• 67 results
Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Which universe has more memorable and deeper quotes? DCEU or MCU (68 votes)

DCEU 47%
MCU 53%

Title says all. For this please do not include Nolanverse as that would stomp most movies, let alone CBMs lol

• 
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

DCEU. The only Marvel quote I love is Loki's quote to Widow.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say either really has deep, meaningful quotes. If I had to pick I'd say DCEU because of all the "philosophy" in Batman v Superman (ie he can't be all good if he is all powerful, or whatever that line was).

Savitar71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Savitar71

DCEU is way more quotable than the MCU, but the Nolan Trilogy stomps both universes combined times 100 in quotability.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Spambot

No quotes really stick out at all from either universe tbph. Just a few decent quotes here and there that aren't really even worth mentioning. Things like 'we have a Hulk' or 'Martha' or 'gotta break a few eggs'. lol

Gotoucanario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nolan Trilogy >>> Fox > dceu > mcu in quotability

Avatar image for elijah_c_washington
Elijah_C_Washington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DCEU has tried its hand at meaningful quotes with Lex and Joker, but both sucked. There was some pretty fantastic things stated in Doctor Strange.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheLastDragonborn

@elijah_c_washington: "Dormammu I have come to bargain" is the one that sticks out.

Cant remember anything else

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BullPR

"Martha" solos

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@ready_4_madness:

"You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

I was like, damn, that's powerful.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME"

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martha for all the wrong reasons

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uugieboogie

"I can do this all day." Simple, yet meaningful and deep given the context.

Saberscar223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one is going to mention the speech at the end of IM3?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_stegman  Moderator
Prospero_Locke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saberscar223: in case you couldn't tell, everyone has resorted to just bashing the other side instead of contributing to their own. Comic people can't be reasonable or like both. That's a bad time expecting that around these parts lol

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I see A LOT more people quote MCU films ( not counting MARTHA related quotes).

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nolan Trilogy >>> Fox > dceu > mcu in quotability

Avatar image for don_higashikata
Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"That's how it starts, sir. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men... cruel."

"You're not brave. Men are brave."

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you, they will stumble, they will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun, Kal. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."

"So we sum kinda suisa skwaaaad?"

vs.

"Dance off, bro. You and me!"

No contest, to be honest

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

I get why the DCEU is winning the poll:

• there's only three existing films, so we can focus more on the individual aspects of each
  • and since pacing, editing, character and structure in all three films has been rocky, it's easy to focus on the better aspects of the films that DO work.
  • Since the MCU films have lighter colour palettes and more humour, people ignore the solid dialogue.

That said, I think that although the DCEU has some cool dialogue (at least MoS and BvS), the MCU has a lot of good dialogue that goes unnoticed.

For example:

The First Avenger:

Abraham Erskine's entire dialogue with Steve Rogers in The First Avenger - "Whatever happens tomorrow you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man."

"I don't want to kill anyone. I don't like bullies; I don't care where they're from."

Guardians of The Galaxy:

"I have lived most my life surrounded by my enemies. I would be grateful to die among my friends."

Civil War:

"Look when you can do the things that I can, but you don't. And then the bad things happen, they happen because of you."

This exchange between Natasha and Steve:

"There's plenty of room on the jet. Just because it's the path of least resistance doesn't mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important that how we stay together."

"What are we giving up to do it?"

To name a few :)

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DammeFavour:

Um.... from my own experiences? Seriously, where else would it be.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

MCU stomps. The Avengers movie alone has more memorable lines than the whole DCEU so far.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People are voting DCEU because it's "deeper" they only regurgitate the same 3 quotes we've already seen

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap might be able to carry the MCU although considering we're comparing like 16 films to 3 that's still pretty sad.

Does anyone remember a really great Thor quote from one of the four films he's been in so far?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iara said:

Cap might be able to carry the MCU although considering we're comparing like 16 films to 3 that's still pretty sad.

Does anyone remember a really great Thor quote from one of the four films he's been in so far?

"There will never be a wiser king than you. Or a better father."

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BvS and MoS alone has better quotes than whole of MCU movies combined.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

#32  Edited By KrleAvenger

MCU. Remember Cap's speech about freedom?

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peggy Carter solos.

"Compromise where you can. Where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye, and say 'No, you move'.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: Apart from Jor-El, what other quotes did you enjoy from those movies?

Iara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: I mean it's not a bad quote on it's own but considering how he raised Loki I think the words are a bit hollow.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@ready_4_madness said:

"Does anyone have orange slices?"

"I can't physically throw up in my mouth"

"Clearly you've never made an omelette"

Lmao, that's unfair. I can handpick bad quotes from any franchise.

Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem is that most MCU quotes is milquetoast drivel that was written as an afterthought that one forgets in 5 seconds, eg. stuff like this

"Look when you can do the things that I can, but you don't. And then the bad things happen, they happen because of you."

Nothing about that is interesting or thoughtful. The "my life sucked but now I'll die with my buddies" from GoTG has also been around for ages, and doesn't really convey all that much. DCEU and Nolanverse aren't much higher but most of the dialogue there has more weight to it, mostly because the screenwriters for MoS, BvS and the whole Dark Knight series were left alone to do their thing without much studio interference

"Does anyone have orange slices?"

"I can't physically throw up in my mouth"

"Clearly you've never made an omelette"

Absolute cinema

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f
deactivated-5d9ffabf0f29f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America's movies alone take this for me.

"Abraham Erskine: Whatever happens tomorrow you must promise me one thing. That you will stay who you are. Not a perfect soldier, but a good man." - The First Avenger.

"Red Skull: Arrogance may not be a uniquely American trait, but I must say, you do it better than anyone. But there are limits to what even you can do, Captain, or did Erskine tell you otherwise?

Steve Rogers: He told me you were insane.

Red Skull: Ah. He resented my genius and tried to deny me what was rightfully mine, but he gave you everything. So, what made you so special?

Steve Rogers: Nothing. I'm just a kid from Brooklyn."

"Steve Rogers: You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?

James 'Bucky' Barnes: Hell, no! The little guy from Brooklyn who was too dumb not to run away from a fight. I'm following him."

"they shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone that stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. It always has been. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@don_higashikata:

BvS and the whole Dark Knight series were left alone to do their thing without much studio interference

WB lets their screenwriters do their things without much studio interference? Like giving David Ayer 6 weeks to write a script?

I'm interested in hearing which DCEU quotes you think are superior to the "afterthought" quotes in the MCU. I think Lex's quotes in BvS were pretty cool, but nothing else comes to mind.

Neither studios break new ground with their dialogue. "You will give the people of earth an ideal to strive towards" isn't exactly inventive either.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that MoS and BvS can compete with the whole MCU in quotes department is in itself a huge feat for DCEU. It doesn't mean MCU has bad quotes or lesser. Captain America series and Cap himself in the Avengers movies has delivered quite a few beautiful quotes

like 'The price of Freedom is high' quote from WS.

'Ultron thinks we're monsters ' quote by cap in AoU just before the final fight. etc. But MCU is mostly full of quips. that takes away the seriousness and the effect of the quotes.

DCEU on the other hand is dark gritty serious and along with some fantastic quotes, has a phenomenal background score which amplifiers the effect of the quotes. Jor-El, Batman, Alfred, Luthor, Even Superman all deliver some fantastic lines. Although it's really tough to choose, my personal favorite will always be the 'That's how it starts, The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness' quote by Alfred.

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Transformaa

"What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? What if a child aspired to something greater?" Jorel

"You just have to decide what kind of man you want to be Clark, because whoever that man is, good character or bad, it's gonna change the world." Jonathan Kent

The whole freaking dialog from Zod during his final battle was incredible..Even my dad said, "You can't get that type if speech from marvel." And his favorite movie is avengers

"We know better now that Devils don't come from hell beneath us, they come from the sky." LEX

"Tell me, Do you bleed? You will! Batman.. Probably the most under rated quote.

"Stay down, if I wanted it you'll be dead already!." Superman

"Nobody cares about Clark Kent taking on the Batman." Parry

"If man won't kill God, the Devil will do it!." Lex

"I will find him." Zod

"Is she with you? I thought she was with you." ..Batman superman

"You're not brave! Men are brave." Batman

"I figured out way back, if God is all powerful He cannot be all good. And if he is all good, then he cannot be all powerful. And neither can you be." Lex

"A good death is its own reward." Faora

"The greatest Gladiator match in the history of the world. God vs Man, Day vs Night.. the Son of Krypton vs Bat of Gotham." Lex

"Wow that's a good grip! You should not pick a fight with this person." Lex

"I'm not asking bruh! I live underground. Y'all just tourist." Killer croc

"I'm not going to kill ya! I'm just going to hurt cha.. really..really bad." Joker

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformaa:

"A good death is its own reward." Faora

Thank you for reminding me of that! Faora was the MVP of that fight.

Damn, I love like, 70% of that movie.

Don_Higashikata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@don_higashikata:

BvS and the whole Dark Knight series were left alone to do their thing without much studio interference

WB lets their screenwriters do their things without much studio interference? Like giving David Ayer 6 weeks to write a script?

I'm interested in hearing which DCEU quotes you think are superior to the "afterthought" quotes in the MCU. I think Lex's quotes in BvS were pretty cool, but nothing else comes to mind.

Neither studios break new ground with their dialogue. "You will give the people of earth an ideal to strive towards" isn't exactly inventive either.

Note I excluded Suicide Squad from my list, they screwed the pooch there big time. No wonder the movie turned out awful. Gives hope that they won't stick their noses in again like that.

I'd say that in BvS and MoS Snyder gives more resonance and meaning to dialogue. It's not just "here is the designated quiet moment, say something with a serious face so we can get back to quipping and bad fight scenes". Like Clark talking to his father about whether he is responsible for the safety of those around him, and we see his struggle and eventual acceptance of that responsibility as he grows through the movie. When Erskine tells Cap to keep being good it doesn't affect much, as Cap was good before it and stays good after. Not to say it's bad or anything, it's just not very important. You can skip it without significant change to the plot.

I know, though it does reflect on the overall narrative and the character arc.

Havenless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: haha, that's the most backhanded compliment I've ever heard! At first you think, " he really liked it!" Then it's more like "...wait a minute...."

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 anthp2000  Moderator

DCEU

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Honestly DCEU

MOS's Villains had great ones

BVS Lex Luthor's were pretty good.

Suicide Squad....Nah maybe one

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@don_higashikata:

Note I excluded Suicide Squad from my list, they screwed the pooch there big time. No wonder the movie turned out awful. Gives hope that they won't stick their noses in again like that.

Same. 6 weeks for any movie, much less a big budget ensemble film, is way too little.

Like Clark talking to his father about whether he is responsible for the safety of those around him, and we see his struggle and eventual acceptance of that responsibility as he grows through the movie.

Can't you also say "Clark is saving people before it, and saves people after it" about this quote as well?

When Erskine tells Cap to keep being good it doesn't affect much, as Cap was good before it and stays good after. Not to say it's bad or anything, it's just not very important.

It's important to understanding Cap's character. The point is that Erskine chose Steve for the super-soldier experiment specifically because as a person with such little power in his entire life, Steve will understand the value of his newfound power and will not about it. That scene is important in understanding why Cap remains true to his convictions.