Who Is Wonder Woman?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Wonder Woman is one of the oldest continuing comic book characters in history. Since her debut in All-Star Comics #8--in 1941--she's appeared in over a thousand comics as well as in television series, and now, her very own solo films. But who is she and what role does she play in the DC Universe? Here is a quick 101 on Wonder Woman.

No Caption Provided

Diana Prince--also known as Wonder Woman--made her debut in the early '40s, during the golden age of comics. Originally, a pilot named Steve Trevor crashed his plane onto Paradise Island (later retitled Themyscira), which was the home of Prince and the Amazons. Men had not been on the island since the days of Ancient Greece.

Prince wanted to take Trevor back to America, but the queen of the Amazons, Hippolyta, had to consult the gods before she made a decision. It was later decided that only the strongest warrior could bring Trevor back to the United States, so a tournament was held to determine who it should be. Prince went undercover--to prove she was a worthy of the task without her mother knowing--and ended up winning the tournament. For her victory, Hippolyta gave Prince the Wonder Woman costume we all know today.

No Caption Provided

In the early days, Wonder Woman didn't have the same power set she has now. She was tremendously strong, being able to swing a full-grown man above her head at ease. She was also able to run up to speeds of 80 MPH. Finally, she had bracelets that could deflect bullets. The only other familiar element would be Wonder Woman's invisible jet. In addition, she wasn't birthed. She was created out of clay, and Greek gods gave her life, making her the only person on Paradise Island not originally conceived by a man. Later on, Wonder Woman was given her lasso of truth, her sword, and her shield, all of which she still uses today.

Since the golden age of comics, Wonder Woman has gone through many changes. During the The New 52--a reboot of the DC Universe--her origin was retconned a tad. Now, she was the child of Hippolyta and Zeus, making her a demigod.

Currently, Wonder Woman is written by Greg Rucka and features the art of Liam Sharp and Nicola Scott. The bimonthly series rotates between two stories which revolve around Wonder Woman's connection to her past life in Themyscira and the gods that guide her. It's been a series that has fleshed out the character for a new generation of readers.

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman is part of the Trinity at DC comics, which are the three most popular characters at the company: Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman. She has been a member of many iconic groups: Justice Society, Justice League, and the All-Star Squadron. Over the years, she's been involved in some amazing storylines, so if you'd like to read more, check these books out:

• Wonder Woman: Gods and Mortals - A reimagining of the character's origin by iconic creator George Perez.
  • Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon - Wonder Woman takes on Medusa and makes the ultimate sacrifice. Writer Greg Rucka teams with artist Drew Johnson for this story.
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead - After the events of Eyes of the Gorgon, Wonder Woman has to take on Cheetah and Reverse-Flash.
  • Justice League: Darkseid War - The Justice League takes on Darkseid and someone else with a connection to Wonder Woman.
  • Wonder Woman by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang - Issues #0-35 of the New 52 run of Wonder Woman redefine the character and her roots to the gods. It is undoubtedly one of the best modern DC comic runs.
  • Wonder Woman: Year One - Greg Rucka returns to tell the story of the first year of Diana as the Earth's protector, with Nicola Scott on art.

Wonder Woman comes to theater on Friday, June 2. You can check out GameSpot's review of the movie here.

sladerulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Man... This is fricking awesome

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

watched the movie today, it was AMAZING

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't seen da movie yet i hope its good or at least ok scince dceu has been pretty terrible

BlueHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was epic, I hope it bring wonder woman back to the spotlight as the A-tier superhero that she is.

SteppinRazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooohh awesome! I've been wanting some good and classic Wonder Woman recommendations . Right now I'm just reading her New 52 books, still in the beginning.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's out already?

jorgeareizaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I LOVE WONDER WOMAN SHE IS THE BEST WOMAN

THE BEST SUPER HEROINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE THE MOVIE!!!!!!!!

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Movie was amazing. A definite recommendation for any comic fan.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd also recommend JLA: League of One for good Wonder Woman stories. It is a JLA story but Wonder Woman is basically the lead in it and she has some great moments in that story.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Movie was amazing. It had the right amount of humor(not too much like marvel movies), it challenge your way of thinking(like BM V SM), and it was extremely inspiring. I had no faith in this being a good movie, because honestly she is the most underrated character in DC despite her title, but it was AMAZING!

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Can't wait to see the movie!

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm excited to go see WW tonight.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

It's a Wonderful Movie.

Avatar image for bowlt_swagg_320
bowlt_swagg_320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Satisfied

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 NightFang3  Online

It hurts men that this article even needs to exist.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just watched the movie, it was nice. Though they could have done a better job on Ares.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Just watched the movie, it was nice. Though they could have done a better job on Ares.

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very true. That was my only problem with it.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_majestros: His CGI sucks..and him using telekinesis was a lacklustre.

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By king_majestros

@the_titan_lord: I was hoping they would have focused more on his ability to absorb the essences of war, with him being able to grow in size and whatnot.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_majestros: That would have been cool. I was expecting a massive brawl between the two and better CGI. The late part of the movie was lazy. Playing catch-up with Marvel may have something to do with that lazy ending. It was really sad.

God_glip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The movie was awesome. She is very strong, even with her shiny silver bracelets.

SmoothJammin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched this film three times in a span of two days. Don't think I've ever done that with any other movie before. It was exceptional.

anujsharma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laabitres: If you like Wonder women movie then you definitely more like <a href="https://wp.me/p99Eof-1Ht">Justice League</a> Movie