Why do people constantly criticize Dragon Ball villains for not having enough depth?

• 66 results
Avatar image for onlyoneempereor
OnlyOneEmpereor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

Joker is a walking plot device. He’s a bull**** character. The less you know about him, the cooler he is.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly I don’t know why people rate the joker so highly, maybe it’s the movies...

Magneto is the best villain. His motives are based in realism, he’s got cool powers, but he isn’t smary and seemingly unbeatable like Thanos or an overpowered anime villian...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don’t get me wrong I used to rate joker highly, but as I get older I see through the poor story structure and writing. There’s never been any really depth to Comicbook joker...

Lex Luthor is the best DC villain.

If you want great anime villains look to Inuyasha’s main villain Naraku(or however the hell you spell it).

solaris6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because they are cheesy, lack depth and are pretty much a parody of what a villain is.

muh i destroy Earth and Saiyans i wanna be powerful

Y2G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Majin Vegeta was great and had layers. Cell has a bit of complexity to him. Frieza, for as entertaining as he was, was only a brat groomed to rule the universe.

Asurakj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Asurakj

Lmao. DB villains and depth in the same sentence

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just for the record I don't think a good villain necessarily needs depth. But DB characters not having much depth is a valid criticism IMO.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some people seem to think a villain must have depth to be good.

A couple of my favorite villains in fiction are Anton Chigurh and Palpatine (mainly counting just the original trilogy) and those guys don’t really have much depth to them

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Whether you want to argue they are "good" villains or not -- I think we can all agree that they are more or less one dimensional and severely lacking in depth

Personally, Cell is among one of my favorite villains in fiction because of his badass character designs and bushel of quotable lines and interesting origin, but he lacking in actual depth. That doesn't make him a bad villain, but the absence is still there.

finalbeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because most don't have consistent background stories or unique personalities maybe

Avatar image for deactivated-5dbe38e11d7b7
deactivated-5dbe38e11d7b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just collecting these salty DB tears

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vishop_ said:
@jashro44 said:
@dcandmarvelcomicfan said:

@jashro44: how do you describe Cell and Friezia's motivation?

Cell wants to be the most supremely perfect and most powerful being in the universe. Frieza wants to rule the universe.

Not really. Frieza too wanted to be supreme being(and that's one of the reason he transformed quite a no times). IIRC He couldn't bear the fact that he was being humiliated by Goku(who is more powerful) and therefore he tried to kill him. Cell on the other hand was like u said.

OT: Eh, every Anime antagonist is one dimensional and I don't think Joker has been written the same way every time. The general consensus thinks it that way but that's not true. Different writers wrote him differently and that's a fact. I can name quite a number of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Cuz they don't have! but they're still awesome!

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only depth db villains have is in their bungholes, and that’s only because of how badly goku rails them every time he gets a new transformation.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people are underrating DB villains, you don’t have to be incredibly complex to be a entertaining villain. I think Freiza and Zamasu have interesting character, and it’s explained in this video why they work so well way better than I can.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Characters like joker aren’t interesting at all though, I have no idea why anyone would think so beyond because they liked TDK. At least he isn’t in the comics, I haven’t seen his newest movie yet

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 takenstew22  Moderator

I think people are underrating DB villains, you don’t have to be incredibly complex to be a entertaining villain. I think Freiza and Zamasu have interesting character, and it’s explained in this video why they work so well way better than I can.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Characters like joker aren’t interesting at all though, I have no idea why anyone would think so beyond because they liked TDK. At least he isn’t in the comics, I haven’t seen his newest movie yet

I like that guys' videos.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There’s nothing “deep” at all about Frieza, Cell or Buu. That doesn’t mean they aren’t entertaining or good villains but we can’t pretend there’s any sort of depth to those characters at all.