• 81 results
Avatar image for darkpsychiclord_prime
#51 Edited by DarkPsychicLord_Prime (4085 posts) - - Show Bio

Because having unbeatable and untouchable characters makes them unrelatable and boring (see DCEU Superman), and it creates imconsistencies when they aren't fighting at their usual powerlevel. That's why Aquaman is more succesful, as he has to struggle to accomplish his goals and isn't unbeatable and untouchable.

#52 Posted by Scipio123 (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@stahlflamme:

Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

I tend to feel that if you're going to put actual gods in your cinematic universe, they should fight like gods. Otherwise, what's the point?

Thor and Hela fighting like Cap and Bucky is just lame and kills the immersion for me.

#53 Posted by JediXMan (42486 posts) - - Show Bio

Even in the comics, speed isn't as big a deal in Marvel. That's more DC's thing.

#54 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@scipio123: There is a shockwave when Thor hits Hela with Gungnir... I think you’re downplaying MCU characters a little bit

X

#55 Posted by IPvMan (866 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel characters aren't known for speed.

#56 Posted by Scipio123 (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

There is a shockwave when Thor hits Hela with Gungnir

Nothing special. Call me childish, but a fight between two gods ought to resemble this:

Loading Video...

Just swap out Will Smith and Charlize Theron for Hemsworth and Blanchett and imagine how awesome it would be (especially from 0:57-1:26).

#57 Posted by Rustlingjimmy (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone:

There is a shockwave when Thor hits Hela with Gungnir

Nothing special. Call me childish, but a fight between two gods ought to resemble this:

Loading Video...

Just swap out Will Smith and Charlize Theron for Hemsworth and Blanchett and imagine how awesome it would be (especially from 0:57-1:26).

true

#58 Posted by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@scipio123: Different kinds of fights. One of them is CQC between two skilled opponents, and the other isn’t

X

#59 Posted by Scipio123 (629 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone: As I say, different strokes for different folks. I just feel that a fight between two children of Odin ought to be a bit more spectacular.

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
#60 Edited by FireStarLord73194 (5082 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol to people using MCU QS as an example, he’s so fast that he can catch bullets.. lol the irony

Yo-yo was pretty good tho

#61 Edited by xZone (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@scipio123: I realize that, but that kind of a fight doesn’t really happen when it’s so one sided. Thor’s only chance at that point in the fight was to try and outskill and outspeed Hela

X

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#62 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15891 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Quicksilver looked really unimpressive partially because by the time AoU was released, we already had Man of Steel, Flash, and Days of Future Past, all of which had superior speedsters (both in actual speed and portrayal). Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure Yo-Yo from AoS is slower than MCU Quicksilver, yet she looks so much better on screen.

#63 Posted by Stahlflamme (5733 posts) - - Show Bio

@stahlflamme:

Different strokes for different strokes I guess.

I tend to feel that if you're going to put actual gods in your cinematic universe, they should fight like gods. Otherwise, what's the point?

Thor and Hela fighting like Cap and Bucky is just lame and kills the immersion for me.

Fight like actual gods? I don't remember any mythologie mentioning shockwaves when two gods battled. Heck Loki in mythology was done in by a fisher net yet him pulling on his restraints in a fit of pain is the north mythologies explanation for earthquakes. So having to gods of polytheistic pantheons battle like human guys even though they have the power to effect entire countries is more like actual mythology then some kind of effects spectacle.

#64 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3738 posts) - - Show Bio

MCU sucks, they've gotten away with cheap fight scenes like these for a decade.

#65 Posted by Blackdog2009 (3738 posts) - - Show Bio
#66 Edited by Gotoucanario (2958 posts) - - Show Bio

I know right, without spoiling details, Cpt Marvel fight vs a team looked literally street level, like replace Carol's energy with Black Panthers suit shockwave and they are basically on the same tier action wise though at least Black Panther fought with skill and choreography while Carol looked like she was a human with 0 combat training fighting like a sparkly wrestler lmao.

Avatar image for miraclecomeback
#67 Posted by MiracleComeBack (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

lol!!

Avatar image for sexybayonetta22
#68 Posted by SexyBayonetta22 (1594 posts) - - Show Bio

@xzone said:

Uh, Thor and Captain Marvel have speed feats. Wether you choose to acknowledge that or not is up to you

X

U know CW Arrow has greater reflexes than MCU Thor

#69 Posted by Helloman (29800 posts) - - Show Bio

They do.

#70 Posted by DaSalvadore (332 posts) - - Show Bio

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, there isn't a problem with lack of speed in the MCU but too much speed in the Fox/DCEUfilms. The sheer amount of slow-mo or time-distorted scenes in those franchises honestly borders on the obscene at times. It's not that it ruins any understanding of what the character can physically do (although it does that too) but that it's almost a throwback to the Matrix films. This means that superfast characters are in viewers minds when they watch MCU and it stands out when they aren't seeing the same special effects.

#71 Posted by The_Kidd (11987 posts) - - Show Bio

Because with the exception of a few, the characters adapted to the MCU don't possess super speed as a standard attribute where as speed is pretty important for DC main heroes.

#72 Posted by greenroost (1381 posts) - - Show Bio

There’s no reason for their characters to be that fast.

that

#73 Posted by hyiena (5328 posts) - - Show Bio

They are probably trying to stay away from slowmo that is Fox Quicksilver and Snyder's thing.

Avatar image for christianrapper
#74 Posted by christianrapper (6168 posts) - - Show Bio

The only character with super speed is captain marvel. They did a pretty good job of showing quicksilver’s speed. Not to mention writers don’t care about feats. They just want to build tension. Feats are just something that people care about on battle forums. The general public or writers can care less.

#75 Posted by MangoNation (46 posts) - - Show Bio

Because super speed generally makes it harder to tell a convincing story, especially if only a select few characters have it.

It's mind boggling how people are advocating for cooler speed feats and yet will probably turn around and claim bad writing for characters not using their speed effectively in every scene.

#76 Posted by TheNoobStomper (794 posts) - - Show Bio

Because if your characters move real fast at anything they do (wether moving or fighting) then it becomes a lot harder to build a somewhat realistic plot with stakes and everything. That also means you have to make the villains equally powerful so they may be able to keep up with the heroes, which in turn makes the villains that much more powerful in terms of destructive capabilities and makes the plot less believable.

#77 Posted by webinyoureye11 (5703 posts) - - Show Bio

They can, but I don’t believe the general audience cares as much about muh speed featz as viners. So why spend the extra money on effects for every fight scene when the mcu has worked without it?

#78 Posted by Agent9149 (3627 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it doesn't work for movies. Regular people, not nerds on vs battle sites, don't care about feats. They like struggle, drama, and overcoming. This is why the fights in MCU are way more enjoyable and fun than the fights in DC. DC, is all about destruction. MCU fights are about skill.

Hela vs. Thor >>> Superman vs. Zod. You guys have trained yourself to think that big feats equal good battle because you're so invested in vs battles. That's not the same for everyone else. They're still grounded in reality. Watching super man break buildings is not fun to watch for a general audience, especially in post-911 world.

This is why thanos's big move was killing off trillions of people in a dust cloud vs. destroying galaxies or planets. It's more personal.

#79 Posted by destinyman75 (14291 posts) - - Show Bio

Well In case you missed it Thor, Captain Marvel AMD Quicksilver all have speed feats. Why don't the rest?? Because they actually isn't an enjoyable emotional battle not something to please snot nosed dweebs hiding in there basement spitting but muh feats.....

Avatar image for immoralimmortal
#80 Posted by immoralimmortal (954 posts) - - Show Bio

this is how you show speed marvel, pay attention

No Caption Provided

#81 Posted by ReaperTheGrim (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it doesn't work for movies. Regular people, not nerds on vs battle sites, don't care about feats. They like struggle, drama, and overcoming. This is why the fights in MCU are way more enjoyable and fun than the fights in DC. DC, is all about destruction. MCU fights are about skill.

Hela vs. Thor >>> Superman vs. Zod. You guys have trained yourself to think that big feats equal good battle because you're so invested in vs battles. That's not the same for everyone else. They're still grounded in reality. Watching super man break buildings is not fun to watch for a general audience, especially in post-911 world.

This is why thanos's big move was killing off trillions of people in a dust cloud vs. destroying galaxies or planets. It's more personal.

False