Whose magic is more powerful ?? Doctor Strange vs Loki

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Who has more powerful magic/sheer magical prowess between these two ?? Loki or Sorcerer Supreme Doctor Strange ??

No God of Stories Loki and no God of Magic Strange.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Dr Strange, since he channels all sorts of abstract beings whereas Loki just relies on his own power. I don't think Loki has any sort of counter to Strange buffing his own speed and blitzing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ebf27e5f02
deactivated-5b3ebf27e5f02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Strange has more hax and spells at his disposal but I think Loki's are simply stronger

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WastelandMan

Strange at full power is a more powerful sorcerer than Loki. He has consistently better feats of power, regularly fights opponents far more powerful than Loki, and is far more skilled. Strange can master a form of magic that took a master sorcerer centuries in mere moments, learns hundreds of spells in seconds every single day as part of his daily routine, encountered and battled every form of magic manifested simultaneously, can cast alien forms of magic based purely on observation, and has spent 1,000 years studying the Vishanti's magical libraries.

EDIT: Strange is actually at least 5,000 years old.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman:

, and has spent over 1,000 years studying the Vishanti's magical libraries

How has he done that if Stephen isn't 1000 years old..............or is he ??

LDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LDM

Strange easily

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WastelandMan

@thor_parker82 said:

How has he done that if Stephen isn't 1000 years old..............or is he ??

He is. Strange doesn't age after overcoming his trial of Death:

No Caption Provided

And he partook in the War of the Seven Spheres which lasted a millennia:

However, time flowed differently and lasted only a nanosecond in real-time:

No Caption Provided

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Thor-Parker
jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jrupert1

@wastelandman: Yep, plus the whole "benefactors advantage" isn't even a real thing as all sorcery has the option (except for the time Strange gave it up). Novice sorcerers call on the same sources, as does Dormammu, so it's not something Strange has that Loki doesn't. Provided Loki has the knowledge and discipline nothing is stopping him from casting spells like the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, he might just not have took the time to fully learn that discipline (different circumstances and all in regards to magical tutelage). It's also not an advantage as an "added bonus to power" sense some think because it's actually directly tied to the personal power of the caster. Nor would it mean Loki's personal magic is of a higher degree than Strange, because feats would disagree, in terms of both versatility/hax and raw power (destructive or preventative). There are many spells and disciplines Strange knows but generally refuses to use (the more deadly and destructive ones) due to his dedication to the light.

"Magic is first and foremost a mental discipline" as Strange has said and the power is directly correlated to knowledge and the strength of mind and spirit. Most important is willpower itself (of which there are countless feats demonstrating him being exceedingly ahead). Those things affect the casters power as such being the difference between Strange (mind filled with concern) being forced on the defensive against Mordo, to just powering through the spells when angry with them having no affect.

Strange was a prodigy not simply because he picks up magic incredibly fast (as demonstrated when he mastered earth-magick to a greater degree in moments than Salome a previous SS did in centuries, as shown in the scans below), retain such a vast amount of spells, or upstage others in the creative applications of spells, but mainly because the Ancient One saw the potential of his will.

boschePG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@wastelandman: yeah many people don't know Strange is old. I remember when the VIshanti told him how long the war was going to take

No Caption Provided

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: while I agree with Strange proweres, Being a thousand years old isn't that special when Loki is much older then that by many thousands. Not that I disagree with your point

CosmoGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CosmoGod

Strange's prowess as SS is better but his magic isn't his own.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jrupert1: Exactly there's a lot of misconception about how magic works.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@destinyman75:

That's true. I didn't mean to phrase it to suggest that age should matter here.

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By destinyman75

@wastelandman: lol no your right to bring it up anyway brings context. Personally no amps pure skill, I'd side with Loki due to experience. But with all his toys or any prep Stephen is too beastly. But that's my take on it.

I actually tried to tag you in a Shuma thread a few weeks ago needed your gauge on Shuma, but forget now who he was facing

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7ab6ae2106d
deactivated-5a7ab6ae2106d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loki's magic is basically illusion. Strange's is more versatile.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a7ab6ae2106d
deactivated-5a7ab6ae2106d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman: lol no your right to bring it up anyway brings context. Personally 1) no amps pure skill, I'd side with Loki due to 2) experience. But with all his 3) toys or 4) any prep Stephen is too beastly. But that's my take on it.

I actually tried to tag you in a Shuma thread a few weeks ago needed your gauge on Shuma, but forget now who he was facing

1) Strange usually operates with no amps (him going through and having to overcome some sort of depowering is far more common) and those he gets he generally takes with his existing power (it's an ability of those who mastered certain magic to be able to draw more in from other people or places) occasionally it's some item or something but almost always this is to compensate for one of the depowerings as I mentioned (when it's not it's situational). Strange often forgoes using things that would make him more powerful (such as certain spells). While on the flipside Loki is not without wanting to seek external power (this has been several plots). In fact, currently Loki is looking for a spell that Strange hid the existence of that acts as an amp (drawing and storing the magic of worlds). And Strange has shown far more skill with magic, and a greater plethora of it.

2) That's really hard to say, Strange spends far more time fighting mystic and cosmic threats, researching and practicing magic, plus he fought in a magic war that lasted 5,000 years. Loki is older sure, but how much of that time has been gaining experience in magic? Take a look at Thor for example and his "experience" while I'm not one of those people to deny he is skilled, it is obvious by what is shown to not be leaps and bounds better than those with minuscule experience in comparison. Which tells you their rate is much lower with much more time of other things in place of it. Besides, the Salome incident shows that doesn't matter much to him anyway (as does many of his foes he faces, plenty much older than Loki). There's a lot to be said of quality over quantity.

3) He almost always only carries the Eye of Agamotto and Cloak of Levitation. The Eye is powerful sure, but separate and its use is situational, the cloak's benefit is allowing him to fly without expending magic. Any of his other toys he almost always leaves at home and or to be used for a specific purpose.

4) This one is a significant misconception. In all his comic history the amount of times he gets to prep (especially in his own series) is very few and far between. More often than not it's his enemies that get it on him and he has to contend on the fly. Other times the prep isn't one-sided. Even more, when he gets a heads up on a situation his time is very brief (as he has to act quickly) where he at best gets to think up an approach and what traps he might be walking into.