TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

If anyone asks me what are your top 10 non-comic book movies... I'll simply tell them - well, I don't watch many non-comic book movies at all. Why?... Well, that's also simple... they aren't good enough. Yeah, and it may sound ridiculous, it may sound asinine, or ignorant or whatever - but that's generally it, I don't think modern non-comic blockbusters are as good as comic book movies - and they aren't necessarily poorly done, or bad films for that matter - they should don't hold up, narrative wise.

If you asked me my Top-Non Comic Book Movies - I'd tell you Hunger Games: Catching Fire, Argo and Inception. They're some of the only good stuff out there that aren't comic book related - and you'll notice one of them is novel-based, the other is based off of a real life event, and the other one is completely original. Of all those three - the best is Inception, then Catching Fire, and despite my love for Argo, that isn't that good. So - why are most original modern films weak? Because, again, they're simply weak: They're literally straight up, straight forward action films - lacking substance, they aren't worthy of deep praise.

I'm going back to the recent Edge of Tomorrow, which was, narrative wise, one of the weakest of the year. They didn't develop the characters - did any of you people understand where William Cage comes from and why he was doing what he did? Did anyone notice any character development for Cage? (Not goal developments, but the development of the character as a person), and was Rita a fleshed out character? Were Jay Squad all fleshed out with back stories, origins, motivations etc.? NO, THE CHARACTERS WERE PISS POOR.

If you know me well enough - Characterisation and Creativity are the two most critical elements in filmmaking in my eyes - and proper characterisation (heck, characterisation in general) wasn't present in Edge of Tomorrow, which was rated at a friggin 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, and a 7.5 on IGN (heck, it doesn't deserve that)... why? What did the film do to make it standout? It was a straight up action flick - it didn't develop it's characters or it's backstories, or their motivations...

Then there's Dawn of The Planet of The Apes, which didn't develop anyone besides Ceaser... yeah, you can argue they developed the primary human antagonist, who's name I forgot, but it isn't worthy of noting if the character development isn't well done and doesn't flow naturally. So - why is it a good film? In Rise of The Planet of The Apes, besides Ceaser and Franco's character, didn't develop anyone - everyone was sidelined. Basically, those are the issues with blockbuster films that aren't comic book films - they don't develop stuff.

Then there's comic book films - you watch First Class, and you see the characters develop: Erik develops into an antagonist, Raven merged into the Brotherhood of Dark Mutants, Charles and Beast were both dynamic characters... Iron Man (2008) developed Tony Stark's character, fleshed out Obadiah Stane's motivation, and a top of that, the romance dynamic between the two leads. Spider-Man 2 was also character driven - we witness Peter's arc, Harry's hunt for revenge, Ock's spiral to madness etc. etc...

Guardians of The Galaxy utilised almost every single character properly - we understood Star-Lord's origins, Gamora's motivations, Rocket developed into a more selfless person etc. etc. So - why don't we find this sort of substance in non-comic book films? (besides exceptions such as Inception) Why don't we follow character arcs in original blockbusters?... It's all straight up action...

I wont dwell on this anymore, because you're smart enough to understand where I'm coming from... this's been bothering me, though - nothing much to add. Thanks, and leave your comments bellow.

- TAS

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Star Wars >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Guardians of the Galaxy

Wreck it Ralph >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Avengers

Those are neither based on novels nor are they based on real life events.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Well said :D

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@symbioticspider-man:

Star Wars... yeah...

Wreck It Ralph - heck no, man, I completely hated it.

Anyways - I never claimed every single CBM is better than original films, but most modern films are worst than CBMs.

- TAS

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

@theamazingspidey said:

@symbioticspider-man:

Star Wars... yeah...

Anyways - I never claimed every single CBM is better than original films, but most modern films are worst than CBMs.

- TAS

Why's that, if you don't mind my asking?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I miss the good old fashioned R-rated thrillers like they used to have in the 80s/90s.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

@symbioticspider-man:

Star Wars... yeah...

- TAS

Why's that, if you don't mind my asking?

The whole narrative was weak - nothing special.

- TAS

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@theamazingspidey: Guardians of the Galaxy-a group of people band together and save the world.

Wreck it Ralph-Someone doesn't want to be who he is because everyone hates him. So, he decides to look for a life that will suit him.

I don't see what's weak about it. Guardians was basically Star Wars and Wreck it Ralph was its own thing.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Honestly after a 2nd rewatch, Avengers was pretty meh. I think the hype around a connected Marvel cinematic universe really boosted the enthusiasm of movie goers and comic book fans alike. The only thing that movie had going for it was Tom Hiddleston acting and tthe climax at the end.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By goonage

Star Wars, most Pixar movies, Back to the Future are some good non-comic book movies.

@hushofthewind I wouldn't call it meh, but I was slightly less impressed when I watched it for the second time.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Mandarinestro

I admit that I wasn't raised in the 90's; I was born in 1998. But many 90's movies are better than most of today's. Even 90's movie series which continue up to present day are better.

I can present lots of examples for 90's movies: T2, Die Hard, Jurassic Park, The Matrix, Home Alone, The Lion King. And 90's movie series which continue to flourish beyond 1999: Toy Story, dem Star Wars, Mission Impossible, Men In Black. All of them as a series (except maybe Home Alone, but still a fun movie) exceed MCU and TASM movies by lightyears.

And as for CBM's the original Spider-Man trilogy, V For Vendetta, Watchmen, and Blade are the only ones which are unique to me. I'm sorry but few mainstream superhero movies have been able to capture the heroes' characters the same way they have been in comics. I still prefer comics for the superhero genre over movies by a large margin. But since you wrote this neatly and all the words aren't immature rants, +1 for you.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cause Avengers gave such good insight on Hawkeye and Black Widow, oh wait, we learned just about nothing about them

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

No.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Reason for that is, would anyone have watched a Hawkeye movie?

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacthripper: I know I wouldn't be jumping in line for that, but overall in the avengers I don't think any characters really got any development

and as for good movies, I think Bunraku is one of my favorite new movies and outdoes just about any cbm narrative wise.

Jacthripper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrnoital: Avengers was a culmination of stories. It wasn't story driven, because all the other movies formed the story, then they had them all meet and bust sh!t up.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jacthripper: oh yeah I know, it's just that is looked as one of the best comic movie

development came in Cap:tfa, and Thor, but most people would say those were okay at best

complaints he makes about other movies easily apply to many comic movies as well

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw gone girl a week ago and that is the best movie I have seen in the past five years at least. Better than any movie listed in the op.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I find myself disagreeing with you more every time you make a post. You accusation of "blockbusters" (and since when is Argo a blockbuster? The film had a 45m dollar budget) being straightforward is incredibly weak. You give almost no reasons and your reasons themselves are incredibly poor.

Especially when you claim you care about characters, say GotG is awesome, and yet it has one of the most generic cliche villains seen in almost every film. "I'm a bad guy and I want to destroy the world/universe cos I'm bad". There was nothing remotely unique, creative or well developed about Ronan at all. He was there for no other reason than to show off the Infinity Stone.

To top it off, the film completely wrote itself into a corner and had to have a cop-out ending where the main character dances to beat the villain, because they couldn't think of an actual way, so they drown it in comedy and make everyone forget about the fact that they screwed up.

And Avengers has practically zero character development and even contradicts Loki's past established motivations.

If you ask me, you're letting your fandom blindly lead you around. Some CBM's are good, but to say all other movies are not even worth watching is just an idiotic statement to be frank.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By infantfinite128

You're just talking about blockbusters, right? I think a lot of the superhero movies are shallow and dull. They're like the one hit pop bands. When people are over the fad, these movies won't be held in any high regard. Other than the Nolan Batman movies and Iron Man, I haven't been impressed. Here's just some of the good movies from 2007 onwards. I'm missing a lot!

Rush

A Separation

Take Shelter

Boyhood

The Grand Budapest Hotel

District 9

Dallas Buyer's Club

Moneyball

The Warrior

Prisoners

Brothers

Seven Psychopaths

Silver Linings Playbook

The Fighter

The Social Network

Inglourious Basterds

Moon

Gran Torino

The Wrestler

In Bruges

Sweeney Todd

There Will Be Blood

No Country for Old Men

Bronson

The Road

Inception

Let Me In

The King's Speech

Eastern Promises

Bernie

End of Watch

The Fall

Moonrise Kingdom

Flowers of War

Carnage

American Hustle

Out of the Furnace

Big Nothing

Charlie Bartlett

Zodiac

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You got some issues you need taken careof.

Beata

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By buttersdaman000

You have some seriously low standards man lmao

Do you only like art by Rob Liefield? Do you only eat gas station pizza? Is Stephanie Meyer your favorite author? Was True Blood the pinnacle of TV storytelling to you???

Also, to anybody with even a decent appreciation of film most comic book movies are pretty shallow and mediocre. You really have to rank a lot of them on their own CBM scale.....except for TDKT, MoS, Iron Man, CA:TWS, and a few others.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have some seriously low standards man lmao

Do you only like art by Rob Liefield? Do you only eat gas station pizza? Is Stephanie Meyer your favorite author? Was True Blood the pinnacle of TV storytelling to you???

Also, to anybody with even a decent appreciation of film most comic book movies are pretty shallow and mediocre. You really have to rank a lot of them on their own CBM scale.....except for TDKT, MoS, Iron Man, CA:TWS, and a few others.

Your comment is... meh... and I wont pretend to appreciate what you wrote up - considering you're basically insulting my opinion and my standards, I honestly, without attacking you, don't care what you think right now.

I'm not able to discern your tone because it's text, but from where I'm at - it looks like an insult. Thanks,

- TAS

You got some issues you need taken careof.

Beata

Thanks - but I'm fine. Would you like to join the bandwagon, you know... the... um... others who cant regard opinions?

- TAS

I find myself disagreeing with you more every time you make a post. You accusation of "blockbusters" (and since when is Argo a blockbuster? The film had a 45m dollar budget) being straightforward is incredibly weak. You give almost no reasons and your reasons themselves are incredibly poor.

Especially when you claim you care about characters, say GotG is awesome, and yet it has one of the most generic cliche villains seen in almost every film. "I'm a bad guy and I want to destroy the world/universe cos I'm bad". There was nothing remotely unique, creative or well developed about Ronan at all. He was there for no other reason than to show off the Infinity Stone.

To top it off, the film completely wrote itself into a corner and had to have a cop-out ending where the main character dances to beat the villain, because they couldn't think of an actual way, so they drown it in comedy and make everyone forget about the fact that they screwed up.

And Avengers has practically zero character development and even contradicts Loki's past established motivations.

If you ask me, you're letting your fandom blindly lead you around. Some CBM's are good, but to say all other movies are not even worth watching is just an idiotic statement to be frank.

I wont defend both GOTG and Avengers - because GOTG's antagonist was weak, and Avengers didn't develop their characters properly. However, many other films (Spider-Man 2, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises etc.) developed their characters properly. On another note - I wouldn't claim that every single CBM is better than modern blockbusters, and that blockbusters are horrible.

So, don't tell me my fandom is leading me blindly around, because, if you looked above at my post, I did compliment a number of original films (Inception, for one), and to say I'm letting out an idiotic statement, and that I'm blindly being lead around, is an intended or unintended insult, and I'm hoping you'll revaluate what you said. Thanks,

- TAS

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I miss the good old fashioned R-rated thrillers like they used to have in the 80s/90s.

Go watch Gone Girl a great R rated thriller

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Thor-Parker

Edge of Tomorrow was a great movie, but I get your point though, many movies don´t develop characters besides the main one, but also many movies are great and considered by critics to be better than most CBMs.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#27  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Disagree

IAmTheCrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By IAmTheCrowning

Dude if those are the only films on your non-comicbook list, you need to watch more movies in general.

I can say without a doubt, Gone Girl>>>>>GotG,TAS 2, CA:TWS, and DofP

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Depends on what comic book movies are being compared to blockbusters. It also depends on the blockbusters you're comparing comic book movies to.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By MakkyD

The answer is simple: don't watch blockbusters

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly after a 2nd rewatch, Avengers was pretty meh. I think the hype around a connected Marvel cinematic universe really boosted the enthusiasm of movie goers and comic book fans alike. The only thing that movie had going for it was Tom Hiddleston acting and tthe climax at the end.

This!!!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

@mrnoital: but-but we learned she has red in her ledger : (

HopeOnFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edge of Tomorrow was pretty fun to watch. Reminds me a lot of Source Code.

StarWatcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StarWatcher

That's one hellofa strong statement...

I personally really dislike comic book movies in general. There are a few exceptions.

I find superheroes don't translate well to movies and TV.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate to say it, but you have some awful taste in movies if you think comic movies are the best coming out.

Lincoln, Take Shelter, The Departed, and 12 Years a Slave are just some recent examples off the top of my head that completely dwarf comic book films, and there are many others.

The only CBMs I consider to be actual good MOVIES overall, would be

(1) Batman Begins and The Dark Knight

(2) Spiderman 2 (Maguire)

(3) Watchmen

(4) Iron Man

Any other CBM doesn't hold up, IMO.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edge of Tomorrow was pretty fun to watch. Reminds me a lot of Source Code.

Yeah - it's a good watch, but it's pretty weak.

- TAS

That's one hellofa strong statement...

I personally really dislike comic book movies in general. There are a few exceptions.

I find superheroes don't translate well to movies and TV.

It isn't a statement, though... :)

- TAS

@_mongul said:

Hate to say it, but you have some awful taste in movies if you think comic movies are the best coming out.

Lincoln, Take Shelter, The Departed, and 12 Years a Slave are just some recent examples off the top of my head that completely dwarf comic book films, and there are many others.

(3) Watchmen

(4) Iron Man

Did you know that hate to say it doesn't excuse your awful communication skills in this specific situation - considering you outright, straightforward insulted my standpoint?... I could attack you, and critique you, and bash you for not including First Class or Days of Future Past in your list of comic book movies which you consider hold up well, but don't you reckon that's a tad bit rude, and a tad bit silly. Thanks,

- TAS

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagreed. It's the other way around imo.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disagreed. It's the other way around imo.

It's cool - and thanks a lot for being respectful of my opinion ;)

- TAS

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_mongul said:

@theamazingspidey: I don't really care, I disagree with your opinion.

That's cool - look at the other people who disagreed with me... and we respected one another's opinion... it isn't that much to ask for.

- TAS

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

"Yeah, and it may sound ridiculous"

No, it does sound ridiculous. Different strokes for different folks and all that jazz.

_Mongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By _Mongul

@theamazingspidey: Cool, you can disagree with me all you want too, ya know. Everyone has different opinions, I just don't like yours and you may not like mine.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullsh**

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bullsh**

Heh, I'm not sure how to interpreter your comment, so I wont respond at all >___>

- TAS

IAmTheCrowning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When having a discussion it is not disrespectful to attack ones opinion, tnow attacking someones character because of the opinion they have is disrespectful.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When having a discussion it is not disrespectful to attack ones opinion, tnow attacking someones character because of the opinion they have is disrespectful.

Hm... sorry - I don't understand your comment, sorry - I really don't. Can you please come again?

- TAS

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

@_mongul said:

(3) Watchmen

(4) Iron Man

Agreed.

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By averywetfrog

i feel like you dont watch a lot of movies. you clearly are so willing to accept the character development in CBMs as top notch, but for no reason whatsoever disregard character development in other films. let me try what you did in reverse.

The characters in Guardians of the Galaxy werent developed enough. There wasnt enough time in a single film to fully flesh them out so you cant really care about them.

In Edge of Tomorrow it mainly follows 1 characters personal development and you can really feel feel the pain of the character and see how this journey changed him forever.

See, it is so easy to over simplify what is so very subjective in order to make your opinions appear as facts.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@averywetfrog:

I didn't accept the character development in CBMs as top notch... I simply wrote it's better than the ones in original, modern blockbusters. Not all - but most, and if you disagree, that's cool - to each his own.

- TAS

averywetfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: "top notch", "better", or whatever. i stand by my point. is till think you should watch more movies