Which would be scarier to live in: a worldwide zombie apocalypse or Orwell's 1984?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Ghostodoofus2

Poll Which would be scarier to live in: a worldwide zombie apocalypse or Orwell's 1984? (41 votes)

Zombie apocalypse 34%
1984 66%
 • 
Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1984 for me, at least in a zombie apocalypse I'm still free in all the ways I wouldn't be if I were being monitored by the thought police.

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostodoofus2: word and there's an opportunity to rebuild a sane society. Basically powerless in 1984.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Avatar image for deactivated-63548622d93b9
deactivated-63548622d93b9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: Alright, lets say The Walking Dead-level.

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That wouldn't stay apocalyptic for very long. If anything, it probably wouldn't even progress to an apocalypse level in the first place.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

@ghostodoofus2 said:

That wouldn't stay apocalyptic for very long. If anything, it probably wouldn't even progress to an apocalypse level in the first place.

Why so?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

@ghostodoofus2 said:

Why so?

Modern weaponry would absolutely decimate any horde. Hell, your average soldier or firefighter could probably survive a swarm indefinitely, just by curling into a ball.

Walking Dead style zombies only work if you pretend the entire world is completely incompetant, that modern weapons don't exist, that basic body armor doesn't exist, that the elements don't exist, that basic obstacles don't exist, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-634660917dfac
deactivated-634660917dfac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombie apocalypse.

Avatar image for deactivated-646cd28ea8a23
deactivated-646cd28ea8a23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The interesting parallel with this question is both are forms of brain dead people looking to devour except one is physical and the other is spiritual/metaphoric. good question and i agree with you zombies don't try to pretend to be moral superiors while eating you with sophistry and as you put it thought policing.

You could add we are in the early stages of his depiction in todays society with the capture of language and all the other nonsense floating about

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san said:

Modern weaponry would absolutely decimate any horde. Hell, your average soldier or firefighter could probably survive a swarm indefinitely, just by curling into a ball.

Walking Dead style zombies only work if you pretend the entire world is completely incompetant, that modern weapons don't exist, that basic body armor doesn't exist, that the elements don't exist, that basic obstacles don't exist, etc.

Hmmmm, I don't remember right, but wasn't the infection in TWD also trough the air?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: its easy to fool ourselves thinking no way will it happen in real life with all this weaponry etc. but if a fake plandemic can put out the world an actual infecting disease like zombies would wipe out 95% leaving the wealthy 5% to hide away and live their life but the rest will surely end up like this just think how quickly cities will enter into chaos. before it could even be reported a good 100,000 people are eating people, do the math and you'll quickly realise 1 week will destroy civilisation

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zetsu-San
@queenhestia202 said:

@zetsu-san said:

Hmmmm, I don't remember right, but wasn't the infection in TWD also trough the air?

Only the bite turns people immediately. The airborne only activates on death. Don't get me wrong, in the early stages, particularly before people figure out how it works; I'm sure there will be some absolute clusterfuck outbreaks. But once people do, society would adjust.

@parabolicmind said:

@zetsu-san: its easy to fool ourselves thinking no way will it happen in real life with all this weaponry etc. but if a fake plandemic can put out the world an actual infecting disease like zombies would wipe out 95% leaving the wealthy 5% to hide away and live their life but the rest will surely end up like this just think how quickly cities will enter into chaos. before it could even be reported a good 100,000 people are eating people, do the math and you'll quickly realise 1 week will destroy civilisation

Covid didn't "put out" the world tho? Civilization is still here, it didn't collapse or anything. We're not in the post apocalypse, last I checked.

Also, there's a HUGE difference between a virus that easily jumps from person to person, often becoming infectious with minimal visible symptoms (most of which can be mixed up with other viruses) and something that turns someone into a shambling zombie, who has to bite others to spread.

People who try to draw equivalencies between normal viruses and slow shambling zombies, really need a reality check. A horde would lose most of it's members trying to shamble from one city to another, without any human intervention at all.

Jack_Hart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about being dumped into those specific worlds, or templates of those worlds being applied to our world? Either way I'd much prefer to live in a zombie apocalypse, even if it was running zombies. I'd rather fight for my survival everyday rather than live in a world where I can't even find refuge in my own mind.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we talking about being dumped into those specific worlds, or templates of those worlds being applied to our world? Either way I'd much prefer to live in a zombie apocalypse, even if it was running zombies. I'd rather fight for my survival everyday rather than live in a world where I can't even find refuge in my own mind.

Same here.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunarsky: Zombies scare you more than having no freedom to even think how you want to?

Zetsu-San

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jack_hart said:

Same here.

Would you say the same, about the zombies from Crossed or the Sadness? lol

ReaperTheGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1984 is scarier.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

@zetsu-san: Never read Crossed but if I did it might change my vote. Garth Ennis is a savage writer and he went all out writing Crossed. Haven't watched the Sadness but I assume it's the same idea.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By El_mago

1984 becuase i have no free will

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, better to die free than live in a dystopia.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zetsu-san: You still have a hollywood mindset about these things, it is you who needs a reality check the point i was making wasn't comparing a flu virus with a zombie virus it was the overestimation of competency on the part of our government and military weaponry. All movies teach this superhero element to them and it doesn't line up with reality if the zombie virus broke out they simply would let it happen because there is nothing they can do apart from save a few percent if even 1 to continue civilisation in a bordered state or something similar.

infinitehope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More brains may be lost under the Zombies but more souls will be lost under 1984.

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know much about 1984 so can someone enlighten me. There aren't that many things that can be scarier than a zombie apocalypse tho.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

@novaprime2: 1984 is the exact opposite of a zombie apocalypse which is total chaos, 1984 is total order where citizens live as brain-dead slaves indoctrinated to obey their masters (government officials) without question, they've no freedom to act or even think in opposition to the ideals of their superiors. If you even think out of line, the thought police will be sent after you. It's oppression at its most extreme.

Zombies are terrifying but 1984 scares me more.

Rhubarb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zombies

NovaPrime2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novaprime2: 1984 is the exact opposite of a zombie apocalypse which is total chaos, 1984 is total order where citizens live as brain-dead slaves indoctrinated to obey their masters (governmenr officials) without question, they've no freedom to act or even think in opposition to the ideals of their superiors. If you even think out of line, the thought police will be sent after you. It's oppression at its most extreme.

Zombies are terrifying but 1984 scares me more.

Thanks. That does sound terrifying, although a zombie apocalypse still edges it for me.

Avatar image for sar_annihilator
SAR_Annihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SanoHibiki

Zombie apocalypse

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1984 is worse.

ovy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ovy7

As someone who had read the novel, 1984 wins this. No contest.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

MrLibido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

byondeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

America is pretty mu h a fascist state.

Thankfully, Biden is president now.

Anyway, a 1984

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Jucaslucasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of the people in 1984 can have somewhat normal lives, iirc, just poor as hell and can't speak out. The people working for the Party directly were monitored 24/7, but the proles had more freedom.

I might take that over a zombie apocalypse, but hard to say, really.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump