Who is THE BEST batman writer?

• 62 results
fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

post probably have been done before but whatever.

to me the greatest most defiant writer has to be grant morrison; the way he wrote batman stories had such a mystery, creepiness and darkness that really captured what batman was all about and i don't think will ever be repeated. I reallly havent read that much of morrison yet (batman and son, batman and reobin run, RIP [fav book], his JLA run) but from what i read no one tops him

honorable mention: Jeph Loeb: Long halloween is my all time favorite batman story and dark victory and hush are up there too. Loeb wrote good detective stories even though batman never figured out the real killer in LH.

and scott snyder: he is really having a great run right now, court of owls and zero year have been great. when its all said and done this man will be a top 3 batman writer of all time (maybe even number one in others opinion).

who is the batman writer for you?

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Grant Morrison, IMHO.

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Nice, I basically agreed with everything you said-Grant Morrison is the best Batman writer IMO

But I suppose you also have to give mention to people like Frank Miller, and Dennis O' Neil

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Loeb, simply cause Long Halloween is my favorite Batman story.

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Gotta' be Grant Morrison, with the exception of Batman Incorporated which I just couldn't get into.

TheGrayGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morrison's run: best ever

miller's year one: greatest ever STORY

miller's TDKR: most INFLUENTIAL story

snyders run: most consistently good so far

best batman writer?

dini and timn for their interpretation in BTAS

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JulieDC

For me, its Chuck Dixon because he incorporated the Bat-family in his work on Detective as well as wrote for most of them in their solos too. That is probably why the 90s Bat-family crossovers were so good compared to the 2000s. I'd even go as far as to say he is the man that modernized the Bat-family when you consider that before the last few arcs of Knightfall, Nightwing had barely made much of an appearance in a Bat-book since his departure as Robin. As for Grant Morrison, I am one of those people that hate his Batman saga. I just didn't like the changes he made, or the characters he created and I am not into his writing style. His stories just weren't my cup of tea. I do like Snyder's Batman stuff when he was writing for Dick-Bats. I haven't read New 52 Batman yet since I am currently not reading New 52 so I can't judge Snyder's current run.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Grant Morrison.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still think it was Steve Englehart. Few runs in a character's history actually change the way the character is viewed. Englehart did that with his Detective run in the 70's. I think that's the Batman that BTAS borrowed. It's when Batman started to become the "Dark Knight". It's a historical run that doesn't get enough love. The O'Neil/Adams run earlier was great for redefining the villains. That's when the Joker became the whack-o he's been since. Recently, I think it's the present writer, Scott Snyder.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

morriso n or any loeb stuff, big hush guy

Avatar image for timelordscience
TimeLordScience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison. He really has a great understanding of what Batman means, probably on a higher level than any other author. To me it's pretty apparent in Batman R.I.P.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cloakx14

scott synder !

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Morrison's R.I.P and everything leading up to it so I have to say him.
Snyder is my second favorite, Black Mirror is my favorite Batman story, and I really enjoy his work on Joker and creation of the Court of Owls.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I like Loeb, his stories for Batman were great Batman detective stories with a dash of noir and horror.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Me

fil123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By fil123

@juliedc: you have to get the court of owls trade, easily one of the top 5 batman arcs

redleader1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By redleader1

Dixon and Snyder the really have understood the bat and the entire legend part more than anything. And Dixon was good cause he really found a balance not to much gore and death but enough to make the villians threatening.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MatteoPG

I hated Morrison, but then again, I almost never like his stuff. After Final Crisis, particularly. I can't remember a writer that had me consinstently say "wow, this story is great". All writers had good and bad times. I am actually enjoying Snyder's work very much. It has a distinctive touch.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Denny O' Neil.

batman922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with you about Morrison, R.I.P. was one of the first Batman graphic novels I read when I started reading comics and it was awesome, there are other good Batman stories but nothing has lived up to it yet.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Gracetrack

As it stands, I don't currently have a definitive favorite. Snyder is quickly becoming so, though. He shows that he understands the character of Batman and his motivations, and his consistency in writing great story after great story is incredible.

I didn't like Morrison's writing style (i.e. the actual way he composed and told the stories), but I did like his take on Batman's character/personality probably more than any other writer's. If his writing was not so much of a chore to get through at times, he would be my favorite Batman writer.

EmeraldEagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison for sure, his Batman has been the definitive Batman for me for about 5 or 6 years now

Avatar image for spidermonkey2099
spidermonkey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

My top 5:

1. Paul Dini

2. Scott Snyder

3. Jeph Loeb

4. Frank Miller (for year one and tdkr)

5. Dennis O'Neil

leezju92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder, Paul Dini, and Frank Miller.

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I think Scott Snyder is my favorite writer so far.

Frank Miller is probably second for writing TDKR and Year One

Jeph Loeb third for TLH, Dark Victory, and hush

I don't really like how Morrison wrote Batman, it was a little confusing and weird for me. I liked how he wrote Batman's personality.

Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison, Dini and Miller have had the most stand out interpitations imo.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott snyder

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Morrison, Dini and Snyder.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Goeff Johns

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison easily.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Kevin Smith...... (Runs away laughing)

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeph Loeb

Grant Morrison

Scott Snyder

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#34 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Kevin Smith...... (Runs away laughing)

>:P

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By Teerack

Pre-senile Frank Miller.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 12

It's either Frank Miller or Chuck Dixon.

Frank Miller's Year One and The Dark Knight Returns are two of the best stories about Batman ever made, and TDKR is the best graphic novel ever as for me.

Chuck Dixon due to Knighfall wich i love and hail

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison. Was going to give it to Frank Miller, for having a part in defining who the current batman is as a character, But Morrison has played a part in that too, and has consistently written deep, complex, amazing bat stories, even going all the way back to Gothic and Arkham Asylum.

After those two, Scott Snyder.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Grant Morrison. Arkham Asylum and his Batman run are fantastic.

Avatar image for frank_castle757
Frank_Castle757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one has mentioned Doug Moench?

What the hell!

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spidermonkey2099 : Yes yes yes very good list ! Paul Dini first :) He never wrote main arc stories so he's a bit forgotten but all his stories are so much fun to read.

What about :

• Bruce Timm - mad love, the animated serie, ...
  • Bill Finger - the first writter !
  • Peter Milligan - dark knight, dark city
  • Chuck Dixon - batgirl year one, ...

As for Frank Miller, Scott Snyder and Grant Morisson, they all had the task to renew the Batman and they all managed very well. But they all have very good stories and less good ones so it's hard to put them on top.

You still have to admit that Miller's stores (Year one and The dark knight returns) at the time they revolutionized Batman and comic book writting. Scott Snyder has very good ideas to renew batman stories (gates of gotham, night of the owls, ...), but all his arcs didn't amaze me such as death of the family. And Grant Morisson managed a 7 year run with the introduction of Damian, the black glove and batman Inc. He made batman die and go back throu time, the other batmembers had to fill in for him.

I would rank Jeff Loeb before them because he can manage long arcs, important events and captivating stories. He's Catwoman: when in Rome story is also exellent. But he has some less good stories such as his halloween specials.

While Paul Dini's stories are all short stories, he has no lesser good ones. He's perfect, but it's hard to compare with Jeff Loeb who wrote such big arcs and important stories.

So to conclude a top 5:

1. Paul Dini
  2. Jeff Loeb
  3. Scott snyder
  4. Grant Morisson
  5. Bill Finger
Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@jb681131 said:

@spidermonkey2099 : Yes yes yes very good list ! Paul Dini first :) He never wrote main arc stories so he's a bit forgotten but all his stories are so much fun to read.

What about :

• Bruce Timm - mad love, the animated serie, ...
  • Bill Finger - the first writter !
  • Peter Milligan - dark knight, dark city
  • Chuck Dixon - batgirl year one, ...

As for Frank Miller, Scott Snyder and Grant Morisson, they all had the task to renew the Batman and they all managed very well. But they all have very good stories and less good ones so it's hard to put them on top.

You still have to admit that Miller's stores (Year one and The dark knight returns) at the time they revolutionized Batman and comic book writting. Scott Snyder has very good ideas to renew batman stories (gates of gotham, night of the owls, ...), but all his arcs didn't amaze me such as death of the family. And Grant Morisson managed a 7 year run with the introduction of Damian, the black glove and batman Inc. He made batman die and go back throu time, the other batmembers had to fill in for him.

I would rank Jeff Loeb before them because he can manage long arcs, important events and captivating stories. He's Catwoman: when in Rome story is also exellent. But he has some less good stories such as his halloween specials.

While Paul Dini's stories are all short stories, he has no lesser good ones. He's perfect, but it's hard to compare with Jeff Loeb who wrote such big arcs and important stories.

So to conclude a top 5:

1. Paul Dini
  2. Jeff Loeb
  3. Scott snyder
  4. Grant Morisson
  5. Bill Finger

I'm just gonna come out and say it...Paul Dini sucks. Hard. He's seriously one of the worst writers in DC Comics History. In fact, he's one of the few celebrities who I genuinely, utterly hate. He is a narcissistic, sexist, unintelligent, washed up fat pig who couldn't write a good comic if his life depended on it anymore. Whether it's inserting his sexual fetishes into stories or his unfunny and forced humor or completely misunderstanding and misinterpreting countless characters he claims to love (Poison Ivy, Bane, Zatanna and Wonder Woman being chief examples of this), he is an overrated, pathetic hack and I seriously hope he never so much as looks at another DC Comics Project again. And if you don't believe me, just read my review of Detective Comics #823.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scott Snyder, Frank Miller, Alan Moore and Grant Morisson

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyivydaredevilfan26 : no need to be that harsh ! And Paul Dini far from sucks ! You on the contrary !

I get it that some of his dialogues are not as worked as Grant Morisson's for exemple. That he might have missinterpreted some characters such as Poison Ivy, but I believe he's not the only one - look at Jeff Loeb's Poison Ivy or Riddler (he seems so stupid in Catwoman: When in Rome) or harvey dent (hop he gets acid he becomes evil as two-face, hop Dr. thomas elliot pops-up and fixes him and he becomes good harvey again) ! Just to say that every author models each character to its needs.

You say he's overated, I could say the same about Frank Miller's batmans or about Scott Snyder's Death in the family.

I had real fun reading his stories. I know I never got borred, or confused, or lost during his stories. Grant Morisson's stories can be hard to follow. .

But hey, everyone is entitled to his opinion.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

I don't think I can really comment on the best Batman writer according to the OP's criteria because I don't think it's important to capture what Batman is "all about" for a particular person. I favour the artist's intent as the driving component of its dichotomy with the objects that form the work, the architecture of the imaginary world.

derekvang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As of right now, Scott Snyder

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not Scott Snyder

Avatar image for deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16
deactivated-5d45fd7ce1a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder, Morrison, Loab (Because of Long Halloween, I just love this story)

lamdaddy20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just recently reread all of Morrison's Batman, and I have to say, I think he's probably topped Snyder as my favorite writer. Hard to understand, but great stuff.