Who is the most Mary Sue character ever?

#201 Posted by ourmanuel (12636 posts) - - Show Bio
#202 Posted by King_Hellstorm (545 posts) - - Show Bio
#203 Posted by ArranVid (2800 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahem...the obvious one you all forgot to mention...Mary Sue

#204 Posted by RBT (29463 posts) - - Show Bio

@mutant1230:

CW Oliver is most definitely not a Mary Sue.

Agreed. He's probably the most flawed of the big 4 of DCCW.

I don't think Hermione is either since her by the rules attitude is considered to be difficult and annoying in-universe. Mary Sues can't have any annoying quirks or difficult personality traits.

Yeah, fair.

#205 Posted by Deadlyeyes (289 posts) - - Show Bio

People Misunderstand what Mary Sue actually means. A Mary Sue is character who is perfect at everything, has no flaws, and never fails. All the above mentioned characters (including Rey) do have flaws. Therefore they don't qualify as mary sues.

#206 Posted by TifaLockhart (21444 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos. He cannot lose. If he does lose, it's an inferior Thanosi.

#207 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio

Mysterio.

#208 Posted by SocaJunkie (9178 posts) - - Show Bio
#209 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

People Misunderstand what Mary Sue actually means. A Mary Sue is character who is perfect at everything, has no flaws, and never fails. All the above mentioned characters (including Rey) do have flaws. Therefore they don't qualify as mary sues.

So Rey "I beat someone with decades of training" isn't a mary sue?

#210 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Dr. Doom is someone that has mary sue-ish tendencies.

#211 Posted by CCThor (1901 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman.

#212 Posted by TobyMaguire (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadlyeyes said:

Kylo Ren literally took a hit from Blaster that should have killed any normal person. He was already deeply injured and was holding back and underestimating Rey. He though he could bring her to the dark side.

#213 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1949 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadlyeyes said:

No tbh, just compare that with characters like Batman and it's nothing special anymore.

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
#214 Posted by FinalKingThanos (2743 posts) - - Show Bio

I’m not sure many comic characters are complete Mary Sues but ones like these do have those moments often but it works they are great characters -

Batman

Superman

Reed Richards or any super smart character.

#215 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically any anime/manga character.

#216 Edited by Deadlyeyes (289 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Missing context. Kylo Ren was severley injured. BTW I disliked the fight and think Kylo Ren should have won.

Rey is close to being a mary sue but not quite there yet IMO.

She couldn't fly the millennium falcon properly in TFA.

She gets easily captured by Kylo Ren, and has to be rescued by Finn later in the film. She gets force pushed by Kylo and passes out.

In TLJ she gets tossed around by Snoke like a ragdoll.

She could barely hold her own against one of Snoke's red guards.

So in conclusion, she doesn't fit the overall description of what a mary sue is.

#217 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Missing context. Kylo Ren was severley injured. BTW I disliked the fight and think Kylo Ren should have won.

Rey is close to being a mary sue but not quite there yet IMO.

She couldn't fly the millennium falcon properly in TFA.

She gets easily captured by Kylo Ren, and has to be rescued by Finn later in the film. She gets force pushed by Kylo and passes out.

In TLJ she gets tossed around by Snoke like a ragdoll.

She could barely hold her own against one of Snoke's red guards.

So in conclusion, she doesn't fit the overall description of what a mary sue is.

And yet she later is able to do it without any problems, is able to fix it when even Han couldn't.

But before she gets captured she takes out several soldiers by literally shooting them, even though she has never used a gun before at this point.

Fair point.

Yeah, she shouldn't be able to fight against them at all, they should stomp her into the ground, considering that she has had almost no training but yet she manages to hold herself against them. And later on she takes out several and even helps Kylo when he's in trouble.

#218 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89 said:
@deadlyeyes said:

No tbh, just compare that with characters like Batman and it's nothing special anymore.

Expect Batman traveled the world and trained for years to be what he is now.

#219 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Basically any anime/manga character.

Yeah because Shinji Ikari for sure is a mary sue...

#220 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio
#221 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Yeah, I don't know who that is.

I mean it's just an example I made. Your comment that basically all anime/manga characters are mary sues just isn't true.

#222 Posted by SocaJunkie (9178 posts) - - Show Bio
#223 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio
#224 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio
#225 Posted by SocaJunkie (9178 posts) - - Show Bio

@lowmagekage: About anime characters, a key component in being a Mary Sue is having no flaws which isn’t accurate for anime characters.

#226 Posted by Asil_Arieb (72 posts) - - Show Bio

This is..hmm

#227 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: They all seem ridiculously overpowered.

Being overpowered doesn't mean that you're a mary sue. You can write a character that is multiversal but as long as they have flaws, they're not mary sues. It's not about power level, it's about their flaws and how other people view them. A mary sue would be liked be everyone for example.

#228 Edited by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie and @darkhunter89: Okay! Sorry for not responding sooner, I haven't been checking my e-mails lately.

Now for my response: I'm uninformed and will take back what I said, but you two have to admit that people being attracted to lolis is fucking creepy.

#229 Posted by Lan_Fan (16990 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of you don't even know what Mary Sue is, smh.

#230 Posted by Wilkiiins17 (706 posts) - - Show Bio

P

#231 Posted by Fabricolage (2083 posts) - - Show Bio

tfw mary sue/gary stu seems to be a term for any contrarian people.

not even sure.

#232 Posted by Kidolio (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

Honestly the true definition of a Mary Sue is, and I’m quoting here “no that’s not what a Mary Sue mean, let ME tell you what a Mary Sue means” if you don’t get it there’s no definition and it’s a terms that should get an actual definition or stop being used when criticizing stories.

#233 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@socajunkie and @darkhunter89: Okay! Sorry for not responding sooner, I haven't been checking my e-mails lately.

Now for my response: I'm uninformed and will take back what I said, but you two have to admit that people being attracted to lolis is fucking creepy.

No problem, man. And yeah, being attracted to lolis is creepy, you're right about that.

#234 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

not even sure.

No mary sue is a very old term, it comes from a fanfiction that was written in the 70s. It's a trope that gets used often, an example would be Rey from Star Wars, she's a mary sue.

#235 Posted by johnsmjs36 (788 posts) - - Show Bio

Jin woo from Solo Leveling. In the beginning he is a normal character but later on becomes Mary Sueish.

#236 Posted by Kidolio (1244 posts) - - Show Bio
#237 Edited by TobyMaguire (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89 said:
@fabricolage said:

not even sure.

No mary sue is a very old term, it comes from a fanfiction that was written in the 70s. It's a trope that gets used often, an example would be Rey from Star Wars, she's a mary sue.

So is Batman in many stories. Do you know Batman defeated Circe the goddess of magic with Magic spell Beat Flash, and other bullshits.

#238 Posted by johnsmjs36 (788 posts) - - Show Bio

@kidolio: Mostly for the art. I have already read the novel.

#239 Posted by Kidolio (1244 posts) - - Show Bio

@johnsmjs36: No spoilers please also that art is so amazingly consistent and varying.

#240 Posted by johnsmjs36 (788 posts) - - Show Bio

@tobymaguire: Batman has a reality warping powers. Many times whenever Batman faces someone beyond his paygrade, reality bends itself to make that opponent downgrade to around Batman level and become stupid. I mean many show Frank Miller's dark knight as how Batman can beat Superman but that Superman was brought down to Batman's power level along with outsude help and Clark's inability to deal a fatal blow to give Batman a chance. Really, if someone like Superman, WW, Flash, MM anyone really wants to kill him they would kill before Batman can even use his "backup plan" against them.

#241 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Thank you, I apologize and take back what I said about anime/manga characters.

Now back to business, I said once and I'll say it again, Batman is a major Gary Stu, same with the Joker.

#242 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Thank you, I apologize and take back what I said about anime/manga characters.

Now back to business, I said once and I'll say it again, Batman is a major Gary Stu, same with the Joker.

The problem with Batman is that it depends on the writer. Many writers write him to be this gary stu like guy, but some write him as this flawed broken man that drives away those he loves with his paranoia, hell one very popular Justice League story was about how Batman caused an international crisis because he wasn't able to trust anyone. There are multible stories that show what a flawed and broken man Batman is.

#243 Edited by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Are you talking about the Tower of Babel or whatever it's called? I thought that had the opposite effect with fans, making then wank him even more.

#244 Posted by LowMageKage (190 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Are you talking about the Tower of Babel or whatever it's called? I thought that had the opposite effect with fans and writers, making them wank him even more.

#245 Edited by Amonfire1776 (3196 posts) - - Show Bio

No such thing...yet...

#246 Posted by Perethorn (6374 posts) - - Show Bio

If i'm understanding the "Mary Sue" concept right, Silver Age Superman should be the perfect example for what a Mary Sue stands.

#247 Posted by darkhunter89 (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

@darkhunter89: Are you talking about the Tower of Babel or whatever it's called? I thought that had the opposite effect with fans and writers, making them wank him even more.

I was talking about a story that happened pretty soon after Tower of Babel, it had a similar background but ended with another villain hacking Batmans private global security system, that only belonged to him and which he used to spy on every metahuman in the world, because he was too goddamn paranoid, this ended with many people dead and Batman at the end of that storyline was on the verge of committing a murder and only the Justice League could prevent him from shooting someone in the face.

Batman when written by competent writers is far from being a mary sue, he's very intelligent and is a master of martial arts but even then he gets his ass kicked a lot. I mean look at the original Bane story, it ended with Batman having his back broken, look at the Jason Todd story when he wasn't able to save Jason, which ended up with Jason becoming a crazy murderer. Batman has also admitted that the reason he doesn't kill, is because if he would do it, he couldn't stop, that's because he's almost always on the verge of insanity.