#1 Posted by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#2 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

I,m pretty sure yove seen how everybody is freaking out over Suicide Squad like they did with BVS after the shit reviews came out and vice versa the Dark Knight and the Avengers(Once the rave reviews came in)..So my question is why are critics with zero credibility and experience making movies in the movie industry..Able to sway peoples opinions and destroy a films box office with the swift of their pen or the stroke of their keyboard.

Just some food for thought.

"Critics are men who watch the battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors."

Earnest Hemingway^

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt^

“No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.”

“Every great film should seem new every time you see it.”

The point is not to avoid all Stupid Movies, but to avoid being a Stupid Moviegoer. It’s a difficult task, separating the good Stupid Movies from the bad ones. . . . ”

“Cinema, for me, has always been something like music composed with photographic images.

Roger Ebert^

#3 Posted by lubub55 (12878 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people don't want to waste their time and money on bad movies.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
#4 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

It didn't use to be that way a few years ago. That's why TF was able to, and still is able to bring in the big bucks.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
#5 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah...I'm not going to paint modern entertainment conglomerates with that heroic of a brush.

#6 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

Yeah...I'm not going to paint modern entertainment conglomerates with that heroic of a brush.

lmao..That would be foolish if you take it literally..Its just an analogy..Like don't throw stones if you live in a glass house or dont creep in the lions den etc..And Teddys just underlining the risk associated with any kind of endeavour specifically one that's usually critiqued by a professional critic..And movies specially big budget block buster have plenty of risk..Lively hoods are at stake with many of those movies..Studios and careers are at risk of crumbling when a string of box office bombs hit.

#7 Posted by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

It didn't use to be that way a few years ago. That's why TF was able to, and still is able to bring in the big bucks.

I guess Transformers like Pirates of The Caribbean is one of those franchises that arent really effected by bad reviews.

#8 Posted by darkonast (759 posts) - - Show Bio

@lubub55 said:

Because people don't want to waste their time and money on bad movies.

I've seen a lot of bad movies with good ratings and good movies with bad ratings , remember Sharkando has an 82% on RT , AN 82%! critics are heavily biased nowdays

#9 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:

I guess Transformers like Pirates of The Caribbean is one of those franchises that arent really effected by bad reviews.

It's because those franchises came out at a time in which people saw movies for themselves, or at least relied on the opinion of a friend, someone they knew and who had similar taste, not some random guy or gal on the internet.

#10 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:

lmao..That would be foolish if you take it literally..Its just an analogy..Like don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I got the analogy though I feel as though it is a tired one that is frequently doled out by athletes, filmmakers, musicians etc. in an attempt to delegitimatize critiques.

#11 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@youknowwhattodo said:

lmao..That would be foolish if you take it literally..Its just an analogy..Like don't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I got the analogy though I feel as though it is a tired one that is frequently doled out by athletes, filmmakers, musicians etc. in an attempt to delegitimatize critiques.

The legitimacy of a critic most likely will always be debated..Just the way it is.

#12 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

@petey_is_spidey said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@petey_is_spidey said:

It's because those franchises came out at a time in which people saw movies for themselves, or at least relied on the opinion of a friend, someone they knew and who had similar taste, not some random guy or gal on the internet.

Yea i guess social media changed the way people perceive critics..But people have always relied on critical opinions for movies, atleast to my knowledge..I remember watching a movie from the 1940s, where a group of people are looking through the newspaper for a movie to see, And they immediately check off the ones with bad reviews..So idk the influence of critics has been around for awhile.

#13 Posted by youknowwhattodo (2196 posts) - - Show Bio

@youknowwhattodo said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@youknowwhattodo said:

The legitimacy of a critic most likely will always be debated..Just the way it is.

True, but it's usually a very immature way of dealing with criticism, especially when it's thrown at a large group of people from a variety of backgrounds.

#14 Posted by StormShadow_X (16372 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people have no Minds of there own. I know two people who didn't see it because of reviews and both of them enjoyed it once seeing it and it wasn't the ultimate addition...

#15 Edited by silkyballfro94 (8673 posts) - - Show Bio

Idk. I guess people want some reassurance about a film, before they go spend their money. I think people go overboard nowadays though. Oh mah gah rotten tomatoes said it was bad.

The only critic I ever paid real attention to and liked was Roger Ebert. But he died years ago and I knew to never trust his reviews on superhero/cbm movies.

#16 Posted by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio

@jumpstart55 said:
@youknowwhattodo said:
@jumpstart55 said:
@youknowwhattodo said:

True, but it's usually a very immature way of dealing with criticism, especially when it's thrown at a large group of people from a variety of backgrounds.

Agreed..Its always idiotic to generalize an entire group of people...But when your out busting hump trying to earn your lively hood,And some guy writes a bunch of crap about you in a newspaper or internet article, calling you names, making up lies, coming to all sorts of random conclusions on why your product or effort sucks weather that be sports movies or whatever..One cant help but get pissed off..lol...Critics make great points sometimes, but other times their just trying to rip a ,couch athlete, actor ,director who ever to complete shreds.

#17 Posted by Jgames (8088 posts) - - Show Bio

Movies are expensive.

#18 Posted by the_stegman (40142 posts) - - Show Bio

Same reason people look up reviews on Amazon products or restaurants, or hotels. People don't want to waste money on stuff.

#19 Posted by Petey_is_Spidey (11547 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people have no Minds of there own. I know two people who didn't see it because of reviews and both of them enjoyed it once seeing it and it wasn't the ultimate addition...

#20 Edited by Mike_Fowler (4966 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkonast: good lord,will people STOP mentioning Sharknado?

A) it's a movie that's literally only praised for being, "so bad it's good"

B) there's only 17 reviews on the site, compared to other movies having a greater amount

C) the movie is more of a cult film

There's movies that can show that critics are "bias" Sharknado isn't one of them

#21 Edited by righteous300 (3975 posts) - - Show Bio

Critic reviews really only matter when it comes to comic book movies. In fact I would even go as far to say that critics and rotten tomatoes weren't as relevant until the CBM boom and now they're pretty much being fueled by fanboy stupidity.

#22 Posted by DarthAznable (16928 posts) - - Show Bio

Critic reviews really only matter when it comes to comic book movies. In fact I would even go as far to say that critics and rotten tomatoes weren't as relevant until the CBS boom and now they're pretty much being fueled by fanboy stupidity.

Basically this.