Who else hates the Richard Donner Superman Movies?

Avatar image for thedarkknight9283
thedarkknight9283

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Thread says it all. Man of Steel was the first Superman movie I liked.

Tim Burton's Batman, while I admit are flawed, are FAR superior to Superman and Superman II. I feel that way because I'm a huge Batman fan, and all of the previous Superman movies sucked.

Superman: The Movie is so horribly dated, boring, and campy.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I will admit that the Richard Donner movies didn't age quite as well as the Burton films. They're very much products of their time.

Funnily enough, the Superman quartet's history mirrors the Batman quadrilogy's almost exactly.

A massively successful critically acclaimed intro, a second more iffy but still good one that got the original director booted off in favor of a "safer" one, a third movie which was very much hit or miss, and a fourth unspeakably terrible one.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I will admit that the Richard Donner movies didn't age quite as well as the Burton films. They're very much products of their time.

Funnily enough, the Superman quartet's history mirrors the Batman quadrilogy's almost exactly.

A massively successful critically acclaimed intro, a second more iffy but still good one that got the original director booted off in favor of a "safer" one, a third movie which was very much hit or miss, and a fourth unspeakably terrible one.

Word-for-word - agreed.

As far as my opinion goes - I liked Superman 1 and 2, but not 3 and 4. And I dislike all of Burten's Batmans. And the 4th movie of each series is probably among my worst CBMs, ever.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@fallschirmjager: @thedarkknight9283: Superman 1 and 2 are amazing. 3 sucked, 4 was better than 3 but still sucked. all old batmans sucked. Nolanverse is the only good Batman movies.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@allstarsuperman: The Batman and Returns are awesome. But I agree the others sucked. Loved Superman. You guys wanna dis movies remember the Supergirl movie? or the original F4? Also isn't the op admitting Bias? Meaning had Batman sucked despite what Batman it was. That they would still consider them good?

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@thedarkknight9283: If you had been a kid when the Donner movies came out you'd probably see it differently. I freely admit that they haven't aged well but lets be fair here, they did the best they could with what they had at the time and are the reason we got those Burton Batman movies and all the other blockbuster super hero movies that exist today.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I personally loved the Donner Superman movies, grew up watching 'em.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#9  Edited By Black_Claw

Eh, it was good for its time but it really doesn't hold up that well today IMO. That an I really hated Lex Luthors two retarded sidekicks.

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Yokergeist

I liked the first Donner Superman movie. I also liked Burton's Batman and Batman Returns. But I hated Batman and Robin.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By mikex20

I thought all 5 (including Superman Returns) sucked.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like them either

ace20xd6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ace20xd6

@fallschirmjager: @thedarkknight9283: Superman 1 and 2 are amazing. 3 sucked, 4 was better than 3 but still sucked. all old batmans sucked. Nolanverse is the only good Batman movies.

So you didn't like Batman Masked of the Phantasm either? It had a theatrical release so it counts as a Batman movie.

Avatar image for battle_forum_junkie
Battle_Forum_Junkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I don't hate them, I just don't find them very enjoyable.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I loved the first two Superman movies when I watched them in the theater when they came out and I still love them now.

They were light years ahead of any other superhero shows that had come before and, even though they might not hold up that well 35 years later, they hold up better than the Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer and George Clooney Batman movies of 24 years ago and less.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed the first two. Some things you just have to watch as though you were living in that time period. Its the same with reading Shakespeare

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jointron33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

They have ruined Superman, the same way that 60s Batman ruined that character

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By russellmania77

eh i liked man of steel alot better but i mean i can say that i hate those old films well atleast not the first and second one

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

@jldoom said:

I personally loved the Donner Superman movies, grew up watching 'em.

Same, I don't like Superman but always enjoyed those first two movies and I can't honestly say that I would rate Man of Steel above them.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you ignore the silver age God feats that make you question why he has any problems at all, then I sorta think it's good. But as I can't get around time travel with ease vs fight it out with my enemies, it sorta is a game breaker for me.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I still remember the days before tim Burtons batman.... we had two options.... Batman 1966 (which was awful) and the Superman movies, whioch at least had good special effects for the time period. but the acting and writing was just plain, horrible.

so if you have a memory that old, you might remember the movies as good, nostalgic films because you had no other option really, but it doesn't change the fact, that they were horrible, if you were watching the movies without an obsession of comic characters (current or future comic reader) you probabaly wouldn't have liked them (look at some of the critiques from the period) its only looking back that the film critics are starting to give the movies a better review than they received initially

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

ohh yeah, i just did a marathon of superman movies....(yup still suck) and am now watching only movies from those years, and there is MILES of difference in the quality of superman movies, and movies of the period....just examples you might recognize, Indiana Jones, Star Wars.... keep looking you's find more closer to those quality films than to the quality of superman.