Why are Humans the most overused format for any character?

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Futureisbest

In any fantasy Genre, or any science fiction genre, there's always this one race that look like humans, demons that also look like thin fit humans.

Then you got robots having "perfect forms" that look human

This spoil probably full of a lot of examples V

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I won't go any further.

Even when it's not needed, we always use it non corporeal characters when suggesting a design.

Character who didn't have a humanoid appearance before.

Aliens who have no relations to us.

Robots when the most effective ones are quadrupedal.

We give it to inanimate objects too.

Even when the character doesn't look like a human, they share the body characteristics of one.

And at times they in the mercy of Plot and are saved, or are more important than the non human based characters.

They are even more powerful than their previous non-human forms.

in other situation even the character is more powerful or portrayed that way than their peers and they look human.

Why is that?

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Wolfrazer  Online

This probably would be better for General Discussion.

But anyway, most likely so the audience can relate to them in some shape or form...that and probably easier to draw/animate, compared to something wild and crazy.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But anyway, most likely so the audience can relate to them in some shape or form...that and probably easier to draw/animate, compared to something wild and crazy.

this

along with the human form generally being the more attractive form to use

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ReaperTheGrim

Hmm yes, why do humans generally make characters that look like humans, Hmmmmmmm?

It's because they're humans.

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ComicGirl21

This is a silly question. Obviously, all of fiction ever created was created FOR humans and BY humans. So there's the factor of target audience, of inspiration of identification... it's all obvious why that's the case

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a silly question. Obviously, all of fiction ever created was created FOR humans and BY humans. So there's the factor of target audience, of inspiration of identification... it's all obvious why that's the case

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to appeal to humans.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I think the human basic form is thought of as the best all-around body shape for functionality. But you can use our basic stencil shape and create some pretty cool aliens that look totally diff than us but still look like the most evolved forms of life from where they come from also..

Darkvanderling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humanoids are way attractive. That’s why.

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@futureisbest: ...was there a point to sending me 3 images of random characters? Its not like I said that non-human characters don't exist right?

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By heiqn  Online

Guys why are humans the most overused format in fictional stories created by humans??? 🤓🤓🤓

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Lack of creativity

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

We need more furries and animal themed characters 💯

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic fans, Disney fans, Pokemon fans, and mostly every anime fandom that has some form of catgirl/boy pop their heads out in unison.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Futureisbest
@comicgirl21 said:

@futureisbest: ...was there a point to sending me 3 images of random characters? Its not like I said that non-human characters don't exist right?

My point is you can get that point across by giving those character other element like emotions and intelligent to make them relatable to human audience obviously. You don't have to go against the logic of reality to somehow make the off chance an alien somehow looks like us by chance when theres trillions upon trillions of stars system in our universe. We're not special and you can make good characters without making them look like us. That's not a satisfying answer and it can be done without the rudeness, just cuz something look like us doesn't mean I'm gonna gravitate to that character unless they're well written, I don't have a caveman mentality to where I see human "ooh human good" or I see a being that doesn't "ah must be evil, must destroy". That feel cheap, I guess I go with what the other user said, the lack of creativity and imagination.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My point is you can get that point across by giving those character other element like emotions and intelligent to make them relatable to human audience obviously. You don't have to go against the logic of reality to somehow make the off chance an alien somehow looks like us by chance when theres trillions upon trillions of stars system in our universe. We're not special and you can make good characters without making them look like us. That's not a satisfying answer and it can be done without the rudeness, just cuz something look like us doesn't mean I'm gonna gravitate to that character unless they're well written, I don't have a caveman mentality to where I see human "ooh human good" or I see a being that doesn't "ah must be evil, must destroy". That feel cheap, I guess I go with what the other user said, the lack of creativity and imagination.

Or a lot of authors are more comfortable on telling a story in hue of characters they know best. it feels cheap to you because you are ignoring those “comfort“ zones and a lot of author’s imagination and creativity thrive on that. what would you do if you are asked to write stories about an acorn worm when your main forte are cats?

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:
@futureisbest said:

Or a lot of authors are more comfortable on telling a story in hue of characters they know best. it feels cheap to you because you are ignoring those “comfort“ zones and a lot of author’s imagination and creativity thrive on that. what would you do if you are asked to write stories about an acorn worm when your main forte are cats?

Then they need to step out of that comfort zone or don't try to make a story about aliens and try to make it realistic, because it comes off not so. Any alien race that is 70% human in appearance remove that realism same goes for robots, that is my only gripes.

It loses its sci-fi vibe and becomes more fantasy when you do that. And cats aren't intelligent enough to be attached to stories so making that argument is invalid.

District 9 does a great job with this. Besides you can give non-humanoid characters human attributes in the other end of the spectrum, look at Cars, finding Nemo or Zootopia it's a big hit for humans like myself so again idk if this answer is valid.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eradicate all furries. Degeneracy will not be tolerated

@kyrees said:
@futureisbest said:

Then they need to step out of that comfort zone or don't try to make a story about aliens and try to make it realistic, because it comes off not so. Any alien race that is 70% human in appearance remove that realism same goes for robots, that is my only gripes.

It loses its sci-fi vibe and becomes more fantasy when you do that. And cats aren't intelligent enough to be attached to stories so making that argument is invalid.

District 9 does a great job with this. Besides you can give non-humanoid characters human attributes in the other end of the spectrum, look at Cars, finding Nemo or Zootopia it's a big hit for humans like myself so again idk if this answer is valid.

What realism? Please show us what aliens look like and if you didn't notice humans and Earth are pretty unique and special. And you can say you don't have bias but everyone does to some extent. If you seen a giant cockroach like the one in Men in black I doubt you'd be so carefree in real life

Youre talking about antromorphizing things in a cartoon format. That's not the same as making a fully fledged alien

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:
@lilbroomstick said:

Eradicate all furries. Degeneracy will not be tolerated

@futureisbest said:
@kyrees said:
@futureisbest said:

What realism? Please show us what aliens look like and if you didn't notice humans and Earth are pretty unique and special.

Aliens would likely look nothing like us, like i said there are trillions upon trillions upon TRILLIONS of star systems, the likely hood of them looking like us or any creature of this world is the same chance, slim. And they're likely not going to find us interesting, many tropes fail to understand that aliens are just that aliens, life of other planets and are likely building civilization or are no different from intelligence than our animals and have primitive brains, if those lifeforms become intelligent they'll probably not gonna look like us but may have SOME similarities as an intelligent lifeform, but if we're going by the logic of writers they would be extraordinarily intelligent with technologies that look like magic to us with at that point we won't be special to them. No, we're not special until we're proven we're the only thing in this universe sorry buddy, we may be unique but we're part of a bigger universe so we're not the focal point, it's your desire to feel important that makes you think you're special but once you croak over of multiple causes the next joe will take over, that's just how the world works and once we're all gone the universe will continue without us, that's it.

And you can say you don't have bias but everyone does to some extent. If you seen a giant cockroach like the one in Men in black I doubt you'd be so carefree in real life

I never said I have no bias, no one is exempt from that. If they can talk and use human tools, I'd be more amazed than terrified lol

Youre talking about antromorphizing things in a cartoon format. That's not the same as making a fully fledged alien

Literally just said "In the other end of the spectrum"

Avatar image for miguelcervantes
MiguelCervantes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MiguelCervantes

Post #2 already ended the thread, and I'm not shocked since it's a very simple question

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-62efaa9d3d5ff
deactivated-62efaa9d3d5ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same reason there are female and male aliens and robot. We're humans lol, they're not real so we just do whatever we like with the concept. You could do whatever you want with the concept and make your own aliens non bipedal.

Randomidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicgirl21 said:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Sonic is humanoid and so is the character below him.

SirDragonFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By kyrees
@futureisbest said:

we are living in earth and have not met any alien that science has legitimately studied. your realism gripe is your fanciful way of thinking of what aliens should be and that is not even valid at all since because there is no standard for that at all. Lose the sci fi vibe?! We don’t even know what the nearest living alien looks like. who are you to say that when you haven’t even legitimately met an alien. If you are going to say one can imagine, then we go back to that point where people are more comfortable on what they know intimately. stepping out of that “comfort zone” is even more harder because there is no legitimate first step to it.

i mentioned cats and acorn worms since these are creatures we humans have intimate knowledge of. key point there is intimate knowledge. You seem to gloss that over. district 9 did a good job?! By what standard is that? Those bugs are still reminiscent of clicking bugs and cockroaches of earth.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@randomidk: I was refering to the human feature notably the face, they look nothing like humans aside from being able to stand upright and walk on twos

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:

we are living in earth and have not met any alien that science has legitimately studied. your realism gripe is your fanciful way of thinking of what aliens should be and that is not even valid at all since because there is no standard for that at all. Lose the sci fi vibe?! We don’t even know what the nearest living alien looks like. who are you to say that when you haven’t even legitimately met an alien. If you are going to say one can imagine, then we go back to that point where people are more comfortable on what they know intimately. stepping out of that “comfort zone” is even more harder because there is no legitimate first step to it.

i mentioned cats and acorn worms since these are creatures we humans have intimate knowledge of. key point there is intimate knowledge. You seem to gloss that over. district 9 did a good job?! By what standard is that? Those bugs are still reminiscent of clicking bugs and cockroaches of earth.

I already got my answer, I'm not arguing with you.

the top half you're basically agreeing with me yet trying to use that to support your argument. We've yet met any aliens that science has legitimately studied, that's right, so why try to assume what an intelligent one looks like based on us? There's no other reason than to make the general audience relate to these characters.

I already got my answer. I will not take your answer or agree with it. I'm done.

District 9 looks bug-like which is a breath of fresh air, but still something new because we don't see a lot of instectoid/nonhumanoid aliens given human like attributes and values. The visual shell of portraying a good guy as the human looking being when in real world we are far from it and the exceptions are the minority.

I'll admit I misread the earthworm bit, but again that should go back to breaking out of your comfort zone and broaden your knowledge. it's that simple.

warrior8411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer said:

this

along with the human form generally being the more attractive form to use

yup , a prefect example of a very attractive human would be Me :)

Randomidk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pandalumina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kildcmcti2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the writers are humans

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Futureisbest

@randomidk: Tho I would love to see more heartwarming stories between a beautiful woman who will accept anyone despite what they look like and a horrific eldritch abomination who is really a kindhearted and misunderstood person at heart.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TakenStew22

Definitely a weird question.

Not only is it hard to imagine and create original non-human looking creatures, but some of it is also just because we can relate to them.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the top half you're basically agreeing with me yet trying to use that to support your argument. We've yet met any aliens that science has legitimately studied, that's right, so why try to assume what an intelligent one looks like based on us? There's no other reason than to make the general audience relate to these characters.

I already got my answer. I will not take your answer or agree with it. I'm done.

District 9 looks bug-like which is a breath of fresh air, but still something new because we don't see a lot of instectoid/nonhumanoid aliens given human like attributes and values. The visual shell of portraying a good guy as the human looking being when in real world we are far from it and the exceptions are the minority.

I'll admit I misread the earthworm bit, but again that should go back to breaking out of your comfort zone and broaden your knowledge. it's that simple.

please point to me these creatures that live outside our planet because aside from a few microbes, there is nothing legitimately big enough for us to study. If you are talking about the UFO aliens cryptozoolgy describes, then it’s barely passable because of how nobody can meet them second time around for them to be studied accordingly.

No general reason? You are telling a story, you need to elucidate the details to readers so why are you trying to fry your mind on the lovelife of the dunwich horror(lovecraft) when your forte are genetic dinosaurs(crichton). I mentioned two authors that are expert to those two characters mentioned. Are you suggesting that the two authors step put of their comfort zones then? Honestly, i only came to this discussion because someone is telling seasoned authors who have created a lot of epic tales of subjects they know by heart to ignore those origins and tells other stories that they are not comfortable with.

i will admit that district 9 is a brand new story but the character design isn’t something new.

Futureisbest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:
@futureisbest said:

please point to me these creatures that live outside our planet because aside from a few microbes, there is nothing legitimately big enough for us to study. If you are talking about the UFO aliens cryptozoolgy describes, then it’s barely passable because of how nobody can meet them second time around for them to be studied accordingly.

No general reason? You are telling a story, you need to elucidate the details to readers so why are you trying to fry your mind on the lovelife of the dunwich horror(lovecraft) when your forte are genetic dinosaurs(crichton). I mentioned two authors that are expert to those two characters mentioned. Are you suggesting that the two authors step put of their comfort zones then? Honestly, i only came to this discussion because someone is telling seasoned authors who have created a lot of epic tales of subjects they know by heart to ignore those origins and tells other stories that they are not comfortable with.

i will admit that district 9 is a brand new story but the character design isn’t something new.

For a seasoned authors are the designers of characters? do they the illustrate? aren't you open for improvement and critics? I literally just said we don't know what aliens look like and shouldn't assume they'd all look humanoid especially when there's creatures on our planet that evolved different but with similar subsets we may have to a lesser degree, that was my only gripes but you want to take things another direction as though I'm saying I know what aliens look like which is false and not my point at all. If you took offense with someone saying step outside your comfort zone and try new things, then you won't improve in life.

My main point was to question the validity of that concept that the first thing to come to our planet will have two eyes, a nose, and 4 limbs and a human face. Is it because we apply our human ego to "alien" concepts without the thought of the word "alien" meaning unfamiliar, this is why I say step outside your comfort zone. To step in an "alien" environment state-of-mind in ideas of designing said being, to let you imagination run wild and untethered the concept of a face and come up with something without memory or mental pattern or thought of what you would see or do it the easy way and take multiple creature you don't normally see mash them together to create a new creature that have never been seen before, that is how most mythological creature are made, not take a whole format of a human and add something on to it like wings or horns.

That was what I was referring too.

Again, you missed that point of my question and now want to combat me over this author intergrity which wasn't the point, it was designer point of view.

I don't know what you want from me, you seem attacked that I'm showing distaste for the concept of a human face apply to something that probably not factual and being passive off as purely science fiction with no fantasy elements where I literally gave an example of how much more respectable if we didn't do that. Again when designing an alien all I ask is to take evolutionary traits from earth, our chemistry, potential lifeform chemistry and the number of lifeforms on our existing planet in consideration when designing, there's nothing wrong with taking inspiration from other multiple animals when designing an alien. They case with robots are even less so and rarely see that problem since they're a cast system of machines serving purpose of humans so it's whatever.

My opinions are my opinions, and your opinions are opinions, to defend the concept of making a human and changing their color to green to set them apart from a normal human that seems very cheesy looks silly to me (you can help fix this by exaggerating some elements of their face like give them elongated heads extra eyes or something that'll look more akin to convergent evolutionary effects that occurs on Earth than just format palette swapping, no excuse for modern films will hold up like they did for old films since costume props and CGI is still available).

No Caption Provided

idk that's probably why I hate most isekais save for a few.

No Caption Provided

There was nothing wrong with his comic book counterpart.