Who makes more money Batman or Superman?

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigcimmerian

- Question is simple, who is bigger money maker of the two?

- Who is more popular character?

- Who do you think will be the major star in the Justice League movie?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

1.) Batman

2.) Superman

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By PurpleCandy

Comic fans lean toward Batman more. Though well-established its in the general populace's common sense to know who Superman is over Batman

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Batman but I have always preferred Clark

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Deranged Midget

To the masses, I'd have to say Batman is slightly more popular than Superman.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By WarBlade539

Batman, thanks to 'Batman: The Animated Series' and the Nolanverse trilogy.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CrimsonCake

@TheCrowbar said:

1.) Batman

2.) Superman

It should be the other way around but sadly it isn't >.>

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By turoksonofstone

Batman.

Mini_Bat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Mini_Bat

The Dark Knight always beats the Man of Steel

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JamesKM716

Batman is the bigger money maker i think, and more popular at the moment.

But i'm hoping the Man of Steel stars or at least has a big role in the Justice League movie

mpierce2690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mpierce2690

Between the comics, the movies, and the animated movies/series, it's definitely gotta be Batman. But truth be told, Superman is still the better character and I'd take him all day everyday over Batman, and I say that as a fan who loves both dearly.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By xybernauts

Batman is the bigger money maker. MOVIES Batman (1943), Batman (1966), Batman (1989), Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993), Batman Begins (2005) TV Batman (1966), The Batman/Superman Hour (1968), Batman: The Animated Series (1992), The Batman (2004), Batman: The Brave and the Bold (2008) and we haven't even mentioned the successful video games...GAMES Batman (1986), The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1994), Batman: Vengeance (2001), Lego Batman: The Video Game (2008), Batman: Arkham Asylum (2009), Batman: Arkham City (2011) But if they had a Justice League movie all characters should get equal treatment, but Superman should take the lead.

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By icysloth

Batman makes more money for sure

80sBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 80sBaby

As far as biggest money maker, it's Superman, NO CONTEST. Supe's merchandising/brand recognition still makes more money for WB than Batman, even after all the movies (Look it up.) Popularity goes to Batman, again, NO QUESTION. As far as the JL movie, it'll be both of them, front and center.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman by far is the bigger money maker, more recognizable & more popular of the 2 character when you consider the entire population & not just a select group of people. If you are just surveying 15 year old boys then of course it's most likely going to be Batman.

As far as who will be front and center, they both will be.

xybernauts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xybernauts

I'd love to see something that backs up the idea that Supes is the big moneymaker.

Army2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Army2442

Batman, But superman is the default face of D.C. just like how Spider-Man is the face of Marvel.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Batman makes more money in the comic books, and in real life media as well, since he has a bunch of movies.

For more popular character, I'd have to say Superman used to have that mantle, but after the recent Dark Knight movies, Batman has the edge.

And I'll have to say Superman will be the bigger star. More far-fetched powers and such.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#19  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Batman

Batman

Batman

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SmashBrawler

@BigCimmerian said:

Batman. Superman is more recognizable, but Batman is the one whose name sells more right now.

In terms of popularity as in the better liked character, that title goes to Batman currently. Superman is the most recognizable superhero, though.

I hope it's Superman.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By bigcimmerian

@SmashBrawler said:

@BigCimmerian said:

Batman. Superman is more recognizable, but Batman is the one whose name sells more right now.

In terms of popularity as in the better liked character, that title goes to Batman currently. Superman is the most recognizable superhero, though.

I hope it's Superman.

It will probably be like in the comics, Batman will figure out some plan and Superman will execute that plan.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jwalser3

Batman easily. I mean he has like what 4 or 5 stories out, while Superman has 2? And the movies and merch, I seem to see more of Batman.

Duke_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Duke_Nasty

1.Batman

2.Batman

3.Superman

Mega_spidey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Mega_spidey01

batman because's he has the best stories, movies, swagger, women, villians, videogames he is top dog of The DC universe. superman is a loser.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By thespideyguy

In the comics Bruce is a billionaire, while Clark is a reporter. Superman is more recognizable and more popular, however there are like ten batman books that feature batman versus two superman books that feature superman. In the movie they will have some competition which will add to the dynamic.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Jack Donaghy

No offense but I'm kinda shocked this question is asked as often as it is because Batman is clearly more popular whenever I hear a non comic book fan talk about Superman they always bring up how boring and overpowered they think he is, a lot of them think he's a generic unoriginal character. They're even in fame in America, while Superman has the edge worldwide. And it's not only because of the Nolan movies, Batman: TAS, and the Arkham games have helped too. Also the fact that we live in a darker more cynical world where characters like the also dark and conflicted Wolverine and a snarky egotist like Iron Man/Tony Stark are extremely popular. People seem to think of Superman as a stereotypical 50's boy scout goody two shoes Leave it to Beaver type of character and that's why is popularity has waned over the years. I think the reason people say he's more popular is because he's more iconic and famous but that doesn't equal being more popular. Thor made more money than Superman Returns meaning his movie was more popular but that doesn't mean Thor is more iconic the reverse doesn't work here either. Just because you asked a non comic book reader to name a superhero and they name the one with the word super in his name doesn't mean he's their favorite hero. Just because someone says "the New York Yankees" when asked to name a baseball team doesn't mean they're their favorite team.

To use a wrestling analogy (because I'm a wrestling fan) it's why someone like Stone Cold Steve Austin is more popular than a more morally perfect character like John Cena. Superman is still really popular just not as popular as other heroes who aren't seen as being as perfect like Batman, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and Wolverine. As for a JLA movie I think they both should be presented as the leaders but I think Superman will be the clear cut leader.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By minigunman123

Batman has made more money lately, by far (Nolan is directly responsible for this, and if you consider movie money as well, he's also responsible for the 2.5 billion dollars his movies made in the last 7 years)

Superman is more easily recognizable to almost everyone. Batman is more popular to most; the very casual, very non-serious appreciators of comic books and/or the superheroes at all, will cling to Superman, but many people I've spoken with prefer Batman because the feeling amongst the average populace is that Superman isn't relatable enough, and too powerful and predictable in some ways.

Personally, I like Superman, but he's not a crime fighter. He's a super-villain fighter. He can't solve crime. He can't deduce anything. He's not a scientist of any type. He's incredibly strong with his morals, and he's amazingly powerful, which are the reasons he's such a valuable, trustworthy, and reliable member of the Justice League. He's also not a fool. He's not overly intelligent, but he's not dumb at all, and he's not unwise or foolish; he's pretty much the ideal good-guy. This is also the reason people often prefer Batman. Batman is flawed. He's human. He struggles, he sacrifices, he deduces, he fights humans much of the time, and he fights and solves crimes that aren't exactly common, but they're more common than super-villains are. This is what makes Batman more relatable in many people's eyes.

However.

Superman will likely be the star of the Justice League movie, between these two.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KnightRise

I want Batman and Superman to clash in the film, a friendly rivalry

Inb4 "Avenger rip-off!"

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ssejllenrad

1. Batman. More hardcore comic fans buy Batman comics. Plus he's got more exposure, shows and merchandise right now.

2. Superman has more fans. Everybody knows Superman. But Batman fanboys are louder and more abundant

3. Hopefully none of the two. Hell, hopefully none of the Trinity. JL movie must about the team.

ochoacruz22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batman Batman BATMAN!!!!!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

1. Batman

2. Superman

3. Equal

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

Jack Donaghy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jack Donaghy

I've been googling this topic and while I don't know who makes more money (none of do we don't work for DC/WB) but from recent polls asking people who their favorite superhero is Batman won a few. Parade.com asked their facebook fans who their favorite superhero was these are the results: http://www.parade.com/celebrity/slideshows/editors-pick/facebook-superheroes.html#?slideindex=0 the quick results are: 1. Batman 2. Superman 3. Power Rangers (yeah this confuses me too) 4. Spider-Man 5. The Thing 6. Wonder Woman 7. Wolverine 8. Hulk 9. Thor 10. Aquaman (there ya go Aquaman fans a little love for Arthur) This question was also asked on Entertainment Weekly's site: http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/09/06/superhero-showdown-batman-champion/ Batman won a tournament they had beating Superman in the finals. These aren't fanboy heavy sites either, most of the people they asked are non comic reading fans. I'm sure someone's going to say he only won because of Nolan while that's a big reason of his popularity it's not the biggest reason for it.

Also if movie success was so important to popularity with the general audience why weren't characters like Spider-Man and Iron Man more popular than Superman? He hasn't had a popular movie in decades whereas those 2 have, but like Batman he's so iconic he doesn't need movies to stay popular. Though I still think Spider-Man is more popular than Superman and the most popular hero with kids over Batman too.

So most popular: Batman to deny it would be silly just like it would have been silly to deny Superman was more popular from the 30's to the 80's. I see more men, women and children in his shirts and see more kids with his toys. Superman's still extremely popular though.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Biggest money maker? Its Batman no doubt. Batman has 3 blockbuster movies (Batman, TDK, TDKR) which out-classes any Superman movie financially and in terms of audience attendance. Also movies like Batman Begins, Batman Forever, Batman returns are considered financially successful. Batman has 4 financially successful games (Lego 1 & 2, Arkham 1 & 2) with another 2 on the way while Superman had none. The DVD and Blu-ray sales of the Batman live-action movies along with the animated movies and shows are also much higher Batman also dominates in the merchandise sales. And all of his comics are always in the top. So Batman stomps big in this category.
  • Batman is the more popular one. In America both Batman and Superman are equally popular, but outside of America most people know Superman by name only but can hardly tell anything about him except that he wears an underwear outside his pants and can fly, but they know more about Batman due to more than 20 years of heavy exposure through movies, games, animated series/movies, merchandising etc. etc. Also Robin, Joker, Catwoman and Gotham come into play when we're talking about Batman. Robin has always been popular with the kids and teens, Joker is one of the most recognizable villains and Catwoman is the ultimate bad-ass femme fatale, also which fictional city is more popular than Gotham? Overall more people are familiar of the name Superman but more people know about Batman.
  • Who I think will be the major star in the JL movie? That's a tough question. As of now, we know that Superman is the only member of the JL who has a solo movie that possibly ties with the JL movie so they won't make him take the backseat but Batman is the biggest cash-cow of WB/DC so they definitely won't undermine the character. So I say they'll both have equally major roles in the movie.
Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:
  • Biggest money maker? Its Batman no doubt. Batman has 3 blockbuster movies (Batman, TDK, TDKR) which out-classes any Superman movie financially and in terms of audience attendance. Also movies like Batman Begins, Batman Forever, Batman returns are considered financially successful. Batman has 4 financially successful games (Lego 1 & 2, Arkham 1 & 2) with another 2 on the way while Superman had none. The DVD and Blu-ray sales of the Batman live-action movies along with the animated movies and shows are also much higher Batman also dominates in the merchandise sales. And all of his comics are always in the top. So Batman stomps big in this category.
  • Batman is the more popular one. In America both Batman and Superman are equally popular, but outside of America most people know Superman by name only but can hardly tell anything about him except that he wears an underwear outside his pants and can fly, but they know more about Batman due to more than 20 years of heavy exposure through movies, games, animated series/movies, merchandising etc. etc. Also Robin, Joker, Catwoman and Gotham come into play when we're talking about Batman. Robin has always been popular with the kids and teens, Joker is one of the most recognizable villains and Catwoman is the ultimate bad-ass femme fatale, also which fictional city is more popular than Gotham? Overall more people are familiar of the name Superman but more people know about Batman.
  • Who I think will be the major star in the JL movie? That's a tough question. As of now, we know that Superman is the only member of the JL who has a solo movie that possibly ties with the JL movie so they won't make him take the backseat but Batman is the biggest cash-cow of WB/DC so they definitely won't undermine the character. So I say they'll both have equally major roles in the movie.

Agreed. It's a shame there's not a decent Superman video game though.