Why do people dislike the Raimi Spider-Man films?

• 58 results
DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I'd like to start by saying I am a huge fan of Spider-Man, and a fan of all 4 films featuring him that have been released. I like them all but to varying degrees. I like Spider-Man 2 the best because of the outstanding character development, I loved the story, the action was great particularly the train fight which I think is the best superhero action scene of all time along with a fantastic villain and decent enough acting, I also loved the inclusion of Spider-Man no more story arc. Spider-Man 2 is my favorite Marvel movie and my third favorite superhero movie behind Nolan's first two Batman films. Spider-Man 1 is a great film too though a little outdated. I also did enjoy The Amazing Spider-Man and Spider-Man 3, although they aren't particularly great movies I can enjoy them for what they are.

You see pre-2012 it seemed like w everyone loved Raimi's first two movies. Granted 3 while watchable was a big disappointment, but they were still generally liked except for the occasional "eh, not a huge fan" but now since The Amazing Spider-Man came out it seems like everyone whines about how cheesy Raimi's films were and how they are outdated and terrible. I don't get it because I found TASM to be just as cheesy if not a bit more. But I didn't care because to me Spidey was always a cheesy character, in fact he owns his cheesiness and uses it as a weapon of psychological warfare. Even then Raimi's movies aren't unbearably cheesy. To me it seems that pre-2012 people loved Raimi's first two films, post-2012 ALL of the Raimi trilogy is generally disliked.

So I'm asking, do you like Sam Raimi's Spider-Man. And why do you like/dislike them?

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I. It's all subjective $#!%

II. Because, Spider-Man 3, tHat's wHy.

III. THey probably never watcH tHe original 3 wHen tHey first came out.

MetH tHinks tHe original Star Wars films are as cHeesy as tHe new one's. But everyone likes to act like tHe original 3 weren't silly, cHildisH, or cute.

June'sVeryOwn

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th: Very true concerning Star Wars, the old trilogy are quite cheesy as well but I don't mind because it's fantasy. I don't think Episode V is very cheesy, it is arguably the darkest of the six it also happens to be my favorite but not for that reason. I honestly prefer the classic Star Wars but I dig the new ones too.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I dont dislike them, I just like Amazing Spider-Man more.

Garfield Peter >>>>>Tobey Peter

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PeppeyHare

@the_stegman said:

I dont dislike them, I just lime Amazing Spider-Man more.

This, at least regarding the first two films.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By danhimself

I used to like them but looking back at them I realize that it was just because I had nothing else to compare them to....at that time we were just lucky to get a Spider-man movie at all...but now....I can see the flaws in them and the flaws outweigh the positives of them

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are unnecessarily corny.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DareHulk

@wolverine08: I wouldn't say so, but I suppose it's subjective.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I used to like them but looking back at them I realize that it was just because I had nothing else to compare them to....at that time we were just lucky to get a Spider-man movie at all...but now....I can see the flaws in them and the flaws outweigh the positives of them

this.

Also

• Peter and MJ's relationship was horrible. MJ was handled horrible (villain bait in all 3 movies)
  • Green Goblin's costume was dumb.
  • Everything about Spider-Man 3.
  • Maguire/Dunst/Franco all leave a lot to be desired

Doc Ock and JJJ are the only things I like about those films.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wolverine008

@darehulk: They are still pretty good, but they are moments of unnecessary cheese.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I can agree to that. Garfield was a much better choice for Peter than Tobey but overall the classic trilogy had better villains, better story, better character development and better action....I personally find it odd that people will disregard a movie that has great story, great villain and great action just because it is " corny".

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself said:

@wolverine08 said:

this.

Also

• Peter and MJ's relationship was horrible. MJ was handled horrible (villain bait in all 3 movies)
  • Green Goblin's costume was dumb.
  • Everything about Spider-Man 3.
  • Maguire/Dunst/Franco all leave a lot to be desired

Doc Ock and JJJ are the only things I like about those films.

I've often said that the only characterizations that they got right were JJJ and Aunt May...I guess Doc Ock was ok but I didn't like the whole "my arms were controlling me" bit

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@danhimself: I don't even care if its confusing, they should bring JK Simmons back for JJJ.

He was freaking amazing.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DareHulk

@wolverine08: Agree to disagree, I found Spider-Man 2 especially to be the most well rounded of the 3 because it finds the best balance of camp, action, drama, comedy and emotion. It balances these elements better than any other CBM I've seen.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@m3th said:

MetH tHinks tHe original Star Wars films are as cHeesy as tHe new one's. But everyone likes to act like tHe original 3 weren't silly, cHildisH, or cute.

June'sVeryOwn

They were cheesy but unlike Episodes 1 and 2 they had interesting plots. That's just my opinion though.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By danhimself

@danhimself: I don't even care if its confusing, they should bring JK Simmons back for JJJ.

He was freaking amazing.

definitely...there's no way that they could find someone better than him

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator

@darehulk said:

@the_stegman: I can agree to that. Garfield was a much better choice for Peter than Tobey but overall the classic trilogy had better villains, better story, better character development and better action....I personally find it odd that people will disregard a movie that has great story, great villain and great action just because it is " corny".

I kinda disagree with most of it. As far as villains go, Osborn was...decent, Ock was great and...that's it. better character development? Name one character who developed in the entire trilogy, and no, Harry's little "I hate spidey...nah, I like him again" thing doesn't count as character development. As for action, I liked how ASM fought like an actual spider using his webs, and I can't wait to see more of it in the sequels.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DareHulk

@fallschirmjager: I thought Willem Dafoe was outstanding as Osborn, yes his Goblin suit was whatever but as Norman he was stellar. Ock, May, Harry and JJJ were outstanding too. I think Tobey and Kirsten and probably Topher Grace were average to bad but it depends on which scenes in which movie.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DareHulk

@the_stegman: I'm talking specifically about Parker's character arcs, Goblin, Harry and Ock all have very tragic and good character arcs as well.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@the_stegman said:

This. Spider-Man 2 was/is fantastic though. The first one is ok, and the third one was a heap. Green Goblin is one of my favorite Spidey villains too, I wanted a better movie with him.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@darehulk said:

@fallschirmjager: I thought Willem Dafoe was outstanding as Osborn, yes his Goblin suit was whatever but as Norman he was stellar. Ock, May, Harry and JJJ were outstanding too. I think Tobey and Kirsten and probably Topher Grace were average to bad but it depends on which scenes in which movie.

DaFoe was good, but the mask ruins it. We can't see any of his facial expressions when he's suited up and there is no emotion transferred.

Ock was good. May was good...but that character is easy to do.

Harry sucked.

JJJ was great.

my opinions

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DareHulk

@fallschirmjager: I actually liked Harry, I thought his performance in the first two was very good. In the third he was hammy-er (if that's even a word) than usual but he owned it and he delivered a performance I would describe as "gloriously goofy" sorta like Chris Hemsworth playing Thor.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far everything is Spiderman 1 and 2 has out done Amazing Spiderman. Amazing Spiderman wasn't Dark Knight Horrible/Watchmen horrible but it was good either. It was just OK.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DareHulk

@manchine: Wait...did you say Dark Knight was horrible? Or did I misunderstand your statement.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_stegman  Moderator

@darehulk said:

DaFoe was good, but the mask ruins it. We can't see any of his facial expressions when he's suited up and there is no emotion transferred.

Ock was good. May was good...but that character is easy to do.

Harry sucked.

JJJ was great.

my opinions

JJJ was my favorite character in the movies. If I had to make a list of greatest comic to film character adapations, he would be on it.

Also, I can't help but think that Harry's death could have been avoided if that damned butler would have told him his dad was the Goblin and killed himself two movies ago.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for terrybogard2014
TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

probably because of spider-man 3 leaving a dump in everyones mouth.I liked the first 2,Thought TAS sucked,but interested enough to see how the sequel plays out

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Black_Arrow

They have the best JJJ ever

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By kidchipotle

Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 were amazing, haters gonna hate. Spider-Man 3 was good too for most of it but emo Peter was the downfall. But I admit, bad casting for MJ and Eddie Brock.

I thought Tobey was a better Peter than Andrew. Tobey had the look. Also, I liked the Spider-Man look more than Amazings.

I still liked Amazing, don't get me wrong, but until I see Amazing 2 and 3, I can't pass full judgement.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darehulk said:

@manchine: Wait...did you say Dark Knight was horrible? Or did I misunderstand your statement.

Yes, Dark Knight was horrible. Not as bad as Watchmen but really bad.

tupiaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because people apparentley don't know who PP is as a character. The first spider-man movies capture the essence of Spider-man much better than ASM.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manchine: Well, all I can say is I agree wholeheartedly with you that SM1 and SM2 are better than TASM, but wildly disagree as far as TDK goes.

DareHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee: Agree with everything you posted except I like Garfield specifically in the role more than Maguire.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haters. SM1 and SM2 was great SM3 3/5. ASM 2.5/5

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By spidershamrock

SM1 4/5 SM2 5/5 SM3 didn't exist in my mind

Best on-screen Spidey would be a combo of Tobey's morals and Andrew's look and cockiness in the mask. TASM needs a SM2 subway-esque moment as some point

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know people generally didn't like them. I really liked them.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RustyRoy

I loved them.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have no clue, I thought they were okay but im not really a Spiderman fan so I dont know much about him.

I freaking hated Amazing Spiderman though, one of the worst movies ever. And the lead actor reminded me of a neurotic 14 year old.

Avatar image for theblackpeterparker
TheBlackPeterParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked them when I was a kid, but now that I think about it they were corny, and organic web shooters. >.<

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#42  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Kause they're kool with a k

KingAres109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same here.I thought the movies were OK.That was before I started reading comics.And the only thing I liked about SM3 was Venom.Lol..And I do wish for PP to be more wisecracking.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By BlackLegRaph

I liked both the Raimi movies and Amazing Spiderman. I like Spiderman 2 best, but didn't like the "arms talking to me" point.

All in all, the first movies were cheesy, but they still managed to keep me more excited about the movie than the Amazing Spiderman. Also, the "line up the construction cranes" scene was also pretty corny...not as bad as emo Peter, but still up there.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklegraph: One More Day was less of a disaster than Emo Spider-Man

I wonder how much Tobey got paid to wear mascara?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think the original trilogy is better in every way.

ASM felt too much like a love story than an actual superhero movie. And it felt like they were trying too hard to be different than the original trilogy that they made moments where I couldn't help but facepalm because they were so stupid.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The spiderman trilogy is the best set of marvel movies we've had imo (maybe thats because I was a big fan of them when I was a kid dunno)

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the 1st Raimi Spidey is great. The 2nd, imho, is amongst the greatest if not THE greatest cbm....

...while Spidey 3 is just ..?