Why did Spider-Man: Homecoming get so much hate?

• 55 results
solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

Obviously, it's the toxic fanbase.

First of all, I loved Homecoming, and thought it was a million times better than Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2. And I honestly think it's the best Spider-Man movie besides Spider-Man 2.

I think the first reason people hated it was because of diversity. While diversity and representation is good, I will admit that they took it a little bit too far by making MJ half-black (which I actually didn't have much of a problem with) and making Flash Thompson Hispanic. However, that didn't exactly hurt the movie, and it's certainly more realistic than the original comics, which had literally all of his friends be white.

Then, they hate it because he's a kid. Since when is that a bad thing? I felt like an older, more mature Spidey was a little bit overused, and having a 15-year-old Peter Parker was actually quite refreshing and would certainly allow the movies to cover more ground and tell more stories.

Also, they hate it because he's an Avengers fanboy. But honestly, that's actually a good thing. While Spider-Man's adventures took place in a world without Avengers or pretty much any other hero, a Spider-Man with a huge connection to the heroes is, like his youth, refreshing.

So, I just don't know where the hate for it is coming from.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By krisbishop  Moderator

Mostly nostalgia-stricken fanboys who will hate anything Spider-Man as long as it's not Tobey Maguire.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701
deactivated-5bc2c7b81b701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I didn't notice any hate.

Beyonder97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude you reaching there was no such thing as hate toward the movie

solar_nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm talking about on this website. Every time i see a thread about it it's full of people saying dumb stuff about it.

Beyonder97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beyonder97 said:

I'm talking about on this website. Every time i see a thread about it it's full of people saying dumb stuff about it.

People on this website can be illogical sometimes

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is definitely some hate for this movie on this site. I think a lot of it is salt over how well received the movie was and a desire to be contrarian against what the majority of people say.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fight scenes sucked; Spider-Man didn't punch or kick the entire time.

The story and characters were good though.

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's nothing special about the amount of hate this movie gets. It's about the same as any other reboot, remake or whatever.

Bandedessinee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where is it getting so much hate? Not everyone is going to like it. I didn't like it because Spider man was basically Iron man's sidekick in it. Like couldn't Peter at least create a decent suit himself. The high tech suit from Stark was really unnecessary and Iron man had too much presence in the movie. The only thing that was really good in the movie was Vulture tbh. Shocker as a secondary villain was a complete letdown.

Thedarkking25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Thedarkking25

Hes a idiot

His motivation is wrong.

He lacks responsibility.

He didnt learn a dam thing, And the ending was so stupid he should have made his own and refused tony's suit and aunt may knows hes Spider-Man wtf they did all that for a cheap gag oh wow.

His peter was written so bad, Tobey and andrew peter had better development the him in their first movie and they had a orgin.

The movie was boring with crap fighting and subpar swinging.

Vulture was the only good thing about the movie to me and the actor was wasted on this stupid coming of age story.

Mj was a dumb character like why is she nicknamed mj?

Why is betty a 15 year old? TF

Aunt may reduced to a joke.

Why was tony in the movie?

Why is peter so immature even after uncle ben death, Did he not learn anything?

Th movie has a lot problems to get hate just like how people have problems with tasm 1 and hate on that too, I hate the movie but not toxic hate level.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Aren’t the negatives cited about the movie the same grievances usually directed toward most MCU movies? Outside of this website’s weary DC vs Marvel animosity, I haven’t heard of much hate. Does it have its detractors, yes but no movie is universally loved.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On this site is where it is hated mostly, only because Snyder didn’t direct it and it doesn’t have a brooding gloomy Spider-Man. 93% Rotten Tomatoes and making almost 900mil at the box office should be enough indication that the movie wasn’t hated.

My only problem with the film was I wanted a little more action and maybe higher stakes. But I get it how they wanted to keep Spider-Man grounded and be the friendly neighborhood hero for now.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespartanb345t: IIRC, Spider-Man the animated series in the 90’s Spidey didn’t throw not one punch or kick for the whole duration of the show.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People hate this movie? ?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When will people realize that everyone has difference preferences?

Avatar image for deactivated-5be9a9d48ee87
deactivated-5be9a9d48ee87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Although it was good, it was full of problems.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's an okay movie in general, I guess, but it's a horrible, pathetic excuse for a Spider-Man movie. It accomplished nothing but show that Feige, Watts, and Marvel Studios have even less understanding of the character than the out-of-touch executives at Sony.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc8daab15c82
deactivated-5bc8daab15c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would have preferred an older, experienced Peter, one that's already got a job, married to Mary Jane, Aunt May out of the picture, one who was able to keep his secret because he's just that damn good at what he does, who wasn't a fan of the Avengers or Iron Man, and more importantly created his own gadgets.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#20 JediXMan  Moderator

... what? This movie was pretty well received.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a pretty mediocre movie imo.

felgrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated it cuz I was misleading by the title.....was looking for some smut by the same name.....?

UnitedStateX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get why people kept asking why a popular film is hated. I get it if someone asked that for a relatively unpopular film, but this? There will always be a minority who don't like the movies. And the minority is disproportionately more vocal given the equal opportunity and ease of communication on the internet.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cattlebattle  Online

It's not hated per se, it's just sort of lackluster considering the hype behind the fact that the MCU finally was making a Spider-Man movie.

This guy gives a pretty good rundown...

Loading Video...

Arc_Conductor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know it was hated THAT much. I thought it was the best since (insert previous Marvel movie) came out. Although it wasn't as good as (insert subsequent Marvel movie)

samhmd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not hated. Some diehard holdouts who worship the Sony movies hate stuff like Spidey not having all white classmates and having to co-exist with others heroes, that's all.

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not hated, but I vastly prefer Tobey over Holland.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Then, they hate it because he's a kid. Since when is that a bad thing? I felt like an older, more mature Spidey was a little bit overused, and having a 15-year-old Peter Parker was actually quite refreshing and would certainly allow the movies to cover more ground and tell more stories.

Funny thing is I feel exactly the opposite. I feel like whenever Marvel does anything new with Spider-Man, be it new comic series or various media, it is almost always with him as a teenager again. I don't even think Homecoming is a bad movie, I've just seen Spider-Teen just starting out so many times now and I've seen it done better by other media (specifically Spectacular Spider-Man). Plus my favorite runs of Spider-Man in the comics are when he's an adult, so I have a preference for Peter growing up already vs. Marvel's refusal half the time to let him grow up..

StellatedColt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hes a idiot

His motivation is wrong.

He lacks responsibility.

He didnt learn a dam thing, And the ending was so stupid he should have made his own and refused tony's suit and aunt may knows hes Spider-Man wtf they did all that for a cheap gag oh wow.

His peter was written so bad, Tobey and andrew peter had better development the him in their first movie and they had a orgin.

The movie was boring with crap fighting and subpar swinging.

Vulture was the only good thing about the movie to me and the actor was wasted on this stupid coming of age story.

Mj was a dumb character like why is she nicknamed mj?

Why is betty a 15 year old? TF

Aunt may reduced to a joke.

Why was tony in the movie?

Why is peter so immature even after uncle ben death, Did he not learn anything?

Th movie has a lot problems to get hate just like how people have problems with tasm 1 and hate on that too, I hate the movie but not toxic hate level.

Exactly.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solar_nerd: You're only hearing the minority there. No reason to create a thread that explains your confusion.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was disappoitning and ruined a lot of Spider-Man's mythos and supporting characters

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jrupert1

@samhmd1 said:

It's not hated. Some diehard holdouts who worship the Sony movies hate stuff like Spidey not having all white classmates and having to co-exist with others heroes, that's all.

Well that's quite the ridiculous claim. You don't need a great understanding of Spider-Man to see the movie has quite its share of problems. Even in general terms such as the action being pretty underwhelming, and the writing being haphazard. But there are also flaws as it pertains to a Spider-Man story. To fans of the character those problems become even worse, naturally. Especially when several of the flaws are tied to key characters of the movie. You'll see a more concentrated criticism here than say in the public because... well doesn't a place called comicvine seem like a likely place for a higher ratio of Spider-Man fans?

It's not that there are several departures, as that can be as overlooked about as easy as people who don't know any different. If it's done well and a certain heart of the source material is carried. But what is put in place isn't done up to par. The characters in the movie aren't really characters, something very important to Spider-Man (and good stories in general). The video @cattlebattle posted covers this pretty well.

A lot of people like the movie and that's valid, but it's every bit as valid to not.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@jedixman said:

... what? This movie was pretty well received.

Avatar image for thespartanb345t
TheSpartanB345T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By thatduderox

It's praised for the most part. On this site, however, I do see a fair bit of criticism directed at it. Most of us on here tend to be overly critical about movies. I'm not saying we go in looking for flaws, but if we see them, we do tend to obsess over them more than the general audience who are just looking to be entertained.

Wolviesnikt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because It's bad.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Hate? Most people I have seen, online anyway, seem to at least like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c607e387a408
deactivated-5c607e387a408

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk. It’s weird. All the sudden people seem in love with the Garfield and Tobey versions. Both of which I remember were heavily criticized. Then a new Spider-Man comes out and everyone hates everything he’s in. I think people feel loyal to the one they were young with. Or perhaps saw in a good part of their life. But Homecoming is one of the best Soiderman films. Top 3 easy. It really was a good storyteller with Peter having to LEARN. Yeah he’s an idiot now... which is why it’s gonna be so amazing when he isn’t.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#39  Edited By Stahlflamme

Did it get much hate?

92% on rottentomatoes with critics average rating 7.7/10, 88% audience score average rating 4.2/5, boxoffice 334million domestic. 8th most profitabe mcu movie out of 20. Third most critically acclaimed movie tied with Avengers and Ragnarok.

The hate is unreal... Congratulations you have made a thread whining about absolutely nothing. Buhu your favorite movie is not everyones absolute favorite movie and your first move is to go and balme it on the diversity in the movie, good job on abusing actual problems just to try and guikt trip people into declaring their love for something you subjectively liked a little more than some other people. Congratulations again you're part of the problem.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm a guy who respects everyone's opinions but this movie is hated for the most stupid reasons. A movie that should be hated is The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MarlboroMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never heard someone hating it before this thread.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was okay but there's a lot to complain about. I find the Parker/ Stark relationship very annoying. Also, Aunt May being hot is weird and changes their entire charming dynamic.

Thedarkking25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_: tasm 2 is hated it has been for 4years but even tasm2 had Peter learn something and he lost somebody close to him

Essem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Essem

Homecoming is well structured, decent to good script, decent dialog etc etc. It will and did get good critic reviews because there is nothing inherently bad with the movie.
But for me and i think many others it is just sort of bland. Theres nothing there that had you at the edge of your seat, nothing spectacular. Its a good movie for critics but for fans it lacks the xfactor. Thats how i feel anyway.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because a large number lf people on comicvine are a very particular set of comicbook fans more obsessed with feats over making a good film.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the movie was really cheesey, had crappy action, didn't utilize Spider sense, made Spiderman far to incompetant in battle as he was far to reliant on Stark tech

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Gaoron

Not having a constant orgasm about a movie doesn't mean it's hated. I swear people jump the horse whenever you say something wrong about MCU movie. Homecoming was average, it had good moments like Vulture character and bad ones like all action scenes. Let's hope next one with Mysterio is gonna be better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
deactivated-5c830d4e319e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s a bad movie.

The_Badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Badman

This movie does not get the hate it deserves. Its not about Spider-man, its about Iron Boy, Iron Man's sidekick.