#1 Edited by the_wspanialy (4036 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

While Obi-Wan turned out to be a good teacher, and performed admirably considereing the circumstances, it is obvious he was not ready to take his own apprentice, less alone a kid with so many issues like Anakin. So, who in your opinion would make a good master for little Ani?

You don't have to stick to characters from PT or to the Jedi for that matter. Ask yourself who in the entire lore would be the best teacher for Ani, both in terms of abilities and character.

#3 Posted by i_like_swords (26205 posts) - - Show Bio

Qui-Gon

#4 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16533 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn, yeah. Dooku, if he stayed a Jedi would've also been a good choice.

#5 Posted by RGR (411 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by RabumAlal (5002 posts) - - Show Bio

Chancellor Palpatine

#7 Posted by huthimamwa (2429 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone with enough knowledge of the Dark Side to properly educate Anakin about the dangers of it. Admittedly my knowledge of the greater lore is limited but is there any Jedi Knight/Master who has been tempted or even momentarily swayed by the Dark Side and overcome it? (Other than Vader for obvious reasons...) If so, that person would be perfect for Ani. Education about the Dark Side rather than sheltering from it could have saved Anakin. He may not have been so interested in Palpatine's seduction.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
#8 Posted by Greysentinel365 (6206 posts) - - Show Bio

Mace

#9 Posted by Richard96 (5748 posts) - - Show Bio

Qui-Gon or Yoda.

#10 Edited by i_like_swords (26205 posts) - - Show Bio

A'Sharad Hett too tbh. Maybe Tholme or Vos too.

Avatar image for grandmastergoat
#11 Posted by GrandmasterGoat (67 posts) - - Show Bio

Jorus C'baoth lol

#12 Posted by Slayedigneel (1920 posts) - - Show Bio

Revan, tbh.

Anakin could learn a thing or two with being able to love someone, without going off the rails.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#13 Edited by FullMetalEmprah (4509 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely Qui-Gon, but I also believe Anakin would have thrived in the New Jedi Order from Legends. If I remember correctly, in Luke's Jedi Order marriage and having a family was allowed, and Anakin would likely have felt more respected in the Order as a whole. I don't really see how Sidious could lure Anakin to the Dark Side when the Order isn't getting in the way of his love life and so long as he had a decent master(maybe even Luke himself).

#14 Edited by CuckedCurry (963 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn for sure. I don’t think anyone would’ve been able to change the outcome of ROTS though.

#15 Posted by Darkthunder (2147 posts) - - Show Bio

Revan

Avatar image for deactivated-5cae4704c27f5
#16 Posted by deactivated-5cae4704c27f5 (1660 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by Warlockmage (9223 posts) - - Show Bio

im gonna break away from the herd and say someone like Kyle Katarn or Corran Horn would probably have been a good master for Anakin.

if we are staying true to the time frame someone like Jinn would have been better yes.

#18 Posted by RedHeathen (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

I've always thought that it would have been best if Jinn could have remained Anakin's master.

Jinn was a noted maverick yet was far from the dark side. I think he could have worked with Anakin's emotional issues and kept Anakin from turning to the dark side better than anyone else.

#19 Posted by rogueshadow (29274 posts) - - Show Bio

I feel like it just is Qui-Gon, it's just the indisputable right answer.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#20 Edited by RedHood_JayTodd (1681 posts) - - Show Bio

Yoda, just like how he was a great master to Luke. I think Grandmaster Yoda could've saved Anakin from the Dark side or at least prevented it to the extent that it ultimately did. Yoda sensed that there was something dark brewing in Anakin even before he converted to the Dark side, so had he been given the chance, I think Yoda could've worked with Anakin on his emotional and anxiety issues.

#21 Posted by mrmonster (15186 posts) - - Show Bio

No Jedi master would've been a good mentor, because the Jedi themselves led him down his path. They completely ignored obvious signs that something dark was growing inside of him. Palpatine understood him and his emotional state better than anyone in the Jedi order, that's why he ultimately won.

#22 Posted by Supermanthor (18992 posts) - - Show Bio

No Jedi master would've been a good mentor, because the Jedi themselves led him down his path. They completely ignored obvious signs that something dark was growing inside of him. Palpatine understood him and his emotional state better than anyone in the Jedi order, that's why he ultimately won.

#23 Posted by Reactor (4355 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: To be fair, Palpatine would have won with or without Anakin. Anakin was just the icing, but Palpatine already had his cake.

#24 Posted by TJTheDuelist (354 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn, Revan or Jolee Bindo

#25 Posted by darkonast (769 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Satele Shan???

#26 Posted by LordOfTheLight (2678 posts) - - Show Bio

Making it the entire lore is kind of pointless since the number of variables is too high.

In that situation however, the best master would have been Mace, undoubtedly. He would discipline Anakin in a path that would not only result in much better self control and awareness but anger itself is something you cannot control. Yeah, everybody has anger issues but some do more than others especially in the case of Anakin and his situation

Obi Wan was essentially just a padawan, and even he trained Anakin extremely well. He just fell short by some margin, but imagine if he was a seasoned master and then had the responsibility of training him. This is not a coincidence. The line Yoda/Dooku/Qui Gon/Obi Wan/Anakin has been noted to have a bit of the dark side to it. Meaning Obi Wan himself could relate to and thus mentor Anakin better than most Jedi of his time could. However, he wouldn't have been able to do it to nearly the same extent as Mace did. Not only does Mace have much higher inner discipline than TPM Kenobi but Vaapad could actually be the best form for Anakin, creating the perfect outlet for his inner anger right from the start and molding him into a Jedi much like Mace himself there.

You could arguably say that he would be the best Master for Anakin throughout the lore yeah, but that's as I said, too speculative

Avatar image for echostarlord117
#27 Posted by echostarlord117 (5615 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn, Revan or Jolee Bindo

Revan would be a terrible, terrible choice for Anakin...

#28 Posted by StormShadow_X (16700 posts) - - Show Bio

Mace or Qui-Gon

#29 Edited by Kilius (1613 posts) - - Show Bio

Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan was 25, a mature adult and the perfectly optimal age to take on an apprentice. His training was perfectly adequate. In the end it was up to Anakin to make the right choices in his life and when presented the option he choose the dark side. As Yoda himself said: "Choose this Skywalker did".

For those who are suggesting Jinn, let's not forget he trained Xanatos who turned into one of the worst dark Jedi. And Jinn himself had issues with attachment (R.I.P Tahl).

Mace trained Depa . She mastered Vaapad and yet ptsd still pushed her to the dark side. Anakin mastering Vaapad wouldn't circumvent his attachment to Padme or his lust to be the most powerful. If anything learning Vaapad could push him closer to the edge.

#30 Posted by Slayedigneel (1920 posts) - - Show Bio

@echostarlord117:

Why? one of anakin's main weakness is his love for padme conflicting with the Jedi orders code.

Revan/Luke would be prime teachers for anakin, to understand and control his emotion(love for padme), preventing palpatine from playing into it.

Revan would give anakin the answers, he was looking for. With teaching him how to not fall further.

#31 Posted by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

Windu teaching Anakin Vapaad would have been interesting.

Avatar image for echostarlord117
#32 Posted by echostarlord117 (5615 posts) - - Show Bio

@slayedigneel: Anakin's main weakness was his desire to keep Padme safe above all else. He was already in an unabashed relationship with her, so it's not like the Order's rules against love significantly led to his downfall. The problem with the Jedi Order is that it simply emasculated him. The Council shut down his curiosity and seemed to ignore his natural talent and merit. It brought out the hatred in him and was a major catalyst in his demise. However, what really made him turn was Palpatine's lie: the dark side provided the means to save the ones he loved from dying. This wasn't true, but Anakin was so delusional at that point that Palpatine had no trouble manipulating him. All the Order did was give Darth Sidious ammunition.

Revan is bold when it comes to the dark side. Having been a Sith Lord, he embraces its power and has the wisdom and experience to tame it at least in his later years. That is not someone Anakin should be around. Anakin was brash and adamant. Revan was a fount of knowledge and wisdom. While he might've provided intelligent guidance, it would've been pragmatic and cynical, too (at least in my opinion). The dude has seen a lot and his knowledge of the Force is more or less second to none. His arcane teachings would either have been misinterpreted by Anakin or outright ignored. Assuming we're not focusing on any of Revan's dark periods, he'd likely be the first to tell Anakin that he can't change the future, that events have been set in motion dooming his wife to death. This was the truth as we all saw. However, as we already know, Skywalkers don't take no for an answer.

Luke, while a better option, is in my opinion a fairly poor role model for the Anakin types. I mean, look at what happened with Jacen Solo. I have no doubt in my mind that were Luke to go back in time and attempt to steer Anakin in the right direction, he'd be overwhelmed by Anakin's rebelliousness and fail to stop his transition.

#33 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn or Mace, tbh.

#34 Edited by Paytience (4917 posts) - - Show Bio

No one. The whole point to it was that no one was supposed to be his master. His father was The FORCE. It was the arrogance of the Sith and Jedi that brought them to imbalance, and it was that same arrogance that led both sides to believe that the chosen one was "there's" and it was not only their duty but their right and destiny to "control" him. But that loyalty to light or dark is not balance.

Like Luke said...the Jedi must die.

Haven't you guys been paying attention?

#35 Posted by Kilius (1613 posts) - - Show Bio

Jinn or Mace, tbh.

Xanatos and Depa would disagree.

#36 Posted by Dawn_of_Ages (2527 posts) - - Show Bio

@kilius: Darth Bane gets one-shot by either

Avatar image for theoneabovelife
#37 Posted by TheOneAboveLife (971 posts) - - Show Bio

Revan, tbh.

Anakin could learn a thing or two with being able to love someone, without going off the rails.

With Raven at his side, Anakin would have reached his full potential.

#38 Posted by the_wspanialy (4036 posts) - - Show Bio

@kilius said:

Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan was 25, a mature adult and the perfectly optimal age to take on an apprentice. His training was perfectly adequate. In the end it was up to Anakin to make the right choices in his life and when presented the option he choose the dark side. As Yoda himself said: "Choose this Skywalker did".

For those who are suggesting Jinn, let's not forget he trained Xanatos who turned into one of the worst dark Jedi. And Jinn himself had issues with attachment (R.I.P Tahl).

Mace trained Depa . She mastered Vaapad and yet ptsd still pushed her to the dark side. Anakin mastering Vaapad wouldn't circumvent his attachment to Padme or his lust to be the most powerful. If anything learning Vaapad could push him closer to the edge.

His age might be optimal, his experience was not. And Anakin was not your typical Jedi padawan who has been practicaly indoctrinated by Jedi dogma from infancy. He has already experienced more shit in life than many adults.

What has Anakin heared when he went to Yoda for advice? Basically "Fucks stop giving, of death of your loved ones rejoice". Thanks a lot, great wizard.

Qui-Gon had his bad moments. So? Don't we all? When it came to making a choice, Qui-Gon rejected the dark side and later turned into the most compassionate and conscious of the Jedi.

You bring Xanatos and Depa, I bring Dooku. Who of the three has turned out to be the Jedi's "greatest failure"?

Avatar image for theonewhopullsthestrings
#39 Posted by TheOneWhoPullsTheStrings (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Revan, tbh.

This. I feel the dumb adherence to 'no relationships, ever - lead to the dark side' was one of the things that really contributed to the Jedi downfall, and led to in some people like Anakin, an inability to rationally cope and deal with situations of that nature.