Why did Marvel make Carol Danvers the bad guy of Civil War 2?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Seriously, jokes about how much of a fascist Carol's became because of that event aside, does anyone realize how weird it was for Marvel to make Carol practically the villain for the Civil War 2 event? For quite a while, Marvel had been trying really hard to make Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel their next big hit superhero and too an extent it was working. I've heard tons of great things about the Kelly Sue DeConnick run of Captain Marvel. Not to mention that Marvel Studios is planning a Captain Marvel movie, which would be the MCU's first movie starring a female hero, which more than likely will give them a lot of good press and money upon its release.

So with all that in mind, why would Marvel just sh*t the bed and make Carol the bad guy of Civil War 2? Nothing in that event or the majority of tie-ins made her side look like it was at all in the right. And given how much Marvel has been understandably called out for pandering too much to the far-left and more SJW-ish audiences, turning the character they wanted to be Marvel's Wonder Woman into the villain and having characters like Miles and Kamala go against her, characters who probably appeal more to that audience than Carol does, doesn't make any sense.

Seriously, with everything they'd been trying to do with Carol and everything they've been planning to do with her, why would Marvel make Carol the villain of their big event comic? They could have used any other character. Heck, I'm surprised they didn't have it be an X-men or Fantastic Four related character as the villain instead of her, given how bitter the feud between Disney and Fox was at the time. Can someone help me understand just what the thought process was here?

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They don't see her as a villain

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Primez0ne

They want to show that women are all evil fascists obviously.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Well far left is correct, communists and fascists are remarkably similar (although they are loathe to admit it) and given Marvel's current comics climate they may not view what she did as villainous.

Some might disagree with me but that's how I see it.

Now what I think every old school fan of Carol's, like myself, can agree on is they have destroyed her character the past two years or so. Hopefully her character will be more like her early to mid 2000s self in the MCU.

sinikettu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no idea why Bendis thought it would be a good idea to pit Tony against Carol but he did... The good thing is that Bendis jobbed the event so hard that pretty much everyone, including Marvel editorial, swept the event under the rug, almost pretending that it doesn't exist... So there's little lasting harm done to Captain Marvel's image as a whole.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because women are evil

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Bendis wrote the story so...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99
deactivated-5b60e98a8eb99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did she do?

comic_fan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batvibe12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Batvibe12

What did she do?

Carol was mind-controlled by the devil known as BENDIS! Due to being mind-controlled, Carol started doing crazy things with this new loser Inhuman and arrested people for something they didn't commit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57
deactivated-5b0ff1f569a57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Because of Brian Micheal Bendis.