• 63 results
Posted by inferiorego (25733 posts) - - Show Bio

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, which is in theaters internationally now and comes to the US on May 5, expands upon the Marvel Cinematic Universe by introducing new characters of the cosmic variety. The newest film in the studio's constantly growing universe debuts a slew of new characters during the five post-credit sequences, which we break down here.

No Caption Provided

We're taking a closer look at Warlock, a character who has heavy ties to the Marvel cosmic universe.

Warning: Spoilers for the post-credit sequence of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 below.

During one of the after-credit scenes, we see a cocoon large enough to hold a person as Ayesha says "I think I will call him… Adam." The Adam she is referring to is Adam Warlock. Who is he and where did he come from?

No Caption Provided

Warlock is first mentioned in Fantastic Four #66 back in 1967, although we don't get to actually see him until issue #67. He was created by the iconic Stan Lee and Jack Kirby. Originally, the character was simply known as "Him." He was scientifically engineered by a group called The Enclave as part of its attempt to create the perfect being. He started out in a cocoon and eventually emerged into the world as a He-Man-looking character.

Of course, the perfect being is going to have an outstanding power set. Aside from the standard superhuman strength and durability, Warlock is capable of absorbing and storing cosmic energy. He can project this energy as a weapon or use it to augment his own physical abilities. In addition, he could also spin himself into a regenerative cocoon to heal himself or prevent death.

What makes Warlock such an important character is that his story is intertwined with the Infinity Stones and Infinity Gauntlet, which have been and will continue to be a big part of the Marvel films. He was once granted the Soul Gem and became ruler of the pocket universe that existed inside of it. The gem could peer into someone's soul and had the ability to steal and trap it.

No Caption Provided

Of course, because of his ties to the Soul Gem, Warlock has been a part of numerous storylines where the Infinity Gauntlet was involved. Most notably, Warlock joined the other heroes in the Marvel Universe to battle Thanos, who was in control of the Infinity Gems, in the 1991 story The Infinity Gauntlet.

When we think about how Warlock could fit into the Marvel Cinematic Universe--if he does end up being used--it's more than likely he'll join the heroes of Earth to battle Thanos in an adaptation of The Infinity Gauntlet. Thanos has been set up as an upcoming villain, and we've already seen a few of the Infinity Stones.

Looking for more Adam Warlock? Check out these comics featuring the character.

• The Infinity Gauntlet
  • The Infinity War
  • Infinity Crusade
  • Annihilation: Conquest
  • Thanos: The Infinity Relativity
Staff
#1 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally got out of his cocoon, eh?

#2 Posted by AriesWarlock (260 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Warlock is one of the coolest characters EVER!

Avatar image for namelessthegreat
#3 Posted by NameLessTheGreat (21 posts) - - Show Bio

:( this site was my comic news

#4 Posted by Autopsad (157 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favourite characters ! :D <3

#5 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@mysticmedivh: I'm surprised that Adam didn't hatch from his cocoon when collectors emporium exploded. I doubt Adam will play a role in the infinity war unless someone famous us chosen for the role soon. Peter Dinklage is going to be Pip the Troll

Avatar image for darkeklipse2964
#6 Posted by DarkEklipse2964 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

@namelessthegreat Yeah I agree the comic news, reporting, reviews are now non existant. May as well rename the site ComicLESSVine :(

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#7 Edited by scott_summers52 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

So excited when I saw his cocoon, looking just like it did in the comics. Adam Warlock is definitely an underrated character.

#8 Posted by Asgaard (4348 posts) - - Show Bio

I like a lot of Adam Warlock, and these kind of articles are cool too...

#9 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@scott_summers52: I wonder if the soul gem is with Adam Warlock. Since the color has been changed to Orange, maybe Adam will come out orangish gold

Avatar image for scott_summers52
#10 Posted by scott_summers52 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: It's certainly possible. I hope he's in Infinity War first instead of GotG 3, Adam Warlock played a big part in the original Infinity Gauntlet comic. Until the rights are clarified for Marvel to use Silver Surfer (another big player in Infinity Gauntlet), I'd like to at least have Adam make an appearance. He would be my prime suspect for the wielder of the Soul gem.

#11 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@scott_summers52: The problem is the soul gem's color was stolen by Dr. Strange. I mean their magic fields in the movie were usually an orange color so why stop with the time gem. Oh well, if Adam will be involved in the Infinity War then Ayesha should be too. Her role was kinda unneeded in GOTG 2 if Adam wasn't a part of the equation.

#14 Edited by mulattoman (11 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: Apparently Gunn told IGN that the caccoon easter egg in GotG was a 'mistake' and wasn't the same one harboring Adam. Also, he will not be in Infinity War(s) :/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/04/29/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2s-ending-and-post-credits-scenes-explained

#17 Edited by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

@mulattoman: I'm sorry but directors, producers and writers lie about obvious spoilers and Easter eggs in order to hide them thereby keeping all of us guessing and interested. Its totally redundant and really insults my intelligence. Everybody knew that Miranda Tate was Talia al Ghul in TDKR but Nolan said that Tate's character isn't Talia. Same thing could be said about Abrams telling the public that Benedict Cumberbatch isn't playing Khan but we all know how that turned out. Don't believe Gunn when he continually changes his mind or opinions. A long time ago, Gunn said that he wouldn't let the GOTG be involved in the Infinity War movie because he wanted to keep them exclusive yet look where we are now. Don't be a sheep my friend.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0
#19 Posted by deactivated-5c1d15b8899b0 (11360 posts) - - Show Bio

I could write a better article!!

#20 Posted by JediXMan (42189 posts) - - Show Bio

I got so hyped when he was revealed...

#21 Edited by jumpstart55 (11025 posts) - - Show Bio
  • Me and my brother completely geeked out in the theater when The golden High Priestess said Adam.
  • But mostly everybody who stayed for the After Credits was so confused..lmao
  • And i love how Marvel is handling their outer space characters and the cosmos worldbuilding has been freaking phenomenal.
#23 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@jardinain2 @warlockmage time for warlock fans

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#24 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

@samconery: Yeah haha, cant wait to see him in the MCU.

#25 Posted by Warlockmage (8756 posts) - - Show Bio

ditto. its gonna be so cool, especially because i never dreamed an obscure character like Adam Warlock would ever be in a movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#26 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

@jardinain2 said:

ditto. its gonna be so cool, especially because i never dreamed an obscure character like Adam Warlock would ever be in a movie.I

I really hope they don't ruin him, Its hard to imagine who would even play him

#27 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by kgb725 (18105 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by majin77 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

um he's Adam Warlock? lmao

#30 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725: yeh, but not as adam wrlock getting converted. I want him to be a different entity posing as adam's villain

#31 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@samconery: when they wanted Matthew McConaughey to play the lead villain in GOTG vol 2 I was hoping he would be Adam Warlock and Magus. He has the look for it plus he can play a psycho Magus.

#32 Posted by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage: @jardinain2: i just hope the guy is next to thanos in power. In short i want him to be OP

Same. Adam Warlock is arguably Thanos's arch-nemesis and roughly on par with him in terms of what he's capable of.

#33 Posted by Stormdriven (17608 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll be Adam Warlock, I don't give af

#34 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@nervmeister: Adam Warlock will probably show up in Part 2 of the Infinity War along with Ayesha. Maybe we will get to see Magus.

#35 Posted by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@nervmeister: Adam Warlock will probably show up in Part 2 of the Infinity War along with Ayesha. Maybe we will get to see Magus.

Gunn said he will be debuting in GOTG3 which is after Infinity War.

#36 Edited by Spambot (9307 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

@samconery: when they wanted Matthew McConaughey to play the lead villain in GOTG vol 2 I was hoping he would be Adam Warlock and Magus. He has the look for it plus he can play a psycho Magus.

He prob originally was and they changed it after he declined the role. GotG2's story had the feeling of a story that had been thrown together without that much thought.

#37 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@spambot: The whole battery theft from the Sovereign people wasn't thought out nor did it really have much baring on the story. If Rocket had stolen something precious from J'Son of Spartax then that could have been compelling. Moondragon would have been a better pet for Ego versus Mantis.

#38 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

@nervmeister: James Gunn said Guardians of the Galaxy would remain exclusive from the Avengers and wouldn't appear in the Infinity War but we all know how that turned out. Gunn like so many other directors, producers and writers will say one thing and not mean it.

#39 Edited by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:
Loading Video...

@nervmeister: James Gunn said Guardians of the Galaxy would remain exclusive from the Avengers and wouldn't appear in the Infinity War but we all know how that turned out. Gunn like so many other directors, producers and writers will say one thing and not mean it.

Well, if the post-credits scene is any indication, the MCU's Adam Warlock is going to start off as a "head-hunter" of sorts on behalf of the Sovereign against the Guardians. So stopping Thanos probably wont be his concern yet (assuming Thanos doesn't get killed at the end of IW).

#40 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@nervmeister: I wonder if Ayesha is using the Soul Gem to create Adam Warlock which would bring him under Thanos' radar when he starts going after the Infinity Gems. I'm also curious if Peter Dinklage as Pip the Troll will be used as a thief who steals the gems for Thanos. Pip could sneak into Xandar to steal the orb and swipe the Aether from the Collector plus after Hel turns Asgard into a barren ruin, Odin's Vault will be vulnerable for theft. Thanos will probably head to Earth in order to challenge Dr. Strange and Vision for the Eye of Agamotto and the Mind Stone.

#41 Edited by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

@nervmeister: I wonder if Ayesha is using the Soul Gem to create Adam Warlock which would bring him under Thanos' radar when he starts going after the Infinity Gems. I'm also curious if Peter Dinklage as Pip the Troll will be used as a thief who steals the gems for Thanos. Pip could sneak into Xandar to steal the orb and swipe the Aether from the Collector plus after Hel turns Asgard into a barren ruin, Odin's Vault will be vulnerable for theft. Thanos will probably head to Earth in order to challenge Dr. Strange and Vision for the Eye of Agamotto and the Mind Stone.

I doubt Dinklage would even want the part of Pip since he doesn't like being typecast as mythical little creatures like dwarfs or leprechauns. And besides, modern SFX and set design can make just about any actor look shorter than he/she actually is. Now, Ricky Gervais as Pip would be pretty cool.

#42 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@nervmeister: I can't stand Ricky's voice. If Peter hates being type casted then why agree to be a boozing, calculating, lady chasing midget for game of thrones. Mystical or not it's still type casting

#43 Edited by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01 said:

@nervmeister: I can't stand Ricky's voice. If Peter hates being type casted then why agree to be a boozing, calculating, lady chasing midget for game of thrones. Mystical or not it's still type casting

"boozing, calculating, and lady chasing" is more a general anti-hero trope. Even Iron Man fits those traits to varying degrees.

#44 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: @spambot: whoever plays adam warlock must play magus too. If the cast is different it wont have that affect which comics provide us.

#45 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: true thanos always looked at adam as a potential threat. He even goes as far to making him his ally. It is also evident with thanos having a beef with magus

#46 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@samconery: Matthew McConaughey I believe is the best candidate

#47 Posted by samconery (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01: not a bad choice but how about hayden cristensen the dude who played anaikin in star wars.

#48 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio

@samconery: people would never forgive James Gunn if he allowed that to happen. Gunn would go back to doing Troma movies. Raimi never really recovered from Topher Grace in Spider-Man 3. The only thing keeping him afloat is Ash vs Evil Dead.

#49 Edited by nervmeister (468 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravenvice01:

Reeve Carney is my no. 1 pick, followed by Alexander Skarsgard.

#50 Posted by RavenVice01 (4330 posts) - - Show Bio