Why do people consider Batman crazy?

• 71 results
#1 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

He lost his parents and he was inspired to make sure that never happens to anyone else so he dedicates his life and fortune to that cause. He knew that Gotham was corrupt so he wanted to get the people who can break the law with no consequences but he can only do that if he was trained so he did.

That doesn’t sound insane that makes him sound very dedicated.

“Oh but he wears a giant bat costume!!!” Yeah a giant bat costume that’s bullet proof and is more expensive then majority of vehicles. Why is it weird that he wears a bat costume you don’t see anyone call green arrow crazy for what he wears or black canary or nightwing. Why is Batman the one labeled as crazy for that reason.

“Oh but Bruce Wayne is the mask and Batman is the real person, he must be crazy” So he’s crazy because his real personality is of a caring, cold, and dedicated man that’s putting on a mask for the public to hide his life of crime fighting. Im sorry but that just means Bruce isn’t someone who likes to sleep with every pretty lady or likes to have extravagant parties.

I don’t see how he’s crazy.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
#2 Edited by FinalKingThanos (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

I think alot of it comes down to the fact hes often written as though he fully became Batman and Bruce Wayne is more of an act than his true self anymore.

In his solo issues hes often shown as always completely obsessed and driven to fight crime at all times and it's often flirted with the idea that he enjoys the battles with villains and the continuous cycle as much as they do for example the joker.

#3 Edited by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@finalkingthanos: What’s wrong with being who he really is? He’s Bruce Wayne but the Bruce Wayne he puts on in public isn’t the real Bruce Wayne, it’s just a cover. He’s truly who he is when he’s at home with no one else but his closest family and friends, the one in public is the fake not the one in the cave.

So he’s a bit obsessive about his passion, who isn’t?

#4 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio:

That's not always the case though he might still be Bruce and do great and kind things but its constantly talked about that hes still in complete pain and wants to just be Batman smashing criminal skulls in lol it's even been joked about in lots of issues like the one the trinity reveal there identity with the lasso and batman says I'm batman because to him that's who he is now.

I'm not really sure what you are wanting to argue and make a big rant about but if you've ever read any batman story since the 90s this the usually the direction they hint towards even with simple things like he can never truly be happy and still be Batman and so on.

#5 Posted by JoshTaku (371 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it has to do with the fact that he is so dedicated with fighting against crime and injustice that he would do anything to put a stop to it. Barman is a character in the moral grey area. He believes that the end justify the means. He is also too keen to every detail and every possibility to the point that he came up with counter-measures on how to beat the justice league members if they somehow turn rogue. Some will see that as an act of a crazy person but Bruce Wayne sees it as a necessity.

#6 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@finalkingthanos: Yeah again that’s who he really is Bruce Wayne is actually distant, caring, and a determined person. Just because he isn’t all sunshine’s and rainbows like his FAKE self doesn’t mean that he’s suppressing his emotions to be Batman.

Yeah he’s not truly happy because he’ll never be able to actually stop all crime but he still tries, why would he be considered crazy for that? People knows certain things are pointless but we still try.

#7 Posted by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

> guy that thinks criminals are pieces of shit

> takes them to jail

> villains break out

> kill hundreds of people

> take them to jail

> repeat

That's literally Batman. A guy that refuses to kill Villains because muh morals even though he's basically killing hundreds of people by letting them live.

So yes, he is crazy, you'd have to be retarded to replicate something like that, honestly.

#8 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio:

I'm not saying Batman is full on crazy but he does often swing that way is my point even a while back with the bat and cat stuff Selina notes more than once that she knows if it came down to justice or love Batman will always chose justice.

#9 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshtaku: Moral grey area? Justice by any means? Batman would never hurt an innocent or kill someone to get justice. Batman tries his best to help people.

Why would having contingency plans against some of the most dangerous people on the planet be crazy, they may be his friends but he isn’t stupid he know that some people change or get mind controlled in a world full of telepaths.

#10 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: So I guess almost every hero is crazy then.

#11 Edited by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@finalkingthanos: What’s wrong with that he’s willing to throw away his own feelings to help people and bring justice.

#12 Posted by FinalKingThanos (3262 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: looks like were going in circles, if you dont believe anything the stories tell you then that's fine it's how you enjoy the story personally that matters anyway.

#13 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@finalkingthanos: I believe what you’ve been telling me but all things he’s done doesn’t prove that he’s crazy.

#14 Posted by kyrees (13595 posts) - - Show Bio

he has PTSD from witnessing his parents getting killed and could have gone to therapy for it but instead chose to use it as some kind of fuel for his vigilantism. i won't call that crazy, i'd call it stubborn and innately damaged.

#15 Edited by mimisalome (5880 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who wears their underwear on the outside is mentally compromised in my opinion.

Batman made it worse by securing his briefs with belt.

That's just pretty disturbing.

#16 Posted by JoshTaku (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: I should have specified I had the DCEU batman in mind while saying that. So, if going by comics then that changes things but not the intent of what I said. DC batman has put himself on the line of fire to deliver justice against those who seek to escape from it. He has been shot, set on fire, blown up, pushed off buildings, and yet he keeps coming back. He also continuously involves himself in battles between godlike beings. This in of itself can be viewed by most people as insane as anyone with a sound mind would not put themselves in dangerous situations as batman. Sure, the same can be said about the other justice league but batman is still only human.

And about the contingency plans, yes it was smart of batman to think of it but those plans were still aimed towards his friends. Admittedly, the initial shock of finding out and knowing that batman has gone to such lengths would warrant them thinking batman to b crazy.

It's not really all that difficult to see why people think batman is crazy if you put yourself in their shoes. Seeing a man in a bat suit going up against mutated crocodiles and flying men, charging at hordes of criminals, and setting up defenses and plans for things that seem so far fetch, would really make you think he is crazy.

#17 Posted by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by JoshTaku (371 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@finalkingthanos: I believe what you’ve been telling me but all things he’s done doesn’t prove that he’s crazy.

You asked why people think he is crazy and we gave you reasons on why people might think that way but you argue with the intent of providing proof that he is crazy. Should have asked "proof that batman is crazy" or something.

#19 Posted by MAZAHS117 (13657 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#20 Posted by King-Ragnar (5184 posts) - - Show Bio

Because that's the way King wrote him to be.

#21 Posted by DeathandGrim (4929 posts) - - Show Bio

He dresses up as a bat and goes out fighting crime without a gun vs a lot of criminals with guns.

Any of that sound sane?

Avatar image for christianrapper
#22 Posted by christianrapper (6610 posts) - - Show Bio

You basically laid out all the reasons. He dresses in a giant bat costume. He trusts no one. He puts minors in mortal danger from the most dangerous of criminals. He isn’t all there. No sane person would put a child in danger from psychopaths and super powered criminals.

#24 Posted by Batvibe12 (6108 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is.

#25 Edited by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@mimisalome: To be fair a lot of superhero’s do that.

#26 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshtaku: Should’ve been more specific then “Why is Batman considered crazy for the things he does even though he lives in a world where everyone else does the same thing” everybody holds the Batman to the same standards as real life humans even though they don’t for everyone else. Green Arrow also tries to fight against god like beings and so does majority of street level heroes.

That seems to be more shock value then anything because Iron Man also does that against his friends but no one seems to call him crazy.

Also the reason I debate with you is that I wanna change your mind.

#27 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@christianrapper: Green Arrow dresses up as modern day Robin Hood. He puts a minor in danger(speedy).

Nightwing dresses up as a bird from krypton but allows his suit to show his butt. He puts minors in danger(majority of the titans, Damien).

Flash dresses up as a lightning bolt. Puts minor’s in danger( Wally, his kids)

Seems like something everybody does.

#28 Edited by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@DeathandGrim2: Yeah but like everyone dresses up with inspiration from something in his universe, why is it weird for him. He also has a reason he does that, he doesn’t just like Bats so much that he wanted to be one.

Also his suit is bulletproof with some of the highest most advanced tech on the planet. So it’s his suit but plus all of his gadgets vs a couple of mooks with guns.

Another thing every street leveler does the same but they’re obviously not crazy.

#29 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117: So does everyone else who dresses up as an animal have issues?

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
#30 Posted by The_Man_With_Questions (2786 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph: I think that the no kill philosophy is a bit silly, but in the case of Batman I feel like it's a bit understandable. It's implied that if Batman were take one life that he'd go off the edge, and there'd be nothing to stop him from taking the lifes of anyone he deemed a threat. When you consider the resources that Bruce has access to, as well as him being one of the smartest men on DC Earth, that could result in some serious issues.

Albeit, this mostly comes down to an issue with how absurd Batman is written at times. If we go by what's implied by the existence of the Batman Who Laughs, Batman with 0 morals could take down the Specter if he wanted to.

#31 Posted by Kidolio (1688 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_man_with_questions: See that makes more sense, if Batman says he can’t take a life because he’ll go of the edge then I’ll believe him, mostly because Batman can read himself very well. That would imply he’s a little unhinged.

I think that’s fine everyone does something absurd once in a while.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
#32 Posted by Ready_4_Madness (18864 posts) - - Show Bio

Even Batman himself knows he’s crazy.

#33 Posted by im_late (365 posts) - - Show Bio

Because he is. He is highly self-destructive and obsessed. Bruce Wayne died in that alley.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#34 Edited by christianrapper (6610 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: green arrow and the rest are not the subject of this thread. Listing other crazy behaviors by other characters does not really help. It’s basically like saying the riddler isn’t crazy for leaving riddles because the joker always tells lame jokes.

#35 Posted by Hypnos0929 (7048 posts) - - Show Bio

A sane man would've killed Joker 100 times over. Batman is insane

#36 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (5176 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph said:

> guy that thinks criminals are pieces of shit

> takes them to jail

> villains break out

> kill hundreds of people

> take them to jail

> repeat

That's literally Batman. A guy that refuses to kill Villains because muh morals even though he's basically killing hundreds of people by letting them live.

So yes, he is crazy, you'd have to be retarded to replicate something like that, honestly.

Those villains all still being alive literally entirely rests on the GCPD. Batman did 90% of the work to get them sent to trial, they don't HAVE to be sentenced to years in prison to break out. All of his villains are mass murderers and should have been sentenced to death the longest time ago. But nah, the GCPD dont want to do their job they literally get paid for.

Fighting these criminals isnt Batman's job. He doesn't get paid for it. So he does it by his rules, and if he has morals that the GCPD are aware of, they could at the very least do what Batman refuses to and kill these villains. But they don't. This is entirely on the garbage police force in Gotham that can't do shit right lmao.

It'd be one thing if he kept them in his own lock up and kept messing up and they kept escaping, but no, he puts it in the hands of the city. And they keep screwing up.

#38 Posted by Rockette (6699 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay:

No Caption Provided

Bravo! SOMEONE finally said it. FFS! I felt like I was taking crazy pills being the only one who sees this!!

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#39 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5229 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: Yeah, KF has super speed, that's wildy different than training a kid with no powers to fight crime.

And sure, Ollie might be a bit crazy too.

But Bruce has clear issues.

He allows murderous supervillains to live in an obviously corrupt and easy to escape insane asylum/prison and then returns them after they kill hundreds due to his unflinching "holier than thou" attitude.

He has Robin to risk his life daily and then once they retire/go dark and leave him/die he GETS ANOTHER KID TO DO THE SAME THING.

He has no balance. He's a billionaire that could restructure the entire city with his money and influence more lives than Batman ever has through funding and yet spends it all on gear to fight crime.

He channels all of his anger and emotion into beating up criminals and uses none of it any other time; that's hardly healthy. He's so paranoid that he has contingencies against all superheroes, that's pretty unhealthy.

He has PTSD from his parents (dozens of years ago) that fuels him DAILY to crusade around as a vigilante and hospitalize those who he deems worthy of such a punishment.

He doesn't even have a normal life, just a front for his insane counterpart. Bruce Wayne does nothing significant except cover for Batman during the day, he's barely a person.

#40 Edited by Jgames (8430 posts) - - Show Bio

Well the fact that he has kids join him in beating up criminal and being in danger at the very least constitute child endangerment and recklessness. Also being traumatized by his parents death is normal, as most people would, but that also something that a person should go to therapy for. Is not a bad thing to be mentally unstable, lots of people are. Being mentally unhealthy does not make you bad person. Also he even admit to being on the edge of being the same crazy people who would be at Arkham. He does not kill because, not just because he simply thinks it's wrong to kill, but because he thinks he would start murdering people left and right if he start killing people, where would he draw the line, and would he be the same as other murderers.

Also yeah in comic book standard what he does is noble but think about in real life. Think about Elon Musk saying he will master all the kung-fu he can and fighting criminal in a bulletproof halloween costume. We would call him insane even if his parent was death. He be better of realistically using his money to help the root cause of criminal, like poverty, education, maybe gun laws, etc. Which is why people do find Batman crazy, because in real life he would die in like two days. But is not, so is not as crazy as people like to say, but still pretty insane.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
#41 Posted by TheSpartanB345T (5229 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: Batman knows they are irresponsible. Regardless of whether it's his "job" or not, the RIGHT thing to do is to understand the situation and either 1) assist the police in keeping them locked up (he's a billionaire) or 2) realize that sometimes being an adult means that you have to take care of things that you aren't TECHNICALLY responsible for.

By that logic, Batman shouldn't even fight crime, because that's the GCPD's job. If he's already assuming the responsibility of one of their jobs to do the "right thing," then he's being willfully ignorant of the other areas that they need help in. Batman defines what his role in Gotham is; he's already illegal as a vigilante and is not limited by corruption or politics. It's hypocritical to assume one responsibility of another organization because they are doing a poor job (fighting and arresting crime) and then claim that they do not have to assume another responsibility that is also being poorly handled by the same exact corporation, which in this case is keeping the criminals from ever harming society again. If prison fails, Bruce either makes his own foolproof prison or kills them.

Besides, if Bruce is already "one kill away" from being a crazy mass murderer, then what type of hero is he?

#42 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (5176 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: Batman knows they are irresponsible. Regardless of whether it's his "job" or not, the RIGHT thing to do is to understand the situation and either 1) assist the police in keeping them locked up (he's a billionaire) or 2) realize that sometimes being an adult means that you have to take care of things that you aren't TECHNICALLY responsible for.

At the end of the day Batman's taking his own time out of his day to do something he wants to do without pay. Therefore he can do it on his own terms and by his own rules. If he decides to do 90% of the work but has 1 no kill rule to maintain his sanity, and has his own morals, then the irresponsible and incompetent Police Department should at least go the last 10% and not do what he won't do.

By that logic, Batman shouldn't even fight crime, because that's the GCPD's job. If he's already assuming the responsibility of one of their jobs to do the "right thing," then he's being willfully ignorant of the other areas that they need help in.Batman defines what his role in Gotham is; he's already illegal as a vigilante and is not limited by corruption or politics. It's hypocritical to assume one responsibility of another organization because they are doing a poor job (fighting and arresting crime) and then claim that they do not have to assume another responsibility that is also being poorly handled by the same exact corporation, which in this case is keeping the criminals from ever harming society again. If prison fails, Bruce either makes his own foolproof prison or kills them.

He has his morals. To do what's right and do something on your own accord sacrificing whatever it is you're already sacrificing shouldn't require you to sacrifice everything because someone else refuses to do what they need to do.

If I'm helping you do your group project, and Im getting nothing from it other than just helping you, but I tell you "Can you at least do the illustrations since you can draw? I don't like draeing" And you go "no", then place the blame on me for not doing the illustrations myself since I wanna "do what's right", that's not my fault. It's yours. You need to be responsible, and me doing whatever it is I'm doing for you doesn't automatically put the burden on me. Do your job. If someone is willing to go these extra miles to make your life easier, the least you can do is the little bit they ask you to.

Besides, if Bruce is already "one kill away" from being a crazy mass murderer, then what type of hero is he?

A hero maintaining his sanity? A hero doing what obviously the GCPD fails to?

#43 Posted by KanyeCosby (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

To be fair, a lot of Batman storylines themself, especially those dealing with the Joker seem to heavily imply that Batman may not be mentally stable.

#44 Posted by McFlicky (429 posts) - - Show Bio

I often look at batman and joker as being two sides of the same coin. The only real difference is, batman still believes in the law and joker doesn't. Batman is crazy, but he uses that crazy to try to help people.

#45 Edited by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: With that logic, catching criminals isn't his job either, in Comicbooks The Heroes and Villains are basically what actually run the world, so if he is going to do something that isn't suposed to be his job, he should atleast do it the correct way.

Because playing the cat and mouse game is what some of Batman's villains love, with which usually leaves a path of death, from people who are not involved.

#46 Posted by BatmanPlusJay (5176 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph said:

@batmanplusjay: With that logic, catching criminals isn't his job either,

It isn't. Lol

in Comicbooks The Heroes and Villains are basically what actually run the world, so if he is going to do something that isn't suposed to be his job, he should atleast do it the correct way.

He is doing it the correct way. He's literally apprehending and getting them sent to trial. Anything that happens inside that court room is out of his hands.

Because playing the cat and mouse game is what some of Batman's villains love, with which usually leaves a path of death, from people who are not involved.

Yup. So blame the GCPD for that. Batman has morals, the least they can do is cover the parts he won't do for him. Batman has no issue letting villains die, but if he's the one directly the cause of their death he cant have that.

#47 Edited by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay: If by the right way you mean letting a man that is insane escape over and over again, kill hundreds of people and then send him back to jail then i don't know how that is the "right" way, lol.

Everyone has morals, Batman is just nuts. Anyone in real life would at the end kill the villain, because while he's playing the good ol' moral thing, hundreds get killed. There's no excuse for that, he's not a good human being for doing that, he's either crazy or just dumb. There's no way around it.

"tHaTs nOt hIS jOB, bLaME tHe GCpD" tell that to Batman, who had equpiment that he gathered in order to kill heroes if they went rouge, so no. That IS his job.

#48 Posted by hypebeliever (80 posts) - - Show Bio

People consider Batman crazy because what he does would never occur in real life! Nobody would persist justice that much and have the ability to never cross their final line, nobody would be able to face godlike beings like Darkseid as human like Batman.

Also, Batman can't live without being Batman, he regard beating criminals at night as his duty and responsibility. Basically, it's just similar to a person addicted to drugs or what. He's addicted to being Batman.

#49 Edited by BatmanPlusJay (5176 posts) - - Show Bio

@baph said:

@batmanplusjay: If by the right way you mean letting a man that is insane escape over and over again, kill hundreds of people and then send him back to jail then i don't know how that is the "right" way, lol.

Batman's not "letting" them do anything. Like I've been saying, the GCPD's the ones not doing their jobs. They're the ones constantly letting them escape.

Everyone has morals, Batman is just nuts. Anyone in real life would at the end kill the villain, because while he's playing the good ol' moral thing, hundreds get killed. There's no excuse for that, he's not a good human being for doing that, he's either crazy or just dumb. There's no way around it.

Like Ive said in other threads. It won't stop at Joker. All of Batman's villains are mass murderers one way or another, Joker is just the most reoccuring one. Meaning if Batman kills joker but lets the others live because theyre "not as bad" he'd be a hypocrite. And who's he to decide which villains are bad enough if they're all taking lives the same? So if he kills Joker, he needs to wipe out damn near his entire rogue gallery. Punisher 2.0.

"tHaTs nOt hIS jOB, bLaME tHe GCpD" tell that to Batman, who had equpiment that he gathered in order to kill heroes if they went rouge, so no. That IS his job.

No, it isnt his job. Doesnt matter how you look at it. He decided to do it himself on his own free will and he can leave if he wants and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's not his job. It's his hobby.

#50 Edited by baph (2951 posts) - - Show Bio

@batmanplusjay:

Batman's not "letting" them do anything. Like I've been saying, the GCPD's the ones not doing their jobs. They're the ones constantly letting them escape.

Yes he is, because he knows they're going to escape. He can stop them from killing people but chooses not to, that "no lol is the police not doing their job so i get to shrug it off" doesn't work. Period.

Like Ive said in other threads. It won't stop at Joker.

And what's bad about that?

All of Batman's villains are mass murderers one way or another, Joker is just the most reoccuring one. Meaning if Batman kills joker but lets the others live because theyre "not as bad" he'd be a hypocrite.

Then kill them too lol, Joker might be worse, but they still kill innocents, so they should get executed aswell.

And who's he to decide which villains are bad enough if they're all taking lives the same? So if he kills Joker, he needs to wipe out damn near his entire rogue gallery. Punisher 2.0.

It doesn't take a 300+ iq brain to be able to decide who should be executed based on their crime history.

Yeah what about it? He is saving lives by killing them.

No, it isnt his job. Doesnt matter how you look at it. He decided to do it himself on his own free will and he can leave if he wants and there's nothing anyone can do about it. It's not his job. It's his hobby.

He literally takes it like a job, or something even more than that, so yes, it is his job. Period.