comic book movies so it slips from there minds.
  2. Plus Blade doesn't have a connection to a well known team like the avengers or the X-men. Which again causes general audiences to not associate it with super hero films.
  3. Regarding the black panther and blade comparison the fact Blade was rated R is why people aren't thinking of it as a black super hero movie because the significance of black panther is mostly the impact it will have on the children. That is why people are raising money for kids to see the film.

Not saying it doesn't deserve its credit for the things listed in the OP but its not hard to understand why people think of deadpool or black panther over blade.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

Because it isn't associated with the modern era of comic book movies so it slips from there minds.

Damn shame.

Plus Blade doesn't have a connection to a well known team like the avengers or the X-men. Which again causes general audiences to not associate it with super hero films.

Damn shame it needs to be Avengers or X-Men to be popular.

Regarding the black panther and blade comparison the fact Blade was rated R is why people aren't thinking of it as a black super hero movie because the significance of black panther is mostly the impact it will have on the children. That is why people are raising money for kids to see the film.

Not saying it doesn't deserve its credit for the things listed in the OP but its not hard to understand why people think of deadpool or black panther over blade.

The issue is not why people think OVER Blade, but why people make claims like Deadpool was the first SUCCESSFUL R Rated CBM when thats a lie, or claim BP is the first black lead CBM now which is a flat out lie. Its lies. Blade 1 and 2 were block buster money making films and had both of those stipulations as a Marvel film. Annoying to be honest with modern media agendas IMO.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Because people forget about blade. Its been a long time since Blade came out. And I don't think people think of it as a super hero film because modern super hero films are so different.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very few people think of Blade as a superhero character. He doesn't wear a colorful costume and is associated with vampires, a common urban fantasy monster that is widely used in a huge number of non-superhero driven stories. To the non-comicbook reading audience Blade is sitting alongside the likes of True Blood and Twilight, not Superman and Spider-Man.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very few people think of Blade as a superhero character. He doesn't wear a colorful costume and is associated with vampires, a common urban fantasy monster that is widely used in a huge number of non-superhero driven stories. To the non-comicbook reading audience Blade is sitting alongside the likes of True Blood and Twilight, not Superman and Spider-Man.

@jashro44 said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Because people forget about blade. Its been a long time since Blade came out. And I don't think people think of it as a super hero film because modern super hero films are so different.

So critics and media sources are allowed to make false claims because they are too stupid to do research on this Marvel Film that had Marvel in the opening credits of it? Is that a good excuse of fair?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

The most obvious reasons I would say is because:

• He's a seriously obscure character. He came out of Tomb of Dracula not a guest appearance in Spiderman or X-Men.
  • He's not a traditional superhero in spandex.
  • The story is not traditional superhero stuff, not in the comics and not in the movie.
  • The movie does not play at all like any superhero that came before. And the only really similar CBM I can think of is Dredd.
  • But most of all, this was a period of time where Marvel was so unsure of itself and this movie, that it didn't even have it's logo on the opening screens of the first movie. So most people who watched the first movie had no idea they were even watching a comicbook-based movie.
Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Royal_Warrior

Yeah been bugging me too, media just do whatever suits there agenda

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad Im not the only one.

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, I do remember it :)

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't forget its just most people don't care.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He's a not very well known character, both comic book wise and media. And quite frankly the movies themselves aren't that good.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Supermanforever

@sirfizzwhizz said:
@royal_warrior said:

Glad Im not the only one.

Blade triology is underrated as hell. Was one of the favorite moves back when it first came out when i was a kid. I still like it more than many marvel movies. It has its style and Wesley Snipes was fantastic for the role.

The underrated part probably comes due to the fact that Blade is not one of those pop culture iconic superheros we see nowdays. Still own and love that triology.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz:

I never gave them permission to do anything. You posited questions in your original post and I have answered them. There's really nothing about the Blade movies that would suggest he's a Comicbook superhero rather than an urban fantasy vampire hunter, so unless people know of his rather obscure source material they won't know Blade was a superhero movie.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By sirfizzwhizz
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So critics and media sources are allowed to make false claims because they are too stupid to do research on this Marvel Film that had Marvel in the opening credits of it? Is that a good excuse of fair?

You seem to be taking this personally....People aren't perfect. They make mistakes. Its not a conspiracy.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Blade feels more like an action-horror film than a comic book movie. I mean, it's probably closer to M.I.B. than Black Panther in that its roots are in comics, but most people don't associate it with being a comic book movie. When it was made back then not feeling like a CBM was an important element because CBM's were not accepted by the mainstream audience, although Blade certainly helped break through that barrier. For a long time, unless you were Batman or Spider-Man, CBM's had to hide their comic book-ness in order to be made and marketed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c60dc252a2af
deactivated-5c60dc252a2af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because publicity and marketing for Black Panther.

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Beceuse:

• his movies came prior to Marvel's pretty much monopolization of CBM branch of the industry
  • his movies are average
  • his movies are not as family friendly as MCU movies
Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He's not part of the grand meme scheme

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade 2 is one of my favorite comic movies of all time. It has a perfect balance of sci fi, action, horror, and super hero movie goofiness.

It's better than most of the Marvel films in my opinion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I don’t think people forget, I think some people just don’t know. I saw it in theaters but I’m 32 and a lot of CBM fans are younger.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By slimj87d

To add to other points that were pointed out here, children are the ones that really drive this kind of industry. Little do you know, merchandise is a huge reason why a movie is promoted more and kids love toys man.

One movie ticket to a child can lead to $100s spent on toys, clothes, blankets, etc.

Blade being rated R doesn't help generate this kind of money. Therefore he doesn't get as much exposure.

There are more kids than there are adults. And children become fanatic over things more often than adults do.

BTW, I was a huge fan of the movies growing up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade 2 is one of my favorite comic movies of all time. It has a perfect balance of sci fi, action, horror, and super hero movie goofiness.

It's better than most of the Marvel films in my opinion.

I agree.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

EICHHOLTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because Wesley didn't pay his taxes.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29 JediXMan  Moderator

Many people forget Blade was the first black actor lead film,not the progressive Black Panther film... why?

Excuse me, sir, but I believe you have forgotten an earlier film.

No Caption Provided

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator

Idris Elba acts circles around Wesley Snipes, Luther solos.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Revan-

@jedixman said:
@sirfizzwhizz said:

Many people forget Blade was the first black actor lead film,not the progressive Black Panther film... why?

No Caption Provided

Excuse me, my good man:

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for saiyatoniansage
SaiyatonianSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan- said:
@jedixman said:
@sirfizzwhizz said:

No Caption Provided

Excuse me, my good man:

No Caption Provided

Meteor Man is still beaten by decades. Look at the sentence again, and realize it was 'first black lead in a film', not superhero film :)

jashugan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Modern man doesn't remember that blade was a superhero

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Because Blade 3. It killed the rest of the franchise and dragged the franchise into the aybss.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short answer is because it's not MCU.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By poeticwarrior

Same as everyone forgetting Elektra as the first solo female superhero.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade 2 was so good ...

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The simple answer is that most people just don't know blade is a comic book movie. It's not like it's a conspiracy to keep Blade down.

There are some movies people have no idea are based on comic books or graphic novels. Road to Perdition, A History of Violence, Snowpiercer. I'd bet most general audiences had no idea Constantine was based on comics. Constantine is actually a good comparison to Blade in that regard. Neither were really promoted as comic book movies.

Anyway, I love Blade. MF's always tryna ice skate uphill.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@jedixman: @revan-: @theonewhopullsthestrings: I dont think Meteor Man counts. Was it ever a comic book.

Spawn and Steel beaten out Blade actually. Though both films harmed black CBMs more than anything, but they did indeed came before Blade and Panther.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: @revan-: @theonewhopullsthestrings: I dont think Meteor Man counts. Was it ever a comic book.

Spawn and Steel beaten out Blade actually. Though both films harmed black CBMs more than anything, but they did indeed came before Blade and Panther.

It was a comic. Marvel Made it.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revan-: no shit. I will have to read it.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Why was everyone cool with Catwomans race change, but not human torches?

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jonez_

@sirfizzwhizz said:

By the way, Wesely Snipes > any other Marvel Black Actor. Except maybe Idra Elba lol. Wanted to get that out there.

Pssshhhh nah.

Chiwetel Ejiofor, Sam Jackson, Don Cheadle, Lupita Nyong'o, Forest Whitaker, Mahershala Ali

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonez_: i dont even know the other actors outside Sam Jackson.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hard to say no to Halle Berry in a catsuit playing Catwoman.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@spambot: So you would have been cool with her playing Black Panther? ;-)

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen Selina with a darker complexion prior to Halle. Besides Halle is a little more racially ambiguous.

And also it wasn't only that Torch was black, the outcry had roots in the fact they changed his backstory to accommodate his race.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it has a lot do with how people received it when it first came out.

Now, I was too young to remember them when they came out, but from what I've heard, mainstream audiences didn't even know Blade was a superhero movie, or even that Blade was a comic book character. They thought the Blade trilogy was just a horror trilogy. That is, above of all, because of Blade's marketing. It was not marketed or presented a superhero movie, but a horror movie. I think if Blade had been marketed and presented as a superhero movie instead of as a horror movie, it would be more acknowledged today.