Posted by Unlimited1 (899 posts) 1 month, 13 days ago

Poll: Who is the best hand to hand fighter in Avatar? (35 votes)

Azula 40%
Amon 34%
Asami 9%
Korra 6%
Zaheer 11%

Rules

• No bending, no Avatar state.
  • In character.
  • Standard gear (Asami gets her electric glove)
  • All characters are at their strongest, comics included.

Avatar image for indomitableregal
#2 Posted by IndomitableRegal (15394 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee at least deserves a mention...

I got either Azula or Amon.

#3 Posted by geekryan (3826 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeaaa Ty Lee should be there.

By statements, Zaheer should be pretty up there seeing as he was considered so dangerous BEFORE he got airbending, but I think Amon takes the cake. Asami having her glove gives her a strong advantage though.

#4 Edited by ANTHP2000 (24980 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee.

Out of these people, Azula.

#5 Posted by cpt_nice (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

Amon easily.

#6 Posted by maestromage (1011 posts) - - Show Bio

Tfw Korra is an option but not Ty Lee lol. Out of these, I'd say probably Amon mainly due to how hyped he was even before we knew he was a bloodbender (characters acted like it was impossible to beat him in a fight IIRC).

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#7 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (3870 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee.

#8 Posted by Pierpat (5854 posts) - - Show Bio

Amon was really impressive without bending, i'd wager he could actually give ty lee problems.
The others just don't stack up

#9 Edited by Unlimited1 (899 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Arcus1 (27607 posts) - - Show Bio

Missing quite a few important people here

In theory, maybe Amon or Zaheer. They both have good hype but are relatively limited in terms of actual showings. Amon's also problematic because we don't know the degree to which he may have incorporated subtle bloodbending in combat (it was mentioned that using bloodbending to throw off people's aim was part of the reason he was so difficult to tag)

Azula and Korra seem better than Asami in raw h2h, but Asami's glove could give her a win against either of them

Of course, if we're going beyond this list, it'd probably be Ty Lee or Suki based on showings (they're the two most fleshed out h2h fighters in Avatar, in addition to simply being high tier). Imo, Iroh might deserve a mention here, the guy did bust out of jail like a one man army during the eclipse, and he was fodderizing Azula's soldiers h2h. If we're including melee weapons, then Piandao would probably be the best (I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a great fighter unarmed as well, though I have absolutely no proof of that)

#11 Posted by viren809 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

@arcus1 said:

Missing quite a few important people here

In theory, maybe Amon or Zaheer. They both have good hype but are relatively limited in terms of actual showings. Amon's also problematic because we don't know the degree to which he may have incorporated subtle bloodbending in combat (it was mentioned that using bloodbending to throw off people's aim was part of the reason he was so difficult to tag)

Azula and Korra seem better than Asami in raw h2h, but Asami's glove could give her a win against either of them

Of course, if we're going beyond this list, it'd probably be Ty Lee or Suki based on showings (they're the two most fleshed out h2h fighters in Avatar, in addition to simply being high tier). Imo, Iroh might deserve a mention here, the guy did bust out of jail like a one man army during the eclipse, and he was fodderizing Azula's soldiers h2h. If we're including melee weapons, then Piandao would probably be the best (I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was a great fighter unarmed as well, though I have absolutely no proof of that)

this

#12 Posted by Itachus17 (3232 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of these choices (Kemurikage)Azula, easily:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

After that Asami and Korra, Amon is pretty damn overrated to be frank due to bloodbending support and status(Zaheer usually as well but here apparently not).

#13 Posted by Itachus17 (3232 posts) - - Show Bio
@cpt_nice said:

Amon easily.

How?

@pierpat said:

Amon was really impressive without bending, i'd wager he could actually give ty lee problems.

The others just don't stack up

Based on what exactly?

Avatar image for crimson-feather
#14 Posted by Crimson-Feather (78 posts) - - Show Bio

Korra or Azula, Amon is a bit below them in my opinion.

#15 Posted by gunchar16 (1685 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee at least deserves a mention...

I got either Azula or Amon.

#16 Posted by buildhare (8575 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously Ty Lee.

#17 Edited by MorbusGrav (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula, the only threat here since the comics is Asami's glove.

@buildhare said:

Obviously Ty Lee.

Ty Lee is up there for sure, but Suki and Ty Lee struggled a lot with Kemu. Azula in S&S.

No Caption Provided

#18 Posted by Wrathofthebrad (817 posts) - - Show Bio

With comic feats?

Azula, no contest.

#20 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of these choices (Kemurikage)Azula, easily:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

After that Asami and Korra, Amon is pretty damn overrated to be frank due to bloodbending support and status(Zaheer usually as well but here apparently not).

I second that.

Ty Lee

Current Azula could beat her to be honest.

#21 Posted by Amonfire1776 (2851 posts) - - Show Bio

Amon...is underated if anything...he dodged lightning at point blank range...

#22 Posted by Amendment50 (15117 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee.

#23 Edited by thebuckaronatr (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

@amonfire1776 said:

Amon...is underated if anything...he dodged lightning at point blank range...

Iroh, Azula, Zuko, Aang and arguably some others reacted all to lightning, i have no idea how Amon is leading.

#24 Posted by thebuckaronatr (1727 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee.

Current Azula smacked Ty Lee who had the support of Suki in their last encounter and she is not even part of the question.

#25 Posted by Alsimmons77 (1537 posts) - - Show Bio

Azula takes the cake, Ty Lee would be the only appropiate challenger for the Kemurikage leader.

#26 Posted by Amonfire1776 (2851 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
#27 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (10026 posts) - - Show Bio

From the options given it’s Amon or Azula. But overall, Ty Lee or Suki

Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
#28 Posted by ShepardOakenPrime (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

Ty Lee and Suki for sure, Azula and Korra are after them imo. Amon's impressive but simply doesn't have many showings against other skilled fighters.

#29 Posted by Marishtar (2016 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously Azula.

#30 Edited by Itachus17 (3232 posts) - - Show Bio

@supermanwithatan01 said:

@shepardoakenprime said:

Ty Lee and Suki for sure, Azula and Korra are after them imo. Amon's impressive but simply doesn't have many showings against other skilled fighters.

Hell no, Ty Lee is debatable but Suki(in all honors) is straight up inferior to Kemurikage Azula without any doubts.

Azula played around with Suki before the prison training just for the lulz:

No Caption Provided

and completely owned her without needing bending after her prison training and three years of training with Ty Lee.

This here is part of Suki's best showing period:

No Caption Provided

and this here is a superior version of Suki and Ty Lee getting clowned by Kemurikage Azula(who wasn't even rly serious):

No Caption Provided

Just besides Azula's superior strength and durability.

#32 Posted by Marishtar (2016 posts) - - Show Bio

@shepardoakenprime said:

Hell no, Ty Lee is debatable but Suki(in all honors) is straight up inferior to Kemurikage Azula without any doubts.

No Caption Provided

and completely owned her without needing bending after her prison training and three years of training with Ty Lee.

No Caption Provided

and this here is a superior version of Suki and Ty Lee getting clowned by Kemurikage Azula(who wasn't even rly serious):

No Caption Provided

+1, Suki is definitely not better than Azula.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
#34 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (10026 posts) - - Show Bio

@itachus17: Suki grows by book 3 but agreed I would back Amon, Ty Lee and Azula over her. Point taken.

#35 Posted by Crimson-Feather (78 posts) - - Show Bio

@itachus17 said:

@shepardoakenprime said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

+1, Suki is definitely not better than Azula.

I think Azula would beat Suki in a hand to hand fight between them, but Suki might have it easier against others due to her new chi blocking skills.

#36 Posted by Itachus17 (3232 posts) - - Show Bio

@itachus17: Suki grows by book 3 but agreed I would back Amon, Ty Lee and Azula over her. Point taken.

Ah yes sry, i've rephrased my post by now:

Azula played around with Suki before Suki's prison training(in B3) just for the lulz:

and completely owned her without needing bending after Suki's prison training in combo with three years of training with Ty Lee.

I was actually talking about Suki's improvements at that point, KemurikageAzula fought a much grown version(but simply has grown a lot himself as well, not just in terms of bending).

I think Azula would beat Suki in a hand to hand fight between them, but Suki might have it easier against others due to her new chi blocking skills.

That is a fair argument but just for opponents who would be too durable/strong and Azula brought even the pretty damn durable/strong Zuko(has some of the best durability + strength feats of the whole Avatarverse) physically to the ground, on various occasions:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

So that argument pretty much could just become rly relevant against non-Avatarverse characters.

#37 Posted by Crimson-Feather (78 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for shepardoakenprime
#38 Posted by ShepardOakenPrime (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

@shepardoakenprime said:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Ah forgot about their first encounter, though I wouldnt say she was playing with her bantering. I just don't find Azula smacking them both to be her clowning them, she proved incredible speed but she wasnt outmatcbing their skill, if they were defeated then I'd agree but they weren't.

#39 Edited by Itachus17 (3232 posts) - - Show Bio

@shepardoakenprime:

Ah forgot about their first encounter, though I wouldnt say she was playing with her bantering.

Nah she was clearly playing, Azula had no actual reason to not just blast Suki into oblivion instead of dancing around with her.

I just don't find Azula smacking them both to be her clowning them, she proved incredible speed but she wasnt outmatcbing their skill, if they were defeated then I'd agree but they weren't.

She just smacked Ty Lee, which is why i still think Ty Lee is debatable.

Suki on the other hand was armed and attacked her with a big range advantage but Azula effortlesly moved her whole body away(in contrary to just moving her head like against Ty Lee) and kicked her to the ground, without Ty Lee would have been the fight obviously over and there wasn't even the slightest doubt who's superior at that point. The only skill advantage Suki has is chi blocking, which doesn't matter at all if Azula can effortlesly move her whole body until Suki is able to hit her with a wide weapon that gives also much more range than chi blocking.

And just look at Suki vs Ty Lee, it's a back and forth while Azula literally dealt with Suki and Ty Lee while she was on the run(Aang, Zuko and Co were also following her and Azula was not even interessted in a fight) and in complete contrary to them not even serious, i don't know how else i should call that if not clowning?