which super hero has the saddest history

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@nickthedevil: You haven't read Old Man Logan haven't you?

He works harder than Batman, there is a ton of proof that he does. If you don't agree then that's fine, but Wolverine works harder, that's all I'm saying.

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Banner, Eric Draven (The Crow), Daredevil, any woman that wolverine has ever loved or come in to contact with.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil: You haven't read Old Man Logan haven't you?

He works harder than Batman, there is a ton of proof that he does. If you don't agree then that's fine, but Wolverine works harder, that's all I'm saying.

Yes, I have, it was good but not canon. He doesn't work harder than Batman.

Hollow_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Punisher

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil: *facepalm*

Tell me everything Batman has done that equals what Wolverine has been through.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil: *facepalm*

Tell me everything Batman has done that equals what Wolverine has been through.

Going through things, and having a bad past are not the same thing.

Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By nickthedevil

@nickthedevil: Wolverine has went through both.

Yes, he has worked hard, but not like Batman has to, every single day. Batman has had to work to where he is. That's true hard work. Wolverine was born with a healing factor and infused with unbreakable metal bones. I have no idea why you're arguing that point.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Kara Zor El, aka Supergirl.

Planet destroyed and she remembers it.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

Kara Zor El, aka Supergirl.

Planet destroyed and she remembers it.

At least her race dying didn't leave her alone on an empty planet for years; burying every other person she's ever known and then some.

Appzashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry/Robert Reynolds

Nuff said.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#162  Edited By amazing_webhead

Deadpool

• He has cancer
  • He's mentally ill and seriously needs help
  • Every other hero sees him as nothing but a soulless killer, even when he does try to be better
  • It's been shown more than once that his goofy demeanor hides a tortured man within
  • Did I mention he has cancer?
  • The X-Men won't allow him in, even know they of all people should understand how nobody accepts him
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Appzashok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? He's really that old?

SolidWall211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By SolidWall211
No Caption Provided

@amazingwebhead: I agree! Deadpool has extreme low self esteem issues. he's one of the heroes, who can't have the love of his life, or to walk down the sunset or any type of happy ending, because he has no ending. He lives for an eternity with cancer that ruined him externally and internally, and he keeps it hidden with dark humor, and sarcasm. Another reason why he has such poor social skills. Deadpool is a extremely lonely person.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Martian Manhunter by far

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

plenty to think of

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I see Hulk story to be pretty sad, i mean:

• World fears him, hates and his hunted like an animal
  • He wants to bring good, but he can't
  • He lost all the women she loved
  • Suffered from abuse from his parents
Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#168  Edited By Teerack

@jnr6lil said:

@catfightfan said:

The answer simply must be Benjamin J. Grimm, aka The Thing and here is why:

(1) He lost his desired love Susan Storm to Reed Richards.

(2) He became a grotesque rocky guy when the FF were changed by cosmic rays.

(3) Susan is the one who called him the terrible name "The Thing".

(4) He found a long-time girlfriend, Alicia Masters, only to have her fall in love almost 300 issues later with Johnny Storm and then marry him.

I agree that is sad but are normal human problems.

I would say Batman has the saddest history, No little kid should have their parents gunned down in front of them.

It can't be batman because having your parent's killed in front of you is as common as in comic origins as clouds are in the sky. Iron Frist's parent's were killed in front of him a lot more violent and brutally then Batman's were and because of that he's suffered from severe depression had to go to a ton of therapy for it, and hasn't been happy in years even though he's able to put up a decent front most of the time just to name one example.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The answer simply must be Benjamin J. Grimm, aka The Thing and here is why:

(1) He lost his desired love Susan Storm to Reed Richards.

(2) He became a grotesque rocky guy when the FF were changed by cosmic rays.

(3) Susan is the one who called him the terrible name "The Thing".

(4) He found a long-time girlfriend, Alicia Masters, only to have her fall in love almost 300 issues later with Johnny Storm and then marry him.

Wow,I can't even... Just wow... Never thought of it that way,but yeah,It's very sad.

Avatar image for marvete_e_dcnauta
Marvete_e_DCnauta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jackie Estacado,being the host of the darkness ruined his life.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rorschach has the worst history if you actually think about it..... Also the worst life....

Batman might have experienced the biggest trauma of them all, but his wealth and social stature should have ameliorated his pain to some extent.

While Daredevil also seems to start out a little sad, thanks to Mark Waid there is no reason to think he doesn't love his radar sense. He did lose his dad but he got over it, unlike Batman.

I'll go with Rorschach for now.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Spiderman

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

still Martian Manhunter

Harriso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce Banner or Punisher definitley have it the worst.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crow

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

DEADPOOL and DAREDEVIL

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Benk111

Daredevil

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Just_Banter
No Caption Provided

easy.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

Martian Manhunter all day every day

Avatar image for bossdarksied355
Bossdarksied355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Bossdarksied355

Vulcans story is kinda sad, editorially of course. Marvel could have had a really great character but they shat all over him and made him into a superboy prime knock off.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crow

No Caption Provided

Not sure that he count, but I agree, his story is damn depressing. I cried.

... But I have a bad habit about crying, sooooo...

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waezi2 said:

@fuzzylittlerodent said:

The Crow

No Caption Provided

Not sure that he count, but I agree, his story is damn depressing. I cried.

... But I have a bad habit about crying, sooooo...

Why wouldn't it count? Yeah, I was quite in a rough place back then and reading this book didn't help...

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has to be Jason Todd. Really messed up childhood, had to steal and fight for basically all his adolescence, watched his mother die, found out she was still alive, found out his mother was merely just luring him to Joker, dies a gruesome death, gets resurrected, finds out that Joker "made" him, at least now he's with Starfire and Arsenal to sort of keep him grounded.

NothingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By NothingClever

The Plutonian, "Irredeemable."

Where do I even start? If you haven't read Mark Waid's "Irredeemable," A.) you should, and B.) the following may ruin the plot for you if you haven't read it... which you should.

The Plutonian's personal history is tragic.

• Since childhood he has been cognizant of others being terrified of him due to his powers. This continues all throughout adulthood and his career as a super hero. Even his teammates are afraid of him to a certain degree (enough that several prepare possible counter measures just in case he turns).
  • His adoptive father raised him with a rigid dogma of selflessness and control. Unfortunately the position is untenable and it puts Plutonian under terrible pressure. This ideology results in the deaths of his adoptive parents.
  • He is trolled by the public regardless of his success. The public always want more. He is basically betrayed by a public he has saved countless times.
  • His powers make it so that he can't be physically intimate with anyone. Ever (for fear of slaying them).
  • The first time he takes a 10 minute break in his entire super career results in a bunch of children dying
  • Due to super hearing he is aurally awash in cries for help from all over the world all the time.
  • All the fear and pressure lead to a complete mental breakdown. Throughout the whole series Plutonian seems practically bipolar. He vacillates between committing horrible acts to begging for forgiveness and then back to cruelty. He reminds me of Superboy Prime.
  • He murders millions of people, which he seems to enjoy most of the time but at various points in the series he becomes remorseful and horrified by his own actions.
  • His mental breakdown leads to him basically going catatonic at one point. He is beaten and imprisoned by aliens. Still catatonic, he is forced into dangerous manual labor.
  • He gets raped by aliens.
  • He is imprisoned in a cosmic asylum.
  • He was actually not supposed to exist. He was originally intended to be a construct or probe that would travel the world and record data about humanity. His creators however, had not accounted for human willpower and emotion. The probe is drawn to an especially strong outpouring of emotion an desperate need. A woman's need for a child actually restructures him into an infant.
  • The woman's need was so strong because she was psychotic and had recently murdered her own infant. When presented with a new "miracle infant" she continually tried to murder him.
  • When he eventually encounters hi "real parents" (who are kind of an analogous mix of Marvel's Celestials and Watchers) they beat him, flay him, and abandon him at the heat death of the universe.
  • He gets violently raped by his arch nemesis inhabiting the body of his teammate/obsession.
  • His final act as a super hero is to save the world from deadly radiation by flying around the world and absorbing it into a device. In the process he absorbs so much radiation that it discorporates him back to his essence which is scattered over time and space.

In the end he is betrayed by teammates and remains irredeemable despite his last heroic effort.

His story is incredibly tragic. He is doomed from the start. Irredeemable before he reaches his teens. As a super hero his successes vastly outnumber his failures but the failures are what haunts him and ultimately what he is judged by.

There's that ethical question: "would you kill 1 person to save 1,000?" The Plutonian isn't even of offered the luxury of that concept as a super hero. He just fails to save 1001 people but between external and internal pressures he is basically held responsible for that 1 life lost despite his best efforts. Every little imperfection shines brighter than his overwhelming resume of good deeds. Every snarky comment or insult by a member of the public eclipses the praise for his heroism. My point is that the Plutonian is mentally tortured from the moment he gains sentience to the moment of his death/discorporation.

Now don't get me wrong, he is still his comic universe's greatest force of evil. An unparalleled murderer. A sadistic psychopath determined to avenge himself on an unworthy public. A tragic figure who is explicitly a product of his environment.

My 2 cents. Sorry no scans.

Tristan_Hartup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blade - His mother was attacked by a vampire and he was born half-vampire.

Avatar image for frank_castle757
Frank_Castle757

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Frank_Castle757

Some will probably call me a homer on this but I'm going with Punisher. And I think it's a legit argument.

Had his wife and two little kids slaughtered right in front of him. Was a regular upstanding citizen before then. But after the slaying, basically loses damn near every bit of compassion and humility he ever had and proceeds to let vengeance and the self-given task of "punishing the wicked" consume him every single minute of every single day.

Pretty damn sad and incredibly badass

TBEMrMcCoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher. His kids got blasted to death man.

Emperor777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman and Martian Manhunter both will forever be outcasts.

I'll also add someone who was a hero Superboy Prime, he's entire universe died and he went insane.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Crow

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Reno117

Daredevil for me..

Zaeroar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil he is poor his dad died when he was very young he is blind his girlfreind traded his identity for drugs his girlfreindis dead he had a mental breackdown he never lived with his mother

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By daingermouz20

IMO Spawn is the saddest. Selling his soul to go back and see Wanda. He's sent back 5 yrs after his death. Wanda is now married to his best friend(I would've killed him) They have a child together. He's. A grotesque looking creature a Hellspawn. Not saying Spidey & Bats aren't sad also though.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Nite_Nite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't be Bruce. He was a billionaire. When kids in poor neighborhoods folks get killed in front of them guess where those kids will be next week? In a classroom less the government comes to take them away for educational purpose. Except whoever family member they live w/ now usually has a household of their own and that means less money to go around because there's another person to feed. There's going to be a lot of sleeping on the floor and cereal for dinner.

The Thing literally has problems normal people have except for having a rocky exterior. Which by now could've been rid of several times. It's unfortunate but not "saddest backstory" unfortunate.

Wade's situation sucks compared to those two.

Regarding Marvel I don't see any hero/antihero story being as harsh as Frank Castle. Grown man w/ family. Watch them die in front of you. See you guys worry about parents dying or girlfriends leaving. But your actual child dying in front of you is much worse, most parents don't want to leave the earth after their kids. It's something not many marvel good guys have dealt with. Speaking for the humans and offshoots of course.

Xargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

easy.

yea..its pretty hard to top martian manhunter when it comes to tragedy

-watches helplessly as his wife and daughter burn to death,

-tries to maintain his own life as his people burn to death

-finds out that his twin brother was responsible for all of it