Which version of immortality do you personally prefer? READ OPENING POST FOR DETAILS

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which version of immortality do you personally prefer? READ OPENING POST FOR DETAILS (19 votes)

Type 1: Mental Immortality 16%
Type 2: Physical Immortality, also known as longevity 68%
Type 3: Temporal Immortality, Groundhog Day style 16%

In fiction, some people see immortality as a curse, some see it as a benefit.

What is also interesting to delve into are the different types of immortality.

I've tried to classify the different variants presented in various media, into as few reasonably pure categories as possible without mixing up with other types of abilities such as invulnerability and regeneration:

#ClassificationBasic Description
1Mental ImmortalityYour brain doesn't age after reaching its physical prime, but everything else does. To remain immortal, you must transfer your brain/mind to a younger or fitter body otherwise you will eventually die anyway.
2Physical Immortality, also known as longevityYour entire body including your brain stops aging after its physical prime, you can't die of old age, but you can die from any other cause (Fatal wounds, incurable illness, etc).
3Temporal Immortality, Groundhog Day styleUpon receiving this ability, you will continue to age as per normal until your death, be it dying naturally or getting killed. Upon your death you will go back in time and place to the exact event when you received this ability to start all over again, but this time with memories of your past experiences.

So if you are in a fictitious scenario where you are forced to pick one of these three choices, which one would you pick?

Discuss, explain.

• 
Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 2

Number 3 seems like hell.

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By plotweapon16255

1st can keep a low profile.

rahiem9123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2.seems like the best choice

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does 1 work? How does the mind get transferred? If I have to cut open my own head and then shove my brain into someone else's body, wouldn't we both die?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawcol: how does the mind or brain get transferred? Think the likes of Ultra Humanite, Arnim Zola, or New 52 Batman (biological transfer of brain or uploading mind to a machine or upload mind to a new brain respectively).

Basically option 1 requires secondary abilities (which is why I hesitated adding it to this poll for a moment) such as superhuman genius tinkering with human biology/technology or advanced telepathy.

If you want to be absolute with no other superhuman ability in consideration, option 1 is practically mortal but without any threat of going senile or any other brain aging medical or physical conditions.

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between 2 and 1, would go with 1

Michaelbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 for sure but 3 seems great too, I loved that movie too lmao

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 1, I get Body Change as a freebie, step aside world, a new villain has appeared!!

Number 2

This, why would anyone choose that kind of torture?

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GermanX

@rukelnikovftw said:

Number 1, I get Body Change as a freebie, step aside world, a new villain has appeared!!

@emperorb777 said:

Number 2

3rd option is about having a 2nd chance in life. U can undo a mistake by starting all over again.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@emperorb777 said:

Number 2

Tbf you could live a completely different life each time you get reborn

LawCol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:

Basically option 1 requires secondary abilities (which is why I hesitated adding it to this poll for a moment) such as superhuman genius tinkering with human biology/technology or advanced telepathy.

If you want to be absolute with no other superhuman ability in consideration, option 1 is practically mortal but without any threat of going senile or any other brain aging medical or physical conditions.

Alright, then I'd choose 3. Since it'd be interesting to play around with my past. Number 2 would be tempting but I can see myself eventually becoming obsolete due to future technologies such as pre-birth gene modifications. In truth, I'd probably end up getting captured and becoming a lab experiment.

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:
@rukelnikovftw said:

@emperorb777 said:

Number 2

3rd option is about having a 2nd chance in life. U can undo a mistake by starting all over again.

Problem is, is not ONLY a second chance, its infinite mandatory re-livings that are obligatory ending in madness or nihilism.

Think of groundhog day, but at the end, instead of moving on, he STILL wakes up in the same day :S

No Caption Provided

thatduderox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Number 2

If I got stuck with number 3, I would likely go insane. It would probably be entertaining the first few repeats; having fun shaking things up a bit, but that can turn into your own personal Hell real quick.

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Emanresu_20

3 for the soul purpose of life being like a video game with no consequence for me. I can be a criminal mastermind. Also I’d always win the lottery by killing myself after the numbers are revealed.

InvadedTBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I pick 3 temporal immortality cause it’s seems like respawning in a video game.

Yeah I just died but now I know what not to do next time.

Devilmenworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Option 3. With option 3 I could live multiple lives and have multiple experiences. I could change the world in one of my lives and be a regular Joe in the next life.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 is the worst

2 is the one I’d pick

3 is just dumb

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

2 is the ideal option because there is a way out of life should that one day become desirable.

Like the Vandal Savage version of immortality has the inbuilt flaw that even if you live forever and get as smart as your brain is capable of making you... you still risk something like a freak accident trapping you somewhere intolerable, like being buried alive, or the planet you are on becomes uninhabitable, you will live on in that case when everyone else has the good fortune to die.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1 is the worst

2 is the one I’d pick

3 is just dumb

@germanx said:
@rukelnikovftw said:

@emperorb777 said:

Number 2

Problem is, is not ONLY a second chance, its infinite mandatory re-livings that are obligatory ending in madness or nihilism.

Think of groundhog day, but at the end, instead of moving on, he STILL wakes up in the same day :S

No Caption Provided

Lmao perfectly illustrates why #3 is dumb.

Also, with #3, if you don't do everything the exact same each time you go back in time, you'll just have memories of relationships/children/experiences that never happened or existed. That sounds like a recipe for insanity lol

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 is the ideal option because there is a way out of life should that one day become desirable.

Like the Vandal Savage version of immortality has the inbuilt flaw that even if you live forever and get as smart as your brain is capable of making you... you still risk something like a freak accident trapping you somewhere intolerable, like being buried alive, or the planet you are on becomes uninhabitable, you will live on in that case when everyone else has the good fortune to die.

But #1 also has a way out, you can choose not to switch and allow yourself to die.

That's the main reason I think #3 can be nothing but hell, you are doomed to live forever, in and endless loop

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#22  Edited By Outside_85

@outside_85 said:

But #1 also has a way out, you can choose not to switch and allow yourself to die.

That's the main reason I think #3 can be nothing but hell, you are doomed to live forever, in and endless loop

True, but at the same time, I dont think it's terribly convenient you effectively have to cannibalize someone elses body up to the point where you figure out how to clone yourself... you'd have to have a pretty rotten set of morals to make that kind of choice. Plus I would add that if your intention is to stay young and fit, you'd have to do it atleast once every 20 years and ofc you get all the flaws of your new host body. All of this ofc works for Mr. Sinister, not sure his system works for everyone else. :S

GermanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ourmanuel said:

1 is the worst

2 is the one I’d pick

3 is just dumb

Eh how is option #1 the worst? That option, if you choose not to do anything about it, is essentially the same as living as a normal person but without the effects of age affecting your brain (Alzheimer's for example).

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx: yeah that’s true, I guess 3 would be the worst

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@germanx said:
@buttersdaman000 said:
@ourmanuel said:

1 is the worst

2 is the one I’d pick

3 is just dumb

Eh how is option #1 the worst? That option, if you choose not to do anything about it, is essentially the same as living as a normal person but without the effects of age affecting your brain (Alzheimer's for example).

What if you simply never get Alzheimers? And how do you transfer your brain? Are we living in a world where that tech is possible, or is it magical? If it's tech based, then this form of immortality is redundant because anyone could transfer their consciousness into a machine/different body and achieve the same thing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

Number 2 seems clearly the best.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1e5b9f31ff6
deactivated-5c1e5b9f31ff6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All three would be a curse, but the second option seems to be the best choice.