Why do comics use so many exclamation points?!!!!

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

In general, writers are told to never use exclamation points, no matter how emotional the dialogue is. Yet in comics, most word bubbles are filled with exclamation points. Often when the dialogue isn't even emotional. I wonder what the reasoning is for the constant use of exclamation points.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

Lets not forget the randomly bolded words, ridiculously annoying onomatopoeia usage, and frequently blocked out swear words ($#@*%).

All just little things that have been baked into comics for a very long time.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Jphu8414

To emphasize things...like when you're telling somebody you're going to kill them...to DEATH!!!

No Caption Provided

lol

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I remember Walt Simonson giving a reason:

One note about the routine use of exclamation marks in comics back in the day - I was told back when I asked about it myself that exclamation marks were used because the printing and the use of newsprint occasionally meant that a regular period didn't always print clearly, thus creating sentences that didn't end properly. The exclamation mark was more reliable. I don't know how true this is or how often periods didn't print with clarity, but I did have a sentence in one of my earlier issues of Thor print without an " 's " at the end of it, thereby completely reversing the meaning of the word balloon. This was corrected in the Omnibus, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

BB

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For Effect!!!!!!!!!

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

One note about the routine use of exclamation marks in comics back in the day - I was told back when I asked about it myself that exclamation marks were used because the printing and the use of newsprint occasionally meant that a regular period didn't always print clearly, thus creating sentences that didn't end properly. The exclamation mark was more reliable. I don't know how true this is or how often periods didn't print with clarity, but I did have a sentence in one of my earlier issues of Thor print without an " 's " at the end of it, thereby completely reversing the meaning of the word balloon. This was corrected in the Omnibus, but I was pretty annoyed at the time.

BB

Interesting.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Because commas are boring!!!!

Avatar image for batsymyplaything
batsymyplaything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphu8414 said:

To emphasize things...like when you're telling somebody you're kill to them...to DEATH!!!

No Caption Provided

lol

Best line ever lol!

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

Tradition.

in the early years of comic books periods would sometimes be skipped over by the printers, so an exclamation point would be more likely to survive the process, so Exclamation points replaced Periods as a more visible alternative.

Printing has become better, so they stick around mostly as a traditional stigma, but sometimes because the off brands aren't using super quality printing methods.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

BB

@husk said:

@manwhohaseverything:

Tradition.

in the early years of comic books periods would sometimes be skipped over by the printers, so an exclamation point would be more likely to survive the process, so Exclamation points replaced Periods as a more visible alternative.

Printing has become better, so they stick around mostly as a traditional stigma, but sometimes because the off brands aren't using super quality printing methods.

Interesting. I wonder if they stopped using them, if the average comic fan would feel something was missing, or was different. Thanks for the replies, and to @jphu8414 for the comic relief. I mean, comic relief!!!

DCrunstheShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do batman comics (or does DC do it in general) bold random words?

the exclamation points I understand, it adds excitement, style. But the bolded words make no sense. "thanks for the food Alfred. It tasted good"

i made that quote up but that's basically what they do. wtf?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FearTheLiving

@billy_batson said:

BB

While reading some Silver Age Marvel, one of the mail bag questions was this and this was essentially the answer.

SIDE NOTE: George R. R. Martin wrote to Fantastic Four and has a few published in the book. Thought I was making a huge discovery until I looked it up online and it was already known...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

BB

Very cool to know.

Faymousinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hate that they block cuss words. Damn you children!!!!!