Who's better at fight choreography? Russo Brothers or Zack Snyder?

• 116 results
loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Who's better at fight choreography? Russo Brothers or Zack Snyder? (161 votes)

Russo Bros. 50%
Zack Snyder 50%

I know Zack Snyder is better when it comes to visuals and cinematography while the Russo Bros. were better at storytelling but who's better at fight choreography?

• 
Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo Bros for Intesity and actual Choreography

Snyder for Visuals and Cinematography

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By adamTRMM

Warehouse smackdown and Smallville smashdown are the top echelon in both street level and high tier categories respectively.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

darkonast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistically Zack Snyder is a mastermind in fight choreography , when you look at best fights between MCU and DCEU , I look at Smallville , Zod vs, Superman and Doomsday vs the trinity , those are top of the line masterful scenes , realistically most people will say MCU because a lot of people are too prideful to admit Snyder is good at something , but man every movie he has mad so far has had amazing fights , even my all time favorite comic book film , Watchmen

m2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the Russos. The creativity and camera work is reminiscent of classic Hong Kong action cinema in its heyday, which I love!

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo's.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By The_Justiciar

Russos stomp.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 The_Kidd  Online

Street Level: Risso Brothers

High Tiers: Snyder

Avatar image for deactivated-6021b09dd509c
deactivated-6021b09dd509c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Russo's after IW.

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zack for higher tiers since his Kryptonians move insanely fast and did a lot of damage on the city while russo's ironman's hulkbuster vs hulk is like a very minor force of power.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seriously?

Intensity, Impact, Choreography, Cinematography are all on Snyder. Russos are in orders of magnitude below Snyder in this category.

Snyder actually have experience in directing action and fight sequences prior to the DCEU from 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch. No matter how you dislike Snyder movies, their action and fight sequences are so much better than anything in the MCU.

@gokluma said:

Zack for higher tiers since his Kryptonians move insanely fast and did a lot of damage on the city while russo's ironman's hulkbuster vs hulk is like a very minor force of power.

Russos directed AoU now?

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokluma said:

Lol. That's Joss Whedon not Russo Bros.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo's are good at having their characters use their powers in creative ways. I agree with the guy above that said their action scenes remind me of Hong Kong action films. They make sure their character's fighting styles are a reflection of their personality. Spiderman is distinctly different from Hulk, whom is distinctly different from Cap, whom is distinctly different from Thor.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 krisbishop  Moderator

Snyder's Batman warehouse fight scene honestly solos all.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
MarvelandDCfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MarvelandDCfan24

Zach Snyder stomps honestly the fight scenes in MOS and BVS were awesome and there wasn't anything wrong with and obviously sucks at plot and showing a coherent story

Russo weren't perfect Caps shield looks really fake sometimes and IW didnt gave jaw dropping fights

Honestly Whedon is better than Russos ignoring JL, AOU had awesome fights Hulk v Hulkbuster was awesome while Cull vs Hulkbuster sucked, Thanos v Hulk sucked, the only great IW war scenes were IM vs Cull and Ebony and and Thanos vs Ironman, and Thors 4 second intro to Wakanda

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gokluma

@zepta_pon: Sorry for the mistake but most MCU fights are just boring slow style or barely did much with higher tiers in terms of variety like their superpowers at all.

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder, but he's not winning this poll.

krisbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 krisbishop  Moderator

@rbt said:

This lol.

People's hate for the DCEU will blind them too much.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Russo's use Trent Opaloch for their cinematographer, who's style seems to be fairly grounded colours and nothing too insane in terms of framing and composition. In terms of how they look visually, The Winter Soldier and Civil War were pretty bland. In terms of Action choreography too, Russo's aren't that good IMO. Too much shaky cam in street tier action that misses out on the details. Plus the humongous amounts of cuts to hide the fact that the actors/stuntmen aren't skilled.

Shaky cam itself isn't bad. It looks good in spy movies to portray a shade of realism. But in Superhero movies, viewers want to see the action sequences in detail. Just re watch the Cap vs Bucky highway scene in TWS. The shaky cam combined with the numerous amount of cuts makes it unbearable. Now compare that to the Warehouse scene in BvS. The action choreography is absolutely fluid. You can see the kicks, the punches, the takedowns in absolute detail. The whole sequence is shot from the perspective of Batman from a single lens without shaking it. There were also very less number of cuts in the Warehouse scene. Everything was very fluid.

Action choreographers generally incorporate cuts to hide lack of skill. Consider the airport fight sequence in Civil War between BW and Hawkeye. This quick, 9 second scene has 12 cuts! It makes the fight super choppy and, frankly, look quite poor.

People also seem to have forgotten how good Whedon was in certain aspects. His action sequences were less grounded and more comicbooky. I mean Infinity War is great, easily the best story and visual film we've had from Marvel Studios. But one thing we didn't really get were the Avengers bouncing their abilities off of each other that much. Whereas in Avengers 1 we had Cap using his shield to reflect Iron Mans beam, Thor electrocuting a piece of metal that hulk slammed into the ground, and even Hawkeye covering the whole team. In AoU, we had Thor using caps shield to send a shock wave from Mjolnir at a group of enemies, and Thor and Ironman teaming up to destroy the city. Apart from the Doc Strange portals with starlord it feels like we didn't get combinations of power in Infinity War like we did in the first 2 Avengers films.

Snyder movies on the other hand are a class apart in terms of visuals, cinematography, set design and action choreography. No quick cuts, less shaky cam, very fluid action sequences, stunning visuals combined with absolutely beautiful background scores make them a visual spectacle. The Action sequences in Man of Steel, 300, BvS are absolutely brilliant.

In terms of superhero movies, I don't think anything even comes close to Superman vs Zod in Metropolis from Man of Steel.

IceHeart_30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo

Gokluma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zepta_pon: Yup but imagined if Zack synder did the action while Russo brothers did the writing for films be like?

deathstroke512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gateofbabylon: But he got tagged and you do know that by cv logic if you get tagged you are the worst fighter ever.Anyone can beat batman because he got tagged.I just read it yesterday.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

This lol.

People's hate for the DCEU will blind them too much.

Explain what's special about his style? His high tiered battles are just seeing who can punch the hardest.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russos....Synder has great fight scenes but he can't handle more than three charcters on screen at once.

loyngulpany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just noticed that when I played both the warehouse scene and the highway scene. The explosion scene of both synced together and I don't know why. Lol

Glavene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russos and its not even close lol

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both aren't bad, the warehouse scene was more intense tbh.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Going with Snyder because the Russo's makes theirs look that one little bit too choreographed that takes me from 'he's really doing this' to 'hold on this is a practiced dance'. And I think what helps Snyder a bit is that his characters make mistakes during the fights... like Batman getting both stabbed and shot in the head during the warehouse fight and Flash slipping around when he's trying to avoid Superman.

And it's the same when you move up to big superpowered fights, which might be more of a Marvel thing in general, but every Avenger movie and all of the Thor movies has this thing where the team at one point faces off against a horde of somekind and generally creams it. And it just makes it feel toothless, like 'here comes the horde, strike a pose and que the awesome music, dont worry the big bad isn't here so everyone's safe'.
Admittedly Snyder doesn't exactly do horde fights any better, but so far there's only really been one movie with it.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russos....Synder has great fight scenes but he can't handle more than three charcters on screen at once.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377
deactivated-5b3ee3ec20377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder’s dung shouldn’t even be lumped in with the Russo’s.

macleen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russos suck with high tiers but are good with low tiers

Worldofthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder by far. Batman warehouse fight solos. He conveyed a feeling of intensity and danger as well as awesomess WITHOUT using a whole bunch of cuts and shaky cam which the Russos rely on a lot. He makes great fight scenes by actually making gooe fight scenes and not relying on a lot of cuts and shaky cam. Plus the warehouse fight was just better than any of Russos' fight scenes.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Street Level: Risso Brothers

High Tiers: Snyder

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Close poll currently. I voted Snyder. MoS still is some of the best high tier cgi action and for practical there's the warehouse scene in bvs and of course, watchmen.

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christopher Nolan, come at me.

Avatar image for petey_is_spidey
Petey_is_Spidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Christopher Nolan, come at me.

My God no....

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zepta_Pon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Going with Snyder because the Russo's makes theirs look that one little bit too choreographed that takes me from 'he's really doing this' to 'hold on this is a practiced dance'. And I think what helps Snyder a bit is that his characters make mistakes during the fights... like Batman getting both stabbed and shot in the head during the warehouse fight and Flash slipping around when he's trying to avoid Superman.

And it's the same when you move up to big superpowered fights, which might be more of a Marvel thing in general, but every Avenger movie and all of the Thor movies has this thing where the team at one point faces off against a horde of somekind and generally creams it. And it just makes it feel toothless, like 'here comes the horde, strike a pose and que the awesome music, dont worry the big bad isn't here so everyone's safe'.

Admittedly Snyder doesn't exactly do horde fights any better, but so far there's only really been one movie with it.

I'm not exactly sure which movie are you talking about, 300 or Sucker Punch. But either way, there are at least 2 of them actually.

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Say what you will about Sucker Punch, but the action and fight sequences in this movie already tops everything in the MCU.

CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zepta_pon:

A lot of slow motion doesn’t mean it can be better.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By buttersdaman000

Snyder easily, but of course he isn't winning this poll lol

@saberscar223 said:

Russo Bros for Intesity and actual Choreography

Snyder for Visuals and Cinematography

I don't think you understand good fight choreography if you say this. Even the fights in TWS were full of shaky cam and unnecessary cuts.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Russo’s easily. DCEU can’t hold a candle to anything the Russo’s have done.

JakeFuryV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Snyder.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That is tough. One one hand, the Russos directed the highway fight and the airport battle. On the other hand, Synder directed the warehouse scene.

I'm going for the Russos due to their consistency. Synder has 1 awesome fight scene, the Russos have many.

Richubs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Richubs

@buttersdaman000: To be honest the shaky cam in Winter Soldier was well used.

But in Civil War, oh boy it all became average.

The Black Panther versus Bucky fight was downright shit for me.

But because of Infinity war is a hard vote. Even though Snyder is still better for me.