#1 Posted by Mister_Surreal (6203 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that right off the bat I’m going to get a lot of hate for this, but the thing is that I don’t really care. Captain Marvel has been an extremely controversial superhero partially because of the fact that she was stated to be the most powerful superhero by Kevin Fiege. There are other reasons for the ongoing conflict but this is one of the most prominent ones.

Many people have been outraged by the concept of her being this powerful, but the goes to show how little is known about her character. In the comics she is one of the most powerful of Earth’s superheroes but simply isn’t in the same level as people like Hulk and Thor, which makes the idea of her being the most powerful quite jarring. But her being more powerful than them can be explained by a character named Binary.

If you have not heard of Binary you are hardly to blame, her first appearance was over two decades ago. Binary is a form of Captain Marvel that was created by a species known as the Brood who abducted Carol Danvers and mutated her genes turning her into the cosmic being. While she doesn’t have many feats, it has been stated that Binary is a being with the power out out of an exploding star. In other words, a walking supernova.

If this is what happens in Captain Marvel or Avengers: Endgame then that would explain why she is will he so powerful. After all, another famous Marvel character nearly died when facing the power of nothing but neutron star. Regardless of how you feel about the character of her place in the MCU, the writers and directors know what they are doing and should be given the chance to make a good movie before being judged.

#2 Edited by jayc1324 (26289 posts) - - Show Bio

It's made difficult for some people to give them a chance when they make statements like that though. It's almost like they are purposefully trying to be controversial. No one needed to announce that Thor would be given a power boost, they just made him more badass, dd it well, and that was that.

I will absolutely give it a chance and hope they don't pat themselves on the back too much, but they are to blame for people being mad about it.

#3 Posted by ANTHP2000 (23884 posts) - - Show Bio

People being salty is their problem and alone. If the MCU wants to make her this powerful then so be it. Get off your high horse and accept that the source material is not the Bible, and that your favourite characters don't always have to be the best.

Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
#4 Posted by DarkPsychicLord_Prime (3799 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see the problem about her being the most powerful either, as long as she's not treated like Superman in JL. And about Binary, i think not even her is as powerful as Thor or Hulk in the comics.

#5 Edited by rem (1996 posts) - - Show Bio

I swear I’ve seen this same thread at least 5 times.

OT: it is what it is. It’s nit too big of a deal.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
#6 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (8925 posts) - - Show Bio

Why people are afraid of her being powerful is ridiculous. It’s amazing in this day an age that a lot of men( or I should say boys) are worried about female characters showing up male characters. All this Mary Sue bs. It’s fiction for Christ sakes I mean no reason to get salty over it. My favorite characters are Spider-Man and Batman and there are many female characters that are many times more powerful than they are. It doesn’t make me like them any less and they are the top characters in their respected universe popularity wise. People need to stop crying about these female characters.

#7 Posted by Straight-Fire (27174 posts) - - Show Bio

I've learned to accept it long ago. If you haven't yet then you're just in denial.

That being said, I'm hoping the movie is actually good. Power levels doesn't make me salty like it does others.

#8 Posted by Amcu (15426 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer for other characters to be the most powerful but I'm not trying to complain too much about Captain Marvel's power level either. Its not what I would have preferred but that doesn't mean that it won't work. As long as they don't treat her as so powerful that she overshadows the whole team(which would be a problem for any Avenger)than its fine.

#9 Posted by xZone (9591 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor’s still gonna be the most powerful avenger

Here’s how I see it: I could see some directors making CM the most powerful in End Game, but the Russos know what they are doing. I trust the Russos more than I trust the hype put out there by an actor. Let’s be real here, if Thor’s Star/ring feats end up being consistent for Thor, we’re talking about one of the most powerful characters in LA history. The Director’s who made him to that... I just don’t see them having some new character steal the show like that, especially when Joe Russo has talked about how much of a fan he is of Thor

X

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#10 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (5514 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: You could've just said, as characters are introduced later in the mcu the chances of the being super powerful sinve their introduction is way higher, a given example would be thor was really weak when introduced when introduced in 2011 while vision has been op since his introduction so as we're getting deeper into the universe its only natural that new characters are getting closer to their comicbook counter-parts. See it as a positive correlation scatter graph.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
#11 Posted by The_living_tribunal_24 (5514 posts) - - Show Bio

@mister_surreal: you do know the vine as seen many binary debates right??

20?? try almost 40. it isnt the power of a supernova but of a star( writers, knowing so little about astronomy, had to omit most information about her leaving it to suspension of disbelief), basically her body is a white hole meaning she can release massive amounts of matter and energy through her( assuming shes linked to a black hole that is continously absorbing energy and matter).

#12 Posted by Supermanthor (10355 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Edited by Mister_Surreal (6203 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_living_tribunal_24: Either way, my point was just that Binary is a thing you can make your own thread and word it the way that you like.

#14 Edited by Kidolio (613 posts) - - Show Bio

It’s actually quite simple why people might not like her because it’s A: she isn’t well liked by comic fans because she keeps being shoved down our throats and she’s kinda of a crappy person sometimes and the comic purist know she isn’t more powerful then Thor and Hulk even when Binary

B: For non comic fans it’s because she’s gonna upstage people more deserving then her and makes the reason she doesn’t show up before hand dumb if not explained well

C: Some people think that she was made to have a feminist agenda because it’s hard in this social climate to make a strong female character without seeming to come with a female agenda.

D: Thor’s already kinda of op and will not be getting more stories told about him because of how op he is in the MCU and only through PIS can stories be told about him, now wonder what happens if she’s stronger and is a permanent stay, PIS everywhere.

I’m okay with it it’s a different continuity so whatever but she better not be like Superman who is overpowered in the Dceu

#15 Posted by Tomkatie (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't care how powerful she is. Every cast interview seems to have everyone saying "she's so powerful, she's gonna change the landscape of the MCU"

Okay great, go for it. Just make her personality not suck like it does in the comics

#16 Posted by Kidolio (613 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Tomkatie (3112 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio said:

@tomkatie: is she really that bad?

She's hot-headed, self-righteous, and militaristic as hell. And that was her before Civil War II

#18 Posted by APEX_pretador (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

Binary has gotten murked by true high tierz

#19 Posted by Kidolio (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomkatie: ooohhh okay you’re right change her personality enough that she’ll be likable by mass audiences.

#20 Posted by biswaboxz (3480 posts) - - Show Bio

sigh.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#21 Edited by MarvelandDCfan24 (6759 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont really care how powerful or not she is just hate the character

Aquaman was weak as shit in his solo movie but the movie was awesome

#22 Posted by unseenforce01 (22 posts) - - Show Bio

I really don't have a problem with CM being almighty because she's a female, The thing that bothers me is that Wanda got stripped of her comic powers because she would've been too powerful, but now CM who isn't even that powerful (in the comics)get's to be more powerful than Thor and Hulk just because she's a female, It's like Wanda doesn't count as a female...

#23 Posted by Emperorb777 (10812 posts) - - Show Bio

My problem is where has a character th il s powerful been I the last 10 years.

#24 Posted by Magian (150441 posts) - - Show Bio

Why? Because Feige said so. That's why.

#25 Edited by Devilmenworks (706 posts) - - Show Bio
@lone_wolf_and_cub said:

Why people are afraid of her being powerful is ridiculous. It’s amazing in this day an age that a lot of men( or I should say boys) are worried about female characters showing up male characters. All this Mary Sue bs. It’s fiction for Christ sakes I mean no reason to get salty over it. My favorite characters are Spider-Man and Batman and there are many female characters that are many times more powerful than they are. It doesn’t make me like them any less and they are the top characters in their respected universe popularity wise. People need to stop crying about these female characters.

I am pretty sure most people aren't afraid of a powerful female Super hero, what people have problem with is if this powerful superhero is being pushed to be more powerful for some sort of agenda.Yes it is fiction, but most of us want to see a proper adaptation of different comic stories we grew up reading, not something completely inaccurate. Both Thor and Hulk are more powerful than Captain Marvel in the comics but they decided to make her more powerful in the MCU. Ok no problem. However, instead of making her slightly stronger than both of them, they made her hundreds if not thousands of times stronger than both of them (since she is strong enough to move a planet), and she can apparently time travel as well.

Additionally, Captain Marvel wasn't that popular to begin with and Brie Larson isn't exactly helping the depiction of the character (due to some of her politics and there being better choices people would have preferred, as well as the way she comes off in the trailers).

How would you feel if there was a Bat-family storyline, and out of no where, an unknown person like Julia Pennyworth (Alfred's daughter) comes in the story and she is faster, stronger, has better prep, and is a better fighter than Batman? It is fiction, but would you be ok with someone like that saving the day? That is what it seems like with what they are doing with Captain Marvel.

Again, most people imo, don't have a problem with female supeheroes being more powerful than male characters, it is when unpopular female characters become absurdly more powerful than their male counterparts, and have the potential to solve all their previous and current problems.

#26 Posted by Doomsguy (132 posts) - - Show Bio

if its true that he will be more powerful thaN hulk or thor, thats a shame.this superhero has never impressed me and I consider her like a medium tier, but today women have to be more poWerful than men for some reasOn.