Why didn't Marvel make a Captain Marvel movie in Phaae 1?

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Captainplanet
No Caption Provided

Why did they wait for 20 movies instead of making it as a Phase 1 or Phase 2 movie?

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rogueshadow  Moderator

Because Perlmutter was in charge until 2015.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because she is stronger than thanos and they wanted thanos to decimate àvengers so that their cast we go more than 100

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As much as you seeing people screaming and shaking their fists at the mere mention of Carol, the Captain Marvel name is more popular and well known among Marvel fans now than it was back in 2008 when phase 1 of the MCU movies started. Carol didn't even take on the mantle until about 2012 and Mar-Vel was not as popular as many of Marvel's other heroes.

People praise the MCU for their success using their lesser known characters and I do too, but I think it's still important to acknowledge that, with no longer having the movie rights to Spider-Man, FF, and X-Men, the MCU did use first the most popular characters they had left. They didn't start with GOTG, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange, they started with Iron Man, Hulk, and Captain America.

The reason the MCU waited so long on a Captain Marvel movie is the same reason they waited so long on a Black Panther movie; they didn't think the character (at the time) was popular enough to risk making a movie about them.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because it didn't make sense.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because no one cares about her.

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:

QFT

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

hmm

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#9  Edited By KrleAvenger

Because that was 5 years before she even called herself Captain Marvel. The fact that MCU itself is twice as old as her new title is just sad. Also, nobody cares about Carol Danvers. Nobody cared then and nobody cares now. The only reason why they are making a movie about her is to prove how they support SJW. If they made a movie with actual character in mind about female, they would go with Black Widow right away. But because they needed planet busters, they are going with the one with Super Powers. Which still confuses me given that Carol is overall an extremely weak character but, each to his own I guess. And I can't wait for people to tell me how I'm sexist despite the fact that I just said how I support the idea of Black Widow movie.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Paytience

Because the Captain Marvel title was defunct until Carol took the mantle in the Kelly Sue Deconnick run in 2012...

...2012 being the same year that phase 1 ended.

What were they gonna base the movie on? A dead Kree before the Kree were introduced? Or maybe the rape of a relative c lister by her own son?

There wasn't a Captain Marvel in this generation yet, and Carol's character until then is a depressed alcoholic rape victim who spent most of her time in a coma, thanks to Rogue-a character in a competing franchise that Marvel doesn't own the film rights to.

That's why.

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: If people think that what you said is sexist they are literally too dumb to converse with.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Supermanthor

@krleavenger: @jay_z94: I mean no offence to CM. But they should have gone with Nova I mean with xandars destruction it would be perfect to have Richar Rider find the helmet learn about it in his solo and then help the avengers would make more sense imo

Or if they wanted to push carol have her character first fresh out in captain Mar-vells solo movie then spin her triology from it

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alavanka

Cuz she isn't that cool of a character, and Marvel needed to make us invest in the MCU first before pulling a quick one on us. Can you imagine that instead of starting MCU with an charismatic actor like RDJ, you started it with what we've seen so far from Brie Larson? Oooof.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supermanthor: Or Mar-Vell. Both Nova and Mar-Vell have at least some connection to Thanos in comics and are way more powerful than Danvers. And just like Danvers, they are space related heroes (actually Danvers is not space related at all, she just has few stories in space and her origin is related to aliens), but unlike Danvers, they have interesting stories and character development.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16 socajunkie  Moderator

Because in order to kick start a cinematic universe it makes sense to focus on characters more well known for maximum profit.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Supermanthor

@krleavenger: yeah agree how one can think carol as a cosmic hero is beyond me

On the hand yes those two are really great characters with some great stories . People actually begging for Nova since guardians one and I am one them lol

jay_z94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jay_z94

@paytience said:

@jay_z94: AKA...liberals.

Liberals aren't the same as the far left in the majority of cases.

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: I find her Black Widow a little bit of OP considering she literally was shooting Ultron robots with Tiny pistol.

Too bad Marvel nerfed her in infinity war and took her pistal away?

Dogzee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dogzee

@krleavenger: Sexist, I bet if she were male you would care.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainplanet: Yet, Hawkeye does it with a bow and arrow and you say nothing. Sexist pigs.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There wasn't a Captain Marvel in this generation yet, and Carol's character until then is a depressed alcoholic rape victim who spent most of her time in a coma, thanks to Rogue-a character in a competing franchise that Marvel doesn't own the film rights to.

That only happened in the 90's X-Men cartoon, lol.

Captainplanet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because that was 5 years before she even called herself Captain Marvel. The fact that MCU itself is twice as old as her new title is just sad. Also, nobody cares about Carol Danvers. Nobody cared then and nobody cares now. The only reason why they are making a movie about her is to prove how they support SJW. If they made a movie with actual character in mind about female, they would go with Black Widow right away. But because they needed planet busters, they are going with the one with Super Powers. Which still confuses me given that Carol is overall an extremely weak character but, each to his own I guess. And I can't wait for people to tell me how I'm sexist despite the fact that I just said how I support the idea of Black Widow movie.

On point 100%.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@captainplanet: they should have made a black widow and Hawkeye movie instead of iron man 2. Irin man 2 required a little more thought on their villains. Malcolm McDowell would have been a better and actual looking justin hammer.

RavenVice01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

@supermanthor: they should have made a Nova movie after GOTG or a Nova series at least

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They needed a buildup of more popular characters.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By The_Kidd

Because Marvel didn't start pushing her heavy utill 2012.

jake_fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not an A lister

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was no MeToo crowd to milk back then, just fat white neckbeards who now think they are oh so oppressed...

Avatar image for deactivated-5faef67d08995
deactivated-5faef67d08995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The question is why they haven't done She-hulk?

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Paytience

@krleavenger: Carol is overall extremely weak? Carol is one of comparatively few characters that actually have on panel feats of planet busting...

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the plan was obviously to use the best known characters for solo movies in phases 1-2 which would lead to forming the Avengers and getting the ball rolling.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hyiena said:

The question is why they haven't done She-hulk?

I think that one is actually because of some weird legal reasons with the Hulk movie rights in general.

Avatar image for itouchedtheboat
ITouchedTheBoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah I agree with this.

the logical and best idea would be to give Black widow a solo movie, people loved her in Ironman 2, she played a huge role in gathering the Avengers, yet she's completely overlooked and considered useless. If you ask me it's actually fairly sexist that they didn't give her a movie and instead just kept on creating male-led superhero movies until just now.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Bag_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cgi wasn't fully developed back then as evident with all those hulks movies

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jay_z94 said:

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@itouchedtheboat Feige actually wanted to make a Black Widow movie for quite some time, but due to production schedule and some disagreements between the producers, they just could not do it. As far as I know, Black Widow movie is confirmed. We are just not aware of the details like the release.

@paytience Technically she is as much of a planet buster as A New Hope Luke Skywalker is a moon/planet buster due to destroying the Death Star. He destroyed it by firing at the hole that leads to it's core, using his ship. Carol on the other hand created a chain reaction with her powers, which just ended up destroying the planet. She did not do it with her raw power or energy projection/damage output.

@supermanthor Indeed.